Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LoafingOaf
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  03:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy....

So I'm, like, brand new here. But a longtime listener of Frank Black's music.

Anyway, back when he released his first solo album he jumped into a car with his guitar and visited radio stations and whatnot. One of those visits was to a college station in the suburbs of Cleveland, at John Carrol Univ. I happened to tape it, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm one of the only ones with this on tape. If it's the sort of thing people are interested in, I'd like to try and make this available to others.

Here's a brief discription: The radio station were doing their fund-raiding that week, and Frank Black came by to talk about his new record, play a few songs on his guitar, and give the station signed copies of the album to give to those who donated money to the station. It's actually a pretty long thing. The interview is cool and relaxed because the host was not a professional, just a music-loving student. Frank gives insight into some of the songs (mentions how "Czar" was inspired by John Denver, for example). Oh, one interesting thing is, when the chat gets on the topic of archeology, Frank basically tells the story that a few years later became the subject of a song - "Skeleton Man." And he does some fun acoustic versions of a coupel songs. "Czar", "Ramona.... Oh and a brief moment of "Beat on the Brat."

Anyway, I'm going on too long here. The problem is, I have no idea how to get this from cassette to digital form for the computer. If someone out there can do this, I'd be happy to get the tape to that person so that person can then make it available to everyone else online. I think it's worth the trouble...that is, if no one else has this radio appearance online yet.

Other than that, I'm glad I decided to find a Frank Black web site. Looks like lots of cool shit around here.......

Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

LoafingOaf
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  03:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typo: "The radio station were doing their fund-raiding that week"

HaHa...I meant fund-raising.....

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  04:09:18  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dude, can't help with converting the tape, but would love to hear it. Here's hoping!

So do you actually play that guitar or is it just for show?
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  05:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
howdy loafing oaf. ya, that would be great if you can convert it. if not, feel free to tell us more about it. frank stories can never be too long....
ya, and lots of cool shit around here.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  06:59:09  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

I can convert it, but The Netherlands is a long way for a tape to travel on it's own.

Maybe Floop can do it!

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  09:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Loaf. Of course we'd all love to hear that, hopefully it can be made possible!!

"Yo! Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!"
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  18:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds cool! I hope to be able to hear it. Whatever you do, if you can figure out how to convert it, don't make mp3s or anything lossy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't emphasize that enough!

ˇViva los Católicos!

Edited by - NimrodsSon on 12/30/2005 18:01:23
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  18:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I can convert it, but The Netherlands is a long way for a tape to travel on it's own.

Maybe Floop can do it!

God save the Noisies

Same for me, as I live in France, but I can give you one way to record the tape to computer. If you own whatever who plays tapes with a plug for headphones, all you would have to do is buy a mini-jack cable(the format of the headphones plugs) with two 'male' plugs, not an extension cord(wich has one 'male' plug, and one female)! A cable that sould look like this:
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/images/items/rk-g136.jpg
That should not be very expensive, and it's often very useful if you like to save things that you own only in tape!
Then you can link up your tape player to the "microphone" or "line in" plug of your computer sound card(right next to where you plugged your speakers, probably).
And finally, by double clicking on the volume icon in your system tray, and selecting the microphone or line in(depending on where you plugged your minijack 'male'-'male' cable on the pc) in the recording options(it's in the options of the volume control panel), you will be able to record the tape from your tape player via the mini-jack cable with no problem.
If you don't have any software to record on your pc, I suggest you Audacity, wich is free(I use sound forge but it's not, tried Audacity very quickly but seems perfect for what you need to do with! You can even export your recorded file in wav or mp3).
Sorry, this message was a bit long, I hope I was understandable(as english's not my native language) and that will help you if you don't find somebody to record you the tape!

Edited by - ruzom on 12/30/2005 18:24:04
Go to Top of Page

moro
- FB Fan -

Italy
192 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  02:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, I'd love to hear that too, but I can't be of any help in converting it to pc
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  07:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
reminds me i've got a nice FB interview + anoher show hosted by FB, where he plays and comments his 15 favourite R&R tracks. it's from austrian radio, COR period. it's on tape, and basically, my girlfriend could convert it...
i hope to have it done soon, i wanted to do this for ages.

the interview is nice. it's a very bored and therefore cynical frank. again, he makes fun of the predictable journalist questions. especially the austrian guy thinks he is super-smart, but he has no idea what the music of frank is about...

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  08:32:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I presume you all heard the Lowlands Festival 2001 interview where Frank Black ask
if he can get the interview on cd afterwards so he can listen to himself and masturbate at the same time.

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Vinyl Justice on the Adam And Joe show:

"Do you ever find yourself listening to your own music, Mr. Black?"

"Ah, y'know, uh, only when I'm masturbating."

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LoafingOaf, welcome.

Carl, is that an accurate and real quote?

I got some heaven in my head

Go to Top of Page

LoafingOaf
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  14:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Ruzom: Thank you for those instructions. I have software that does that, but not the the other stuff...and I'm afraid it might take me weeks of blowing it off before I'd ever get going on that, because I'm not very...um...technologically "with it" and I'm preoccupied with a lot of shit right now. But let me think on it for a day or so......

I'd be more inclined to mail a copy of the tape to someone who knows what they're doing. I see there are three people here who say they can convert it (including you), so I'd be happy to make dubbed copies this week and if one or all three of you wants to give it a go, I can send it off to ya. If that doesn't work out, I guess I could try following these instructions, but it may take me awhile.....

I played it again the day after I posted this thread and it's not quite as long as I remembered. One side of a tape...although some of that is people at the station talking after Frank left. It is fun, IMO. I'd also enjoy having the three acoustic songs on MP3 files by themselves, if that's do-able.

Go to Top of Page

LoafingOaf
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  14:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I don't mind sending to the Netherlands or France. As long as you will give it a go at making it available to everyone else on here. And you'd be doing me a favor, too, because I'd like to put it on a CD for my own collection.

Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  14:26:59  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn
Carl, is that an accurate and real quote?

Yes it is.
It happens when Adam (or Joe, can't remember) finds COR among his cd collection !
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  14:42:37  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There you go :

http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3UAOEVD0P5PSS13FY6AC7BHJUI

Edited by - The Holiday Son on 01/02/2006 14:46:17
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  14:43:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

From Vinyl Justice on the Adam And Joe show:

"Do you ever find yourself listening to your own music, Mr. Black?"

"Ah, y'know, uh, only when I'm masturbating."

haha, I wasn't refering to that, but ok, Frank is allowed to do a joke twice

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  15:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THS, you rule. LOL

Go to Top of Page

LoafingOaf
- FB Fan -

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  15:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fumanbru: "feel free to tell us more about it. frank stories can never be too long...."

Let's see....

Frank was in a jokester mood. My tape started when Frank and the host were singing "Beat on the Brat" by the Ramones. That's only for a few seconds and it sounds like I started the tape too late...but I got the tape recording pretty much where it began. Frank is telling the host he's only gonna play Ramones songs for her. Later on he says he's gonna play a Menudo song, and jokingly starts singing "I love Menudo."

They discuss his name change from Black Francis to Frank Black. Frank gives a statement about the "power of broadcast" to encourage people to donate money to the college station.

They talk about his original idea for the solo album, which was to do "big pop, four on the floor, in your face, four fingers the air" disco-style covers of songs by artists like the Kinks, Hendrix, and Husker Du. I take it "Hang On To Your Ego" is an example of what he had in mind.

When he's talking about the musicians who stopped by for the record, he mentions he poached Eric Feldman from Cleveland's Pere Ubu, and tells a story of how Dave Thomas (of Pere Ubu) jumped on him the other day in NYC because he poached his bandmate. He said it was a "great rock moment" if only you had been there, to see these two large-bodied singers making a scene, sumo wrestling in a hotel lobby.

He's still joking that he's only gonna play Ramones songs, starts to sing "Endless Vacation," and the host is believing him...but then launches into "I Heard Ramona Sing," which I'm sure you all know is about the Ramones. He talks about what he meant by the "pull a Menudo" line -- he had a vision of Joey Ramone singing his final song as he's lowered down into the stage, before his hand-picked successor who's apprenticed for him for a few years rises up from the stage to take his place...and maybe that person could be Frank Black. So the Ramones could go on forever.

Frank's asked what he'd have been if he wasn't a musician. He says he'd have gone into archeology, then tells of how once, in Arizona, he found a pearl embedded in the ribcage of an infant who was buried on top of another person. This was in the Shoofly village ruins. Later on, when the album "Pistolero" came out, the lyrics mention finding a pearl in the rib of a child born 800 years ago. So...there's a little insight into where those lyrics came from.

Next he played "Czar," and explains that the song is about John Denver, "who's written a few toe-tappers in his time." John Denver offered $10 million to both NASA and the Russians to try and get into space but was turned down. He also built a gas tank on his front yard during the oil crisis, which he got a little criticism for. Frank thinks he was an interesting guy as well as an accomplished pilot, and he gives him credit for trying to get into space.

While he's playing "Czar" he shows at one part that he learned a guitar trick from The Cars' Ric Ocasek.

After the song Frank jokes that he had trouble deciding between "tsar" or "czar."

The final song he plays is "Old Black Dawning." He explains how he and Eric Feldman visited Biosphere 2 in Arizona and had a great time, although he's neutral on the controversies of the project. That visit to Biospehere 2 inspired the song.

What else? Oh, Jim jones of Pere Ubu was with him (and uses an egg shaker thingie during "Old Black Dawning") and Frank mentions how Jim Jones taught him a special DADA-E guitar tuning with which he's been able to write many songs.

They played a couple tracks from the album, too. And, finally, Frank was asked to sign copies of his CD to give away to people who donated money to the station. Frank threatened to sign them all "Joe Blow." After he's gone, two DJs are looking at the CDs and are laughing over how he signed one "I am a star - Frank Black." The copy I got was signed "Rock - Frank Black." :)

There, that's probably more than you wanted to know, but that's most of the meat of the radio appearance..... :)

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  15:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoafingOaf

probably more than you wanted to know,

not by a long shot!

thanks!

Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  20:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LoafingOaf

I'd be more inclined to mail a copy of the tape to someone who knows what they're doing. I see there are three people here who say they can convert it (including you), so I'd be happy to make dubbed copies this week and if one or all three of you wants to give it a go, I can send it off to ya.
Ok, if you don't mind sending me a copy of your tape through mail, I'll do the files with no problem. I'm gonna send you a private message to give you my adress, if you're still ok. Once the tape received, it should not take very long!
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  22:04:51  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can also transfer the tape. And I live in Kansas. Not to take any credit from ruzom, but I know my step-dad could transfer it. Throw it up on soul seek even.

Pablo Picasso never got called an asshole.
Go to Top of Page

moro
- FB Fan -

Italy
192 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  00:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could this radio thing be the same as "Conversation and music with Frank Black"? That's a promo cd which I own, and I think it's around the same period, but I actually never listened to it. Well, I'll give it a listen during lunch time.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  05:19:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love this stories
more, more, more!

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  19:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not.

quote:
Originally posted by moro

Could this radio thing be the same as "Conversation and music with Frank Black"? That's a promo cd which I own, and I think it's around the same period, but I actually never listened to it. Well, I'll give it a listen during lunch time.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  17:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks i mr oaf!! can you email me a copy when you get it taken care of??? Thanks for your thoughtfulness and welcome to the board!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  05:51:34  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How could I miss this thread? Has something been done eventually with that tape?
The Menudo/Frank Ramone part is excellent, thanks.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Go to Top of Page

melvin
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  11:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google: "audacity"

It is a free program that will allow you to convert tapes to MP3 or wav. formats.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  12:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never saw this either, but I'm willing to convert it on behalf of the site. Did anything ever happen with this?

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  16:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll probably end up on i-tunes or e-pod or gigla-e-phonix. I want a God damned CD!! With artwork!!

Oh, cheese. Wonderful cheese. I love you.
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  03:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that Loafing Oaf didn't give news for a while but if he reappears, and that for a reason or another you couldn't do the recording, I still can take care of this!

Edited by - ruzom on 04/03/2006 03:35:30
Go to Top of Page

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  14:14:00  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He has Yahoo Messenger, maybe one of you lucky people with it can attempt to get in touch.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000