Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:45:16  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can swap the guitar in for you as soon as I've drained this coffee

maybe I'm seeing things, I am mostly blind in the one eye so it's not impossible, SORRY GUYS!

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:03:30  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ooh, that's a lot better looking than I thought. Tough call... thoughts?

I think I actually like it in there better than the solid one Active Duck did to match the banner. Doesn't look out of place at all.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Woo-bee-boo-dee-boo-dee-doo-weeoou."
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  08:22:27  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's quite bright compared to the rest of the theme, is there any way to bleach the guitar (not the text) out a bit, or darken it, know what I mean? Just subdue it a little.

[edit] no, what do I know! I can't even see straight, I love it, I like it a bit more every time I check

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/29/2005 09:03:04
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think it looks great as is.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:22:00  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dean, do you want the blue borders the same sort of colour as the new folders/banner?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blue borders?

I'm not sure how crazy I am on that particular shade of blue, to be honest. I don't know why or have any justification, just an observation.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  09:56:54  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry I meant this:

words not my strong point today

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/29/2005 09:58:29
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:49:55  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, again really rough because I'm rushing it to be honest

but it gives you the idea

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  11:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that second one is nice methinks.

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing to do with the graphics but is that fb.net poll going to change to something fb related?
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  11:27:36  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good point active duck, that poll is strange

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  11:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No comment on the poll. :P

Yeah, I know, it needs to be changed badly...

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  12:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an idea for a frank-related poll!

;-)

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  12:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  17:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fbc's guitar buttons look good in there. Maybe it would be an idea to have the folder icons a similar colour (could even keep the current yellow) to make everything tie in nicely. The last forum image starmekitten posted looks superior to me just because the extra colours in the folders lift the whole scheme.

I don't think these look as nice as fbc's but I thought I'd show them anyway:

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  18:38:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I agree with you. Looks very nice, all. The current yellow does look good there and we can just recolour the active topics one as shown. I'm not sure which banner I like better, but it's nice to have a choice. It'll depend on how the background tiles exactly, i.e. if there are a couple flowers all visible beside the banner it might be too much.

Maybe we could brighten that blue just a bit, too?

So I'd say we're pretty much set on the forum side of things, once we get out bumblebees or kitty replacements. The splash page is moreorless done (just have to recode the tables). Just the main site is left now, I guess! That's great!

We just need a new one of these:

Plus recoloured Pixies icons and one all-encompassing FB icon. Also, new banners for "newsflash", "quote", "latest album", "appearances", a new "Not this Frank Black" w/dark brown, and, well, that's probably it.

As a note to myself/Dave, we also need to update poll content and colours, text colours, site map needs to be cleaned up (get rid of parens/unnecessary stuff), Official FB Tour Page (broken link), add "x" to Tribute Albums page, clean up/update portals to song db, photo gallery (upload not working), update web team.

Whew.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  19:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Thanks eveyone for all your effots. Wow!

Earlier, before I saw Tre's mock ups... I was thinking a more contrasty color would be good for the borders and post screen. But I really like the way Tre portrayed it... a more neutral color for a more the feel we're after.

Dean, to your comment earlier... I think the gutair login/log out buttons are swell!

Tre, Frank Black Conspiracy and Active Duck thanks for everything!!

To get back to the whole dog/star icon change as well as the post kitties... Here's a thought.

*Use the bees as the "post kitties"

*Change the dog/star icon to the bees and maybe a single hexagon honeycomb design?

Just some thoughts we are almost there!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/29/2005 19:19:00
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  19:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tre thanks for putting this list together!

How are you doing?? Do you need any help??? Is this something that you and COF can work on??

quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

ok before I try to go get some shut eye things worth mentioning
to management because I noticed them doing the thing up there

• you need to switch the arrows to brown

• you also need open folders as well as locked and sticky ones

• you're going to have to change link font colour because blue looks stupid

• seriously, really stupid

• things like the little picture of a page (when multiple pages) also look odd when still blue

• the purple arrows look less odd, but still a bit odd

• I recoloured most of them up there for show, if I have time and inclination I'll show you sans alteration for the full effect of stupidness.

Also, are you going to change the tonal contrast between post boxes? or keep it grey?
    I'll make some more things maybe tonight, with a post/edit box a forum sections and a main page unless someone else wants a bash.
    night.

oh crap should make a new db thread, screw it I'll do it tonight

[edit] JUST out of curiosity re: frank splash, active duck did you mess with his eyes at all? something doesn't look right to me and I can't put my finger on it, his eyes I think don't look to have any pupils and are the colour of the background? is that just my shitty monitor?

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  06:33:01  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    now if I was clever I would pretend that I left that one folder on purpose, not that I forgot it at all....

i quite like that blue but it's the same colour as the nailvarnish on my toes so I would, I think the yellow could do with being maybe a more goldy colour? bright but still tying in?

for show (I haven't fiddled with the folders here, no time)

Daisy, no idea, those are just things I noticed needed doing when making the mock, not changing them looks odd, I'll show you later.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  07:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Yeah, I definitely like the real guitar better for log in/out, probably with the flower banner.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  07:35:39  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    I think if the guitar banner is used as well as the guitar log in the background flowers would look slightly out of context, wise choice

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
    -= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
    5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  08:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    just to throw in my 2 cents, i prefer the guitar banner, simply b/c the banner should be somewhat telling of what the forum is for - the MUSIC of mr. frank black. i think the guitar gets that across better than a flower. as for the flowers looking out of place in the background, i think that fear is unfounded. it will look nice that way. but, its just my opinion, take it for what its worth

PS i also liked the fake guitar sign in/outs because they fit w/ the scheme better than the photo guitars being the only 'photos' on the page

PPS - another reason the guitar banner is superior in my opinion is because the guitar does not denote any specific era in mr. black's music - it is a universal symbol as he's used a telecaster from the pixies to honeycomb - the flower is really an image that evokes the last few catholics albums, and of the cowboy/country-influence in mr. black's style of dress since the late 1990s.

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Edited by - Broken Face on 03/30/2005 08:29:27
    Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  08:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    and a cent from me, photo guitars all the way!

the fake guitar does go well with the overall layout, but i think the photo headstock stands out quite nicely.
    it's a nice contrast against the theme we have going while complementing it too. Which is a treat.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/30/2005 10:53:46
    Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  08:52:07  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    whats a cent? is that like monopoly money :P

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  09:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    I'm siding with fbc on this. Definitely the photo guitar looks better/provides some relief. I guess the reason I prefer the flower banner is that the guitar looks a little too cartoony compared to the rest of the new look. The flower looks a lot more classy. Brian does raise some good points, though. I wonder if we could maybe try something else with a guitar there?

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  10:02:06  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    a flower and a guitar?

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  10:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    A flower and a guitar? How about two flowers and a guitar?

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
    -= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
    5155 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  10:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    if dean thinks the guitar is "too cartoony" then i don't think the same guitar + flowers will please him. i personally like the guitar w/ or w/o the flowers. but my feelings are pretty strong on having a guitar somewhere on the banner, for the reasons i stated before.

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:11:53  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    I like that last one best, it ties nice, I'll whizz up a thing

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Dean what do you find cartoony about the guitar silhouette compared to the flower silhouettes?
    Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
    = Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    In my opinion, flowers and guitar banner is not good. It's over the top. Also I prefer the one flower version. I like better the fake guitar "sign in" but maybe that's becuse of the color. The photo guitar "sign in" is OK, but you have to do something about the color, it just doesn't fit in the way it is now. IMO.

Edited by - ElevatorLady on 03/30/2005 11:36:23
    Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
    -= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
    6370 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:38:03  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    ok, I'll chip in mine as well, I think the colour of the fake sign in is better I think the white text and the three dimensionality of the real guitar is better though. I think I can't judge the banner until I see the mock proper, so here it is:

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:42:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    That last banner is bad. I see that now.
    Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  11:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    -= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000