Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

mrb
- FB Fan -

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  22:14:12  Show Profile  Visit mrb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I Liten to the secon and first over & over ( Cult of ) good info and in-sight plus the best tunes thanks guys and to franks manager, im thinking of making a CD for pesonal use in other wise to spred the love!
Go to Top of Page

mrb
- FB Fan -

Canada
35 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  08:00:39  Show Profile  Visit mrb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK I have to clareify things ( the next morning ) to spred the love i ment to play it for friends, oh yes I also listen to the therd over and over but through itunes so I don't think it counts as a download on the meter
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, you're right mrb, if it's on your computer (i.e. downloaded through iTunes) then it won't be downloading over and over. Share it around, that's fine by me!

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 :  11:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the shout out and for playing my tribute track, Dean!

How did I know you'd pick "Big Red"...

Will I ever reach 1000?

For more information on rock, visit www.timfranklin.net
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  15:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much guys for the alt version of Manitoba. I had heard it during the Leland film and thought it was great, even though it was just a snippet. Was wonderful to hear the whole thing. Cheers!

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Holy Fingers
- FB Fan -

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  21:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These podcasts are great. My wife and I are both hooked. Keep 'em coming. Thanks Dean and Brian.

"When you've done something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 :  22:41:24  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so pleased to hear the WERS broadcasts on there.
gives me a little pleasure as i nabbed them out of the guy's hands initially.
however, pity that he recorded them as mp3's and then converted to wav for everyone.
oh well.

"you change your lives with a change of a haircut" Die! Die! Die!
Go to Top of Page

stymie
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  12:25:24  Show Profile  Visit stymie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wish that i had an I-Pod?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  12:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I was excited to finally get that United States of Leland track, too. Benji, how did you come across those WERS tapes, didn't know you were involved with that?

Stymie: No iPod required. See link:
http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/Default.asp?mode=faq&num=#q-2

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  01:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dean & Brian

The podcasts are excellent.

Could you encode the, description and track list as well as the podcast artwork directly into the mp3.
You could use something like Media Tagger, and put all this info in the lyrics field.
By the way there is no artwork in podcast 4.

Thanks, keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  07:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pmjk, I've been wanting to do chapters in the podcast (with art, FF/REW, etc) for some time but alas we PC podcasters have been ignored. There's an MP3 tool that I'm involved in testing to do what you're talking about, but so far no support from various players so you'd not see it anyway.

Still, it's something we hope to have going and will as soon as we can.

Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  19:29:04  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so when will the podcast audio thing become a video thing? :)
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  19:34:14  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/Default.asp?mode=episodes&num=

quote:
However, what we do have is what we believe to be the first Pixies radio show ever done, some excellent live tracks featuring Eric Drew Feldman and Frank Black solo in San Francisco, the unreleased version of Manitoba from the United States of Leland soundtrack, and so much other goodness you may have to do evil just to align your karma.

WERS 1987 - The Holiday Son

This is becoming quite a popular typo !
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  22:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps somewhere, deep down, I hope to have you as a guest on the podcast?

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  06:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

so when will the podcast audio thing become a video thing? :)

When the Video phone technology long hinted at in Sci-Fi becomes a reality, when i clean my bedroom enough to have it shown over the internet and when Dean and i feel you are all ready for that much sexy in your life.

[/hubris]

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:08:48  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Heh, thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps somewhere, deep down, I hope to have you as a guest on the podcast?

It seems you've made your dream come true in podcast #5 !
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:23:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, yup. It's a good cover. You nailed the solo.

Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2006 :  07:33:11  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't take credit for the solo (though it was my idea to put a saxophone in it).

Edited by - The Holiday Son on 04/13/2006 07:33:34
Go to Top of Page

black franciscan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  16:47:03  Show Profile  Visit black franciscan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the work going into these podcasts - it's great to switch off to everything at work and just listen to 'Frank Radio'!
It's cool you're getting so much exclusive stuff.
If you want/need any podcast artwork i'd be happy to help out whenever possible...

thanks fellas!

My mind is like the ocean...

http://www.gilagraphics.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2006 :  17:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, we'll keep you in mind. Actually, on that note, tomorrow's podcast will probably be delayed as I've been busy dealing with... other things. Still hope to have it out tomorrow night or for sure by Monday.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  15:00:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, podcast 5 is en route and on time.

Please see this thread if you're interested in winning a copy of Fool the World:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15837

Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  15:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, podcast 5 is en route and on time.

Please see this thread if you're interested in winning a copy of Fool the World:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15837

Wow! That story makes me like "Bullet" even more than I already did, and it might be my favorite FB tune.

Can't wait for that Oddballs CD. You went with the jerky first version! That's cool. Glad to be a part of such a cool endeavor.

Just donated $10 by rejoining Friends of FrankBlack.net. Hopefully you'll get what you need to keep going for a decade or two. Other listeners: You know what to do!

Edited by - beckett trance on 04/19/2006 11:31:41
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  20:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Podcasts are cool!
Those live songs kick ass! (pc5)
Freedom Rock acoustic- snap!
You guys are nearly unbearable! (please don't lock my account)
Changing your vocal effect will help!
I'll have a check sent to you! (Trident AeroMachine)
Good job!
Frank is so damn good...

Oh, cheese. Wonderful cheese. I love you.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  21:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jared your Oddballs CD should be there anytime. I may have put the wrong one in, was pretty rushed to get it done before work today.

Scott, there actually is no vocal effect, that's unfortunately the result of recording a VOIP conversation. You get a bit of echo/mud, and a bit of low bitrate, not a good combo. I'm going to play with some stuff for next time.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  22:34:28  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Benji, how did you come across those WERS tapes, didn't know you were involved with that?

well i might have overstated my involvement. i was just the first guy he sent the tapes out to. from that the deluge started.
here's the topic:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1243

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  22:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks. I've never heard that July 5th boot, or for the matter, many of the others listed there. Would love to get my hands on stuff, I'm really having to be on the lookout for exceptional live stuff and also rare stuff now that we're trying to throw new things into the podcast.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  23:35:32  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well i'd recommend tracking it down. imo the july show isn't as good as the january one, even tho the playing is more polished - bit more trouble with the tape, but still a fantastic document, and lotsa good stuff there for the podcast.

the may 87 interview also has the great kim moment of "quite touching my breast charles, i swear!"

Edited by - benji on 04/15/2006 23:43:01
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  06:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some big show radio pals here in Seattle- if you want, I could ask them what they thought. I think they use a little compression with kinda expensive mics. It's really not an issue considering the great stuff you guys are playing. But, guys wearing gold plated robes should sound like they are wearing gold plated robes. Y'know?

Still can't get over that live "Bullet". Everybody is simply kicking ass in that song.

Edited by - ScottP on 04/16/2006 06:19:56
Go to Top of Page

a guy in a rover
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  09:59:23  Show Profile  Click to see a guy in a rover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just donated 5 dollars over Paypal (which is £2.93, pretty much the price of one pint for any interested UK users). Definitely a worthwhile investment. Thanks guys.

A pig or a goat well, they wouldn’t let you be mistreated

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  10:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, that's funny, vintage Kim.

Scott, yeah I'd certainly be interested in their opinions. I do use an 8:1 compression to even out the vocal levels since Brian's comes from the WAV device and mine from MIC. And I don't think either of us are using fantastic microphones... I bought a $50 headset with mic boom but it's pretty average obviously.

That version of Bullet is my favourite, I like it better than the album recording. Just... ah! Love it. Actually the transition into Los Angeles from Cold Heart of Stone I love too.

I forgot to mention the site on the podcast, but if you go to CBC Radio 3, look under concerts, and the Frank Black, you'll see the whole show minus a few covers he played that night.

Thanks, Guy in a Rover and everyone else who's helping out.

Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  10:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo!
Thank you guys I just recieved my copy of Oddballs!
hey, the artwork is one of the best, though it's really simple.
Digipack rocks!
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  14:42:22  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I forgot to mention the site on the podcast, but if you go to CBC Radio 3, look under concerts, and the Frank Black, you'll see the whole show minus a few covers he played that night.

i haven't had a chance to listen to this weeks podcast, but it sounds like you're talking about the regina show....
if so, i uploaded it to dime here for those not aware:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=87975

Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  16:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PC5 Black to Back? Anyone?

By listening to these two takes it made me realize why they went with the softer version. It's a vocal song. The dirtier version takes away from the feeling of whats being said. Actually, those two takes, pasted together like that, kind of works. Maybe another different 3 or 4 verses sung over the dirty-pasted-to-the-clean take would be cool.

Don't worry, they're all epics.

Go to Top of Page

TAMAL
- FB Fan -

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  23:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmmmmmm... bullet live.

how about nadine live with the catholics next time?

keep up the good work guys.

my shirt is shitty!
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  04:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the fact you play some straight albums versions, so we can rediscover them.
Like Western Star on PC5: I never liked that song, expecting something else from FB at that time I suppose.
Now I thought: hey that's a pretty good song!
By the way, thanks again for Oddballs, I been listening to it all night. The remixes are great, for example "baby that's art" is now a frank Black classic, without Lyle's guitar solo covering the voice at the begining and then just his guitar at the second verse!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000