Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:58:59  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good show!

1. But, no dancing hotdogs.
2. No mention of Der Golem.
3. Wasn't there a bonus Frank Black video on a DVD,
maybe that was Low Budget Time Machine?
4. FB IMDB page
5. My favourite part of the Grosse Pointe Blank was when
Live and Let Die changes to Muzak when they go into the
convenience store.

Edited by - hammerhands on 09/03/2009 21:02:41
Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  01:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great Podcast, well done .

If you are doing a follow up what about the songs that did not make it into the movies like;
Black suit - Spiderman 3
Bam Thwok - Shrek 2
And wasnt there nother mystry pixies song recorded for a shrek movie but never released?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  02:05:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, great stuff again. No idea what you guys were talking about though, I just switch off during that bit.

Loved the Gary song BTW

The best uses of A Pixies song in film and television that I can remember is

*Lost end of season 4 spoiler alert below*
When Doc Jack is back in America, and he's fucked up on pharms and Gouge Away comes on the radio in his car as he is driving to the funeral parlour.

I love that moment, particularly because I am a fan of that song and also becuase it think it really emphasises the contrast between having spent months (or in the audience's time frame years) living on a desert island and then coming back into the developed world.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-

Edited by - pot on 09/09/2009 03:22:07
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  02:25:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh my god!

And you guys even played Where is my mind? just AFTER I ate a space cookie for breakfast!

How did you know I was even gonna do that?

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-

Edited by - pot on 09/09/2009 02:26:05
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  01:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0686139/
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  01:35:54  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard Here Comes Your Man played over a trailer for
I Love You Man today.
Go to Top of Page

Pete Egress
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  02:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys missed "You can't break heart and have it > Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
(played during the surfing montage)

GREAT movie
GREAT song (perhaps my in my top 3 favorites from that cd)

Pretty sure there were a few others
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  02:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Egress

You guys missed "You can't break heart and have it > Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
(played during the surfing montage)

GREAT movie
GREAT song (perhaps my in my top 3 favorites from that cd)

Pretty sure there were a few others

We mentioned it at the end of the show. For licensing reasons, we can usually only play FBF original compositions, unless we have the permission of the original artist to play the cover (like we have had from Reid Paley ["Take What You Want"] and the estate of Larry Norman ["Six Sixty Six"]).

We know we missed a few, but we wanted to mix up the familiar and the obscure and keep it from being super long. I hope we succeeded.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  12:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just catching up, i'm listening to the Grand Duchy one right now. I really liked the digital only grand duchy one, which surprised me because i really disliked Petit Fours. Now that i think about it, i think i'm fine with Grand Duchy so long as it's not a dance song or as long as it doesnt sound too slick and poppy - like something you'd hear on the radio. Or maybe i just like the Frank led songs...
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  23:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah another good 'cast. I liked it, well done.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  10:10:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just re-listened to the latest podcast and in between all the stuff about fight club you do mention gouge away in Lost, so my apologies.

I love the film fight club, but for me I just found the scene in Lost more poignant, possibly for various reasons.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  04:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, i think the Fight Club scene is much more poignant. Also, can you really imagine Jack Sheapord owning Doolittle?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  18:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's a good point - though Jack does have those seemingly uncharacteristic tattooes as well so... ?

Brian and I just got off the phone with EDF and another secret guest, what a great time! We have some exciting podcasts in the hopper for you, I'm more excited than I have been in a hwhile.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  03:02:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can imagine Jack being a fan of the Pixies actually!

That is kind of a mute point anyway, I just think the song reflects the moment very well.

Also, going by his age, Doolittle may well have been released during his years as a med student, in which case there's a very good chance he would be a HUGE fan.

I've only seen Fight Club once, and it's a great film but it was years ago so maybe if I watched that scene again I would come round to agreeing with you.

Isn't it the case though, that Where is my mind? would add something special to any film scene? It's just a great song, and probably the song that most people think of identify with the pixies.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-

Edited by - pot on 09/18/2009 04:50:11
Go to Top of Page

hilljack
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  09:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Gary song is the best FB song I've heard in a long time! So sloppy and raw in the best way possible! Dave Phillips rules!
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  02:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hilljack

the Gary song is the best FB song I've heard in a long time! So sloppy and raw in the best way possible! Dave Phillips rules!

I think it's Joey Santiago, no?
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  00:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st day of the month! new podcast!! mark mulcahy tribute!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  03:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

1st day of the month! new podcast!! mark mulcahy tribute!

We aim to please - we hope you enjoy it!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  03:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Good! I like the MM version of Bill Jocko.

RIP Melissa.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  03:48:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also really like the song Don't Get Me Wrong. But I always thought it was FB who was singing the backing vocals on it! Anyone know who the second baldy person in the video is, or is that FB, it just doesn't look like him? It's hard to tell...

I just watched this video again, and I happened to notice this time at 2m38s into it when he is standing in the shower playing the guitar, you can see someone in the room reflected off a mirror in the background, on the top left of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolEWYrK_Oo

Just an observation. Anyone know who this mystery person might be? Just curious to know is all.

*emergency crappy askiitobee*

Edited by - pot on 10/02/2009 03:55:47
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  06:09:59  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I also really like the song Don't Get Me Wrong. But I always thought it was FB who was singing the backing vocals on it! Anyone know who the second baldy person in the video is, or is that FB, it just doesn't look like him? It's hard to tell...

I just watched this video again, and I happened to notice this time at 2m38s into it when he is standing in the shower playing the guitar, you can see someone in the room reflected off a mirror in the background, on the top left of the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolEWYrK_Oo

Just an observation. Anyone know who this mystery person might be? Just curious to know is all.

Hard to tell because it's so quick, but I'm going to guess it is Violet.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  06:22:55  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was my guess too.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  06:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was hoping that this podcast would have you guys talking more...i mean, Thom Yorke! Dinosaur Jr.! Some great Mulcahy tunes...any thoughts?

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  07:53:41  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, the MOST controversial thing was the statement
that the best post Frank Black song was Don't Get
Me Wrong, which is on an album that gave us a peak
at Dead Man's Curve.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  09:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Well, the MOST controversial thing was the statement
that the best post Frank Black song was Don't Get
Me Wrong, which is on an album that gave us a peak
at Dead Man's Curve.

DMC is a great song, and the best version of that song is on Christmass (not a fan of the drum work on any of the live versions - i feel it kills the momentum - the chugging acoustic guitar line by FB is minimized with the full band), but DGMW, i still feel, is a stronger, more interesting song that, so far, has never been played live, unlike DMC which has been dusted off solo acoustic, w/ the EDF/Billy Block/Duane Jarvis band, the 93-03 band and the Bluefinger band.

I'm also a big fan of Reid Paley, especially as a lyricist, so that might be part of my bias towards it as well.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2009 :  11:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

...my bias towards it...

- Brian

You might also like to add that DGMW picked up the most mentions in this, the Favourite Post-Nashville Song?, thread
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19561

Edited by - trobrianders on 10/13/2009 11:09:26
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  08:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after dean included ATOM IN MY HEART in the songs to skip podcast i have lost all respect! ....haha!

i've never listened to mark mulcahy's music before except for his work with frank...so a great intro...plus really peaked my interest by having so many great artists contributing to the project..

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  05:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New episode should be up momentarily. Sorry friends, i was too busy at work to put it up yesterday. Enjoy!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  11:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is up indeed - it is a good one too! Some versions I don't think I've ever heard before, inc The Rolling Stone one.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  12:00:42  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job on an ambitious podcast!

Yeah, what is the Rolling Stone session and
where was it available?

That first line in Wave of Mutilation is the
same first line that is in a Beach Boys song
that Charles Manson wrote. I hope it's not
about an ex-girlfriend.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  12:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Rolling Stone session was posted on Rollingstone.com years ago. I'll throw it in the FB&C-Sides later tonight when i get home. I believe its 4 songs and an interview, or something like that...

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:27:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Hammond Organ sounds great on The Catholics version of Gouge Away. Pity they didn't feature more of that sound on their albums, it sounds so much better than the twangy guitar.

Go to Top of Page

pmjk
- FB Fan -

Ireland
92 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  22:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work yet again Brian & Dean.
Could you do a follow up of the Doolitle B sides?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  23:22:00  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... and an encore would be nice too.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  02:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmjk

Nice work yet again Brian & Dean.
Could you do a follow up of the Doolitle B sides?

We debated including the b-sides in our podcast, but decided against it for time concerns - when i'm editing, i try and keep our podcasts between 40-60 minutes (mainly because of file size and frustration when you have to add/take out something in giant files). Plus, besides live versions, there really aren't too many unusual takes on those songs. We tried to represent a decent cross-section of ways the songs have been interpreted - acoustic, live, covered, etc.

But perhaps we'll do an alternate Complete B-Sides show one day...

Thanks for the feedback!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000