Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  12:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damien, I'm not really sure. Cartoony might not be the right word. Maybe it just doesn't fit in there as nicely as the flower. What if we blew up the guitar silhouette a bit more, coloured it that lighter brown you used for the flowers, and used it in a background instead of fitting it into that corner?

At the moment, I'm still leaning towards the flower, but let's see if we can come up with something. And by we I mean you. :) Thanks for your patience.

Tre, in your next mockup, can those brown folders go back to yellow as it'll be easier to see how the guitar fits coloured/photo vs solid. I remain fenced on that one.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Woo-bee-boo-dee-boo-dee-doo-weeoou."
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  12:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm thinking we only need one guitar on this page.
most of us here know he's a musician, so just a hint of his tele somewhere i think is just right.
whether it be for the log in buttons or on the banner. i'm sure you'll decide.

Sorry if this has been covered, i forget, but do we have a colour for user names within threads. The blue at the moment is perfect and on a basic graphic level, eye catching, making you wanna click on it to see the users details. I notice too, mine is slightly darker shade because i'm logged in as me, obviously.
Do we want a different shade brown for the thread titles too because all the text on the page looks the same colour?
Again, if you've discussed this and i've missed it, oops! apologies
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  12:37:00  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll change the folders and I'll post the blue text, I think the blue looks odd with the rest of the scheme though which is why I've changed the font in all of the mock ups to the two shades of brown.

Do yu want the purple folders changed as well dean?

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  12:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you can. That nailpolish blue for purple and the other folders same as always. I don't imagine we'd keep the dark blue link colours, but I suppose you could try to make it stand out more from the scheme as per Mr. FBC's suggestion. Personally I was fine with the look of what you had, but hell, we're experimenting anyway...

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  13:07:21  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sure sure sure, will make a wee range for comparison, here's a thought though, instead of keeping the yellow folders how about trying to tie it in with the quitar head by taking colours out of it, if you see what I mean, I tried (oh please forgive this)

with colours from

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  17:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone!! Wow another great day of progress. I know Dean is wanting to get this stuff put online in a few days, so hopefully we can get Dean everything he wants by Friday? Does that work for everyone??

Please speak up now if for some reason you don't see us being able to meet our deadline.

As far as the banner goes, I think the version without flowers and with the gutair is nice. As a second choice, I would go with the plain banner with no gutair or flowers. Something about not having the flowers provides a nice contrast. I think we're trying for simple and having flowers as the bacground and the corner graphic to me seems a little distracting. Just a thought.

As far as the LOGIN gutair goes, I really like the more natural toned one like Tre posted. I also like the folders she posted and to her point, they do cordinate well.

Thanks again for all your help!!!!! :) I will be popping in and out tonite... so hopefully the discussion will continue.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/30/2005 17:20:12
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  19:18:57  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that was active duck with the neutral ones.

Right, this is what we have in a mish mash form, tell me what you want to see added, removed.. changed.. whatever and I shall do the deed.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  19:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tre...(some day I think I will quit saying that but you amaze me every time.

If people can use the format below when responding to the final design, that will make things easer.

Here are my thoughts:
Logo: The gutair logo with no flowers (left most second image from top)
Background: Keep as is
Logout: Natural gutair handle (Center Option)
Naviagation Bars: Keep as is in dark brown
Folder Colors: Light Blue as shown for unread. The natural color of folder (top left corner--Newest option)
Font Colors for links: I like what I see.... it looks like you are keeping very much with the same theme... looks like it is a dark blue for the links. Since this is so close to what we have, I reccomend keeping the fonts the way it is.

Thanks again Tre!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/30/2005 19:47:31
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  19:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tre... I think I am going to check out for now... see you in about 20 hours or so! Thanks again to everyone-- FBC, Active Duck and Tre for helping!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  19:51:13  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no worries, I'll try and make up some with all variables to cover all factions if I don't fall asleep at the computer before hand

mmmm sleeeep

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  22:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to weigh in yet because when I do it'll be more or less the final decision, so feel free to make your opinions known.

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  00:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

but I suppose you could try to make it stand out more from the scheme as per Mr. FBC's suggestion. Personally I was fine with the look of what you had, but hell, we're experimenting anyway...

i liked the way it looked, just that i noticed how we use different colours for different text around here, and whether or not we remembered to look into it. it is quite a fussy suggestion and probably doesn't make much difference.
and again, from what i'm seeing, whichever way you go, sure it will look sweet.

looking at this thread title, prettier it will be.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/31/2005 00:37:57
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  04:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda like Daisy's idea about making the folders the same colour as the photo "log in". If you want to keep the photo, there has to be something in that same colour somewhere on the page, otherwise it looks a bit out of place.
And I'm no graphic designer, but the more I look at the guitar banner, the more I dislike it. I mean, it's a guitar that has to be awkwardly leaned over on one side to fit inside the borders of the logo and the neck still sticks out a bit... I'm sorry to whoever designed it (can't remember at the moment), but don't you think that's a bit lame? I'm not one to lecture, but seeing what you've done so far I think you can do much better than that.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  04:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. You're right that is totally lame!
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  05:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Active Duck (I see now it's yours) for sounding so harsh, I was just trying te ephasize my point... Maybe I over did it.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  05:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to be sorry. It's good to get some more views in here.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  05:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a less awkward looking guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  06:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damien, could you try it that colour but maybe enlarge the guitar and flip it so that it's mostly behind the text and with the headstock in the blank space? Probably part of the bottom of the guitar would be cut off but I think it might look less awkward. Otherwise I'm definitely leaning to the flower.

I actually liked the one with the flowers and guitar too, just to be a lone wolf here. But it's not my favourite at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can i ask a seemingly obvious question - is dean the final word on this, will there be a vote, is dave noisy invovled? just checking...

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:32:33  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave & I both look at this, and both of us will be doing the work getting the new artwork up in place of the old since I don't have upload access to the site. There's no vote. Nowhere was it stated that there'd be a vote. The democratic process is the creation/progression that has occurred naturally, through both the artists' creations and opinions posted by those interested enough to either take part of comment passively.

Neither Dave nor myself is going to put up something we don't like as the new website look, and why would we? BUT, it's not like I'm not open to comment/criticisms on what we've got (a la my consideration/attempts to include or rework the guitar so that I _DO_ like it though it is not my personal preference) and I'm certainly persuaded by what constitutes majority opinion here (about five people expressing preferences), but at the end of the day, someone needs to call the shots.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  07:53:17  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just curious. thanks for the clarification

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  08:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry that came off defensive, bad morning.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  08:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
understood deaner - on the bus this morning some guy tried to talk to me for 25 minutes about how the guy next to him was an asshole for falling asleep on the way to work. not the best way to start off a day. plus i'm sick again. blah.

back on topic - totally stolen from daisy:

Here are my thoughts:
Logo: The gutair logo with flowers
Background: Keep as is
Logout: 'fake' guitar
Naviagation Bars: dark brown
Folder Colors: i like the 'natural' color for unread posts, with a darker brown for the active ones - the blue clashes a little to my eyes
Font Colors for links: as previously stated, the blue (for me) is a bit unmatched. perhaps go with more earth tones/variations on brown/tan

all being said though, even with the little gripes here and there, it is a real improvement and i thank everyone for putting so much time into this (even if i do miss apl's typewriter theme!)

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  08:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping we can use the typewriter thing with the portals to the song/lyrics db. Cause I did like them too.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  08:58:40  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
righty ho, I'm in a good mood, I can run up those two for you toot sweet, any other requests while I'm cheery.
It won't last.

Brian, do you mean the yellowy or the orangy folders?
FBC, it might not have come accross at this size but I did use two shades for the font, the light brown and the dark brown for links both virgin and used. I do think that blue looks out of place with the theme.
I also like the flowers and guitar together, I kinda dug that.

now also, due to financial woes there is a fair chance I'll be cut off this weekend so will be slower coming up with these things, if there's things you want to see how they look I'd ask quickish.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i prefer the yellowy ones, but the orange looked nice too

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:30:58  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Daisy:

Brian:

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:53:47  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, let's try this combo, Tre:

Flower/guitar banner
Photo guitar
Orange inactive folder
Blue link text (shown in first one above)
Darker blue active folder (closer/more matching hyperlinks)

Flower/guitar banner
Photo guitar
Orange inactive folder
Brown text
Light blue active folder

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  09:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can't believe we're going brown.

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:06:09  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
combo one:

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.btinternet.com/~steveswickedwebsite/fuck.swf

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  10:25:43  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
combo two:

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

FBC, it might not have come accross at this size but I did use two shades for the font, the light brown and the dark brown for links both virgin and used. I do think that blue looks out of place with the theme.

sorry tre, i couldn't see too well. i can now.

loving all the mock ups in their own little way, and so you know, none of your effort has been taken for granted this end.

i agree that both Dean and Dave (and whoever they wish to help) should have the final say, just for the simple reason a poll or vote won't really decide much. We've had conflicting opinions within the 'design team', and recently we're being critiqued by random members, i don't think we'd ever find a solution to suit all.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think there should be a vote of some sort (one that's publicised in places other than here mind you), but the choice still made by admins/mods... hopefully they would at least take into consideration the general forumers opinion.

lolzabad
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  11:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been (see: pages 1-13). There is no vote nor will there be a vote on whether or not there's a vote. The topic is closed and has been thus a long time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000