Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  03:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im amazed by this album more and more recently. All the song are so clever. Lyrics.... Even the intro song (trompe le monde) refers to itself ("went to the store and got something great etc") and the second song "planet of sound" and the album as whole...
love the bit "for outer space and those who paid" links well with planet of sound "broadcaster"......

sorry to bore ye'all again...

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  04:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has a cool kind of synthetic, space-age feel too it: the production and the contributions of EDF, etc. and the artwork contributes to (or perhaps suggests?!) that too. Even though the production is quite slick, the rockin' parts still rock!! Bossa's production sound is a little bit weak and 'mushy' is places.

You ain't boring, persuader!!

pas de dutchie!

Edited by - Carl on 03/16/2006 04:37:26
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  04:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in "alex eiffel" is the
"little eiffel, little eiffel", meant to also "sound" like
"little eye-full, little eye-full", possibly referring to the tower....
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:57:05  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no possibly about it: Alexander Gustave Eiffel

think about it............ *ting!*..... there ya go ;)

He thought big and they called it a phallic (gustave eiffel, gustave eiffel)
Go to Top of Page

silvereel
- FB Fan -

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  12:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the whole album is a code i have yet to crack
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  04:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best Pixies album? Maybe! Noticed for first time on D=RxT when BF sings 'suuuuuuun' Joeys guitar makes this sci fi violin like feedback noise in the background. I had a wtf moment.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  08:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trompe is my favorite too. I've wondered if there were some kind of personality test that would tell you what kind of person you are based on your favorite thing the man has done.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  11:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic is 10 years old. And Trompe le Monde is still the best album ever.

And, to this day, the Pixies still refuse to play some of their best songs onstage: Trompe Le Monde, Palace of the Brine, Letter to Memphis, Space I Believe In, Bird Dream, Lovely Day, Navajo Know,... Missing keyboards, maybe...?

Thanks god they sometimes play Sad Punk.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 08/10/2016 11:18:53
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  02:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
25 years old! Found a nice article

http://www.slantmagazine.com/house/article/fool-the-world-the-pixies-trompe-le-monde-turns-25
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  05:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except for this bit..

"Trompe le Monde's near-perfect balance of melodicism and high-octane rock power is perhaps exemplified best by “U Mass.” Combining a sturdy meat-and-potatoes guitar riff, famously composed while Black and Santiago were attending the University of Massachusetts Amherst, with a characteristically sarcastic yet sing-along refrain of “It's educational!,” not to mention a critical secret ingredient in the form of a cowbell, “U Mass” deserves a place in the annals of all-time great frat-rock anthems."

Frat-Rock anthem....WTF? Maybe they should read the lyric again more carefully.

Aside from that, good to see Trompe getting a anniversary write-up.
Go to Top of Page

Ecto
- FB Fan -

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  16:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure where to post this and I don't want to start a new thread so here it is.

I recently re-read Fool the World and there was a quote from Andy Barding I didn't remember from my first read through.

"As Kim said in the interview I did, they had, like, two thirds of a follow-up to Trompe Le Monde recorded and in the can, ready to go, and in bootlegs from U2 dates there were these funny little instrumentals being played that you could tell were from another work in progress."

Did they actually record in studio post Trompe but pre breakup? Is there any evidence of this? Also is it true that a lot more material was recorded for Trompe?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  16:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard tell this is a clip from the Pixies version of Brackish Boy. I cannot attest to its veracity but it's fun to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYGue9A6YRw
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  08:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I listened - apparently - to Subbacultcha for the first time in headphones and it took that song up a notch for me.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  09:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I listened - apparently - to Subbacultcha for the first time in headphones and it took that song up a notch for me.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

It was hearing it live a few years ago that really elevated it for me. I appreciate the music so much more when before I certainly focused on the lyrics and vocals.
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1071 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  00:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://thequietus.com/articles/20897-pixies-trompe-le-monde-review
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  03:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://blog.siriusxm.com/2015/09/23/the-pixies-trompe-le-monde-was-released-on-september-23-1991/

About Trompe recording : Norton said that "Black rejected one of Deal’s songs" that he, the producer, thought was great.
Any ideas what song it could have been?
A never released song by Kim? Or maybe a song featured on Last Splash? or even on Safari?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  03:32:51  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

http://blog.siriusxm.com/2015/09/23/the-pixies-trompe-le-monde-was-released-on-september-23-1991/

About Trompe recording : Norton said that "Black rejected one of Deal’s songs" that he, the producer, thought was great.
Any ideas what song it could have been?
A never released song by Kim? Or maybe a song featured on Last Splash? or even on Safari?

--

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12564

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  04:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks pixie punk
I think Black refusing Kim to sing on "Bird Dream" and "rejecting one of Deal’s songs" is not the same
Maybe we missed a great tune by Kim that never surfaced, even in demo format

--
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  12:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Missed this. Great write up. Love Trompe. From the moment I saw the cover in the record shop when I picked it up I knew it was gonna be good.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  12:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joey talked about those Trompe "widow tracks" a few years ago in an interview. Some have been recorded. Maybe one day...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Jason Bravo
- FB Fan -

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  16:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt Cobain famously admitted that when he wrote his mega-hit “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” he was “basically trying to rip off the Pixies.” But he might not have known that his fledgling band—who had released that single earlier the same month—were briefly considered as openers for their upcoming tour. “I was the one who said no,” Lovering later said. “I’d heard the album. I knew Nirvana were going to be the next big thing. It would have been lopsided.”

I think I remember hearing something along these lines a while back. I'm not so sure I agree with Lovering here, I don't know, maybe the timing just wasn't right or something. But, back in the day, meaning '91-'92, imagine seeing Pixies and Nirvana under the same roof! That would have been something special to say the least. That would have been too much energy for one show probably at that time, but I guarantee that I would have been there if it happened.
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  05:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://youtu.be/jR-WJKdwl3I

Trompe demo/alt mix clips

www.myspace.com/thepeacoats

Edited by - speedy_m on 10/08/2016 05:29:42
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  06:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard the full band brackish boy before.

Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  08:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

https://youtu.be/jR-WJKdwl3I

Trompe demo/alt mix clips

The channel you got that from has lots of Pixies stuff on it, including this great Peel interview from '91 upon the release of Trompe.

"As far as I'm concerned, the best work that they've done" - interesting considering the lukewarm reception it received. Even more interesting (but perhaps not that surprising) is that BF clearly didn't regard Surfer Rosa as a particularly high watermark at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsme7r_5RNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVuxeEPlc64

Edited by - OLDMANOTY on 10/08/2016 08:37:30
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  18:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trompe's my favorite Pixies album, tied with Surfer Rosa. The opening three songs could be my favorite opening three songs on any album; three of the most rocking songs, each one excellent, yet each one better than the one before. As soon as the fast, metallic Trompe ends, you get the HEAVY Planet, which feels epic in what, like 2mins? encompassing an interstellar trip...the title is quite creative, the idea of Earth being viewed as the Planet of Sound.

And then Alec...with such a great riff and yet....when that other part kicks in and then the outro....!

It's amazing. What a fucking run of great rock songs. I can understand why some didn't make the transition to FB's solo music but to lambast Trompe? It's like they they blew up the studio with the energy of these songs.

Bird Dream? Once again there's a song that's gentle, beautiful and different from anything else they've done. That's not counting Lovely Day's riff, the relentless groove of Subbacultcha with some of his best lyrics and the EPIC Motorway.

What a fuckin' album.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  22:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and Sad Punk ! The most epic motherfucking song in the universe with the most epic motherfucking lyrics in the universe.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  01:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad Punk is the Pixies' epitaph
(at least Pixies 1.0)

I would add Sad Punk and Head On to the list, as the best "five consecutive songs" on an album

ps : Los Angeles always reminds me of a "soft" version of Sad Punk

--
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  01:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Never heard the full band brackish boy before.

as with the demo of Hang On To Your Ego, it's not Dave but a drum machine

--
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  02:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the french-speaking folks here, check this website: http://www.ed-wood.net/pixies2.htm. I fell in love with Trompe Le Monde (and the Pixies) thanks to this guy. He's crazy for Trompe Le Monde and really wrote the best Pixies/Frank Black reviews I've read so far. I think most of it was written prior to the reunion tour. Sometimes, I wonder if the author is/was a member of this forum.

On another note, when I heard that Peel interview, i was quite amused to hear that Black Francis thought "Trompe Le Monde" meant "Save the world" - of "something like that"- back then. And that this title had been suggested by his manager (like "Head Carrier"...).

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/10/2016 02:48:51
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  05:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trompe also has the best "Pixies" font on the album artwork in my opinion.

Hard to believe that when I got home from Record World with my cassette of it the week it came out I was like, "That was pretty good."

Now it's my #1 favorite Pixies album if not my favorite thing Charles has ever done. I can't believe how little of it gets performed live by him / them.

And great point sdon re: The Sad Punk. It does seem like their epitaph. That song reaches levels that none of their other stuff ever has.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  08:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting fact: as far as I know, Trompe is the only Pixies album wih drop-D tuned songs (at least 4 as far as I know). Very Metal.

I'll always wonder why they dumped half of Trompe songs on their setlists since the reunion. Either they don't like those songs anymore, or those songs don't sound right onstage, maybe because of the lack of keyboards. They were performed live with Feldman onstage back then (and it sounded f-cking great).

Did they ever perform Space I Believe In live back ten ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

2961 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  08:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Interesting fact: as far as I know, Trompe is the only Pixies album wih drop-D tuned songs (at least 4 as far as I know). Very Metal.

I'll always wonder why they dumped half of Trompe songs on their setlists since the reunion. Either they don't like those songs anymore, or those songs don't sound right onstage, maybe because of the lack of keyboards. They were performed live with Feldman onstage back then (and it sounded f-cking great).

___
"Service Unavailable"

Totally agree Picpic. I agree that those Feldman performances were amazing. Can't understand why so few Trompe songs get performed by 2.0.

I've wondered if Space (I Believe In) was almost a B-side or just a recording of them jamming in the studio, with Frank maybe doing some stream of consciousness lyricizing? I could be totally wrong. It would be sick to hear it live.
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  09:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they didn't even played it back then because of the missing Tablas (played by Jefrey with one F, Feldman brother, in the studio). Personal theory ! ;-).

___
"Service Unavailable"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  09:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

And seemed tantalisingly close that we'd hear some of them back in 2013... 'Letter to Memphis' etc in Myles' lighting design list!

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21001
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  10:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll always wonder why they dumped half of Trompe songs on their setlists since the reunion.

Besides the fact that it seems most or all of them do not have particularly fond memories of the actual process of writing and making that record (which can weigh much more heavily than their knowledge of some fans' love for the finished product), you may have answered your own question.

The drop-D tuned songs often necessitate keeping extra guitars around in that tuning just waiting to be swapped out onstage.

They may simply view the combination of bad memories of (and/or lack of a personal connection to) those tunes and the hassle of using an alternate tuning as too much hassle for too little enjoyment on their own part.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

picpic
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1872 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  11:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet is a drop D, and they just... drop their guitar to D in 5 seconds. Even for songs like Havalina or Velouria that are tuned a half-step up, they had extra guitars on the last tour. So thats not really a "gear" issue.

Yep I remember being super excited after seeing the lightning console when they embarked on tour with Shattuck. Sigh !

Memphis... All over the world (!!!)... Jaime Bravo....The Happening... they rehearsed this one, I remember Black Francis tweeted "what was I smoking back then ?" referring to the ending lyrics of that song. Palace... Trompe... looks like they still hadn't dumped All Over The World at this point ? (Still lit up).

___
"Service Unavailable"

Edited by - picpic on 10/10/2016 11:29:19
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000