New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  19:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive been listening to fast man raiderman alot recently, and ive noticed half the album is fucking amazing. from cult of ray to honeycomb (discluding dog in the sand because its just pure brilliance) the albums have been solid, but with only a few really great tracks that really stand out...half of this double album really stands out and ranks among his best in my opinion. it was released only a year after honeycomb which had plenty of amazing songs (selkie bride, i burn today, lone child, honeycomb, sing for joy). anyways do you think frank black has reached/is currently at another creative peak?

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  20:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think frank's creative juices are really flowing which is great for fans. i thought his career would slow down a bit after becoming a dad, but doesn't seem like it. maybe the new family life has really revved up his energy level.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  04:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I 've listening Black Letter Days and Fast Man Raider Man yesterday, and i got surprised cos' the songwriting seems much fresher in the new album.
I love Black Letter Days but when I listen to it now it sounds kinda crystallized, a feeling of somebody not growing anymore, a deadend or something, and I guess that's partly negative even if every feeling worth getting expored.
Now, Fast Man Raider Man is as fresh as Teenager of the Year or Doolittle, so I fully agree to the celebration of a new FB creative peak. No need to think too much: FMRM makes you very happy when you listen to it, and that's what the truly good songs do, even if they talk about sadness.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank has ascended into a rich foliage of creativity, exploding in a fertile summer of inspiration!

Beat that, pretentious music critics!

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess well have to ask pitchfork to write something more pretentious
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  12:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitchfork? Pah! Amateurs!!

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  04:27:07  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days and Show Me Your Tears were musically and productionwise better than Honeycomb and FMRM. Just my 2 cents, actually and I think Frank should do what he wants to do

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  09:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Production wise, certainly.

There are some excellent songs on Honeycomb and FM/RM, they just seem a little stifled.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  01:24:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second Ziggy's opinion. Frank's songwriting on FMRM is stellar. Yesterday I played around with my guitar and the FMRM tabs (thanks Derek!) and some of these songs are fantastic. But BLD for instance has some great songwriting, plus an instrumentation and a production that suit the songs perfectly, and that's what makes it a better album IMO. Seven Days is a wonderful song, but listening to the album version bores me.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  13:50:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think Jon Tiven is doing anything wrong, but I don't prefer his sound (and I believe it is what Frank wants so I don't prefer Frank's sound either). Give me Nick Vincent or Stan Ridgeway again. But hey, at least Frank is still writing amazing songs (for more than 20 years!)

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  16:45:16  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must be in the minority but I really like Jon Tiven's production. Fast man is the best production since Dog In The Sand. I was so disappointed with BLD's production when I first heard the album because of how amazing DITS sounded. I thought it was a huge step backwards from a production standpoint. I really enjoy the drum sound especially the snare on Fast man Raider man. I also wasn't crazy about the Stan Ridgeway production and the mastering on SMYT. Everything on that album seems redlined. A very hot album to listen to.

I think the production is an overall improvement on this album.

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  19:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to be appreciated. Thanks.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  19:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think FB is like Picasso, i think i might have said that before. but he has different periods of his work that are distinct. all are good. some people might like some periods over others, but he's always ahead of the curve and i really think i don't truly appricate his albs until they've been out for a few years. it's not like i don't like them when they come out but to use a wine reference it's like boujouis vs. a more aged wine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000