Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:57:27  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

It is actually the most overrated FB song in my opinion.

It's a poor man's St. Francis Dam Disaster.

But i still dig it.

-Brian

heh. i always thought headache was. i think it's great but i would consider it one of my least favorite nutil the honeycomb album came out. :)
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:58:25  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Overrated?! The MOST overrated?!!? I always felt underrated.

It's definitely in the vein of St. Francis, but with rock attached. I like St. Francis better, but it's darned close. Darned!

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I concur. St. Francis Damnit is better.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:01:56  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bonedry

where are you guys from, your accents are ridiculous

i love the accents.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:03:19  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black franciscan

Excellent #8 fellas!

I love the solo Jane Queen of Love... if I had one complaint about Honeycomb, which, though not my favourite FB record, I can't put down at the moment - my only complaint woudl be that the songs that i've heard fromm that album as solo accoustic I prefer that way..! 'Sunday Sunny...', 'Today I burn', classic songs, and to my mind, better with less production. Not that there is anything wrong with the Honeycomb production technically, it's just not so much my cup of tea...

The tri-progression (or whatever) was a cool idea - allround great episode...

And looking forward to No9...

My mind is like the ocean...

http://www.gilagraphics.co.uk

I totally agree. honeycomb is the first frank black album i don't dig all of the way through. i think it would've been better if they picked the 10 best songs and frank did them acoustic.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:05:47  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kfs

I really enjoyed podcast #10! Well done, guys!
Also, the FM/RM commercial was cool...and effective. I'd buy it if I hadn't already ordered it! Thanks!

i think there should be a "commercial" for every album released. but 5 minutes may be a little too long. imho.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:12:39  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

I'm trying to catch up on the podcasts, haven't heard the latest one yet. They're great. Hearing that full-band version of Boom Chicka Boom from a few episodes back was great. Keep up the good work, guys!!

--------

"Leguman...Leguman!"

boom chicka boom is one of my all time favorite songs by charles.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:21:25  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

great podcast but im kinda starting to dislike kim deal for not wanting new pixies music

The Truth Is Out There

heh. i think 2 new pixies songs (as well as the acoustic live "all around the world") are fabulous and i would be excited about a new pixies album, but i totally can see where kim would not want. especially since they had 5 of the best albums ever (6 if you include the b-sides). how many times have bands got back together years later and made a good album? pretty much never.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:22:00  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

great job you guys. i love how you keep the party music going during your Frank interview. pretty funny..

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur

i concur. totally dorky and charming. :)
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:23:57  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, contest winners for the Oddballs disc. There are no winners for the trivia contest from podcast 10 yet.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

oddballs is an amazing album. of the thousands of albums i have made a list of the top 175 best, imho, and oddballs is on that list. superb.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:26:31  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

Katherine asked about The Adventure and the Resolution played at the beginning of the podcast. I listen to Cult of Ray often in my car, and 5 seconds after that song starts I always expect to hear Dean's voice. It's weird to just hear the rest of the song.

me too! i like that that song was chosen as an intro because it's definitely not a fave of mine and thus always forgotten but now it holds a special place in my heart.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:29:39  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a guy in a rover

Very interesting interview. Interesting to hear Franks opinion on the legacy of the Pixies ie he doesnt give a fuck if they made a new record and it came out shitty.

Kiss my ring...I am the greatest

i think he does, at least alot more than he appears to. he is just a modest guy. he also talks about how he doesn't care about lots of things like lyrics and such but they are almost always perfect. maybe that's just because he's naturally a genius.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:33:47  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Born to Lose

I bought Revival through eMusic and I'm really diggin' it. Lucky's Tune is next on my list.

i think both albums are good but revival is far better in my opinion. a must.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:52:31  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Certainly you shouldn't alienate your listeners, but there's a way to tell them there's great information out there without saying they're not part of the club. Then again, I'm just sniping from the sidelines, and couldn't do one-tenth as good a job as you guys do. You guys have done a hell of a job, and get better with every single episode, and many of us are grateful for your blood, sweat and tears -- and time. So I'm shutting up now.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Look, a pony!

i concur.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:05:29  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lumpy

Small suggestion for a song: My friend recently got me listening to this interesting band called TV on the Radio. They do a very strange yet beautiful version of Mr. Grieves. It's basically an a capella, barbershop quintet version of the song. Even if you don't/can't use it for a podcast, it's definitely worth checking out.

i concur. one of the best covers i've heard of pixies songs.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:09:43  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black franciscan

cool podcast - not least because I got a name check and a cd.. whoo!

Juvenile moment aside, I just love 'I will run', so to hear the original acoustic version was priceless.
Said it before, say it again, 'Frank, do an accoustic album! - or just throw all these demos on a low price CD or do another iTunes special download or sumthin''

Oh, and get back on UK itunes as well... oh, just checked, and you are... good job!

the Black Franciscan is out...

My mind is like the ocean...

http://www.gilagraphics.co.uk

i totally agree. i have an album of acoustic demos 93-96 along with a couple of acoustic shows that are absolute gold. much better in my opinion than FMRM or honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  10:37:49  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still have to see lQl... one of these days I'll buy it.

I'm not sure why it's among peoples' favs either, I'd say it might even be my least favourite Oddballs track (though that's hardly an insult).

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."

i concur. it's a great song on a great album. but definitly not the best. i like it because it's alot different from most of his songs. especially solo stuff.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:05:41  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

quote:

It just goes to show, FB's music is diverse, and we fans are likely to appreciate certain aspects of it more than others.

So true. Speaking for myself, it was (and is) the "louderish" pre-catholic black that hit me where it matters, and like hearing the Pixies for the very first time, those moments of "now this is what I'm looking for" stay with me like fond memories. The Catholics, though still rocking, diluted the sound and rush that turned me on in the beginning, but took me to another level of appreciation completely. There's a Frank Black song out there to satisfy any rock and roll craving I desire.

Frank Black will be a legend.
Frank Black is one of the best of all time.

i concur
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:06:37  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by beckett trance

quote:

I think my biggest problem with it (which isn't really a problem) is the tone of FB's voice in it - it doesn't really sound like him.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com

He wrote in the liner notes that he was trying to be Daltry.

...who i generally dislike.

but you genrally LOVE keith moon right?
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:01:53  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way, Surf Epic isn't the longest song in FB's catalog -- that honor goes to the Frank Black Francis version of Planet of Sound, which weighs in at 14 minutes and 56 seconds. I've never made it through the whole thing, but iTunes tells me it's that long.

Is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

is it really?? i've only listened to that album 4 times. the least of all of his works.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:31:07  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There were actually 2 different Nadine versions. Podcasts #11-12.

And for future reference, every note we play is chronicled here: http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/

Thanks for this, Brian. I'd been trying (not that hard) to find these tracks among the podcasts. Since there aren't chapters in the podcasts (that's not really a complaint, though chapters would be nice), it's sorta difficult to find a song, especially because I wasn't even sure which podcasts "Nadine" was in.

Anyhow, what a great damn song, maybe FB's best ever. Between demos, live tracks, a TV show (Henry Rollins) and the album version, I think I must have close to 15 versions of this song, and it's so hard to pick a favorite. The Saskatoon show almost nails the spirit of the song best, because he sounds like he's completely losing his mind over this girl, which is exactly what the song's about. The version with Morris Tepper (that's the one from the Henry Rollins show) is way up there, too, if only because Tepper plays such a great guitar.

Brian, you called this song "blues" on a recent podcast. I'm not so sure about that. The album version is blues, I think, but that seems to be the only one. But maybe you're right. What do you think makes it a blues song, if indeed it is one?

And aren't you havin' fun?

Interesting. Although definitely a pixies-esque song and a great one at that. It's probably my least favorite of the other post-pixies "pixies-esque" songs.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:32:24  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The podcast will be delayed a day or so - my PC, on which i was doing all the work on, died on Tuesday. RIP. With it took over 100 songs i have written/recorded over the last 5 years, 10,000 mp3s as well as my senior thesis and all the podcast files. Luckily, i have most of them backed up, and just have to reassemble the podcast - i re-recorded all my parts last night and should be done (i hope) tonight. My sincerest aplogies. Fuck Dell.

UUUgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!! I feel your pain!
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  09:27:31  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmjk

Do you have the next podcast ready to go?
Will it include the Brownies song from Tim and Eric Awesome Show?

why are there no posts in all of 2008 on this thread? it jumps from 2007 to 2009.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:05:33  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

All other FB albums edition:

Pigrim: Vamos (b/c the Surfer version blows it away) I agree. but i don't skip it.
Surfer: I'm Amazed No Way! it took me years but after hearing it acoustic and learning the words and then learning to play it i love it.
Doolittle: None
Bossa: None
Trompe: Lovely Day One of my all time fave's ever!!
B-Sides: Letter to Memphis instrumental I concur. What the heck was the point. it is good however to use whenever you need a good quiet instrumental
BBC: Is She Weird? (grossly inferior to Bossa) whatev's, i'm not a big fan of the bbc cd, just cuz it's nothing new. (cept wild honey pie)

Oddballs: "Remake/Remodel" - because live it is so much better. the live is the most amazing ever. but i definitely don't skip it. never!!
OMRFTH: None
Snake Oil: I'm Going Down this reminds me of the boss, not great, but not skippable
Christmass: All Around the World (took a while but i totally love this song now, specially the pixies acoustic version)

Grand Duchy: Black Suit

- Brian

Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:17:48  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

quote:
If we had done the Pixies I'd be hard pressed to pick any song to skip. Maybe Silver, I used to skip that all the time, until, in fact, Mike Disanto's cover of it made me see that song in a different light. I now love it in a unique way.

It's wandering through an eerie, dark, congested forest before falling into a bottomless pit called Gouge Away.

www.myspace.com/thepeacoats

sliver is soooo good, one of the first pixies songs i learned how to play.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:53:44  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

I always said that? I don't remember saying that, or what I meant by it.

I guess there are worse indie touchstones you could have indentified. I mean I like all those band (to varying degrees), but I'd rather be compared to Joy Division than Interpol. Better to sound like you're ripping off a classic band, rather than ripping off a band that is ripping off a classic band.

www.myspace.com/thepeacoats

i totally agree.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:06:16  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Sorry, i think the Fight Club scene is much more poignant. Also, can you really imagine Jack Sheapord owning Doolittle?

i concur. although i picture it more like he owned the album because he liked here cums your man, but needed to listen to something agressive so went for gouge.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  12:46:23  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Great podcast. I haven't really heard much of the catholics live to be honest, they sound like a great live band.

i'm glad there was a podcast of catholics covering pixies songs, but i didn't really dig most of them any more than the pixies live.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  12:49:21  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry so many posts in a row. i just read this thread all at once. it was like reading a short book on my breaks at work. only took like a week. :)
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  01:09:19  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

quote:
Originally posted by pmjk

Do you have the next podcast ready to go?
Will it include the Brownies song from Tim and Eric Awesome Show?

why are there no posts in all of 2008 on this thread? it jumps from 2007 to 2009.

There are holes! You may be able to find them in a Google archive. FBnet has suffered hackers and data loss.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  16:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian and Dean,

Would it be possible for you to let us in on how many new songs from NSE we might expect to hear in the upcoming podcast? Thanks for all your efforts!

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  03:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem Joe Fitz, that's why we keep archives although it's a bit overwhelming to reply to them, esp. with so many "i agrees". Anyway, glad you were entertained.

Oddball, I don't remember the exact number but it's plenty and only two days away. :)

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  03:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Hi Brian and Dean,

Would it be possible for you to let us in on how many new songs from NSE we might expect to hear in the upcoming podcast? Thanks for all your efforts!

-Oddball

More than three, less than ten.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  05:22:22  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry. still learning. :) don't spend much of my time on the internet. I'm usually rocking the F--k out! :) but my job at work has me in the office more. so now i'm spending my time studying up on the awesome charles.
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Brian and Dean. So this podcast will go live Sunday?

-Oddball
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:35:58  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Thanks, Brian and Dean. So this podcast will go live Sunday?

-Oddball

More realistically, Monday morning.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000