Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:07:58  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apl thats amazing, I love it! It's so damned classy!
I like the idea of the halo around the Black as well

man oh man this site is going to be sexy when it's done...

did dean say you'd already made little bees too?

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/15/2005 20:24:36
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:27:02  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apl, do you think the border around the news box should maybe be thicker? Not seriously chunky but just a little to make it stand out a little?

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:36:11  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Who knows if it'll get an ok though, since it's not Honeycomb-themed. Sure, I can do that (thicker border), sounds good to me too. Be right back.

Should I try and do any forum design stuff or just leave that to you guys? You seem to have taken it pretty far already.

edit: 3/16 added one more version, with the text halo around black
1. a wider outline, plus an outer glow... 2. with a subtle halo to define the "black" text:

3. here w/just the outline...

The font is "Courier New" for the "What's New" title and "Courier Final Draft" for the list. They can easily be replaced with "Courier", which is a common font.

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/16/2005 07:25:45
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:53:36  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ooooh

(I'm sure it will get the ok) I think the whole theme is transitionary really because honeycomb artwork might be bright purple and floral! We just don't know!

and re: forum design stuff, I'm just crapping around and changing colours of things for ideas, I have no idea how to make little bees or make the forum-corner-banner look good so I'd say so!

besides we haven't heard if Dean doesn't hate what we've done yet... hehehe

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  21:14:21  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry, me again, last thing I'm going to add before we get some
before we get some feedback from the boss
(and I get some sleep)

the last mock I posted had the sub-header bar in peru, I left the
main bars in black to minimise the colour affrontal I think it looks
ok that way but I totally personally changed my mind about the peru
colour so here's one with darkgoldenrod which I think ties in nicer.
none of these have sepia tinting over the top because quite frankly
I don't know how, I think if it can be sepia-screened (?) the colours
won't actually look so bright. also, I think because these images are
small the frank black and the honeycomb look a lot yellower than they
do in paint and powerpoint, so yeah, last on
http://tinypic.com/28m5pv

and apl, again seriously impressed, I think I like the stand-outy
outer glow best, it's really very lovely!

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/17/2005 18:35:58
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  21:19:08  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
okie dokie. I will try some things as soon as I can. I have to go out of state soon for my youngest sister's Junior year ring ceremony. I get to get dressed up in "dressy church clothes" and hand her a ring, in one of my most hated places on earth, the Catholic girl's school I went to for one whole year. Then we have to go to "brunch" in our churchy clothes and with a bunch of prissy-pants snobbybritches <shudder>. Oh god. I must really love my sister, all I'm sayin.

and yes, the sword of Deanocles is still over us heheh where are ya Deaner? ;)

oops, missed your post. Likin the honeycomb action lady. I'll try to work in some sepia funk soon, see what we can do about that bright stuff. Get some sleep! (shit, or isn't it too late?)

<temporarily out of order>

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/15/2005 21:24:14
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  05:32:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, maybe I lied when I said I'd wait for the deanster to comment, I'm having far too much fun! site map in keeping with the above scheme
Pretty much changing the blues for browns (darkgoldenrod bar again and saddlebrown text) and putting the honeycomb to replace the stars and the frankblack yellowy version

http://tinypic.com/28o9q1

oh apl I hope your trip isn't too traumatic, catholic schools, eurgh

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/17/2005 18:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  05:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow I just had to peek in before heading off to work.... it looks amazing!!!!! :) I am in a little rush, so I don't have time to comment other than give your selfs a huge pat on the back!

Kitty, though i must say I love that pic of Frank welcoming everyone to the site! It fits perfectly!

Dean, hope you like it and let us know what you think!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/16/2005 06:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  06:34:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ooh, Jen (and of course Damien), that's gorgeous! I'm going to try to get that frontpage up in place of our existing one by tonight. I have to go back to page 7 and catch up, but geez that's awesome. What font is that? Hopefully something we can use on a website, cause it's perfect. The one on the left with the faded outline in particular is great.

As for colours, that's a little more yellow than I was thinking, though it actually looks pretty good, at least for the main header on the site. I think the forum will definitely have to be more neutral (dk. brown) than that, but it's looking groovy.

Good work, guys! I'm going to see what has to change coding wise etc to get that new pic up (probably won't be till later, just as a warning).

"Join the Cult of Frank / Seriously."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  08:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, I had a look at page 7 and though I did/do want to see it darker, it appears that 'brown' is as dark as it gets. I may look into seeing if I can do custom colours, but I'm pretty sure not. I was hoping for a cocoa or something to replace the black with a slightly brown-black colour. I'm worried about these lighter colours, though they look good, losing that "hard at work" feel.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  08:20:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's limiting the color choices Deaner? Are we talking strictly html-safe?
I was about to start working on finding a dark sepia-brown, but I'll wait til I know what's what.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  08:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The forum specifically allows you to choose from the colours listed (which I presume are limited to be HTML safe). I'll try and look at that today, too.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:00:17  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
using your colour list (please excuse this)
http://tinypic.com/28plc7

to my eye saddle-brown is the darkest of the brown http://tinypic.com/28pl02
http://tinypic.com/28plk1

which might still be too bright, but I personally don't thnk it's much brighter than the dark blue thats aready up, maybe keep the black boxes black as they are now would keep it more work friendly.

Do you think the combs and the FB look too yellow? These images are pretty condensed and I've whacked a lot of the honey combs on and for the previous ones a filled in FB which I think makes it look brighter, I only did that so it shows up. Did you get my e mail dean with the powerpoint? I think better spaced and fullscreen they look a lot more subtle. Again maybe "sepia tinting" if thats possible will minimise glare.

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/17/2005 18:37:57
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, I can use any colour I want, so feel free to play.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:28:33  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hell yeah! I like them apples.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hex RGB 33-1A-00 is about the colour I had in mind for the category banner. Tried it out and it looks gooood.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and this is a link to the existing background, to give you a better idea of the logo:

http://www.frankblack.net/images/table-bk.gif

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:55:49  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Hex RGB 33-1A-00 is about the colour I had in mind for the category banner. Tried it out and it looks gooood.
Sweet! Can we see?
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Oh, and this is a link to the existing background, to give you a better idea of the logo:
http://www.frankblack.net/images/table-bk.gif

I like the subtlety there -we just maybe need a softer toned-down color and a transparent layer effect (for the honeycomb etc)? Shouldn't be too difficult.

Are we all agreed on the lurvely design Tre and Daisy have come up with then?

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/16/2005 10:02:13
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:56:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, one thing with that image, Jen, I need the "Site"/"Forum" buttons.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:58:24  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, I'm on it, yo. ;)

bah! spelling, who needs it

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/16/2005 09:59:00
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the mails all, and for keeping me in this 'cool' loop you got going
Bout to read this thread and catch up on everything i've missed, been distracted the last couple of weeks with a certain someone

wow! these ideas and images i've so kindly been mailed and viewed are amazing (just had to mention that)

right, got me some reading to do....speak soon yeah
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  10:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apl, i have FBF scanned front and back if you still need all the images
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  11:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I like the general design, I'd like to see something a little more tileable (I think the existing design runs the risk of having a bunch of lines where it says "FB.Net") which was why I pointed to the existing one. It could be toned down a bit too, as you say.

But I like the idea and graphics lots.

I have no way to show you without changing the forum for everyone and it won't look good till we get the matching colours for everything else set. If we're on track for it and Dave's available, I may even bring down the forum/site and get this done on Sunday.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  14:03:10  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saved the colour, want me to make a mock of the filled in bars and mail it to you guys? it'd be no trouble

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  14:54:13  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll take this down in a minute but is this along the right tracks?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  15:05:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I definitely like the text split like that. Of course we'd lose the head and the spacing of the honeycomb patches would have to be more conducive to tiling, but the idea is spot on.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  15:15:51  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just plonked the honeycombs in the same place as the stars are. I'm just having a lot of fun fiddling with the colours at the moment
(even if they're of no use it breaks up this study crap well)

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  16:06:10  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I'll leave these up for a short while, while I make a cup of tea and be social for a little bit. It's a shame more people aren't commenting really.

I think you picked a good brown there Dean, it's really lovely, are you going to use it to replace all the black boxes? what about the blue boxes? (borders.. you know what I mean)

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  16:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know, the blue ones might be just a more traditional brown or maybe something else altogether. That much I hadn't decided on yet, but I'm open to suggestions as always.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  17:07:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am here!!! Right now I am watching my team play in the NIT.

It looks great. I really like how this is coming together.
[edit]

Hey Dean, I didn't realize you were around. Would it help if I came up with a more tile-like background?

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/16/2005 17:10:19
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  17:23:02  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote

got a pp to send you as well daisy, did you get the last one?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  17:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure thing, K, if you'd like.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  18:05:21  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
attempt #2

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  18:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

attempt #2

Cool Kitty, you know what, with fresh eyes I went back to that lovely ppt. exhibit you sent last night....I think I do tend to favor sienna over saddle brown. It just seems a tad bit lighter and warmer, but definately is a nice dark color to anchor everything.

Apl!! Thanks for your work on the "Splash." I think it looks great. I know things are really hectic right now and I gotta say your help is much appricated. I think the second one is my favorite.

Sorry you have to go to that thing with your sister! It's going to mean so much to her!

Cool Dean...so I am guessing you are just kinda picturing the whole background as a big honeycomb?

I might do a few versions, one solid, some with some missing and one with some missing filled with "honey". Does that sound ok?

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/16/2005 18:31:15
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  18:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ohh kitty i love that... is it too much trouble to ask you to drop the logo to the lower right corner? Maybe that will balance out the bee?

Edit: Also can we try the FB letters in a saddle brown/sienna to match the color scheme?

Thank you you wonderful art goddess!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/16/2005 18:14:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000