Aug. 31st, 2006 - Sacramento, CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  08:11:34  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.harlows.com/

Tickets requests, reviews, setlists... please post here.

Denis

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's going to this, aside from darwin and me? Anybody know whether there's gonna be an opening act? The Harlow's site doesn't show any.

Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  14:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you heard Rabbit Hole and Dead Man's Curve yet? Sweet merciful crap, they are good. Like retarded good. The Water Song as well sounds dandy, but those two new ones have really hit me, and I have a weird mixture of the two stuck in my head. I cannot wait to hear full band versions of them. Anyway, enjoy the show, I look forward to your review.

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  16:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've heard and love 'em. I've been downloading the shows, back to Cafe du Nord, but this week I'm trying to lay off the recent acoustic stuff. Gotta stay fresh. Did listen to all of FMRM last night, prepping for the disc 2 survivor voting.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  00:02:18  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus
Did listen to all of FMRM last night, prepping for the disc 2 survivor voting.

Thanks for your dedication.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  12:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the Harlow's page is saying a 9:30 start time (rather than 10). Still nothing about an opening act.
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  02:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of repeating myself and, indeed, making me want to eat a camera, could you take some photos if at all possible and make them available to the gallery. Darwin & Erebus, as senior members of the forum, I know I can rely on you.

Enjoy the show.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  11:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
enjoy sac
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait until tonight......I'm going from sonoma county. Yeah I'll try to get some pics.......the only thing is I hate using a camera sometimes in a small place.....you generally need a flash....its gotta be annoying even if one flash goes off in your eye...........

KJM
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  13:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow I will paint a vivid word picture (perhaps of the show).
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  13:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vivid word picture....nice......almost better than a photograph.....leaves more to the imagination

"Her house was filled, with many birds....she said to me 'I can understand their words' "

KJM
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is from memory and using Brian's compiled list as a guide. So, please anyone edit or add if you remember other songs (am I missing something from FMRM?). This isn't in order other than L.A. was first and Manitoba was last. Eric Drew Feldman was in the crowd and there were two video cameras setup on tripods.

Erebus will be back late day or tomorrow and can give a better description. I thought it was a great show. The man with his guitar just rips through one song after another. The only screw up was on Los Angeles which he said he had screwed up the night before. For Where is Your Mind? it was only the first few bars and then it was into a great version of Two Reelers.

Los Angeles
Horrible Day
Holiday Song
Where Is My Mind? (about 3 seconds)
Two Reelers (this was great)
Cactus
Wave of Mutilation
Brackish Boy
Big Red
Calistan
Sing for Joy
Six-Sixty Six
Whiskey in Your Shoes
Suffering
Ed is Dead
Bullet
I'll Be Blue
California Bound
Massif Central
Nadine
I Burn Today
Song of the Shrimp
My Life Is In Storage
Raider Man
Fitzgerald
Dead Man's Curve
Manitoba

Go to Top of Page

Noah Nelson
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Massif Centrale was last.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Ed Is Dead" in a Frank solo show...?

Would this be a first (those solo electric gigs when the Pixies were still together aside)?

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 09/01/2006 14:04:14
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, it might be. Nothing pops to mind right away...

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't believe it (Ed is Dead) until someone else confirms it.

robyo mentioned it in the other thread and I think he's right, but mt memory is terrible.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16900
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  15:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Tomorrow I will paint a vivid word picture (perhaps of the show).

more word pictures.

Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apesy

"Ed Is Dead" in a Frank solo show...?

Would this be a first (those solo electric gigs when the Pixies were still together aside)?

-=Apesy

Right before he played "Ed is Dead" there was a pause.....I generally try to keep annoying yelling of requests to a minimum but there was a pause and I took advantage ( I was right up front row) I was pretty close....so anyway I took advantage and yelled "Fast Man" and he looked at me and said something, I was unsure what he said and my girlfriend (who was closer than me) said he said "I don't have a band " or "I need a band " ( this is how he, coincidentally, opened up the show he said "I don't have a band") back to the story....so he said something to the effect that he needed a band when I requested "FastMan" ....then someone went to the other end of the spectrum and yelled a generic "Play some Pixies" request..............He played "Ed is Dead".......I was stoked

I'm going to post a full review or "word picture" a little later. I had a great time..front row while FB poured his heart out
I'm about to put some Photos up also

KJM

Edited by - moksha23x on 09/01/2006 16:04:46
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the Oyster bar right next store to Harlow's (the venue) ....kinda funny

Below is a picture of the stage Pre-show....I'm very excited because I know I have my pick of the litter of seats

SOUL (NOTE the Rose-Colored Glasses)

SOUL

SOUL

KJM

Edited by - moksha23x on 09/01/2006 18:50:52
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  17:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn, that looks like a small place
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  19:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi moksha23x, really nice photos.

Edited by - Carl on 09/01/2006 20:51:04
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  20:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an absolutely amazing show! Never seen anything like it. But, to begin, darwin and I arrived within 5 minutes of one another. Nice little intimate club, set up with chairs and tables up front, but easy for the couple hundred of us hardcore to get close. Harlow's is a comfortable, clean and professional. It was great seeing darwin again. Enjoyed the conversation. Maybe again in November. Regarding photos, I asked about it and was told no go, which is what I get for requesting permission. Opening act was the Proles, local I think, a two piece on guitar and ukelele/keyboard. First ever acoustic set, they said. Competent but run-o-mill.

Short changeover between, so Frank caught me short and at the back of the crowd packed around the chair section. The show was filmed in its entirety, perhaps semi-professionally I would say. After a while the crowd thinned a little and I was able to move forward to where darwin was, dead center about, what, 25 feet if that. For most of the show I could view Frank, head almost to toe, just standing there, holding forth like a buddha. I was shocked, for the entire show, at Frank’s presence and will. He just stood there, artistically naked as the jaybird, and completely commanded the material and the space. Pure power of form and execution. For the entire set the lighting did not change at all. Had a surreal quality to it, like there was this Frank marionette standing in a simple doll house living room, belting out pop masterpieces like nobody else ever. (Baggie attire: charcoal grey (the photo says black but from where I was it looked charcoal) top over striped mauve (?) slacks, with magenta (?) bubble sunglasses. A piece of performance art.) Seemed like he could have done it for three hours easy. Highlights for me were Holiday Song, Cactus, Wave (different), Big Red, Calistan, Suffering, Six-Sixty-Six, Bullet, I’ll Be Blue, Nadine (different), Massif Centrale, Fitzgerald, Raider Man, and Manitoba.

The show still has me stunned. Really hope we get a lossless recording of this. First time I’d seen him solo so the raw power was striking. Before the show darwin wondered whether any significance was to be attached to this being the last show of the current solo tour. Frank definitely was in the house. Most amazing show I’ve ever seen.

Edited by - Erebus on 09/01/2006 20:24:14
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  20:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darwin spotting Feldman was cool. I bet Feldman loved the show.

And in reply to the defunct “Why the Sacramento Music Scene Sucks!” thread:

I was in center audience and only once did I hear the chatter, for a few minutes. Frank did seem to telegraph an awareness of that, but my sense of his emotional state was that he shrugged and turned up the volume. I think Frank likes Harlow’s, and I think that he will be back. The chatter is always unwelcome but it wasn’t much of a factor for me personally. No need to apologize for Sacramento. I enjoyed my visit.

Edited by - Erebus on 09/01/2006 20:49:57
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  22:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK....FB killed it.....it was an incredible show...The man and his guitar. Me and my girlfriend came out from Sonoma County got to Sac around 5:30 ...went to a record store called "The Beat" to pick up Tix, checked into the hotel on the same street as the venue showered and headed to the venue....when we got there at 6:30 there was barely anyone there and those who were weren't there for the show......We talked to the door lady and asked if we ate there would we already be in the show, meaning would we have to wait in line or anything....she said you get first dibs......So we ate some appetizers and drinks and then took the front and center table and seats (they didn't serve food at stage floor)..I was excited to say the least.
By the time the opening band called the "prohles" came on there were a decent number of people there standing room in the back. The "Prohles" were some young local kids....They said "sorry if we sound bad we've never done an acoustic show"......I think they did a great job......in fact I went up to the lead guitar player and told him it was to the contrary of "sounding bad" and I dug the show...I then asked him if he was staying to hear FB....he said "are you kidding of course I am that guys one of my heroes" ( or to that effect).....
So I go back to my seat for the beginning of the show.....The man walks out dressed in black wearing "rose colored" glasses. Everyone was cheering and he came up to the mic and said something like "I don't have a band man". Well for me he did his best "Jesse Fuller one man band" with his voice and guitar....he killed it! Bandless and all!
So he grabbed his guitar and broke into Los Angeles....yes! Umm I guess I'll just talk about some of my personal highlights besides being right there arm's distance while FB poured out his heart.....
1.Horrible day- I've always had a personal connection with this song I first heard it live in SF during the show he did with Roy Zimmerman at Cobb's Comedy Club.....It was one of those songs that I loved live on first hear. Well to the point I loved hearing him sing it last night.....I love the point in the song when he sings "Now death as you’d expect was all dressed up in black"....its the point where I need to yell out a hoot.....His energy level told me I was in for something special
2.Two Reelers was awesome....heard he played it in Santa Cruz....thought it'd be interesting hearing it solo acoustic glad I did
3.Wave of mutilation was nice...
4.calistan...yes
5. Sing for Joy....Uh -Huh
6. Six-Sixty-Six....He did this with no guitar....my girlfriend said it reminded her of how this irish folk band the "clancy brothers " do some of their work....we saw them at the Black horn Tavern near Bridgewater, Mass and they were at this little place sitting around in different seats throughout the tavern...I think they were just hangin' with each other like friends....Various old cats would stand up Beer in Hand and belt out a song with no instrument.....I thought her take, on six-sixty-six, was interesting but the point being is she didn't even know the song and she pointed it out to me later...she asked me later what was that song? I informed her it was a Larry Norman Christian song.....But anyway, it impressed someone who didn't know the song....It also impressed me...Thanks
7. Suffering....Cheers
8. Ed is dead.....This was the point in the show where as I said above there was a pause after suffering and I took advantage of the Pause and yelled the request "Fast Man"......FB looked at me or in my direction and said something....couldn't make it out asked my girlfriend ":what'd he just say? she said "I don't have a band man".....Then someone went to the other end of the spectrum (New-Old) and yelled a generic "Play some Pixies"...He broke into "Ed is Dead" ( kind of interesting that he said I can't play Fast Man "I have no band....and instead goes into a song by his old band)....I was stoked earlier in the week overdosing on Frank I found this version of the song on "youTube":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONfsd9dlFFs

This version (linked above) is really incredible....I really loved what he did with it tonight although he didn't go as crazy as he did in the video above with all the vocal improvisation,....but he has no band man! I loved hearing it....played it great and I was happy because I had been resonating with the song the past week.
9. Bullet- At the end of Ed is Dead I got up to go get drinks for me and my girl.....I knew I could still listen....As I was at the bar he broke into "Bullet" he was really killin it at this point and someone at the bar said "He's fu#$ing killing it man"...I agreed and went back to my seats...thinking how much I loved this song...I lost my pop last summer>>> It reminds me of him and just after "ed is dead"..... weird
10. California Bound......Headed to San Francisco from Boston, MA trailing the Grateful Dead in 1993...never looked back (except to go visit my family of course)....I love this song too...Thanks
11. I burn Today......Also love this song...I couldn't help but tHINK he was singing this in homage to the Burning Man Festival happening up the road a ways...Last summer when I was all amped at burning Man turning everyone on to his new album...I played I burn today at every camp to show the song that the man wrote, maybe unknowingly, FOR Burning Man......
"Yes today I will burn
For the times I did not learn"
Come on that's Burning man in a nutshell....I'm upset I couldn't go this year....but thankfully FB reminded me with some beautiful words
12. My Life is in Storage.........Me and my girlfriend looked at each other and smirked...we've been moving every year (yes I still rent BS) so this song is sort of an anthem....just found a new house to rent...yes...No longer is my Life in storage
13. Fitzgerald....Even though this was near the end this was a high point for me.....I had read on this site that he had been playing "Fitzgerald" and I hadn't heard too much FMRM....I said in my girlfriends ear "He's going to play Fitzgerald" Meaning at some point.....a second after I said it he started strumming none other than "Fitzgerald"...Did he hear my whisper? coincidence? psychic connection? I will never know.....
The show rocked!
After the show we had a drink on the patio and started talking to some cat at the bus....I think he was local but he was saying how whole fam was waitin' inside the bus...Rock n' Roll family MF!!!!
A woman came out of the bus and said "alright get him out here" ( or again something to that effect)...the man said that's violet or something and me and my girlfriend got to chat with her for a second....A really nice beautiful woman.....
All in all my trip from the coastline was well worth it!
Thank You FB!!

KJM

Edited by - moksha23x on 09/02/2006 12:44:54
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  05:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great reviews and pictures everyone!
This thread is a very enjoyable read.
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  06:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are some incredible reviews guys. Thanks.

-Tom
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus
Before the show darwin wondered whether any significance was to be attached to this being the last show of the current solo tour. Frank definitely was in the house. Most amazing show I’ve ever seen.

i always find that the last date of the tour is the best. you guys are so lucky... sounds like a great show
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  09:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
moksha, thanks very much for the pictures. Is it ok if I put them into the fb.net gallery?

And those reviews sound fantastic.

What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Llamadance on 09/02/2006 09:39:01
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  12:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

moksha, thanks very much for the pictures. Is it ok if I put them into the fb.net gallery?

Yeah, of course, put them in the gallery!

KJM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000