Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  17:59:58  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Here's what I came up with today... inspired by Tre... it looks like we have a lot of great ideas, we just need to narrow them down.

Here's the link... here I was helping to spur some discussion as far as colors, textures (if any) and fonts

http://daisygirlmn.tripod.com/id8.html

Please right click and save and open as a power point file. If you jsut click and download, you will get Garbage...

I know I'm no PowerPoint wizard,, but am I doing something wrong? All I can see is a single slide that says "FB.net Website Design" and an empty text box beneath it.

Am I missing something?

<temporarily out of order>
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and thank you FBC for the FBF cover scan. I was actually hoping for scans of the inside and back - can you or anyone else help? Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  18:08:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to make that work either

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  18:29:32  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, like what elevator lady suggested with the honeycomb background, another crappy mock up:

http://tinypic.com/28496g

the honeycomb image I (stole) used was this:

http://tinypic.com/2849ch

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/15/2005 20:33:08
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  18:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, that honeycomb pattern looks right on! Subtle,
sleek.

Can we call that a definite keeper?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  19:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not bad work for someone who claims to use Paint and have no artistic ability. Neither are quite production ready, but both look pretty good I think.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Seriously."
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  19:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had no problem getting the Powerpoint open. What are you doing exactly?

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  19:45:18  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know about starmekitten, but I opened it too. There was nothing there but what I mentioned. I guess I expected something...my bad.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  19:48:54  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saved it to my desktop, opened it in power point and got a black
screen with several "false links" at the top

(and paint I promise you, cross my heart, I'm a scientist
we don't do so good on the fancy pictures, especially not
on our archaic pc's)

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  20:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh heh, don't get defensive on me Jen, I just asked how you were opening it so I could help.

I think the problem you're having is it's html and not ppt?

I put a copy here that hopefully you can open easier:
http://www.katsiris.com/frankblacknetcolorstexturesandgraphics.ppt

I'm not sure that there anything here we'd use, but maybe it gets the juices flowing some more which I think is what Kathleen (and Tre) have been trying to do as well.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  20:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, to give you an idea of the colours I can use when playing with the forum:

http://www.katsiris.com/colours.htm

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  20:21:08  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, think of me as a muse (...ing haha)
need to sleep some more

saddlebrown is the coolest name for a colour I ever
saw
I also think sienna, peru and all the goldenrods fit nice

Thanks for that Dean, I wasn't getting anything from Daisys link
Just the blank page, and I do hope the things I do are helpfull if
only for people to know what they don't want.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  20:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow you guys never cease to amaze me!! Thanks again so much for your help.

I really enjoy the Honeycomb background Tre.

Do we all agree that we want to go with a background similar to what Tre has in her second mock up. The shading looks great, a little more subtile than the first version. Also, it seems like we all agree with the spash in the top left corner!

So unless there are objections, let's go with those.

Thanks for posting the colors Dean.

Here are a few questions, Dean who will we be able to check how the colors look on the web site??

In terms of colors I am thinking chocolate would fit with what we're looking for what do you guys think.

As far as the ppt slides I posted, it's pretty much a moot point now since we have so much better stuff :) But you just right click to download and be sure to save it as a power point slide. I checked and it worked for me... but that doesn't mean you guys wouldn't be able to do it.

I guess from here once we've reached agreement on the background and the spash.

Maybe we can talk color.

If we get that nailed down before I get back tomorrow...

Let's talk the graphic on the main page: frankblack.net. I am thinking maybe we could look into if it's ok to use FBC's FrankBlackFrancis version that says FrankBlack.net

Then the only other big thing to decide are if we want to continue to have a different spash on the non forum pages.

Thanks again for your help.... keep the ideas flowing!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  21:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the FBF turned FB.net that Damien did, but I don't think we could use it for a splash since there's nowhere to put text. On the main page I'm not sure where it would go?

The colours for the website will probably have to be either myself or Dave, that's a bit much to offload and I'm not sure we could even if we wanted to. If someone has a picture in their mind of how it might look using some of those colours/the FBF pic etc then I suppose that would simplify things a bit for us and make it easier to see what the main page as a whole might look like. As for the forum, all I basically need is to know the motif, the top left banner, and a few icons to replace the kitties. We have that cute bee that (Jen?) someone designed and I guess we'd need it in a few different colours.

As for the banner: I don't hate it, I kinda' like it, but I'd like to see other ones too. Or certainly playing with the font there a bit (I'm not a fan of that one particularly).

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  21:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks COF...

I was thinking Damien's image might go where the FB&The C's picture is now when you enter the site. It might be a good way to update the image, reinforce that FrankBlackFrancis is out and might go better with the neq graphics.

Ok, one last thing before we sign off on the background. Tre I was wondering could you provide us with another example of the mock up, this time with the Honeycombs in a subtle honey color? Thanks.

Per COF suggestion, lets spend some more time developing a spash before we move on... any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

As far as the bees go, I think that's a cute idea and ties nicely with the theme, but let's focus on getting the bigger pieces nailed down first.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/14/2005 21:44:20
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  03:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you kitten, that's almost exactly how I imagined it! So obviously I like it ;-)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  08:48:25  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Heh heh, don't get defensive on me Jen, I just asked how you were opening it so I could help.

I think the problem you're having is it's html and not ppt?

hahah, I wasn't. I was just really confused, because I had renamed and opened the ppt file and it's just got what I said earlier (1 slide with the "FBnet Design..." title box and an empty text box beneath it), pretty much nothing. I'm thinking that perhaps Daisy may have had an older version of the file at that link when I dled it. Thanks anyway. :)

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/15/2005 09:44:13
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  09:03:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we somehow retain the honeycomb pattern?
I find that subtle and graceful.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  09:52:45  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://tinypic.com/289nr5

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/15/2005 20:32:12
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:32:56  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lovely!! but maybe some more greenish hue in that brown, a little more sepia, toned-down? I'l see what I can do in the next few days since I've got Photoshop and all. I'm not sure I'll be able to do any better than the great stuff you guys have been coming up with, but I'll try.

I'm still hoping someone can send me some scans of the inside/back cover art from FBF. Anyone? *Pretty please*? :)

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:35:55  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've e mailed you all a pp with a few changes of colour instead
of that brown, I used the colours from the link dean put up

did you get it? did anyone get it?

and apl, you're fabulous and I'm sure it'll be a bajillion times
better than my 'paint' jiggery!

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/15/2005 11:37:13
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  11:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely I say. Keep up the good work.

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  12:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it and I love it but I can't help Apl because my computer
is rightly called Fred Flintstone.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  17:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, if anyone wants to see the power point file(s) that I made, just email me and I can send the file to you.

Kathryn I agree the Honeycomb image is really nice. Last night I searched for a few hours and couldn't find a decent free honeycomb image similar to Tre's. I sent out a flie last night of some honeycomb patterns... is anyone so inclined to help us out and design a honeycomb of our own?

Here are some comments in response to Tre's Power point slide she sent out today:

I will pretty much post the same thing on fb.net but I share your thoughts about the Peru color. I do think it fits nicely with the graphics and is subtle. My second fave is the dark golden rod.

Honestly, I don't know if it's my screen or what but I couldn't see the honeycombs on the Power point document. Maybe we can make them a little darker. I did like the amount/size you had before. But I am sure I will like the new version when I can see it.

Another thought is maybe in the center, under where the forum chat pages go, we can fill in some of the holes to say FrankBlack.net. That way, when the pages are loading, you can see it reinforce the site branding. Somewhat like what we have now with the FrankBlack.net logo.

Also I do think you are on the right track with changing the color of the font. I do think it really helps keep every thing looking nice and in the same color scheme.

Finally, I agree that I think the LOGOUT/LOGIN button should match the task bar as well.

Thanks everyone! Tre thank you again for another round of yummy ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  17:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, if anyone wants to see the power point file(s) that I made, just email me and I can send the file to you.

Kathryn I agree the Honeycomb image is really nice. Last night I searched for a few hours and couldn't find a decent free honeycomb image similar to Tre's. I sent out a flie last night of some honeycomb patterns... is anyone so inclined to help us out and design a honeycomb of our own?

Here are some comments in response to Tre's Power point slide she sent out today:

I will pretty much post the same thing on fb.net but I share your thoughts about the Peru color. I do think it fits nicely with the graphics and is subtle. My second fave is the dark golden rod.

Honestly, I don't know if it's my screen or what but I couldn't see the honeycombs on the Power point document. Maybe we can make them a little darker. I did like the amount/size you had before. But I am sure I will like the new version when I can see it.

Another thought is maybe in the center, under where the forum chat pages go, we can fill in some of the holes to say FrankBlack.net. That way, when the pages are loading, you can see it reinforce the site branding. Somewhat like what we have now with the FrankBlack.net logo.

Also I do think you are on the right track with changing the color of the font. I do think it really helps keep every thing looking nice and in the same color scheme.

Finally, I agree that I think the LOGOUT/LOGIN button should match the task bar as well.

Thanks everyone! Tre thank you again for another round of yummy ideas.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  17:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know what, I am dabbling in power point right now and am making some original honeycomb designs...!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  18:26:15  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://tinypic.com/28l0k2

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/17/2005 18:39:36
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kitty... you are so good at this !!!!! Merci Buckets!!!

Ok... i just emaild you some of the slides. And as you can see, Kitty has already gotten a concept out of it!!

I was able to do the cool thing with putting Frank Black.net in the Honeycomb cells....

Please email me if you want to see a copy!

Thanks again Kitty! Hope you are feeling better, too!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:50:34  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I e mailed you another just, I think they appear better in a slide show rather than just the slide on it's own.

The top one is peru
the middle one is darkgoldenrod
the last one is saddlebrown

and the pale box at the bottom is the lightgoldenyellow
used for the honeycomb and the frank black.net

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/15/2005 20:29:49
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:51:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, this is just a start, but how do you guys feel about this for the splash page?
I was thinking the "Black" text should have a subtle halo around it, just to help it stand out just a little from the background -not enough to be noticed but just define it.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sending the email!! Right now I am sending a huge file on dialup!! So I might not be able to check it right away :)

Thanks Apl. I really like it. I think it looks great. I agree with your suggestion that a subtle halo around "black" will help make it more discerable (sp)? from the background.

Were you thinking that FBC's image would be full screen. Or would it have a background like it does now?

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/15/2005 19:58:49
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:57:20  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Daisy. It's the same size as the image that exists there currently, with a plain white background, is my thinking anyway. Just nice and clean.

There's the second FBF album image we can work with too, if anyone is interested in these anyway. I really was wanting to do this one, so I did it anyway just in case people like it. If it doesn't go anywhere I won't be offended. :)

Edited by - apl4eris on 03/15/2005 20:02:07
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Thanks Daisy. It's the same size as the image that exists there currently, with a plain white background, is my thinking anyway. Just nice and clean.

I agree... we definately don't want to do the honeycombs here.

I could see white or maybe a soild color that we are using in the navigation bars to tie it together?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

I e mailed you another just, I think they appear better in a slide show rather than just the slide on it's own.

Thanks so much Kitty!! I expect due to the size of the download I won't be able to check it out until after work tomorrow.

Thanks for putting all the colors on there. It's such a big help!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  20:07:00  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no worries! this might help a little

http://tinypic.com/28lfsj

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/17/2005 18:44:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000