Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  12:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Ben interview was straight up just chopping out sections and occasional pauses where he or we ponder for an extended time; the only post-production on it was some mastering and recording the lead-in/out.

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  16:00:41  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected and apologize. Thanks for the info.

Due to my present condition and predicaments of being a crippled as a result of the fatal accident that I had, I am not able to carry out this contract because I can only walk on a wheel chair.
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2006 :  05:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

BTW, Ben was awesome to talk to and had some really cool insights, it's a shame we (Brian) had to shave it down.

I echo this wholeheartedly. It is somewhat of a shame that an hour and a half of great conversation had to be distilled down to 12 minutes.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com

That was an equally informative and entertaining interview. Any chance to hear more of it? I would love to. If the remaining parts have enough substance that is, of course.

Great podcast, as allways. Thank you guys!
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  08:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A naive suggestion probably, but who knows...

I always thought the legendary 18th track on the Purple Tape was a joke... until I read that in Fool the World (p. 83):

GARY SMITH: I think there were some other songs that we mixed. One is a song called "Watch What You're Doing" which never came out, which I just recently discovered sitting on a shelf in my house.

Wouldn't this make a great bonus? :)

-----
Blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français

Edited by - Frog in the Sand on 08/30/2006 08:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  14:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to tell you the 14th Episode is awesome! Once more, thank you guys.

(Why "sorry"? Because I guess you're tired of always reading the same compliment, written in the same poor English :)

-----
Blackolero le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  19:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No no, thanks Yann. The same comment is better than awkward silence/no comment. :) Thanks for listening as always!

Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  21:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, what was that PPS (Post Podcast Silence) about? Maybe the Labor Day weekend, for all you Norte Americanos. Who knows. However, I would like to say that it was another case of the AAPD's (Another Awesome Podcast Dudes!!) MY favorite moment besides hearing Adda Lee again from Brooklyn was during the FB interview and Frank just gets done saying that he was thinking about doing a Podcast and I quote Brian, "I'm so sorry." F#*!-ing priceless!!
Great interview!!!
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  05:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Podcast 14 is really a great selection.
Now big question: why so much FB alternative versions are better than the originals, not in sound quality but in the feeling of truth, of having here the REAL ORIGINAL TRUE song that really makes sense???
I don't count them anymore, but for example I really didn't care about the Marsist album version.
My life is in storage: now we can ear the Honeycomb version hugely lacks Frank's audacious pop chords progression. It turned into a bass driven jazz rock forgotable tune!
I guess he builds songs with just his guitar, first they make sense like that, then the job of puting other instruments on it can do it well or fail completly.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  05:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange to hear about Watt. He's so totally unknown in France.
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  08:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, speaking of Mike Watt. I caught Iggy and the Stooges at Montreux this summer and Mike Watt was playing for the Stooges. So, not only did you have Iggy's great stage performance, but Mike and the Asheton brothers were just amazing. Also, if anyone caught Mike warming up for the Pixies at the Hammerstein in Dec. 2004, you know what kind of energy and musicianship he lays out there.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  08:45:42  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the pod casts rock!
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  09:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved Episode 14! Caputures the magic of the Brooklyn show, and the Philly recordings are great.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  13:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I search my iTunes library for, say, Nadine, the results include frankblack.net podcasts #12 and 13. But when I look through the track info for those podcasts, I can't figure out where that is encoded. How do you do that?

Look, a pony!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  17:21:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know what you mean... sorry.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On iTunes, there is a search window at the top right. If you type in "nadine," you'll get all the results for songs, artists, or albums with "nadine" in them. When I do that with my own iTunes library, the results that come back include fb.net podcasts #12 and 13. Because I've listened to those podcasts, I know they include the song "Nadine." But I can't figure out how my iTunes search knows that. I assume somebody has encoded the podcast files somehow to include all the songs that are on those podcasts. I hope that's more clear.

Great job choosing the songs for #14, Dean and Brian. This tour is rich in great songs to choose from, and I thought you guys did a masterful job with the selections you made. Especially Dead Man's Curve. Oh, and Brian, check out the very end of that song from the 3/15/06 Cafe du Nord show -- I double-checked, and he does say, "That's called Dead Man's Curve." I think you can bank on that title. At least for now.

Look, a pony!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  22:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, no, the feed for the podcast includes a tracklist (see http://www.frankblack.net/podcast) and it probably searches through that. I didn't realize you could search podcasts for songs though, very cool!

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  06:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PC No.14 great as always! My Life Is In Storage = amazing!!

Btw, re Dead Man's Curve ~ if you scroll down the pics on the first page, you can see it is written in the setlist-
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15616

(( I'm a Snake... ))
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  07:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads-up on Dead Man's Curve guys. I guess that one is a lock then, too.

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  05:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to thank you again guys Brian + Dean for the PC's. They are a real bonus for the FB fans : to hear the rare tracks, interviews and insights, etc. PC No.15 is great. Love EDF.

(( I'm a Snake... ))
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  08:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. I was delighted that we were able to chat with Eric, I'm so impressed with his collaborative efforts with FB, not to mention production on other records (Polyphonic Spree's latest, for example).

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  13:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great show again, guys. Lovely accent this week, Dean.

Shiny!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  13:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha, it changed?

Or did you mean when I said "... in a tale of two men's struggle to find an audience." Because even I thought that worked out pretty well. Especially 'audience'. Or maybe it was the hillbilly/'authentic Dean' accent?

Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  14:22:50  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The exclusive tracks (ie: demos) and interviews are what makes those podcasts great to me, so nice work and keep them coming !

nb: Where does the If it takes all night cover we hear during the contest question come from ?
Is it just a home made jingle ?
Sounds great anyway. I'd love ot hear more of it.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  14:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they're my favourite part, too. :)

And yeah, that's just a little homemade jinglejangle. I play that song as a lullaby sometimes when I'm feeling more mellow/my little sis (well, now she's 9 but this was a few years back) is asleep or going to sleep. I just made it a bit more stacatto and faster to give it that game show/Jeopardy feel.

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was interesting that EDF said Frank gave him a list of 40 songs and none of them were Pixies. From at least the solo acoustic tour, it seems Frank likes dipping into his Pixies bag quite a bit. Maybe he assumes the band will know enough of those already?

Shiny!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  14:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect it's because he's got Nashville guys along, but I don't know... I thought that interesting, too, but I certainly have no complaints.

Go to Top of Page

Pete Egress
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  19:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heres another happy listener posting his praise to the 2 of you.
I have every podcast so far loaded onto my ipod, and repeatedly listen to each one in order on my commute to work.
Much better than the usual shlocky morning radio shows.

Have you guys considered compiling a "best of the FB podcast" collection? Maybe could be an end of year holiday thing.
There are so many rare gems in there, I'd love to hear many of those recodings together as a compilation.

Also--you've been discussing the rumors about the next Eric Drew Feldman /FB collaboration. HAve you gotten any hints that we might see (or hear?) a return to the weird quirky sci-fi days of TOTY and the Orange CD?
I love the new stuff, but I really miss hearing songs about astrophysics and space lemurs.

(edit--didnt see there was a NEW podcast about EDF--maybe the answer are in there...)

Edited by - Pete Egress on 09/15/2006 19:31:16
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  22:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed they are. :) Thanks very much for the comments. A best-of rarities is a great idea, I'll file that away. I don't know how it'd fly with the guys upstairs, but I like it.

Go to Top of Page

Pete Egress
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  14:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cult of Frank.
I had another idea as well if you were open to it.
Halloween is coming up (dont know if that happens in Canada also).
Would be cool to focus on all the spookier songs from the Frank Black (and Pixies?) catalogue.
Lots of UFO abduction, Mars colonization songs (at least 3 I can think of), and I beleive theres a few deranged serial killer themed songs in there too.

And as for your "guys upstairs" comment.
Maybe provide that each download of the compilation requires a donation to the "send Frank to Mars" fund. Now THAT would be a cool concert.
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  14:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kudos again Gents!!! Great idea to feature Mr.E.D. Feldman!!! I have to agree with Dean about "Teenager." Actually, the track that completely had me going nuts back then about Erics' work was "Fiddle Riddle." That sweeping break and those tones after "no metal, no brick", SUUUWWWEEEEEEETTT!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  09:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great new PC guys. Frank's got a great partner in EDF. That version of "Space" was superbitchen too. Sounds like EDF has a little more influence on how things end up sounding than your typical sidekick might. Do you get that feeling? Whatever. He sure is a cool guy. Thanks for tracking him down.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2006 :  04:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was very interesting to hear that interview.

I'd certainly have no complaints about not hearing Pixies songs on the forthcoming tour. But since he actually has that band in existance now, it seems unecessary, particularly when there are so many good songs from his solo back catalogue.

Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  20:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small suggestion for a song: My friend recently got me listening to this interesting band called TV on the Radio. They do a very strange yet beautiful version of Mr. Grieves. It's basically an a capella, barbershop quintet version of the song. Even if you don't/can't use it for a podcast, it's definitely worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  15:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me that's having problems with Podcast 16? It ends just after 'Dont clip your wings'..
Go to Top of Page

lumpy
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  15:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope. Me too. I haven't finished listening to it, but I heard them say 16 minutes of music, and I only saw 6:59 on the description on iTunes. Hopefully, there will be some fixing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000