-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Le Nouveu Musique

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
speedy_m Posted - 08/01/2006 : 12:19:47
Why is that in French? I don't know, let's move on...

Lately (ie. 2006) I find I haven't had the time (inclination?) to keep up with "the new music" as much as I used to. You get behind and pretty soon you don't know Band of Horses from They Shoot Horses, Don't They?. So if someone could be so kind as to fill me in on what new, debut (or there abouts, see below) albums are really worth my time this year, I'd appreciate it. This thread is inspired by the review of the new Midlake album on Popmatters. As stated above, debut albums is what I'm aiming at, but if I didn't hear a bands first record (like Midlake), then I'm interested in their new amazing trax on wax. How are you, humble reader, supposed to know what I have and haven't heard? I dont' know, let's move on...

he's back jack smoking crack find him if you want to get found
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/23/2006 : 05:28:54
Denis, Love Is All. I did mention them earlier.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
cassandra is Posted - 08/22/2006 : 10:45:56
French shit? that must smell very very bad

pas de bras pas de chocolat
floop Posted - 08/22/2006 : 10:41:35
this topic is so fancy. all French and shit
vilainde Posted - 08/22/2006 : 10:27:22
who the hell are you talking about?

Denis

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/22/2006 : 10:17:33
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Aren't they Swedish or Norwegian or something? Swedish bands are so hot right now. And no, I haven't heard them, but PFork sure loves them. I'll check 'em out.

The more I listen, the more I like. I'd say this is my favourite record of the year so far.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/21/2006 : 10:07:21
Yeah I though that about the lead singer at first. I soon got passed that though.

Tilly and The Wall have one great song, 'Reckless', the rest of what I have heard is pretty dull. Cute though (the girls anyway).

speedy_m Posted - 08/21/2006 : 09:53:54
Tilly and the Wall I only gave a few spins. Something about these seemingly novelty bands (tap dancing! teenagers!) subconsciously turns me off and I don't give them a fair shake. Well my uppence has come, and there will be new shakes all around.

And also I thought Be Your Own Pet sounded like Be Your Own Karen O. But we'll see.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/21/2006 : 09:48:27
Whilst you make reference to them, what do you think of Tilly And The Wall?

Yes, it's possibly their age, but then I kind of like that. They are writing songs their way, which I guess is at least something to admire them for, even if you don't like the end product. God love 'em, little scallywags!

speedy_m Posted - 08/21/2006 : 09:34:09
I listened through Be Your Own Pet once. I'm everything I hate about professional reviewers! There was just nothing calling me back. I bought it, so I will listen to it more, but the songwriting seemed a bit amatuerish to me. Do I feel that way because I know they're all teenagers? Maybe. It's been a long time since I listened to a band without knowing the scoop on them (they're Swedish, they're teenagers, they have a tapdacer instead of drummer, etc).

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/21/2006 : 09:30:31
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

How does everyone feel about the influx of Eastern European/Gypsy influence on indie rock? In general, i really like it, but i'm afraid its going to become a really easy thing to copy. Man Man's been playing around with it for a few years now, but with Beirut and DeVotchKa gaining momentum, it seems more like a trend than a new facet of the genre.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com

It's not passed by me as yet, other than with Gogol Bordello. Therefore I am enjoying it right now. Looking forward to seeing them in a few days time.

Mike2, yes they are Swedish I think. I must admit, I quite like Be Your Own Pet's album. I wasn't very impressed with them live though at Reading last year. They are playing the Thurston Moore-curated All Tomorrow's Parties festival in December, so I will give them another go then.

Broken Face Posted - 08/21/2006 : 07:43:20
quote:

Every time one of these trends comes along, it's really cool at first and invogorates a stale genre. Then every new indie band does it, and it starts to get tired. And then the Killers come out and you hate every band with synths and dance beats.

A wise quote from a wise man.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/21/2006 : 07:32:15
Hey did you make it to The Old Soul/Run Chico Run? I lost track of time dancing at Folkfest and also was medicating my pained legs with Ouzo so I couldn't go there myself anyway. Which sucks, until FB in Nov was announced it was my most anticipated show this year.

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
speedy_m Posted - 08/21/2006 : 07:09:33
Every time one of these trends comes along, it's really cool at first and invogorates a stale genre. Then every new indie band does it, and it starts to get tired. And then the Killers come out and you hate every band with synths and dance beats.

Broken Face Posted - 08/21/2006 : 06:40:18
How does everyone feel about the influx of Eastern European/Gypsy influence on indie rock? In general, i really like it, but i'm afraid its going to become a really easy thing to copy. Man Man's been playing around with it for a few years now, but with Beirut and DeVotchKa gaining momentum, it seems more like a trend than a new facet of the genre.

speedy_m Posted - 08/21/2006 : 06:33:05
Aren't they Swedish or Norwegian or something? Swedish bands are so hot right now. And no, I haven't heard them, but PFork sure loves them. I'll check 'em out. I just bought Silversun Pickups (not bad so far) and Be Your Own Pet (respect level for Thurston Moore: plummeting).

jediroller Posted - 08/21/2006 : 06:16:39
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

quote:

jediroller turned me into them
Impressive.

Mmmh... yeah, well, you get the idea.

Denis

'twasn't me though, I haven't even heard them yet.

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/21/2006 : 05:27:14
Do you know Love Is All Mike2? I bought their album at the weekend, and I am very impressed.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/04/2006 : 07:39:55
quote:

quote:

Impressive.

Hail to the king, baby!

Damn it, this made me laugh out loud at work.

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
vilainde Posted - 08/04/2006 : 06:17:10
quote:

quote:

Impressive.

Mmmh... yeah, well, you get the idea.

Denis

beds Posted - 08/04/2006 : 06:10:27
Raised by Swans. Playing in my town tonight! Check out raisedbyswans.com
Cheeseman1000 Posted - 08/04/2006 : 05:57:56
quote:

Impressive.

Hail to the king, baby!
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/04/2006 : 05:22:43
They have two albums. Go get the other one too.

vilainde Posted - 08/04/2006 : 05:02:02
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

They are a kinda folky, country, bluegrass duo from San Francisco. I am rubbish at desribing music though.

Mmhhh... indeed. They're more punk than anything. Let's say "punk-folk". It's a guitar & drums duo, with a bit of harmonica. Anyway, yeah, they're awesome. jediroller turned me into them, I downloaded their album (I haven't been able to find it here yet) and listen to it a lot.

Denis

speedy_m Posted - 08/03/2006 : 19:41:30
In that case mosley, might I recommend Bob's latest solo album as a first listen before his side project work? "From A Compound Eye" is Bob at his finest. His new one, "Normal Happiness" which is due in October promises to be amazing from what I've heard.

I'll look into those bands, thanks for the tip!

mosleyk Posted - 08/03/2006 : 17:08:19
quote:

And for my dear mosley, if you like Bob Pollard, you will love his new side project with Tommy Keene, "The Keene Brothers - Blues and Boogies Shoes". Generally I (a ridiculous fan of all things Bob) take at least 3 - 5 spins to even minorly enjoy a new Bob product. This one took an unprecedented TWO spins before I thought it was some level of genius. Seriously, it's good. It probably won't change your life (but how many albums do?), but it will be on repeat on your turntable and in your head for days.

Okay...this is beyond weird. I swear while I was on my drive to work this morning and "Glad Girls" came on the radio and I thought to myself..."I wonder what Bob Pollard is doing these days..." I swear! I also kicked myself again for not going to any GBV shows.

Thanks for the tip. I knew I could depend on you!!! also, check out deadboy and the elephantmen and let me know what you think. Warning...like alot of music in 2006 it isn't exactly ground breaking, but I would be curious of your opinion.
Carl Posted - 08/03/2006 : 12:08:39
Thanks, Homers.

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/03/2006 : 11:20:38
Here's another.

'Sister In Love' by Envelopes

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C2541F0B1655DFA2

Skatealex1 Posted - 08/03/2006 : 11:13:06
speedy check out Bishop Allen- bishopallen.com theyre making a new ep every month so if you like them youll have new music for awhile

The Truth Is Out There
Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/03/2006 : 11:07:10
Here's your first one. 'Cherry Lips' by Archie Bronson Outfit.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CBAE651C655FB402

Do you know Ambulance Ltd?

speedy_m Posted - 08/03/2006 : 10:54:07
That's a fabulous idea. I have the first Vetiver and Espers albums, and they are quite mellow, alomst like ambient folk. I hear their new albums are a bit more lively. I have Vashti's album from the 70s, but I only listened to it once and everyone seems to love her new one. I've never heard of Howling Bels.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/03/2006 : 10:51:37
They are a kinda folky, country, bluegrass duo from San Francisco. I am rubbish at desribing music though.

I was also given some recommendations from a girl in a bar not too long ago. I have downloaded quite a bit by them, but haven't had time to listen to them yet (I do this a lot). They were Vashti Bunyan, Vetiver and Espers. I also have some Palace Brothers that I have listened to very little of.

How about Howling Bells, heard of them?

If you like, I can send you tracks from all the bands I am recommending here. Better still, I can put them on Yousendit so everyone can listen, should they be so inclined.

speedy_m Posted - 08/03/2006 : 10:42:07
I know OF them, like I know OF taffy, but haven't really experienced the excellent joy that is taffy. I can even imgaine what taffy tastes like, to extend my analogy futher, and could see circustances wherein I would enjoy it.

So anyway tell me about Two Gallants.

Homers_pet_monkey Posted - 08/03/2006 : 10:38:52
Sorry to flip back to America Mike, but am I right in assuming you know Two Gallants?

speedy_m Posted - 08/03/2006 : 10:33:05
Wow guys... apparently I suck now. Thanks for nothing Carolyn! And thank you for the kind comment mosley. I was thinking about this some, and I guess it's not so much that I haven't heard any of the new stuff this year (though of course there's great big gobs of it haven't heard or even heard of), it's just that what I have heard hasn't really thrilled me. Also, I've been delving into established artists I like more, like my late 05/early 06 infatuation with all things Bowie. It can take a while to get through a back catalogue like that. And I'm still only a few albums in. Right now I'm mired in an "all things Macca" funk where all I want to hear are his sweet melodies and trite lyrics. I've been listening to Wings, people. A lot. Who has time for the lastest XTC knock off when you're listening to fucking WINGS? And I haven't even listened to XTC! Also, thanks to FM/RM, I'm suddenly very into mellow, downtempo, bluesy, breezy, rootsy stuff, and the kids don't really jive that way these days. I mean, look at Man Man. Also, I used to drive a lot more than I do now, and driving gave me a lot of time to listen to new music.

And for my dear mosley, if you like Bob Pollard, you will love his new side project with Tommy Keene, "The Keene Brothers - Blues and Boogies Shoes". Generally I (a ridiculous fan of all things Bob) take at least 3 - 5 spins to even minorly enjoy a new Bob product. This one took an unprecedented TWO spins before I thought it was some level of genius. Seriously, it's good. It probably won't change your life (but how many albums do?), but it will be on repeat on your turntable and in your head for days.

mosleyk Posted - 08/03/2006 : 09:44:02
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

What a sad day indeed when speedy has to ask about new music.
Welcome to my world old man...;)

I know what you mean...I used to specifically search out speedy's posts knowing I could depend on his excellent taste in new music. I guess we all have to be pushed out of the nest at some point.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000