Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  00:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is Out Of State?
"I can't stand the pain..." (Blahm!)...great guitar solo.
Perfect.
Go to Top of Page

TAMAL
- FB Fan -

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  04:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok these would be the best for ze newbies -

1. the marsist
2. los angeles
3. thalassocracy
4. speedy marie
5. all my ghosts
6. switched you
7. ive seen your picture
8. whiskey in your shoes
9. jet black river
10. horrible day
11. massif centrale
12. honeycomb

my shirt is shitty!
Go to Top of Page

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  04:32:31  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Definitely put 'California Bound' in. It's the only Frank song my friends like, and an instant hit.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:28:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

I don't know why "Bullet" is so popular.

You know, I'm not the biggest fan of Bullet. I wouldn't rank it in my FB top 10. But to me it's probably the song that "sums up" the Catholics era the most. It's a bit countryish, a bit punkish, it has a C#m, a killer guitar part and some cool play on lyrics... And it's probably been played at every single FB&TC gig so it's definitely one of their favorites. So I'd put it in the mix for all these reasons.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm surprised more people haven't put California Bound on there, but then again, it didn't make my final cut when I made my own list. I don't think Marsist would be on a newbie mix I'd make, personally, a little dull. Probably not Jet Black River either, but otherwise a decent list...

I agree with Ice Cream on Parry, but for some reason didn't make the short list I had even. Probably because I started with songs that had been recommended already, mostly.

Still compiling this list, keep the mixes/comments/suggestions coming! We'll probably put this out a few weeks/month before Fastman Raiderman hits stores.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  07:37:36  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To keep it catchy, ladies and gentlemen:

Los Angeles
Man of Steel
Bad Harmony
Honeycomb
Robert Onion
San Antonio, TX
Headache
White Noise Maker
Horrible Day
All My Ghosts

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  14:48:18  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill (or Jop), replace "Horrible Day" with "Coastline", and you've got yourself a top-notch list. Even WITH "Horrible Day" on there, it's still probably the best list anyone has compiled so far.

Vilainde, good point about Bullet.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  19:53:52  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well i was very intimidated about trying to come up with a intro set. so i left it up to me iriver mp3 player and here's the first 10 tracks it played while on random. and overall, i think it's a damn good mix.

1. constant sorrow man
2. bad harmony
3. i'll be blue
4. velvety
5. i need peace
6. how you went so far
7. headache
8. my favourite kiss
9. god of miles
10. so.bay

think the only one i definitely wouldn't have in there would be my favourite kiss, but all the others are definitely worthy.
so overall, i think my iriver is very cleaver, and has great musical taste.

guiet, loud, quiet, loud, loud, quiet, loud, quiet, quiet, loud. seems like a good flow.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:47:05  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

Bill (or Jop), replace "Horrible Day" with "Coastline", and you've got yourself a top-notch list. Even WITH "Horrible Day" on there, it's still probably the best list anyone has compiled so far.

Vilainde, good point about Bullet.

I agree! Swap it, I personally like coastline better, and I think there are enough loud/fast songs to slip in one slow one.
Thanks for the compliment btw

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:57:08  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah it's a great list. But there's no song from the Catholics' best album, so I'd swap Horrible Day for The Farewell Bend.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  09:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

yeah it's a great list. But there's no song from the Catholics' best album, so I'd swap Horrible Day for The Farewell Bend.

But The Farewell Bend isn't on Pistolero.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  10:11:13  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Announcement
Hang On To Your Ego
The Adventure and the Resolution
If Your Poison Gets You
Run
Out of State
Speedy Marie
San Antonio TX
Freedom Rock
Coastline

bonus track: Brackish Boy (live)
Go to Top of Page

TAMAL
- FB Fan -

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  22:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw man, no jet black river?
I love that song.

my shirt is shitty!
Go to Top of Page

Omer
= Cult of Ray =

275 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  22:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna try the "One song from Each Album" approach:

FB: Los Angeles (The BIG SINGLE)

Teenager of the Year: SUPERBOUND (but maybe Speedy Marie, or Freedom Rock, or Headache)

Cult of Ray: Men in Black

FB&TC: A cheat, but The Man Who Was Too Loud (John Peel version)

Pistolero: So. Bay (but Skeleton Man and Western Star and Billy Radcliffe are also favourites.

DitS: St. Francis. Although Robert Onion is a great song, it is not that Catchy.

BLD: California Bound

DW: His Kingly Cave. I'm surprised it is not in more list. A definite favourite

SMYT: Massif Central

Honeycomb: Title track/Go Find Your Saint (I'd toss a coin). Or the first half of Storage.

B-Side: Man of Steel
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  01:14:47  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

But The Farewell Bend isn't on Pistolero.

I said "best", not "worst"!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1227 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  13:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes my head hurt

1. I wanna live (on an abstract plane)
2. Llano del Rio
3. Man of Steel
4. This old heartache
5. Hemaphraditos (is my name)
6. California Bound
7. Western Star
8. Calistan
9. Whiskey in your shoes
10. Back to Rome
Go to Top of Page

black franciscan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  04:41:58  Show Profile  Visit black franciscan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I agree, I'd put Los Angeles in a mix too, and it makes a good opener or closer. I'm actually shocked that Don't Ya Rile Em is so popular, perhaps I've underrated that song. Is it because you love it or because you think new people to FB will?

For me, Don't Ya Rile Em probably doesn't jump to the memory like Los Angeles does, but it's one I find myself singing along to and singing in my head without thinking about it. Since doing this compilation and looking at my FB playlists on iTunes I realised that it's always there..!

BTW - End of Miles/ God of Miles: I just realised that i'm not going mad and that others on this board have refered to EOM as GOM - it's not on the original sleeve so where did it come from - is it an 'on-line CD track names' error?

My mind is like the ocean...

http://www.gilagraphics.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

VooDooPope
- FB Fan -

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  09:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'll let this thread bring me out of lurk mode and into the mode of active participation.

My original list was 42 songs long. Getting down around 10 was really hard...

In a recent conversation with my brother in law about music he was completely ignorant about the Pixies/Frank Black so I started him off with Surfer Rosa and I'm feeding him an album a month until he's caught up. I think thats the only way to get the full experience since he missed it all while it was happening (unlike my self).

In no particular order...

Old Black Dawning
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
At the end of the world
Thalassocracy
Jesus was right
21 reasons
San Antonio Texas
St. Francis Dam Disaster
Bullet
I switched you
Horrible Day
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  10:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what/where/when 'God of Miles' was ever used. Or if, for that matter. I suspect a typo from someone on here that you may have seen or something only. Could be a CDDB thing too, good call.

We should be putting together the mother mix soon, I hope. So long as Brian's on board.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Billy Radcliffe
- FB Fan -

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  13:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Billy Radcliffe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am actually showing off songs to a drummer who never heard FB or Pixies... He really dug Parry the wind, Jumping Bean, All My Ghosts, and believe it or else, Czar. Especially when such a heavy duty song was used to tell about John Denver. Being a guitar player myself, I find it quite interesting that just like he does these special things in his songs that make you smarter for the people who are paying attention, he also puts little things in there for the musicians that actually makes you smarter on that level too. Other than his songs, his way of teaching you through his music really appealed to my friend, so I think THAT is the key, Show someone which songs have the best clues and then you've got it.

The part on Parry the wind, where it goes from 3/4 time to 4/4 time in 5's, actually impressed him the most. Like I said, He is A Drummer. We listened really close in a live recording to frank still strumming in 3/4 while the drummer sped up the beat but frank stayed the same. Tre Impressive...

I could talk myself to death, but I believe I would only waste my breath.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  13:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Radcliffe

The part on Parry the wind, where it goes from 3/4 time to 4/4 time in 5's, actually impressed him the most. Like I said, He is A Drummer. We listened really close in a live recording to frank still strumming in 3/4 while the drummer sped up the beat but frank stayed the same. Tre Impressive...

I like to think of myself as a musician but nothing that BR just said made any sense to me at all. I suppose it says alot for my musical talent

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Suicide_Samurai
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
431 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  20:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WARNING: The following information is based on presumptions, and may or may not include the correct terminology.

Your average song is in 4/4 timing.
That means one bar can fit 4 quarter notes, or 8 eighths, ect.
So in 3/4 timing, one bar can fit 3 quarter notes, or 6 eighths, ect.

The second number indicates the length of the beat (ie. quarter beats), and the first number indicates how many of those beats can be played in a bar.

So in Parry, the drummer goes from playing 3 quarter beats in a bar, to 4 quarter beats in a bar, whilst Frank stays in 3/4.

I don't, however, know what he meant by "in 5's"

Edited by - Suicide_Samurai on 05/11/2006 20:24:40
Go to Top of Page

Billy Radcliffe
- FB Fan -

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  22:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Billy Radcliffe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out...

Oh, wait. yes you do.

But it's 2 am and I am tired. I will do the rest of the math tomorrow...

But it is 5 groups of 3/4 time (not 4/4 time as I incorrectly stated before)

I could talk myself to death, but I believe I would only waste my breath.

Edited by - Billy Radcliffe on 05/11/2006 22:57:09
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  16:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In no order, these are twelve songs (From s/t through Honeycomb) that I think are absolutely ESSENTIAL (meaning you could NOT DO WITHOUT THEM, PERIOD, in any decent Frank Black "best of" mix:

"Los Angeles"
"Parry the Wind"
"Abstract Plain"
"Headache"
"The Cult of Ray"
"Western Star"
"Bullet"
"California Bound"
"New House of the Pope"
"I Burn Today"
"Sing for Joy"

I know I'm leaving out a TON of great stuff, but if you must narrow it down to about twelve songs, then I think you would have to include every one of these in order to have a truly comprehensive, completely objective overview of the man's career. Now, what you could do is have two volumes, which will give you more choices. Maybe from Frank Black through FB&TCs s/t for volume one, which would look something like this:
(one again, listed in chronological order, not how it should appear on the comp, and limiting it to twelve tracks)

Los Angeles
Places Named After Numbers (it was VERY difficult to leave this one off the last list)
Parry the Wind
Abstract Plain
Headache
Freedom Rock
Superabound
The Cult of Ray
Shazeb Andleeb
All My Ghosts
Dog Gone
I Need Peace

Pistolero through Honeycomb (Volume 2):

Western Star
So. Bay
St Francis Dam
Bullet
Hermaphroditos
CA Bound
End of Miles
San Antonio
New House of the Pope
I Burn Today
Atom in my Heart
Sing for Joy

Please note, I'm trying to be objective as possible, using songs that I feel "define" the FB/FB&TC sound more so than personal favourites.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  18:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm curious about some of your inclusions into essential. Being objective, I'm not sure I understand why Cult of Ray nor the combo of I Burn Today/Sing for Joy. One of them would probably be a good idea (or something else representative of the country years) but both?

Things I would probably do to your list there, which is pretty well thought out in my opinion.
1) I'd probably lose California Bound in favour of something like St. Francis. We've then lost out on a track from BLD, but I think that I'd go with something like St. Francis to exemplify that sound. Hard call.
2) I'd add Superabound or Two Spaces or Places and put a little of the new wave stylings over Cult of Ray.
3) I might choose a different song for the Honeycomb and lose one, bringing the list to ten.

Difficult, but I think you did a pretty good job. I think the key is balancing music that someone new would be able to get into a little quicker with providing a fair sample of his career. I might have lost Parry for Don't Ya Rile Em, but Ice Cream makes a very good point that Parry has very interesting timing, etc and so I left it. But Rile Em sure seems popular. Speaking of which, I have a tally of songs somewhere that I have to add to...

We should be doing this feature next month.

Go to Top of Page

heavypear
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  03:00:13  Show Profile  Visit heavypear's Homepage  Click to see heavypear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oddball
Skeleton Man
Calistan
The Man Who Was Too Loud
I Burn Today
End of Miles
Massif Centrale
San Antonio, TX
The Cult of Ray
If It Takes All Night
Don't Ya Rile 'Em
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  09:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I'm curious about some of your inclusions into essential. Being objective, I'm not sure I understand why Cult of Ray nor the combo of I Burn Today/Sing for Joy. One of them would probably be a good idea (or something else representative of the country years) but both?

Things I would probably do to your list there, which is pretty well thought out in my opinion.
1) I'd probably lose California Bound in favour of something like St. Francis. We've then lost out on a track from BLD, but I think that I'd go with something like St. Francis to exemplify that sound. Hard call.
2) I'd add Superabound or Two Spaces or Places and put a little of the new wave stylings over Cult of Ray.
3) I might choose a different song for the Honeycomb and lose one, bringing the list to ten.

Difficult, but I think you did a pretty good job. I think the key is balancing music that someone new would be able to get into a little quicker with providing a fair sample of his career. I might have lost Parry for Don't Ya Rile Em, but Ice Cream makes a very good point that Parry has very interesting timing, etc and so I left it. But Rile Em sure seems popular. Speaking of which, I have a tally of songs somewhere that I have to add to...

We should be doing this feature next month.

I think I might agree with you on everything except for "The Cult of Ray," which I still think is essential. The others are still essential songs, but maybe not as much from an objective standpoint, and perhaps some of them are repetetive. Maybe something like this would be better (ten songs):

"Los Angeles"
"Abstract Plain"
"Headache"
"Superabound"
"The Cult of Ray"
"Western Star"
"St. Francis Dam"
"Bullet"
"New house of the Pope"
"Sing for Joy"

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  17:08:33  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
god, cos I have actually made this cd before:

01 ALL MY GHOSTS
02 AMNESIA
03 ANGST
04 BACK TO ROME
05 BILLY RADCLIFFE
06 DOG GONE
07 HUMBOLT COUNTY MASSACRE
08 LIVING ON SOUL
09 PAN AMERICAN HIGHWAY
10 TWO SPACES
11 WESTERN STAR
12 WHISPERING WEEDS

so many faves . . .
Go to Top of Page

black franciscan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  08:24:45  Show Profile  Visit black franciscan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's clear why no record company has tried this already...

My mind is like the ocean...

http://www.gilagraphics.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2006 :  09:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  09:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That said, I've got a list of top songs from you guys and will be meshing that with Brian and my own selections and putting it together into something for podcast 9 that you can share with your friends as a different way to either get them into FB or else give an FB newbie/Pixies-only fan a bigger taste of what's out there.

Thanks everyone for participating. This is going to be bloody difficult, but some great points and lists made. Trying to keep it all in mind as I tally.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  14:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But keep in mind that however difficult it is to choose a definitive 'best of' in ten or so songs, it can hardly be a 'bad' mix can it?
I mean, any Frank is good Frank.

Whatever the final mix, I'm pretty sure there'll be something for everybody.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  09:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chicks seem to dig fiddle riddle
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  09:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, we've got a finalized selection. Pretty much took the top suggestions here, slightly weighted on occasion, and I think we've got a good mix of sounds and favourites, accessible and interesting. But I have no doubt you'll tell me afterwards the song(s) that we missed. :)

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  09:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonedry

chicks seem to dig fiddle riddle

That's how you seduce women, bonedry? "Hey, just listen to this song off Frank Black's second album, honey!"

*swoon*

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000