Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  08:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard the Doug Sahm themed podcast today for the first time (I'm a little behind) -

Just wanted to let you know that I thoroughly enjoyed it!! Great job on that one!!

I think the Elvis version of Kingly Cave is pure genius by the way
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  17:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha thanks! Me too. :P

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  18:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darwin, that Bill Jocko's from the Mark Mulcachy tribute album Ciao My Shining Star. Not sure if you know it but all the info on tracks etc is on the podcast page on this site: www.frankblack.net/podcast

And actually I like that version of Dog Gone but to each their own of course...

Tease at the beginning?

Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  04:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool, I didn't know each episode had a tracklisting. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  01:27:51  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been really busy lately so not had the chance to listen to the previous three podcasts yet, but I did listen to the Doug Sahm one yesterday. One of you, Brian or Dean, mentioned you had allergy problems I'm guessing hay fever. I also suffer from that and recently decided to try bee pollen for it. I just wondered if you had tried this yourself, I personally have found it to be the most effective remedy I have ever used. Totally cured my hay fever the past two years, so much so that I have no problem breathing through my nose at all, like it's a frosty morning in December. Just thought you might benefit from the heads up, I'm going round telling everybody about it.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  10:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey boys are there any more of your p'casts in the pipeline? They are the best..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2010 :  07:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not 'til the New Year, probably we'll reconvene on Valentine's Day if Brian is still amenable. It's the beginning of season 4, our 50th podcast, and our 5 year anniversary too. So we have a bit of pressure to make it something a little out of the ordinary...

Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  03:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dean & Brian, will there be a special podcast on yearvalentine's day?
I am keeping my fngrs crossed.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  03:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sadly not. To be honest I've sadly not even talked to Brian in months. There will have to be at least one more at some point, I'm sure Brian would agree, but when I don't know... sorry.

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  22:11:26  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean,

I am still quote accumulator.

In 2004, floop recorded a copy of the DIY convention at which Frank Black gave a speech. He then gave it to Tim Franklin, Tim gave it to TheCrutonFuton, mdisanto liked TheCrutonFuton's suggestion that a low pass filter be set, Tim Franklin was defensive, I somehow got it. I downloaded it off the then ftp. I don't know if it's still on the ftp; I haven't checked the ftp since Mike Velonas (speedy_m) took it over, I still am computer illiterate but I know what a gopher site is.

In short: is this lost for good? I'm willing to try and transcribe it again.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  22:12:15  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean,

I am still quote accumulator.

In 2004, floop recorded a copy of the DIY convention at which Frank Black gave a speech. He then gave it to Tim Franklin, Tim gave it to TheCrutonFuton, mdisanto liked TheCrutonFuton's suggestion that a low pass filter be set, Tim Franklin was defensive, I somehow got it. I downloaded it off the then ftp. I don't know if it's still on the ftp; I haven't checked the ftp since Mike Velonas (speedy_m) took it over, I still am computer illiterate but I know what a gopher site is.

In short: is this lost for good? I'm willing to try and transcribe it again.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  06:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'd forgotten all about that... to be honest, I have no idea what the final resting place for that file is. I'll dig around the nether reaches of my hard drive and see if I have that somewhere but to be honest I don't think I do. If you have some energy to devote (and I can't find it), I'd love to have someone going through and both rebuilding the Discopedia (a lot of info was lost in the last hacker attack) with the new albums, lyrics, quotes, etc. Or rewriting the biographies which also were lost in the hacking (the ones there now I was able to pull off my dated backups). But I'll have a look for that DIY talk.

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  18:33:45  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean,

I have to admit I accumulated far more information on the songs I liked than on the ones I didn't.

This clashes severely with whatever interest I may have in being an archivist. I can't NOT be unbiased.

I don't really remember what "Places Named After Numbers" is about - black holes or something. "Punk Rock City" is about genetically altered people ("designer genes", heh) or something. I downloaded many bootlegs, some of which revealed the topics of his songs, some of which did not. I remember one AMAZING quote from pretty early on about his stuff isn't quirky compared to [pause] The Residents or some band like that. Compared to them, I feel like I'm in the Bay City Rollers.

At the end of the day, and in spite of everything, I think the best contribution I ever made to this forum is the following quote I got out of 'the man' himself:

"While I have written many a lyric in the Coral, the deli where I wrote the lyrics to L.A. was actually about a mile from there at the corner Hollywood Way and Magnolia. I forget what it was called. It closed years ago. I believe the Coral is still there, no?

I remember once at the Coral I couldn't stop staring at one of the other diners because it was Michael Palin. Everytime I peeked up to double-check that it actually was Michael Palin he would catch me staring. It was very embarrassing for me, and I'm sure annoying for Michael Palin, but I just couldn't help myself. I couldn't believe Michael Palin was actually sitting in this coffee shop, not really such a strange event considering the Coral is in Burbank, CA, but when you're star struck you're star struck. Some years later I was standing quite alone in the alley behind a famous rock club on London, a narrow alley formed by the tall buildings there with just a sliver of sky shining down, kind of like a scene from Brazil, when suddenly out of a doorway, which was surreally located about halfway up one of these tall, windowless brick cliffs, stepped a man. Our eyes locked in that quiet moment, that lonely place, just the two of us cut off from the rest of the world. It was Michael Palin."

If you have any audio on hand, I might be able to transcribe it into raw text for you. But I don't have an ipod, so you'd need to send me a .zip with .mp3 files attached. I'd prefer you sent them directly to rebeccasachshatesme [at] yahoo [dot] com, but that e-mail address gets a lot of spam.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  18:36:27  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and another thing:

Buddy Holly wrote some short songs, but as far as sub-two minute songs (non-punk, whatever that means) go, The Dave Clark Five takes the fucking cake.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  00:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you guys smacking out another ep?

Edited by - Mac E. Doobage on 01/09/2012 17:53:26
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  12:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, don't you guys have some stuff you could put on a podcast?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  16:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, we do (and thanks!) but we are trying to coordinate this with our own schedules and FB's ever busy-schedule, too. It's on the list with some special treats.

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  04:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hurry ewp.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  02:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Podcast? C'mon...now.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  16:05:22  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm going through and finally listening to all these things (i have a job where i sit at a computer and listen to my ipod all day).

this is great shit. i'm hearing songs i never knew existed! covers an shit from the past 5 years. it's so weird to hear (out loud) other people talk about frank black.

the radio "tuned to the big fleet" episode has several sessions from around the bld/dw era with frank and a guitarist. brian, you thought each one was with rich, but i'm 99.9% sure they were with dave philips.

the 93-03 version of 666 stuck out to me for the first time, and then the next day i listened to a podcast where you played it! like minds, fellas.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  16:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the next one?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  21:46:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It won't be until next year, I'm afraid. But you can always catch up on the classics...

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  16:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a s'more accurate eta.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  17:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's got what for TK?
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  10:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
?????????

Edited by - Mac E. Doobage on 02/02/2012 10:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  17:42:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is TK?

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  05:59:37  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Telekinesis, obviously,
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  06:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Title TK
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  06:27:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tk

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  09:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kid.

When's the new ep coming?
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  10:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_come_%28publishing%29
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  19:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I keep looking for the "Like" button. Damn you, Facebook.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  16:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Podcast?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  14:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian and I have been trying to get together but for obvious reasons he is a busy man and for less obvious reasons, I am, too. Still, if nothing else I will promise one final podcast with more rambling than you could dare dream for. It will be released when it is ready.

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  02:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

It will be released when it is ready.

Heh. Always left us wanting more.

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000