Ike Brock on FB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:11:36  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the Onion AV club:

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/45620/4

By Josh Modell
February 21st, 2006

The shuffler: Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse, who's currently at work on the follow-up to 2004's commercial breakthrough Good News For People Who Love Bad News. After shuffling, Brock revealed to The A.V. Club that he's been writing songs for the new record with former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr. We were shocked and delighted, too.

Frank Black, "The Vanishing Spies"

Isaac Brock: Not one of my favorite songs off that record, but it's not bad. His solo albums are kind of hit-or-miss. At first, I felt like it was kind of wanky in a weird way, and then after I listened to it, I was like, "This is fucking great." Most of the songs on Teenager Of The Year were pretty damn good, like that song "Headache." That's a fuckin' great song. Probably the reason I bought the record—actually, I was gonna buy the record whether there's any good songs on it or not. I fuckin' love that guy. I haven't bought the last couple he's done. I'm sure I will. I haven't really had time to be in a record store buying shit for a while, to be honest.

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ike brock sounds like a bit of a cock

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah he does.

www.stanridgway.com

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  17:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he does. but johnny marr he's a fave of mine. can't think of anything he's done since Electronic, which was pure heaven. Like to see marr and fb collaborate for that matter.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  19:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. I mean, I disagree strongly with "his solo albums are kind of hit-or-miss". And I'm doubtful he's heard anything after Cult of Ray. But he's entitled and it's not like he's really slamming.

That said, I can't stand Modest Mouse, except for Float On. Just can't get into the vocals.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  20:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it took me the longest time to get into modest mouse. now, i listen to them fairly regularly. same thing, brock's vocals really irritated me for the longest time. one of my buddies is totally into them so i kept on listening. then i really got into the moon and antartica. i saw a couple of interviews with brock and thought he was pretty funny. and i'm pretty sure he's mentioned that the pixies are a big influence.(like everybody else)

i saw them live and they fiddled around with their instruments for the longest time and that really annoyed the fans. but they did sound great live. some of my favorite songs by them are night on the sun, out of gas, pretty little sunset...

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  07:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the comment about Frank's solo albums being "kind of hit-or-miss" is fair. It took me a while to get into most of his solo stuff. It just takes time. But that's just me...

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  11:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be: BLACK LETTER DAYs - Hit
DEVIL'S WORKSHOP - miss
And for some I know it's the opposite.
It's cool to hit or miss instead of flipping three years beetween every album because as a pop star you're suppose to be great all the time...
Go to Top of Page

Team Zissou
- FB Fan -

South Africa
6 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  11:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Team Zissou's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every Modest Mouse album sounds the same so I guess Brock doesn't need to worry about hit or miss.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  12:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

he does. but johnny marr he's a fave of mine. can't think of anything he's done since Electronic, which was pure heaven. Like to see marr and fb collaborate for that matter.

Marr has a band called Johnny Marr and the Healers right now. They played a few Smiths' tunes with Andy Rourke at festival a couple months back. I think Johnny sang.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  13:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very cool thanks for the info Mickey. I will definately have to check it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000