Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  15:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you were introducing people to Frank Black, what songs would you include in a mix. We've done a topic like this, but not for a long time and the criteria this time is a little different.

I'm thinking that since some people are using the podcast to introduce Frank Black newbies to the music, that maybe we should do an episode with an ultimate mix of sorts. This means the program time is about 40 mins and not a jam-packed 80 minute feast.

So I want to know, what would you put on there? What is a must for introducing people, how would you cover the broad spectrum of FB in ten songs or so? What songs meld nicely into each other?

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  15:58:35  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank in 10 songs for me would go something like this (some leftovers are quite heart breaking, especially from teenager) :

Don't Ya Rile 'Em
Speedy Marie
Men in Black
I Love Your Brain
St. Francis Dam Disaster
Bullet
If It Takes All Night
Cold Heart Of Stone
Massif Central
Announcement
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  16:04:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, some surprises in there. I don't think I'd put in Don't Ya Rile 'Em, I Love Your Brain, If It Takes All Night, Cold Heart of Stone, even as conteders. Love 'em all, but top 10 is tricky. I like that you're going for something chronological there, and also somewhat comprehensive.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  16:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually made a Frank disc for a friend just yesterday, but I filled the 80 minutes so I guess that won't do. I've probably done about 15 Frank mixes for people though, and off the top of my head these are the songs that almost always make it on:

Bullet
Billy Radcliffe
Man of Steel
Humboldt County Massacre (fast version)
Sister Isabelle SSMVGD version (I don't care if it's a cover, it's one of the best songs he's done)
Jumping Beans
Cold Heart of Stone
San Antonio, TX
Nadine
Superabound
All My Ghosts
Western Star

I'll just stop there. As I'm sure everyone who posts here will say, I'd give you a different list each time you asked. For now, though, this is it.

I don't spend too much time fussing over the order of the tracks if it's just Frank in the mix, because the songs will all be individually strong enough to stand on their own. The one I did yesterday, for example, was just alphabetically ordered. I also think the podcast format helps ease the pressure of determining a flow because you're taking breaks to talk in between songs and by the time you're done speaking the "flow" is about done anyway.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  16:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for me personally it would be something like:

1.All My Ghosts
2.Hang On To Your Ego
3.Headache
4.I Burn Today
5.Dog Gone
6.Superabound
7.Bullet
8.San Antonio, TX
9.If It Takes All Night
10.Manitoba

I don't even know if these songs go together or not. Obviously people on this forum would have their favourites which they would want to include in their list and if Pixies are included it would be different altogether.
I chose my ten songs as it's got a hard-hitting first track, it shows Frank's versatility with the cover song (Hang On To Your Ego) and has the more mellow side of Frank with tracks 4&5.
Generally most of us here think that everything Frank does rocks so it's hard to say what newcomers would like.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  16:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SOLID GOLD
OLD BLACK DAWNING
MANITOBA
I SWITCHED YOU
IN THE TIME OF MY RUIN
ABSTRACT PLAIN
MAN OF STEEL
THE SWIMMER
MY LIFE IS IN STORAGE
BARTHOLOMEW

This would be an impulsive mix. It would probably vary from person to person.

Hank the 8th was a duplicated man

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  16:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, my top 10 for FB newbies:

1. Thalassocracy
2. San Antonio Tx
3. Olé Mulholland
4. Ten Percenter
5. Selkie Bridge
6. The Swimmer
7. Bullet
8. King & Queen of Siam
9. End of Miles
10. Nadine

I would love to have included The Marsist but somehow it doesn't seem like the perfect introduction to someone new to Frank.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  17:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess my plan is to take the songs that appear in most of your mixes and/or that people seem to comment on and throw 'em together into a super mix. If someone posted a definitive mix that people agreed on, though, then my job is done. :)

The flow isn't an issue per se, but I do like to have tracks that really just go great together. I made a mix called the Portland Portage for when we were en route to see FB in Portland and to this day I hear FB songs and half expect to hear the next song on that mix instead of what comes next on the album for a few tracks (though admittedly, mostly b-sides).

I can't find it now, which is odd because I usually keep my mixes to lend out. I still, for example, have the mixes that introduced me to Frank Black and the Pixies - though I have no idea which one I got first.

I think Stu's mix gives the most thought to the open/closing tracks.

One thing I'm noticing is that everyone seems to be taking a chronological view.

I don't know if a mix would include Pixies or not. Up to you, if you feel it's important, add some.

Go to Top of Page

a guy in a rover
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  17:32:10  Show Profile  Click to see a guy in a rover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think if you are talking about a forty minute introduction, of roughly ten songs then I think it would be a novel idea to pick one song from each of Franks post-Pixies albums. It might not necessarily flow that well and it might mean missing out on some of Franks best tracks but I think it would definitely show off Franks versatility, giving the listener a chronological flavour of the mans music.
On this basis, mine would go like this:

1. Old Black Dawning
2. Ole Mulholland
3. Men in Black
4. Dog Gone
5. Skeleton Man
6. St. Francis Dam Disaster
7. Cold Heart of Stone
8. Whiskey in your Shoes
9. Coastline
10. Violet

A pig or a goat well, they wouldn’t let you be mistreated

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  18:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a painful thing to ask of us. This just makes me sick-

Ramona
Calistan
Superabound
Dog Gone
The Man Who Was Too Loud
Western Star
St. Francis
Horrible Day
Go Find Your Saint
Atom In My Heart

Oh, cheese. Wonderful cheese. I love you.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  18:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's face it, Frank Black is unpredictable. I'm gonna try a different/random approach. Shuffling my Frank Black library in iTunes and listing the first 10 songs it plays:

1 All My Ghosts
2 Los Angeles
3 Stupid Me
4 Black Rider #2
5 Czar
6 So. Bay
7 You Never Heard About Me
8 The Scene
9 I Could Stay Here Forever
10 Men in Black (TOTY version)

Hm, I probably really would have picked Los Angeles, All My Ghosts, and Czar.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  18:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Headache
I Think I'm Starting To Lose It
San Antonio Tx
Selkie Bride
The Snake
Dog Gone
Chip Away Boy
Los Angeles
Bullet
Fiddle Riddle
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  18:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Don't Ya Rile 'Em

I'd use that one for all ten slots. Seriously might just be my favorite Frank.

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  19:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the swimmer
robert onion
thalassocracy
czar
Last Stand of Shazeb Andleeb
humboldt county massacre
tiny heart
hate me
21 reasons
announcement
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  23:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Los Angeles
Speedy Marie
Men in Black
I Gotta Move
St. Francis Dam Disaster
California Bound
His Kingly Cave
Massif Central(e)
Atom in My Heart
Pan American Highway

-----
"The following tale of me is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No." (The Simpson Files)

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 04/18/2006 00:42:07
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  00:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Los Angeles
Freedom Rock
Fazer Eyes
You Ain't me
All My Ghosts
Bullet
The Swimmer
His Kingly Cave
Massif Centrale
Pan Amercian Highway

Quite like Frog in fact.

I think the mix also depends to who it is made for.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  02:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Living on Soul
Freedom Rock
Manitoba
Headache
Calistan
I Burn Today
I'll Be Blue
Velvety
Pan American Highway
Skeleton Man

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  02:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stupid waste of time.
this is an impossible task.

but brainstorming

MARSIST as opener is a must!!!!
LA
headache
st.francis
robert onion
pong+thalla
solid gold
suffering
honeycomb
pacoima (dunno how to spell)
california bound
end of miles
coastline
this old heartache
calistan
mosh don't pass that guy
FREEDOM ROCK is a must !!!!!
DON'T YA RILE EM as last number is a must !!!

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Edited by - two reelers on 04/18/2006 02:58:49
Go to Top of Page

black franciscan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  04:26:17  Show Profile  Visit black franciscan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, there goes my day...

I'm not done yet, but Los Angeles is THE 'must opener'...

But I agree with two reelers that 'Don't Ya Rilie 'em' must close it and i'd have the Marsist somewhere in the middle after the mix has mellowed a little, to pick it right back up... but then there are so many others that I could use to do the same...

damn you, prolific songwriter..!

My mind is like the ocean...

http://www.gilagraphics.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  08:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, I'd put Los Angeles in a mix too, and it makes a good opener or closer. I'm actually shocked that Don't Ya Rile Em is so popular, perhaps I've underrated that song. Is it because you love it or because you think new people to FB will?

Freedom Rock will probably go on there too, that was a song that made me sit up and take notice and was the first Frank song I 'got' (probably would've 'got' Los Angeles also but I didn't hear it til a bit later). It's tough though, and I'd almost sooner have Speedy Marie these days. Probably having both LA and Freedom Rock isn't a good idea.

I'm also surprised to see some b-sides making it in, I guess I assumed I'd skip them over for an intro to FB. I suppose playing a b-side and saying, "Hey, this is a B-side. Can you believe it?!" could be a good idea. In which case, my b-side of choice is Man of Steel, but I defer to popular opinion here.

I've got a working mix that I'm narrowing down/tweaking with your help (though I'll still throw it out for a perfect/highly loved mix), so keep 'em coming. I will say I'm surprised not to see Two Spaces appear in anyone's mix yet. My own choices/mix I'll keep to myself, but I will say it would be more focused on different sounds FB has done than different albums.

Top Votes So Far:
Bullet (6)

Los Angeles (5)
St. Francis
Headache

San Antonio, Tx (wow) (4)
Dog Gone (wow again)
The Swimmer
All My Ghosts

Freedom Rock (3)
Don't Ya Rile 'Em
Manitoba
Men in Black
Cold Heart of Stone
Superabound
Thalassocracy
Skeleton Man (shock)
Calistan
Pan American Highway

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  08:54:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've narrowed my list down to 47, but this is getting tough...

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  09:09:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
alright. my final vote goes like this:

1) Los Angeles
2) Brackish Boy (live full-band version)
3) Speedy Marie
4) Bullet
5) The Cult Of Ray
6) Baby That's Art (Oddballs version)
7) All My Ghosts
8) Honeycomb
9) The Farewell Bend
10) 21 Reasons

There's got to be a live track somewhere in there, cause Frank live kicks ass. And Brackish Boy live, super fast, with the band REALLY kicks some serious ass. I threw in a b-side as well and then tried to balance between heavy/slow, punk/country, 2-track/48-track and singles/lesser-known tracks.

Denis

Edited by - vilainde on 04/18/2006 09:14:36
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  09:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I agree with you up 'til number 7. Maybe number 8. A country song is needed, Honeycomb's probably a good choice. I just like Selkie Bride better.

You don't really have any new wave on there. Or Headache. :)

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  09:34:30  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think The Farewell Bend is very underrated. I really fell in love with it after hearing the live version from 2003 at Slim's, when the full band goes on stage right after the FB/EDF first part. That version is amazing.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  11:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is San Antonio TX such a suprise, COF? It's one of his best songs, so many chord changes but still catchy as hell. How can anyone not love that one?
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  11:30:45  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know why "Bullet" is so popular.

Parry The Wind High, Low
Places Named After Numbers
Los Angeles
Adda Lee
White Noise Maker
(I Want To Live On An) Abstract Plain
Pure Denizen of The Citizens Band
Two Reelers
All My Ghosts
San Antonio, TX
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  11:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

I don't know why "Bullet" is so popular.

Aw, c'mon!!

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  12:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IceCream, listen to the live version of Bullet on the podcast episode 5. That's the good guys playing the shit out of a great song. Actually, I didn't have Bullet in my personal top 10, or even 20, until I heard that sucker live.

COF, Two Spaces for sure. I stupidly removed that from my original list at the last minute.

Oh, cheese. Wonderful cheese. I love you.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  12:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
San Antonio has just never caught my attention, velvety. I may go have another listen to Devil's Workshop now and hear it again. It's not that I hate it or anything. Farewell Bend falls into the same category, I would rate that one higher than San Antonio at the moment, but to be honest, I can barely conjure the tune of San Antonio at the moment even. :/

And Bullet is incredible.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  14:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think mine would be something like this

1. You Ain't Me
2. Oddballs
3. Ten Percenter
4. 21 Reasons
5. Honeycomb
6. I Don't Want To Hurt You (Every Single Time)
7. Coastline
8. Superabound
9. St. Francis Dam Disaster
10. Headache
11. Bartholomew

That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  14:28:04  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I tried to sum up 10 different aspects of Frank's music.
Not completely satisfied, but it's fun to look at his work from this point of view:

1- Quiet - loud - quiet
Los Angeles / Gouge away live in Regina / So. Bay

2- Accoustic
Dog gone / St. Francis dam disaster / Stupid me / The swimmer / Cold heart of stone / How you went so far

3- Cover
Sister Isabel / Down in the hole / Changing of the guards

4- Song that has it all
Freedom rock (and one of Frank's favorites, he still played it during the last Catholics tour)

5- Piano/organ
I've seen your picture / The swimmer / Everything is new / New house of the pope / This old heartache / Show me your tears

6- Pre-Catholics
Superabound ('cause he sings about me) / Don't ya rile 'em / Speedy Marie (was the survivor winner, right?)

7- Post-Catholics
Another velvet nightmare (am I the only one who likes this song?) / Johnny Barleycorn

8- B-side
Pan American Highway (still can't believe this was just a b-side, even a record with just this single song would sell millions!)

9- Instrumental
Amnesia / Ballad of Johnny Horton

10- Song built around a riff
Czar / Solid gold / Smoke up / So. Bay / Massif central(e)

Not sure how to classify Robert Onion, but it's a crowd favorite, I remember at shows everyone got excited when Pixies songs were played.
Robert onion got the same, or even more response from the crowd.
Live version with the incredible fast piano would be cool.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  14:54:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's funny, I have my list the same way, with groups of themed songs together (though the themes are different). Covers are something we can't do for the moment.

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  15:51:09  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I'm the ONLY person to have put "Parry" on. There is no other song more exemplary of his weirdness. It's also threating, menacing, all-encompassing, intense as all hell, yet somewhat poppy. Kinda like the song "No Self Control" by Peter Gabriel. Except even better.

Seriously, I think it'd be more appropriate to include Parry than Los Angeles, Freedom Rock, Headache, or any other song. I agree with Nimrod's Son: it's the greatest song he's ever recorded.
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  16:15:57  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
from playing my friends some frank, they all seemed to like pistolero tunes the most, esp billy radcliffe and western star...

although i would have:

1: billy radcliffe
2: everything is new
3: hang on to your ego
4: sugar daddy
5: fiddle riddle
6: the man who was too loud (john peel sessions e.p version)
7: sunday sunny mill valley groove day
8: los angeles
9: i dont want to hurt you
10: 21 reasons

the fighters, the lukewarm, the traitors...
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  18:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like the list above.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  23:54:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

I can't believe I'm the ONLY person to have put "Parry" on. There is no other song more exemplary of his weirdness. It's also threating, menacing, all-encompassing, intense as all hell, yet somewhat poppy. Kinda like the song "No Self Control" by Peter Gabriel. Except even better.

Seriously, I think it'd be more appropriate to include Parry than Los Angeles, Freedom Rock, Headache, or any other song. I agree with Nimrod's Son: it's the greatest song he's ever recorded.

I agree 99% with you. I already had 2 songs from the first album in my list so I didn't put Parry but yeah, this song has everything. I love it.

Denis

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000