Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  06:16:39  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Heh, yup. It's a good cover. You nailed the solo.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

thanks for that!

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are there programs for episodes other than the first?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you mean? Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/Default.asp?mode=episodes

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  08:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, thanks - couldn't find where man of steel was

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/19/2006 09:00:12
Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  16:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my Oddballs CD! It's awesome! That e-bow on "Can I Get a Witness" sounds great. I love those things.

Thanks again!

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  03:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
30 minutes is way too short!
Great podcast, though. I bleed still sounds so incredibly mysterious... creepiest song since Pere Ubu's Codex.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  06:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SFDD = what a great version! Would have made an ace 17th track for DITS. Nice 1.

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  09:07:00  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where and when was SFDD performed live ?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  09:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not 100% for sure, but supposedly March 12, 2001 at Clermont-Ferrand, France, The Cooperative De Mai, according to the gigography. Otherwise, never that we know of.

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  15:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Btw, I am assuming the SFDD demo is from the same [or similar] session as the 4 x DITS demos that appear at the end of the Dog... re-issue CD?

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  16:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say safe bet.

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  20:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOO SHORT!! (clap, clap) TOO SHORT!! (clap, clap)
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  20:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait, maybe I should arrange it more like a Frank song:

TOO SHORT!! (clap, clap) TOO SHORT!! (clap) TOO SHORT!! etc....
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2006 :  20:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, well, we recorded it the two days before I was going out of town, so we didn't have much time. :) The next one will be seven songs, and then eight, nine, and then... ???

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  07:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest podcast caused a snigger with the "Good morning" part at the end as I was in bed listening it just about to go to sleep.

Great version of SFDD. Great Podcast. Keep it up!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  12:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was cool how you set up Ramona to sound like it was gonna be a live version. I was listening to it thinking, "Sweet! This is a great live performance!" Then I started getting a little curious about how well they had the guitar sound dialed in. Then, at about 1:01, that little "ping" comes through and I knew I was had. Nice work.

What the hell is that anyway? Sounds like an editing error or something.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  12:51:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think so. I actually recorded something recently and had that exact same glitch...

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  16:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll ask Frank.
Go to Top of Page

jaleeb
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  18:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody, I've been a member and a lurker here for quite a while. I come the news and stay for the tabs, but I just wanted to jump in and let you know that the podcast has been really, really great. The production values are very impressive (especially given the unusually high number of horribly produced podcasts out there). I really appreciate the composition as well, the 45 min+ episodes never drag for a second and I enjoy the selections and their placements within the casts. So kudos, keep up the good work and I'll keep on listening (fwiw). Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  19:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you're liking it, thanks. We hope we can keep it up too. :)

Go to Top of Page

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  21:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great podcast.
Has the interest fallin off ?
Not a lot of feedback this time.
Keep them coming boy's !

Don't sweat the petty things
and don't pet the sweaty things
Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  10:34:13  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love the podcast! I just got an iPod a couple of weeks ago and on Thursday night I d/l all 6 episodes. I listened to all but the last episode yesterday at work (and on the bus/train). Too bad I missed out on the "take a photo of yourself enjoying the podcast" contest...I had a really cool idea.

My only complaint is that I really fell for your April Fools joke...on May 12!

Do you still need donations to keep it going? If so, I'm definately willing to contribute.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  12:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we're still in need; though we may move this site itself to a cheaper server anyway, at this point we don't have the money to renew for next year.

As far as interest falling off, nope, still growing, albeit slowing. We now have about 2500 people subscribed.

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  13:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Yeah, we're still in need; though we may move this site itself to a cheaper server anyway, at this point we don't have the money to renew for next year.

Please say more. Would this be a seamless move in terms of retention of content and format? How much money is needed? What is the financial status of this site? I think folks here might be more giving if they knew the situation required it.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  15:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, we're good server wise until next April/May. Up 'til now the Dave's been putting in about $500/year for our server, but I think there are options out there that meet our requirements that we could save a lot on. We have about $300 in the bank for next year, which is enough to cover the podcast server presuming it doesn't become wildly popular and in need of more bandwidth, but not to do the site server. HOWEVER, I think we can find a cheaper solution that gives us the instantaneous bandwidth, reliability, and all the other needs that arise. If so, we may have enough for another year already assuming mailouts, etc stop.

If not, well, hard to say how much money we'll need to do it. I don't really want to beg or scare people so I'm not (at this point) putting a call or plea out for donations. People have been very generous in keeping the server up and we appreciate it lots, I have full faith that we will have enough by the time next year arrives to do what we need and I'd certainly hate to have people giving on the basis of fear.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said 'still in need', my mistake. Thanks for your concern though, Erebus. And regarding a move, yeah, should be pretty seamless. Probably a hickup or two but hopefully the majority wouldn't even notice, much like when we had to move servers, what, a year and a half ago or something, because the other one was so bogged down that there were times when you couldn't even post. Just, suddenly, things seem to move a lot smoother.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  23:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry it was a little behind getting put up today, been busy, but episode 7 is up.

Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  23:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And what a nice surprise it was, too.

I just got up, and wanted to add a few more songs to the iPod to improve my upcoming metro ride.
And the first thing iTunes does is download fb.net-podcast #7!

Day saved!
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  02:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You did a good job in countering the "ambient, different, eclectic version of a pixies classic" with End Of Miles. The first guitar chord had me grinning already. EXACTLY what I needed then.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  07:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it. That was actually a last minute addition when I realized we only had six songs. :)

I really love that song.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  08:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is actually the most overrated FB song in my opinion.

It's a poor man's St. Francis Dam Disaster.

But i still dig it.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  08:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Overrated?! The MOST overrated?!!? I always felt underrated.

It's definitely in the vein of St. Francis, but with rock attached. I like St. Francis better, but it's darned close. Darned!

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  08:32:22  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but what do you know. Does St Francis have a supercool ending guitar solo? I think not.
And if you don't like it, try the acoustic version. It might be even better.

[edit: I was responding to Brian]

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!

Edited by - vilainde on 05/16/2006 08:33:07
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  08:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes St. Francis does have a nice guitar solo. The acoustic version (of End of Miles) is certainly better - i prefer it to the BLD version. But i'd still take one SFDD over 100 EOMs.

My main gripe with the song is two fold - 1) that everyone thinks its so great and St. Francis gets not half the love from FB fans than EOM does, and its a far better song lyrically, arrangement wise and musically, 2) the BLD version is a sonically poor recording. Because FB's vocal melody dips down so low, the engineer should've compensated by pushing it up in the mix at the end of every verse. Instead the end of the verse gets lost in the sonic mud.

-Brian

Edited by - Broken Face on 05/16/2006 08:37:05
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  08:41:26  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll give you one thing: the version from the Cafe Du Nord show is far from great.
I love St Francis, but really, I can think of a hundred better songs than this one. Take Robert Onion, for instance, the other single from DiTS.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  08:52:07  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Brian about St Francis, and if I had to chose between SFDD and EOM, I'll definitely give my vote to SFDD, and no mistake! That is what I call a perfect song.

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000