Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  21:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy on this video Flash tutorial sounds like BrokenFace. Just listen for a second and you may think you are listening to a FB.net podcast (sans Dean)

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Loading-Pictures-Dynamically-Video-Tutorial/11087
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  00:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live recordings are great, I had never heard Fiddle Riddle that way before. Congrats!

Edit: great choice for the last song. I thought you were supposed to make an effort for non english native speakers...

Edited by - remig on 02/27/2006 01:12:32
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  05:00:33  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

The guy on this video Flash tutorial sounds like BrokenFace. Just listen for a second and you may think you are listening to a FB.net podcast (sans Dean)

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial/Loading-Pictures-Dynamically-Video-Tutorial/11087

i can sort of hear it

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  06:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
remig, I don't know what we can do, I know there was one part we rerecorded in number three because we were talking too fast and tried to slow it down, but otherwise...

And yeah, I sort of hear it too, Derek. I'd never confuse Brian and that guy, but there's a certain similarity...

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  07:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, I can play it twice, and to be honest I'm more interrested in the music (even if what you say sounds funny).
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  07:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wonder if he has my boyish good looks and keen musical ear as well.

[/false egotism]

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  07:36:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the best Catholic songs (ever) started, one of my favourites finished, and the middle was just..hmm... beautiful: i've never heard this version of 'Le Cigare' before and like you know, that version of Fiddle Riddle is a killer.

Many thanks for the unheard of 'Volant', above all else!
Go to Top of Page

endofmiles
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
69 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  15:35:41  Show Profile  Click to see endofmiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bravo for this new episode!!!!This live version of Fiddle Riddle is...wow...i used to switch the song listening to TOTY. I hope that you guys have more surprises like that. ..waiting now for the third. Hopefully with more great live performances...and more titles like "Luddwigshafen" and "Le Cigare Volant" to prononce :-)
Suerte

Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  08:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great second podcast! Liked it a lot.

But I was thinking. Would't it be cool to feature Frank himself? I mean, a special interwiew with him for the podcast would be just awesome. Perhaps not possible/realistic at the moment? But couldn't you recycle old radio appearances of Frank? You did it with his music, why not with him speaking?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  08:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we hope to get him on the podcast someday. He's aware of it and has approved it, but the word is that he'll get in touch with us when he wants to do something with it. We don't want to nag him yet. Still, scrounging an old interview's a good idea, maybe we'll see what the legalities are since the rights to that interview would belong, presumably, to the interviewer.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  23:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes a great effort for podcast No.2 - well done!
Nadine cover version = very nice.
Btw re the live versions of Fiddle Riddle & Oddball - I believe the concert they come from is not Malmo, Sweden 2001 - they're from Melkweg, Amsterdam 24-03-2001 .. I am pretty sure. Not that it's that important really.

Anyway, overall I think it was really good, again.

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  05:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am 100% certain they are from Malmo, Swe. But thanks!

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  07:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another fine job D & B.... I did like that #2 is a bit shorter, 30-40 mins. seems OK to me. Great song selection on both casts as well, though I prefer to hear the live stuff, especially FB solo....

The Cult of Frank : Gimme Gimme Gimme...I Need Some More
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  08:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!
Looking forward to more podcasts to come.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  09:17:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Yeah, we hope to get him on the podcast someday. He's aware of it and has approved it, but the word is that he'll get in touch with us when he wants to do something with it. We don't want to nag him yet. Still, scrounging an old interview's a good idea, maybe we'll see what the legalities are since the rights to that interview would belong, presumably, to the interviewer.

Didn't Brian interview Frank some months back? Now that would be great to hear (or read)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  09:29:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He won't even let _me_ hear it, says the quality's too bad and/or he'd have to copy it to his computer. I figure I might be able to clean it up enough and take bits from it, but you're gonna' have to nag him, too. Send him some emails! :)

(sorry Brian)

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  09:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will try to clean up some parts myself, but its pretty horrible. the source is this:

the landline i was on had two phones - i was on one, and one was off the hook, with the receiver pointing toward my multitracker. the adapter broke that morning, so that was the only way i could do it.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  13:04:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
use it brian and dean

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

i am 100% certain they are from Malmo, Swe. But thanks!

-Brian

I have the exact same versions, though listed as Melkweg... but maybe mine is mis-labelled.

Btw from that set, COMING INTO LOS ANGELES is brilliantly done by FB & THE C. That would be great for a future P'cast.

Speaking of, does anyone know if FB or FB+C ever recorded a studio version of COMING INTO LOS ANGELES?

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  20:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian and I both had copies of Malmo, so while I wasn't there and therefore can't guarantee that it was recorded there, I'm pretty sure...

Yeah, the list of songs to play is huge, which is a good thing, otherwise we'd run out of material quite soon. :)

Now, for those listening to the podcast who want to help spread the word of FB to others, please go ahead and vote for us in, say, this directory. I assume the more votes we get the higher we'd rank and the better chance someone looking for music would stumble on Frank Black.

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=20733#

Only bad thing is you have to enter your email so it can verify that you're not voting multiple times but I don't think they spam. Or at least, I've not gotten any yet. Thanks for your help.

Oh - and yes, I did make up a comment. I was 'testing' it. :)

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  05:31:00  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like how you added the typo so people wouldn't think it was you leaving the comment...
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  06:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh heh, yeah. And I made the small 'i'. :P

I knew you became moderator for a reason!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  08:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of adding typos, check out the latest comment. :) We are dorks, obsessed even, but not with ourselves... at least not yet.

Still, maybe we do talk too much in the shorter ones. It's a tough balance. Anyway, positive or negative feedback, keep it coming. Certainly the negative stuff could be more civil, but at least it's (probably) honest. Unless it just comes from someone with a grudge, I guess...

We've gone from no rank to 493. That's progress!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  08:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that comment is hillarious, but i have three comments for that guy:

1) If you don't like it, don't listen.
2) If you just wanted to listen to Frank Black, there are hundreds of ways to do that - buy an album, see a show, make a playlist on your iPod, etc. We try and offer something different in terms of an FB-listeing experience - covers, forum member music, stories, info, exclusives and, yes, some talk. Perhaps we chat too much, but i think there are nicer ways to put it.
3) Most software allows you to fast forward the podcast. If you don't like the sounds of our lovely voices - skip past.

But it was pretty funny. Dean even accused me of writing it.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  08:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, what with all the typos! :P

Yeah, I chuckled a bit, I admit it.

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  09:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I knew Brian shouldn't have shouted "GIVE WAR A CHANCE!" in the middle of the podcast :)

-----
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  14:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, for those listening to the podcast who want to help spread the word of FB to others, please go ahead and vote for us in, say, this directory. I assume the more votes we get the higher we'd rank and the better chance someone looking for music would stumble on Frank Black.

http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=20733#

There's a Cooking Vinyl podcast link on that site too (Frank Black, Pixies, Bob Mould, etc...) Might be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

markos
- FB Fan -

55 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  16:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's a Cooking Vinyl podcast link on that site too (Frank Black, Pixies, Bob Mould, etc...) Might be interesting

Cheers for pointing it out, just listened to it. There is a 3 song run of Frank/Pixies plus a couple of other vaguely cool artists. I really like Ben Christophers whose on the podcast also although with a rather weak effort. Ah well. And thankyou very much for the Frank Black podcasts also, excellent stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  16:03:21  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, home broadband means I can listen to this and still: Dean, you have a funny accent.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  23:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I click subscribe and there's a bunch of what looks like directions that were given for the podcast, text I mean. My computer sucks but does it really suck that bad?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"And that's when Abe Lincoln said ..'Don't diss my homies'."

Edited by - HeywoodJablome on 03/02/2006 23:59:55
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  01:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

I click subscribe and there's a bunch of what looks like directions that were given for the podcast, text I mean. My computer sucks but does it really suck that bad?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"And that's when Abe Lincoln said ..'Don't diss my homies'."

This is the RSS feed - subscribe it to a RSS aggregator like BlogLines or something. I think there's a link somewhere else on the page to the podcast itself in mp3 format?

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  06:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FBC -> Run?

Heywood -> Yeah, to subscribe, you need to copy that link into iTunes or some other aggregator as Cheeseman said. Right click, copy shortcut, and then if you use iTunes, select the Advanced Menu in there, select "Subscribe to Podcast" and then paste the link in there. If someone has a way I could make this more clear on the page, I'm all ears. I'm still fighting with iTunes for a spot in there, which would make life much easier for everyone.

Cheese -> Well, it comes with being awesome. :)

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  08:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, on the contrary to the latest comment on podcast alley, I'm happy to have constructive criticism (we've been begging for it). We want to make the podcast better.

Unfortunately, I can't read the whole comment, all I can see is low bitrate, which is something that I can't change because I can't afford the bandwidth and can't expect most people to download massive files, but in the ideal world, I agree it would be nice to have a higher quality podcast. I don't think 128 kbps is awful. Many other similar podcasts with funding don't podcast at higher bitrates than that.

For the bookmarks, as you can see on my site, I've been working on it as much as possible without a Mac (even posting a bit of info/discussion on my site and/or trying to help develop a tool to put chapter in MP3s). The ability to include MP3 chapters is now more or less there, but we still need a player that will support MP3s with chapters. Failing that, I need a Mac. Or at least someone with a Mac who is willing to put chapters in for us. I'd love to make an enhanced podcast, but thanks to Apple's propietary bullshit, I can't. And it will be a cold day in hell before I buy one BECAUSE of their proprietary bullshit, though I otherwise would like one of their new laptops.

But in either case, both comments are appreciated and I'd like to see the rest of that person's post if it were possible. I hope people don't feel like they can't make negative comments here, au contraire. I'm not talking "This sucks" but more "I don't like this and here's why/what can be done to fix it".

Honest. If you're not comfortable posting publically, or being known, email podcast (at fb.net). If that's still not anonymous enough for you, make a fake email quickly and send it from there.

In any case, I should say to you all that the podcast will stop being a news item very soon unless we have something newsworthy in one. Which, it so happens, we have for the next three podcasts, but I don't want to beat you over the head with this any more than we have already. It's just a new feature and we're working out the kinks and trying to make sure everyone knows about it and what we're doing/trying to do with it.

If there's something else we should be doing/not doing, by all means, lay it on us.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  09:23:46  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

FBC -> Run?

Frank singing on a Gordon Gano track. Great track. One of Frank's best vocal performances (imo, that is). I posted a comment in the 'project' thread (3rd page). It's missing from the song db.
Go to Top of Page

Mister Dog
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  13:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Brian jogging when they recorded this podcast? It seems like he's constantly huffing and puffing.

Skinner, you're an odd man, but you sure know how to steam a ham.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000