Short interview of the Man in a French newspaper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2006 :  03:18:18  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From "Var Matin", 7/19

(quickly translated by Babelfish & myself)

- Soon 20 years of career for the Pixies. Is it a happy birthday?

- Yes, but we've changed a lot since the first albums. Personally, I don't feel very different today. It's the music that changed me. These days I listen to jazz and classical music. By the way, I'm going to cover of a song by a French guy, Gabriel Fauré (starts to sing). I'm preparing a very personal adaptation. I'll try to make it my own song at the end of the summer (sings again).

- On this tour you'll play only twice in France, and only once in the South. Is it enough?

- I don't know, but we are very happy to come here. In our eyes France is a great place to live in. Cinema, red wine, gastronomy, fashion, your "beautiful people"... I like that! It's true, the French are a little proud but they have good reasons to be so. I love when they say "We are French. Sit down and have a glass. I will show you something you won't forget." And then, more seriously, you have a right idea of the democracy...

- Have you thought of giving up music after the Pixies split?

- No, never.

- Does the band have a future without a new album?

- Precisely, that's something we're discussing. In the band, we're all artists and we want to continue to make music. But we ask ourselves many questions. Would a new album be a good thing? Isn't there a risk that we make it only for the money? We don't want to do that. We're a group of friends. We want to be careful.

- So you're condemned to stay together?

- Perhaps, but there are worse punishments!

Fred Dumas

-----
blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 07/29/2006 03:47:23

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  08:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Froggy.

Only playing France twice? You guys have it so hard, hehe!! Kind of more confimation that new material may be forthcoming there.

Fred Dumas...any relation to Alexander? ;)

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2006 :  10:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the translation.

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  00:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Btw, I wonder about that Fauré song the Man wants to adapt. It's clearly not "La Sicilienne", unless this interview dates back to 2005, which is highly improbable.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  01:07:50  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Thanks Froggy.

Only playing France twice? You guys have it so hard, hehe!!

They usually play here ten times a year, at least

-----
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  01:17:40  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

Btw, I wonder about that Fauré song the Man wants to adapt. It's clearly not "La Sicilienne", unless this interview dates back to 2005, which is highly improbable.

I guess what he means is that he's trying to adapt the album version of End of Summer into something easier to play on stage. He said before that he was unable to play that song, so i guess he'll twist it a bit for the scene.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  01:19:12  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

I guess what he means is that he's trying to adapt the album version of End of Summer into something easier to play on stage. He said before that he was unable to play that song, so i guess he'll twist it a bit for the scene.

OR, the interviewer misunderstood what Frank said and took "I made [La Sicilienne] my own song and called it The End of The Summer" for "I'll make it my own song at the end of the summer".

Denis

Edited by - vilainde on 07/31/2006 01:41:02
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  01:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

OR, the interviewer misunderstood what Frank said and took "I made [La Sicilienne] my own song and called it The End of The Summer" for "I'll make it my own song at the end of the summer".

That's what I first thought but... ah well, why not. It's very plausible after all.

-----
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000