XTC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  02:11:01  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last saturday I bought XTC's "Drums and Wires". It was my first XTC purchase, after hearing lots of praise about the band and this record in particular. And indeed it's excellent. It has everything I like, makes me think of early Talking Heads mixed with english punk with lots of fun. I've only listened to it twice but I feel there's a lot to discover in the songs at each listen.
Anyway, that first XTC record definitely sold them to me, now where do I go next? From what I read their albums can sound quite different, from punk/new wave to folk to pop to... I've read good things about Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons and English Settlement. What should I get?

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  03:02:12  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All albums are great. And different, indeed. I hardly recommend Venus Apple vol.1 which is kind of their "baroque" album, with lots of chords and acoustic guitars.

Nonsuch is a perfect masterpice too, the production is wonderful and the arrangements and the songs are really great.

Oranges and Lemons is sometimes unequal, but still very good, some "world music" influences on this one.

I recently bought Black Sea and English Settlement, but I haven't had the time to listen to it, but they're considered as good ones too.

Skylarking (produced by Todd Rundgren) and Mummer are also often mentionned as one of their best albums.

If you don't want to buy all the albums, I also recommend the Fossil Fuel XTC singles collection: on two cd's you have all the singles (all pure jewels) from 1977 to 1992, which is a perfect introduction to the band and its musical evolution.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  04:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cassandra is

Black Sea and English Settlement

My immediate suggestions, too. Such a brilliant, brilliant band. Andy "Mr. Dub" Partridge is one of my heroes. I especially love him for his stage fright.

Tho My love for Drums and Wires waxes and wanes.

I’m the only one who can say that this light is mine
Go to Top of Page

Dear Mr Echo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  09:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Dear Mr Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love XTC and it pains me that they are so criminally under appreciated but, like Frank, they do have a very loyal following. The official XTC site is at www.xtcidearecords.co.uk where there is a lively Forum just like this place. There are also excellent fan sites at www.optimismsflames.com and www.chalkhills.org. Between them you'll probably find everything you will need to know about the band and their music. I think in some ways XTC are similar to Frank Black - sometimes the songs take a few listens before they take hold of you. With both I've grown to love songs that on first listen haven't done much for me - but persitence will reap huge rewards.

The Fossil Fuel compilation is really good but it's just the tip of a particularly impressive iceberg. As kathryn says if you are going from Drums and Wires then Black Sea would be an obvious next choice. In fact I'd just keep going chronologically through their catalogue if the fancy takes you, though I hate to think that you would be missing out on the delights of the their first two albums, Go2 and White Music.

Beyond that there is the equally essential psychedelic pastiche of the Dukes of Stratosphear conveniently collected on the Chips From The Chocolate Fireball CD. Andy has also put out a series of demo and "off-cut" discs called Fuzzy Warbles which again feature some amazing songs that have never made it past the doors of his shed. There are six out already with a final two and a boxset available in a couple of months. You can find out about these and his own label at www.ape.uk.net.

"Some people have a way with words... other people, not have way."
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  15:19:48  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
XTC is my second favorite band (after TMBG, of course). My favorite album of theirs is Skylarking, but Drums and Wires is also awesome. I'd probably agree that Black Sea might be a good album to get next. Their sound changed a lot over time, so you might want to listen to their albums in the order in which they were released. Not that that's what I did, but it makes sense.

I honestly think English Settlement is somewhat overrated. That's not to say that it's not great in its own right, just that so many people seem to think it's their best, and I think they had quite a few better ones.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  10:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only know the big hits, Senses Working Overtime and Making Plans For Nigel. And Primus' cover of Scissor Man.

Go to Top of Page

Dear Mr Echo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  10:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Dear Mr Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Carl, if you feel at a loss of what to listen to until FMRM comes out you could do much worse than take a dive into XTC's catalogue. If you like I could do a mix of tracks to whet your appetite - drop me an e-mail.

I understand what you mean about English Settlement VoVat, but XTC on an "off-day" (if indeed you could call it that) are still better than 95% of other artists at the top of their game.

Go to Top of Page

marcus4realius
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  05:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use to like them, they're just too cutsey.

I don't like cutsey music.
Go to Top of Page

Dear Mr Echo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  05:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Dear Mr Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cutesy? In what way? When did you get turned off?

Carl - disc is in the post :)

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  05:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, completely off topic, by... Dear Mr Echo, I love it. That guy rules. He can make machetes from scratch.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

marcus4realius
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  07:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't get turned off till the enormous wait between Nonsuch and Apple Venus...what a let down that was...I can take them in small doses...

What I mean by cutsey is sometimes Partridge's lyrics ae a little precious....it's all so sickeningly sweet. I'm no goth doomsday person but they can be a little embarrassing sometimes.

I still like them, just not as much as I once did. My sweet tooth has grown up I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Dear Mr Echo
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  07:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Dear Mr Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kind of understand what you mean - but don't agree :)
I used to be a bigger fan of the early stuff and I used to think that XTC had gone a bit too twee and folky before I got into the albums properly. I would say that I do think Colin Moulding's Songs that have "gone downhill" over the last few years.
I was knocked out by Apple Venus though.

Go to Top of Page

marcus4realius
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  08:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, they had Abbey Road and a Symphony and it didn't sound better than the demos AP did in the shed, ya know.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dear Mr Echo

Carl - disc is in the post :)

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcus4realius

Well, they had Abbey Road and a Symphony and it didn't sound better than the demos AP did in the shed, ya know.

Alien Vs Predator did demos in the shed?

The plot thickens. To the Alien Vs Predator thread Robin!

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

marcus4realius
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No homer, I meant Anal Probe.
Go to Top of Page

marcus4realius
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and "Shed" is a euphamism.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  07:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have a soft spot for XTC. Even the cheesier songs ("Mayor of Simpleton") make me smile most days.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  10:33:25  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think XTC has definitely gotten softer over the years, but then, that happens to a lot of musicians as they get older. Just look at a certain Charles Thompson, for instance.

As for "precious" lyrics, I guess those go back as far as "Senses Working Overtime," when you think about it. I don't have a problem with that, but then, I LIKE a certain amount of "cutesy" music. I mean, how else could I listen to the Ditty Bops?

Besides, I thought "precious" was a GOOD thing. I mean, just ask Gollum!

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  03:20:54  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mmm I don't know... each album is different and has its own sound, personality and interest. Some are better than others, no doubt about it (like Drums & Wires, Nonsuch, Apple Venus, Skylarking, Black Sea, English Settlement IMO). But I don't know many bands that are or were able to realise so many great albums during a long career.

pas de bras pas de chocolat

Edited by - cassandra is on 06/14/2006 03:21:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000