Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  17:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's your problem? Email me or Brian and we'll help you get it sorted out (just click on the email button at the top of my post)

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  01:00:30  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Surfs

Just some constructive criticism... of the 21 "tracks" (which includes 7 Brian & Dean talking tracks) there are only 11 Frank Black performances. 3 of which are from albums all of us should have already (Men In Black, New House of the Pope & Heloise). Which leaves 8 gems. I love the podcast idea and I love what you guys have done with it! Thank you so much for your hard work. But I would love to see a higher percentage of rare or unreleased stuff (from Frank) on future podcasts. Thanks again. Keep it up.

-David

Weird... I thought the opposite (I haven't listened to the whole thing yet though). A-sides are great, that's why they're on albums.
So I don't mind if you play them.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  04:33:51  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey! My name's in there too! That's cool.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

endofmiles
- FB Fan -

Switzerland
69 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  04:46:04  Show Profile  Click to see endofmiles's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for this great episode.

I want to add something to your show. If you want to do it right, "Ludwigshafen", a german city, is prononced "Lud-wigs-hafen", and no "Lud-wig-shafen". No importance at all. My english isn't the best either...
keep going...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  04:55:13  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
I love it start to finish, the end is great, I can't place it, almost Doorsy but not at all.

DON'T YOU DARE! Mentioning this band in a Frank Black thread is like drawing the prophet with a bomb on his head to me...
So, I just finished listening to the podcast and I basically agree with everyone here. 2 things though: 1) I didn't hear any weird accent, and 2) could you please speak slowly for us foreign listeners? :)
As for the new song, I think I'll make a new thread about it.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  06:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh heh, I'm sorry Denis. Just that organ, not necessarily the song. I put the 'not at all' in there to appease you. App-EASE you!

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  07:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, the podcast has had over 500 downloads so far (!), with 20% subscribing through iTunes. It's not possible to tell how many are using other software to subscribe, but I will know when we put the next one up, roughly. While the subscription percentage means more of you are downloading than podcasting, I admit to being quite impressed at the 500 downloads bit. It's only been 48 hours since we released it, after all and a download every 5 minutes isn't too shabby.

Of course, the key to this is going to be spreading the word to people who've not heard FB or who are new to him. The more we can do that, the more we can hopefully help out the man, which will come back to us in the way of easier access to that gold mine of unreleased stuff he's got hiding somewhere. So, if you have friends you're introducing or think would like it, by all means, send them a link to http://www.frankblack.net/podcast. And if you don't like the podcast and have been mercifully silent, then, of course, don't lie to your friends. :) Though we'd like to know why - email me: cof@frankblack.net.

Well, in short, thanks again for making our first attempt, in my view, an unmitigated success.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  07:57:13  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering: is the small glitch at 58'24 sampled from All My Ghosts or did you recreate it in the studio?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  07:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somehow recreated. It's that exact same sound though, isn't it? I thought I was hearing things...

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  08:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, first postcad,euh, podcast for me. Great taste, my fave FB live recording and my fave unrealeased song to begin, plus one new song. Congratulation guys.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  11:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!, very good idea! excellent setlist

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  12:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FranknWeezer

I'd love to hear back-to-back versions of some of the songs FB has reworked in the past five or so years. For instance, Fiddle Riddle from TOTY, and then the slide steel version from 2001 live or the Velvety instrumental from the Pixies and then the DW version.

That's a great idea.

One could even compare FB originals with covers of the same song by other artists (although I don't really know if there exist enough covers wich are worth checking out...)

Edited by - kelladwella on 02/16/2006 14:40:23
Go to Top of Page

manintheshack
- FB Fan -

48 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  04:23:15  Show Profile  Visit manintheshack's Homepage  Click to see manintheshack's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, just wanted to show some appreciation. Haven't been around these parts for awhile now as any new FB material has been so unconfirmed and rumoured for so long now that I decided to put all the sorrow at the back of my mind, but you two came and ripped it all back out with some fresh takes and a few songs I have never heard before.

Hats off to you lads. Thanks for providing something fresh and exciting to keep me interested and less sorrowful inbetween studio albums! Gotta say Dog Sleep is some very interesting stuff, very Honeycomb and very I don't know what. Glad to say I'm not that fond of it at the moment and that, my friends is the sign of song that grows and grows!

I guess I should thank the big man himself for these unexpected album releases too, so if you're there, cheers!

--------------------------------

I kick arse for the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  08:36:52  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you allowed to play songs by other bands? Cause I thought you could play for instance the original Hedwig version of Sugar Daddy. Like, 15 times in a row...

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  08:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We can but we have to get permission and licenses from them so it's not easy.

Go to Top of Page

a guy in a rover
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  13:53:39  Show Profile  Click to see a guy in a rover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say thanks for bothering to put this together, its a cool idea and is much appreciated.
Was also wondering how i could get my hands on more Frank b-sides and rarities, aside from these podcasts and the newly released One more hit for the road and Snake Oil? I have downloaded one or two but its a little frustrating when i look at the song database, lick my lips at the likes of the Kitchen Tapes, Oddballs and The Black sessiosns, only to be frustrated when i look for these via the usual routes eg Amazon.

"You are the son of a mother fucker"

Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  21:15:16  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also wanted to say thanks for putting this Podcast together. It was perfect to listen to. It is great to hear other people's thoughts on Frank Black. Not many of my friends or family really get into the man, so it is nice to share those thoughts with people that appreciate him as much as I do.

It was great hearing Dog Sleep as well. Thanks for the exclusive. Dog Sleep is still "growing" on me at the moment. It is hard to judge it fairly at the moment when it has to follow a classic like Heloise though.

Thanks again guys.

Dan

I got me so down I got me a headache.

Edited by - frankblackphx on 02/18/2006 21:16:46
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  09:44:05  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I liked it. It sounds like Dean and Brian had a lot of fun making it. And "Dog Sleep" is a pretty cool song.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  14:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, we had a great time, very much looking forward to recording number two this week. But thank goodness we don't do it live. :)

BTW, thanks for the great response, I can't believe we're nearing 1000 downloads already - it's only been five days. You guys must be spreading the word, which is great! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  00:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good stuff, cheers!

Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  15:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to join in to say thanks - even if this podcast had been a one time only thing it would have been a memorable event, if only for the sneak peak at a new song, but the thought of being able to listen to these podcasts on a regular basis is amazing! So thanks again to you guys and thanks to Frank and anybody else involved in making these possible. Very groovy, as they say.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  08:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it's next week, right?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  08:31:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You bet! It's pretty much done already, so just waiting for the calendar to roll over. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  09:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you give us hints as to what its gonna have?

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  10:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, since the first show was my set up pretty much (except the picks, obviously Brian chose his own and we also discussed the format), this is Brian's baby, so I don't want to say too much.

There is an exclusive recording from Ken's private collection that is really great, like having FB in your living room with his guitar, but no new never-before-heard songs (this time). I think you'll like it... Brian's got great sets for both of the March podcasts. We're trying two podcasts for March too, by the way.

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  06:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New podcast up already!?!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  08:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For subscribers, yes. The MP3 will be downloadable March 1. I have a little spare bandwidth this month and I'm not sure if we're going to be increasing our downloads or decreasing, but if it's increasing, this way I get a few downloads counted for this month instead of next. Plus I'm curious how many are subscribed.

Hope you like it...

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  08:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, the Episode #2 lasts only 38 minutes 58 secs! I demand a refund :)

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  08:11:18  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but you'll get an extra 20 mins or so out of March compared to Feb, so _I_ demand a 20% raise!

Be sure to VOTE:

http://www.frankblack.net/main.asp

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  08:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far 100 pecent of voters have demanded a 40-minute podcast every two weeks.

I myself demand a daily, day-long podcast, dammit!

I got some heaven in my head
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  09:26:43  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Dean you were so close for "Le cigare Volant".
Your last try is very good except the final T is silent.
(and that acoustic version is awesome !)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  09:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I _knew_ that too, but I got so focused on saying 'vO-lan(t)' instead of 'vAH-lan'. I think I got the 't' or lack of right the second time and the 'o' right the third, but I don't know? Thanks. I noticed afterward that FB says it more like cee-gair, where I say cee-gar so I probably messed up that and didn't notice.

I don't think we butcher anything in the third one. Yet...

As always, had a lot of fun with Brian, though it got a little late towards the end.

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  12:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One more time - great job, guys.

Uh, I hate "South Bay" but the rest of the selection is awesome. Special mention to Michael's "Nadine" and the two live tracks.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  12:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You hate South Bay?!?!?!

Yeah, that version of Nadine is pretty great and I never even noticed the countrification of Fiddle Riddle until Brian pointed it out to me. So we have fun too!

VOTE:
http://www.frankblack.net/main.asp

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  13:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe it. We even get comedy bits! "Hello, Blossom?" Priceless.

I love "So. Bay". Please include it in each podcast from now on.

--> FREE MUSIC <--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000