Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
_ON_ topic, I think I like the blue text better, the brown is a bit much. Thoughts? Let's just play with that blue folder a bit. Maybe not quite so dark... (sorry).

"Join the Cult of Frank / Woo-bee-boo-dee-boo-dee-doo-weeoou."
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Dean, back off topic...Steve, we've had pages to offer our ideas and help.

It's just seems to make it harder to decide when people start to chip in their own thoughts of both approval and disapproval at the very moment this things near completion. Too late in my opinion. Where were you when this thing was a work in progress? couyld have done with advice then. But since CoF asked for help on this, less than 10 members stood up to contribute.
i guess it's easier to knock the end product than to help in it's conception.
I couldn't get your link to work, but i trust you have some decent ideas. it's a shame it's like 5 pages too late.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/31/2005 11:34:39
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is near completion? to me this whole thread has been a run of ideas, none firmly decided and none definitely agreed on. there are still several ideas of the same thing, and different artists seem to battling for different things. for example, we've seen a "combo 1" and a "combo 2" why can't something like that be voted on? meh.

for your information i've been following this thread for a while (i liked your banner, remember), but i'm alarmed we've suddenly gone for brown, that's all. as far as me helping in its conception, i have had a mess at creating banners and such, but nothing good enough to show. does that mean my opinion isn't valid?

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dear god, i agree with pixiesteve. not that any of this matters now, but i never chirped in before this because i loved the direction you guys were headed and i have absolutely no artistic ability (i.e. nothing to contribute), but this new green/brown flowery thing just doesn't do it for me at all. it looks very, i don't know, two dimensional. i thought apl, fbc and tre's earlier stuff was much more interesting.

so there you have it, my two cents on a topic that's already closed.

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<ahem> Quoting myself from page 5 (yes, 10 pages ago):
quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the badge thread or where you want to use that?

I definitely want a new background, but I don't want it to be too dark. I was thinking a yellow/brown or gold, very subtle. My main concern about doing a honeycomb theme is that I don't want it to look cartoony here, I still want it to look like a nice simple forum, as it does now, except with a tint, you know? Instead of a black (for where it says Quick Reply, for example), maybe a very dark brown.

As for image sizes, we'd basically be replacing existing ones, so just right click on anything and go properties, and it'll show you.

For example, the kitties are 15x15.

Yes, this is quite near completion. And even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter. Did you have any input in the original design? No. Nor did I. You still use it.

If I had unilaterally asked Jen or Damien to do something and all of a sudden sprung it on you, there would've been some who liked it and some who don't as there are some who like our current one and some who don't. If we have a vote, there will be some who like it and some who don't. The difference is this has not been behind the scenes and has all been very open. So instead of a vote, it's been open to shaping. The results are superior to a closed-door effort. And there ARE results because there is direction instead of a bunch of people saying "yes, this is good" "no, that's good" and having no direction.

Again. This is not up for discussion. Just because I've opened the doors to public opinion does NOT mean there needs to be or is going to be a vote. I'm not changing my mind. Your opinion is valid but might've been helpful, as FBC said, 10 pages ago. Now it's just distracting since we've already moved in this direction and would only further delay things. I'm on a timeline here, and believe it or not, don't want to dedicate my life to an art redesign which is relatively benign.

"Oh dear / I seem to have joined the Cult of Frank."
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey, was just about to add this: sorry if i seemed a little harsh, or narky (me?narky?never)
i'm glad we getting feedback but i don't know if it will help anymore. a theme seems to be set and running at full steam. no turning back now, i reckon.

think i got a little pissed with AD having an idea labelled lame. no need for that.
then another member suddenly offering advice left right and centre.
then some more.
i just wished our design team was bigger from the beginning so we had a big pot to blend all our ideas together...
...oooh, did someone say pot?! best go

and your opinions valid, of course it is.
just not here <insert smiley face>

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/31/2005 11:54:38
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i can clearly see both sides of this issue. i clearly, came into the game later than most, and for that i apologize. i have been fighting off 2 illnesses for the better part of 2 weeks, and work a full job, run a small label, have a girlfriend and try to write songs. so there are some things i wish to participate in forum-wise that i can't. and this was one of them. things at work have slowed down and i have started to put in a little input. so for those who have been working dilligently since the beginning, i assume that my posting for the last 3 or 4 pages has seemed too little too late, and for that i apologize.

on the other hand, i suppose that everyone here uses the forum, and since it is not an 'official' site, we feel that we have control of its direction. and this is really the first design change (minus the banner and the kitties i believe) since the forum opened up, and certainly the first with such heavy user-input, that i could see why people would be concerned with the new images. however, someone has to make the decisions, and i think that dean and dave are those people (and for those who may think otherwise, despite being a moderator, i have NOT recieved one piece of contact asking for my opinion - so i'm not fighting for my own cause here). dean and dave keep the place running smoothly, and put in the most time here, so it is only fair that it is their final decision.

we could all throw in the "if i were in charge" arguments and argue the merits of a vote, but the (sad if you're not on the same side) reality is that someone needs to be in charge and its not you or me. its dean and dave, and they do a helluva job. would i like there to be a forum wide vote? perhaps, but that is neither here nor there. it is not my decision, nor yours. so we'll deal. but i hope that the unhappy parties agree that the people who have made the designs have done a great job and even if your (or my) preference does not make it to the forum, that we are appreciative of their help. and i also want to say "thank you" from the mod side for everyone's passionate feelings on the forum. it makes the sometimes tedious/annoying parts of the 'job' more worthwhile knowing how much people care about this place.

plus when it comes down to it, does the design really matter that much? we'll all still post here just as much! so i think the best thing for us all to do is just calm down and realize that the look of the site really doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, and if you're unhappy with it, you always have the choice to walk, or to continue to post. i've already made my decision.

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  12:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What brian said. Agreed.

And SORRY All. through my paranoia and last few posts, i feel all i've done is stirrred things a little. my words on screen don't always read how i mean them to sound, and in fear of causing anger, which is never intended, my job here is done. Just wanted to say...

...it's been a blast.
this thread? now that's fucking teamwork!
Good job everyone. so can't wait to see the end result.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  16:58:45  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
brighter sort of, lighter still? maybe back to the original blue you think hehe

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about full size pictures?

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:07:58  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how about you host them then, and make them, give it a go

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
send them to my email in my profile if you want me to host. i wasn't getting at you, it's just easier to get a feel of what they're like when they're bigger

lolzabad

Edited by - PixieSteve on 03/31/2005 17:19:13
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:24:28  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to host them through tinypic which shrinks them down, I tend to e mail them around as full size if people ask for them. I don't fuss about posting them smaller here because I think it gives the idea without stretching the page to buggery. I'll mail them to you Steve if you want me to.

I got to say I'm hoping someone hurrys up and makes a decision on this because the whole thing is getting to be a total fucking downer at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, as Spoon says, don't let it get you down. It looks good and there are always going to be a few who don't like it or like something else better, but trust me it will look good.

Yeah, I know I'm kind of back-tracking on the folder colour, but that one's just a little too dark don't you think?

As far as decisions go, I think what you have there is pretty damned close. I just need all the folder icons in that same orange and we need to figure out which blue. I wanted to wait and do the whole site at once but we're still missing some stuff for that front page. Kathleen, sorry to do this to you again, but where are we as far as the rest of the site/the todo list? If need be, as long as I have all the forum stuff set, I may do the forum and splash page first and then work out the site after that. I just have so much shit to do before I leave for overseas and this is gnawing at me.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Active Duck

Here is a less awkward looking guitar.

Active Duck :) all your stuff rocks!!! I definately agree with all of Dean's comments and can't wait to see what this looks like.

One request (hopefully it is small). Can we flip the gutair over 180 degrees--so the small pointy side of the gutiar is facing up? Frank plays right handed right? So then it will look right handed?

Also think that shift with the small point might be a cool way to point out into space... sorry I don't know the real design lingo for that.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dean, sorry you had a crappy day. (You too Brian get feeling better hon). I can join that elite club of crappy day havers too :)

Just was wondering about the time line. I know we are so close. But I know you wanted to get the new designs up this weekend too.

I think we're doing the best we can but we might not make it this weekend. I am feeling good about next weekend... is that shared with you guys Tre, FBC and Active Duck??

Thanks everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the whole thing goes about voting contributions, two weeks ago I posted in the General Chat section for people to come here and check it out. It was good because we got a little more participation.

We have a tight deadline to meet-- this weekend.

Therefore, we can only take constructive comments about the elements moving forward. We will not go back and revisit items that we have agreed to and have moved on from that point.

For those who didn't participate, Dean has mentioned that the site will be updated in the future and you are all welcome to particpate fully at that time.

Since we want to keep this topic focsed on design and not by going off topic-- please send those comments to myself and I will be happy to address your concerns off line!

PS. Pixie Steve-- with your graphic artwork talent.... I will be calling on you personally to help next time around! Please feel free to comment on our ideas moving forward. Thanks for donating space for us to check stuff out too!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/31/2005 17:46:45
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know we might not make it this weekend, I don't want anyone to feel pressured. I just feel pressured myself I guess. I'd like to have the forum stuff solidified by this weekend for sure, the main site hopefully next week. I'd like to have it for the chat next weekend. But let's not get worried about it, this is still supposed to be fun for you guys! As long as I can get it up before I leave, that's the main thing.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Thanks for the info...

We will all do what we can to hit those deadlines. At the very minimum, let's make sure we get the forum page done by Sunday morning.

You're right... it would be cool to have it up by the chat next weekend for sure...

Team... please feel free to use me as a resource to help get things done... please let me know if there is anything I can help to get this done.

Go Team

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/31/2005 17:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  17:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK here's the best for last...thanks Miss Kitty. You're mock ups bring it all to life!! Georgous you are!!!

Logo: OK... sorry to flip flop on this... but I am now starting to like the logo with the flowers and the gutair. It didn't look busy as I thought it would. I did like the richness vs. the gutair only version that was maybe "too" simple. (As I mentioned before, can we rotate the gutair 180 degrees so the small pointy part of the base is facing up)

Background: I couldn't tell the different between the sepia or blue backgrounds-- they looked the same to me. In my mind's eye, the blue might be nice to add a contrast and provide some depth... but I also like the sepia background too.

Logout: Natural gutair wood like handle (Center Option from a few pages back)

Naviagation Bars:
Keep as is in dark brown

Folder Colors:
Light Blue as shown for unread.(I do like this much better vs. the darker blue folders because it contrasts with the dark brown and the other fonts that we might have on the page that might be dark blue) The natural color of folder (top left corner--Newest option)

Font Colors for links: I like what I see.... it looks like you are keeping very much with the same theme... looks like it is a dark blue for the links. Since this is so close to what we have, I reccomend keeping with the same font. *update* sorry Tre, I couldn't tell the difference of what the virgin and used links are to look like. But based on the way you're describing it.... I really like what I see.

Thanks again everyone for your hard work!!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  18:04:33  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, here goes:

edit sorry, made folders bigger so they were easier to see at this size

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/31/2005 18:10:00
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  18:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooh me likie!! thanks tre!!! it's so cool....

now if we can only see if we can get that gutair flipped, where the neck is still pointing in the same direction.... but that pointy part of the base is pointing up-- so it's it creates a more positive feel.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  18:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i tried that daisy, it just makes it look upside down. (remember, the pointy bit is meant to be on the underside). just think of it as a right handed guitar as viewed from behind.

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  18:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pixie Steve :) I guess the only one who might be able to do it is Active Duck.

But this isn't worth holding stuff up either. I do like how you see it-- that it is right handed, just from the players perspecitive good thinking.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did what I could gang, but Photoshop is not my tool de force.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:20:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, now the whole thing looks backwards in some weird sort of way. Like you're the one playing it. D'oh.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry guys... I guess my mind's eye needs some serious contacts or something. The original looks way better.

Sorry... I say we go with the design Tre just posted
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And now I read more and realize that it doesn't really matter at all. Fine. :)

Oh, and I think that's a pretty good blue Tre, dahling.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no it did matter until you posted. i was all reved up for a gutair that looks ackward. you saved me from a very big mistake dean!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the forum members thank you too...

(I can hear them now... in my mind's ear... it probably needs a hearing aid too or something)
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:48:04  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so, as it stands for the forum, we need:

• folders (I can't really do that, for some reason they don't save "true" when I try to do it, I think paint is just uber shit) example of when I was messing...

• far away ok, close up, fucking mess (think monet)(but crap)
  • need orange folders including locked, sticky and archive

• need to decide on some colours for those blues, brighter than the nailvarnish but lighter than the dark ones

• bees, no progress there, again I have tried fiddling and again, super mess.

• We're decided (as far as I can tell) on:

• not changing the font colour at all

• photo headstock log in & log out (do we have both?)

• background as active ducks

• the two tone brown borders

• ambiguous points:

• banner, likely candidate at this stage guitar and flowers?

• peripherals - go to arrows and all that jazz, won't need altering if font and folders stay blue

• are we covered?

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:51:45  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    bloody hell people, I write an essay and it all goes to pot while I'm busy.

dahling? you been drinking?

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/31/2005 19:52:08
    Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
    5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks Tre for capturing all that.

Dean/Brian... since it looks like the bees have the most work left to replace the kitties... what would be your thoughts of updating the page in the next week except for the bees.

The thought would be to replace the kitties the day of or a few days prior to the Honeycomb release.... this might pardon the pun add a little bit to all the "buzz" around the album.

Just a thought
    Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
    5305 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  19:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by starmekitten

bloody hell people, I write an essay and it all goes to pot while I'm busy.

dahling? you been drinking?

The secret is we can't live with out you Tre!! I guess that isn't a secret

By the way Dean, I like your new sig. It's funny but I can totally see C3PO saying that.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/31/2005 19:59:51
    Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  20:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Hahaha, buzz. Baddum-psh!

Nah, we gotta' get those bees up when we transition. If it's not this weekend, that's fine. Maybe we should just try for next Saturday for everything? Will that be enough? Dave & I are going to play with a bit of stuff tonight (presuming he didn't feel slighted by my ditching him temporarily for a phone call), but probably not anything supremely noticeable.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  20:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Tre, can you get me those beehive and circle icons you used for some of the mockups on page 9?

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    -= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000