New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just purchased a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable and I'm having a little bit of trouble setting it up, as I've never really had to set up a turntable before. I followed the instruction manual and did everything up to setting the counterweight. I set the counterweight the way it said, rotating the weight until the armtube balanced out. That worked fine and I got it to balance perfectly. I then adjusted the downforce to 17.5mN, which is what it said to do for the cartridge that came with it. The arm still balanced perfectly, so I checked the azimut, and to the best of my knowledge the needle is completely verticle to the record groove, so the next step is to adjust the antiskating force. This is where I ran into problems. It says for the factory fitted cartridge, which is what I have, to loop the thread for the antiskating weight around the third groove in the stub, which I did. I fed the thread through the loop of the wire support for the antiskating weight like it says andbent the wire support into the position it says. The antiskating weight is in place and everything, but the problem is, whenever I place the arm over a record, the antiskating weight causes the arm to immediately pull back to it's resting position, so it won't stay over a record. Now, if I readjust the counterweight to where the arm is no longer balanced but leans completely down, the arm will then stay over the record, but not if it is balanced. Is this what I'm supposed to do, or is it supposed to stay balanced, and if so, what am I doing wrong that causes the antiskating weight to pull the arm back like that?

ˇViva los Católicos!

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  09:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at photos of your turntable online. I have an old Technics turntable and the anti-skating mechanism is different than yours. I have had several other turntables and the adjustment on each was basically the same: 1) install the cartridge; 2) rotate the counterweight until the tone arm is suspended in a balanced state; 3) rotate the weight gauge (but not the weight itself) to zero; 4) rotate the weight AND weight gauge to the specified number; 5) turn the antiskating knob to the same specified number.

When you state "the arm still balanced perfectly" AFTER adjusting the downforce, are you saying that it did not go down to level of the platter?
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  11:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
4) rotate the weight AND weight gauge to the specified number

That might be the problem. I just rotated the gauge. I'll try rotating both after I set it to zero and see what happens.

quote:
When you state "the arm still balanced perfectly" AFTER adjusting the downforce, are you saying that it did not go down to level of the platter?

Well, I balanced it so that it stays suspended at about the level of the platter, so I guess it does go about to the level of the platter but remains balanced in the air without falling and resting on the platter.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  11:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, that counterweight should rotate and move forward when you make the adjustment.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  11:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I guess that was the problem. I was only turning the gauge when setting the downforce (which obviously, now that I think about it, doesn't change a thing), thinking that it should remain balanced after I set the downforce, but I guess it's only logical that when you increase the downforce, it won't be balanced anymore. Thanks for your help.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  13:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May you have many years of happy vinyling.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  10:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least you don't have ten turntables and a microphone. Now that'd be hard to set up.

"Yo! Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!"
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  16:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the needle on the record, put the needle on the record, put the needle on the record and the drum beat goes like this!

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  17:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

At least you don't have ten turntables and a microphone. Now that'd be hard to set up.

"Yo! Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!"

This stupid 4 year old joke made me laugh.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  13:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad this is resurrected. Next time I have to install a new cartridge, I will refer to my instructions.

Message boards were the lowest form of socializing until Twitter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000