Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  17:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
happy valentine's day! hope the podcast helps you get laid!

very cool. well done! nice mix with the google talk thing and song selection. always love hearing pan american highway.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  17:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the { new song } is a treat.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  18:37:32  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heh heh - that's nice. you guys did an outstanding job, great selection. good chatty chat. what a great idea. can't wait for the exclusive fb interview and live performance on your pod-show. ... i mean... right?!? or at least a drunken sing-a-long recorded at some future fb show. that would be too much.

in the end... I'll be the one idiot who doesn't like "new song". oh well. don't hate me.
Go to Top of Page

Perk
- FB Fan -

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  23:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so happy !
You guys ROCK !!
A monthly cast on the second Tuesday would be a
treat for us. Looking forward to the next one.
Keep the rare tracks comming sounds great !
Love the song "Dog Sleep" never been homeless but close. Give to your local food bank and missions !

Don't sweat the petty things
and don't pet the sweaty things
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  00:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Dean & Brian - there are 2 VERY rare tracks I'd LOVE to hear: "My Name Is Gary", and the mysterious song Frank wrote for the indie movie "The Low Budget Time Machine". (Maybe the two are one and the same?)

Would it be possible to know more about these gems, at least?

Muchos thankos :)

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=6389048&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

-----
"I want to change the world but it's changing me!"

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 02/15/2006 00:20:23
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  01:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it. Once a month or so sounds great. I like the idea of releasing these with a regular frequency. I'm excited about listening to the podcast again and looking forward to the next one. Good job.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  03:02:37  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so has Jon Tiven heard the secret song, that's the question =) i enjoyed it alot, thank you boys. very generous of you.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  03:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

quote:
Originally posted by matthew

can someone walk me through this process? I have itunes, but I can't figure out where to put this link...

Select: Advanced
Then Select: Subscribe to Podcast [paste link]
that's it.

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))

Thanks 1965, I needed some info, too!

pas de dutchie!
Go to Top of Page

domtee
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  03:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news!

Is there any chance they're going to be release on eMusic as well? Much prefer eMusic to iTunes.

~~~~~~~~~

I'm telling you now and I'm telling you this
Life can be an onward, downward
Chip-chit-chip-chit-chip
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  03:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great stuff guys, thanks a million or the effort and entertainment. This gonna make the drive home alot more bearable.
Go to Top of Page

two_spaces
- FB Fan -

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  04:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In the podcast a song taken from the european Nadine EP was mentioned, which has the hard to pronounce title Ludwidshafen . It should actually be Ludwigshafen, a german industrial town with has the sole purpose of providing housing for workers of a huge chemical factory located there. It had an reputation as beeing the ugliest town in germany (that was before the reunion, though). Frank also tries to sing the postal code of Ludwigshafen 67059 in german.

- Thomas

P.S.: Thanks for the podcast! Good job.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  04:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard it? I produced it...which reminds me of an old joke with the punch line "Know it? I wrote it?" and I hope you all know the first part.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  04:49:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

Heard it? I produced it...which reminds me of an old joke with the punch line "Know it? I wrote it?" and I hope you all know the first part.

bye,
Jon Tiven

no
but I do know why the rooster didn't cross the street

By the way Jon, great production
this sounds very Catholic to me too
and we all like those catholics records

and yes I'm aware catholics records didn't feature trombone

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  06:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We'll add those to the list, Yann... we have some stuff coming that even Brian & I have probably not heard yet, so we'll see... we'll see if we can slip some info on those into the next one. Appreciate the request, and keep comments, etc coming...

Thanks for the heads-up on Ludwigshafen, I always had trouble with German.

As for playing in iTunes, I actually wrote that up on the podcast page, but we're going to redo that soon, so I'll give it its own section. Though we will have an official iTunes page very soon (just waiting on their approval) so nobody will have to manually do that soon anyway.

350 listeners so far... 65 through iTunes, a bunch (140) of unknown as well, though that may be for other things. I'm wondering how many people are downloading vs. podcasting? Are you? Also, are Brian & I the only ones that turned out the lights and listened to SMYT with a glass of dark red wine?

Finally, Dog Sleep, yeah, I love that track. A great song, and you did a fine job on producing Mr. T. I love it start to finish, the end is great, I can't place it, almost Doorsy but not at all.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Cartland
- FB Fan -

Iceland
78 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Cartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Great work you guys.

http://myspace.com/ivartheartist
Go to Top of Page

Cartland
- FB Fan -

Iceland
78 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Cartland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
B.t.w., that link is a signature, not part of the post.

http://myspace.com/ivartheartist
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot SaskaMan. You and Brian are the best (after the Beast).

-----

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 02/15/2006 07:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:26:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, the program for episode 1 is now posted (on page 1 of this post, on the podcast page later) with links to relative websites (which generally are in the Song DB).

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  07:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's Lyle playing the guitar solo at the end, Wayne Jackson (Memphis Horns, Neil Young, etc.) on trombone, Ian McLagan-keys, Levon Helm and Billy Block on drums, Bob Babbitt and Tom Petersson on bass, glad y'all are enjoying the canine snooze.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  08:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon,
What a HELL of a lineup. Just out of curiosity, did Tom and Bob track at the same time or were those overdubbed? Also, did Tom employ any of his trademark 5 or 6-string basses, or stick with a standard setup?

As an aside, since FB seems much more open these days to the unexpected sparks that can come from rubbing up against odd combinations of great players, I humbly suggest that an entire EP or LP be made with Frank playing acoustic, and Rick Neilsen and Robin Zander on electric and backing vocals, Tom on bass, and Bun E. Carlos on drums.

Take your pick: Frank Trick, Cheap Frank, Black Trick, any one will do nicely (although I'm partial to Black Trick).

The few times I've heard Rick and Robin make contributions to other folks' records (i.e., The Posies) have been great, and I can't help but feel this potent combination of prodigious talent and chops could be a stone gas...

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  08:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was just two regular guys playing two regular basses.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  08:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished listening to the show, great, never heard that cover of Cactus or the tribute album songs before. Hearing New House Of The Pope again, I realise I really like that song. Frank's branching out again with Dog Tired! Great stuff, thank you very much Dean and Brian!

pas de dutchie!
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  08:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on the podcast guys! I listened to it last night on my iPod while I was lying in bed. I was surprised when I heard my name and then my cover though.

Good song selection too! I hadn't heard about 4 of those Frank songs.

I'll definitely be downloading the future podcasts.
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  09:19:54  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would it be possible to include one of the four tracks from the Hello Recording Club session (1993) in the next podcasts? They're hard to find, even on Soulseek, and I'm sure most of FB.netters haven't heard (of) them yet.

Just a humble suggestion :)

-----
Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  09:57:30  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Super podcast.

Thank you.

who said this forum was turning lame

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

Frequency31
- FB Fan -

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  10:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome job!! Very entertaining and informative. Can't wait 'till March.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  11:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As always, noting your suggestions. Thanks for listening.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  11:43:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

Heard it? I produced it...

I thought you had something to do with it.

Dog Sleep (in a funny way) reminds me of Bugsy Malone.

"... now i'm, getting that dog sleep"
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  12:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome and thanks, guys. I'd love to hear back-to-back versions of some of the songs FB has reworked in the past five or so years. For instance, Fiddle Riddle from TOTY, and then the slide steel version from 2001 live or the Velvety instrumental from the Pixies and then the DW version.
-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

Rosa Surfs
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  13:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some constructive criticism... of the 21 "tracks" (which includes 7 Brian & Dean talking tracks) there are only 11 Frank Black performances. 3 of which are from albums all of us should have already (Men In Black, New House of the Pope & Heloise). Which leaves 8 gems. I love the podcast idea and I love what you guys have done with it! Thank you so much for your hard work. But I would love to see a higher percentage of rare or unreleased stuff (from Frank) on future podcasts. Thanks again. Keep it up.

-David
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  13:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never really got the point of podcasts, until today. Absolutely great job guys - cant wait for the next one.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  14:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rosa (and Sprite (and everyone)), I agree completely, but rare stuff is, by definition hard to come by. Still, we're working on it. Some albums will be completely new to people checking out FB from the Pixies or just new to the scene so we're trying to balance promoting FB with giving us oldtimers some cool new stuff too. Thanks for the feedback though.

PS When I find a way to create an enhanced podcast on a PC (or save enough to buy a Macbook Pro) we will be using that format which will make the podcasting experience all the better.

PPS Hit a bit of a snag with Apple, but hoping to get our podcast officially listed there soon...

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  15:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice 1 re The Podcast guys : Ten out of Ten!

A suggestion for rare/unreleased track inclusion: DISCOVERING JAPAN.
Was mentioned by Jon Tiven once as a recorded track for a compilation, but was unused.
Could be interesting...

Btw, MY NAME IS GARY is also a good suggestion.
[and yes it is the same song from THE LOW-BUDGET TIME MACHINE film.]

(( I'm a Snake... cut in half 'cause I'm not the one you needed. ))
Go to Top of Page

Mister Dog
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  16:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, podcasts are usually really stupid and lame, but that was pretty cool.

Skinner, you're an odd man, but you sure know how to steam a ham.
Go to Top of Page

astrosurfer
- FB Fan -

Italy
39 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  16:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
........... i have some problem yet with the podcast...

the little thing who does my laundry, speaks no english...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000