Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  14:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dark background
http://www.daddy-ears.com/images/flowersbckgrnd9a.gif

white background
http://www.daddy-ears.com/images/flowersbckgrnd9b.gif

splash
http://www.daddy-ears.com/images/front.gif
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  14:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've liked everything you've shown us so far AD, but in particular i like the backgrounds white.
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fbc.

Here are a couple of alternative colours for the folder icons.

What are the cats being replaced with?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Damien, as always.

Was it you that re-did our "tour/show schedule" icons into the animated P and hearts/clubs/spades/etc? Those will probably have to be changed again for the new scheme, the P probably just colour wise (there's a yellow circle for unconfirmed), and the card suits perhaps amalgamated into one FB icon (perhaps the flower).

"Join the Cult of Frank / Woo-bee-boo-dee-boo-dee-doo-weeoou."
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:24:21  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have we lost the bees? If we've lost apl?

I know bugger all about icons

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AD, that's cool.

i like the white background for the splash as the brown you've chosen stands out so well.
for the forum and site background, i only think white becasue a few members mentioned they hit this site at work, so having it white keeps their surfing discreet.

other than that, i'd love for you to have free reign of this place and to let your creativity and imagination run wild, i like your work that much.

(edit; i type to slow)

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/28/2005 15:31:29
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did make a P icon and the card suit icons but didn't make the animation.

Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fbc, I think the darker background was intended only for use behind the splash page (as the white doesn't look so good) with the white background being used everywhere else. I think.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  15:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AD, seriously, whatever you say in this thread i'd go along with.

having seen your work here and the link you posted pages back to your icons, you know exactly what you're doing and have the talent to see it through. Just wanted to offer an explaination to why i like the white so you didn't think i was some prat jumping in offering my opinion like it was gospel in just one sentence.

nice!

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone! Thanks Active duck! Thanks FBC! Thanks Tre! Personally my favorites are the spash with the white background. For the background for the other pages, I like the subtle flowers against the white bacground.

OK here's what's left:

• Someone needs to create more graphic in the corner of the page. Add ones that say main page, song database and what not.

• I know we all liked the first Japaneese feel folders a while back... but now I feel and am getting that the general feeling is to go with the folders Active Duck just posted

• Although we've talked about what we would like it to look like, we haven't decided on the background. Personally, the one with the white bacground looks cool. Active Duck, I know you've done so much so far, but can you make one in a contrasting color such as the blue you used for one of the folders you just mocked up to make it pop? Thanks!

• We are working into redoing the dog/star bullet points for the main page. I do like the flowers, but maybe we can have one of a the other flowrer used and shrunk down to size, so we have more than one kind.

• I do think the gutair icon FBCcame up with would be cool here. Can these be used as "kitties"?

• We're also looking for an alternate icon for the post kitties as well as the heart, diamond, spade imagery used for tour dates on the main page. Do we want to use flowers here, or maybe gutairs?? Or something else?

• Once all this is decided, we can play around with the colors of items that Tre worked on awhile back, the navagation bar, the post box ect, color of links among other things. Options we have looked at are in the Sepia tone family. However, maybe a slate green color similar to the artwork Active Duck has developed is an option. Another option would be a more contrastig color such as a steel/grey/blue color.

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/28/2005 18:35:48
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the sepia theme is gone for good? is the green splash the final version, finished product?

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone! Keep up the incredible work!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you mean in refrence to the last bullet point of my post?
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, i meant the splash page/general theme. we're definitely going with active duck's? i thought dean said something a while back about a poll/vote. just curious.

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't remember anything about a poll... that doesn't mean he didn't say it... do you happen to remember when/where it came up?? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i just had it in my mind somehow that there would be a vote on the final theme. probably imagined it, though.

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  18:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we've had a lot to talk about here! I am sure COF will straighten it out when he gets here :)

Hey D what to you think of everything so far?
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
everything's going well, full steam ahead. i haven't been in this thread for a while, last time i checked sepia was still the plan, and for the record, i love, love, LOVE the sepia.

so that's why just now the green sort of suprised me, i can't keep up. just confused for a minute there, feeling better now.

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:10:27  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the trouble is that we've had two very strong and very different themes crop up, one which was developed by the masses over a bit of time which was the original brief of sepia toned frank honeycmb themed subtlety.

And then all of a sudden this also lovely new one which seems to be the way we're going, I think it's hard to make up your mind on which is preferable when both are so strong, I know not many people post in here to express their opinions but I guess a lot of people will be living with whatever the change is, maybe it would be a good idea to have a poll on two complete themes, they're easy enough to mock up and Dean and Dave seemed to like both of them from what Dean tells us.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A poll. We were gonna do a poll, right?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, I wasn't intending to put it to a vote. Truth be told, me intention was to develop this all behind the scenes with whomever was interested and spring the final design on everyone else as a surprise, but this seems to be working well so I'm happy. Of course I'm more than interested in opinions, but the final decision is pretty much to use Damien's work, not that what he/Jen did together wasn't great, but this just strikes me as more of what I was hoping for (even if, at the same time, not at all what I had in mind).

I don't think we need to move away from browns to work this though. Taupe can work with greens and browns and many other colours. Well, some other colours. Which is essentially the sepia toning, but perhaps less all-encompassing or with a little variety.

I'm willing to look at the splash on white if that seems to be the overall preference, though my intent was, as Damien said, to use the dark background for the splash page to make it look good in large-sized browsers. Which it does (my resolution is 1600x1200). This was at Dave's request since he wanted to move into a more scalable design and he's pretty happy with the second background as well as I, so no promises, but I'll tell him to look at it on white too.

As far as I see it, splash and backgrounds are done. I'm still very interested in using bumblebees instead of the kitties, whether they're Jen's or someone else's (I can't find Jen's). I like those folders (I don't think the diagonal lines are necessary) fine and we may have to change some other icons you don't necessarily see in your view all the time like Edit/Lock/Delete to also be that same brown. You need to start a new topic to see them. Or look at a topic that's been locked.

Yeah, we also do need icons for the dog/star, I plum forgot. I'm open to ideas on this, flowers, other things that fit, whatev.

Thanks again, all. I think we're pretty darned close to getting this new set up rolled out. I want to wait until we're all finished everything, but I'm starting to wonder if that's going to be difficult given all the ideas floating around now about what it could look like. Tre, do you want to attempt/would you mind playing with what the forum might look like with Damien's latest work? If you have time and stuff, of course.

Anyway, I can't say this enough, so thanks again everyone.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:39:22  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should have some time over the next few days, can't promise anything before thursday though, I'll try

Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

<temporarily out of order>

quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

i got bored.
here's another

but, but..... they're SO pretty.

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  19:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, I know, there's no denying it. I especially did love the typewriter stuff that Jen did (I think we'll still be able to use the basis of what Tre has done) but somehow we have to come to a decision with all this prettiness. :(

Ideally we'd be able to have multiple forums.

Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  20:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm pouting right now, dean. you've made a grown woman pout.

I love my dead gay son!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  23:56:43  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no sleep so testing testing...

there's a rough go for you, I'll try proper when my eyes are working

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/29/2005 00:15:58
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

• Someone needs to create more graphic in the corner of the page. Add ones that say main page, song database and what not.

Is there a chance we can edit some of the text on the SD and Lyric pages?
Maybe include a relevant photo to click on as the link to the next screen.

I was thinking one of the typewriter images would suit the Lyrics page really well. I like those pics so much it would be a shame not to find a home for at least one.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/29/2005 00:13:56
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tre. Wow!
that's so nice!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:17:49  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gots to agree with you FBC, I think parts of the subsections are difficult to get around (two links to get to song db really needed?) and text heavy and ugly.

I'm tired and blunt today

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tired and blunt yet still inspired. you sure you're not studying graphics?
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:34:49  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm only doing the copying and pasting bit
I like to leave the fancy pictures to thems
that knows the fancy pictures

Now, I could however do you a nice model of
a serine protease if you're interested

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  00:54:40  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok before I try to go get some shut eye things worth mentioning
to management because I noticed them doing the thing up there

• you need to switch the arrows to brown

• you also need open folders as well as locked and sticky ones

• you're going to have to change link font colour because blue looks stupid

• seriously, really stupid

• things like the little picture of a page (when multiple pages) also look odd when still blue

• the purple arrows look less odd, but still a bit odd

• I recoloured most of them up there for show, if I have time and inclination I'll show you sans alteration for the full effect of stupidness.

Also, are you going to change the tonal contrast between post boxes? or keep it grey?
    I'll make some more things maybe tonight, with a post/edit box a forum sections and a main page unless someone else wants a bash.
    night.

oh crap should make a new db thread, screw it I'll do it tonight

[edit] JUST out of curiosity re: frank splash, active duck did you mess with his eyes at all? something doesn't look right to me and I can't put my finger on it, his eyes I think don't look to have any pupils and are the colour of the background? is that just my shitty monitor?

Edited by - starmekitten on 03/29/2005 00:56:45
    Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  01:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by starmekitten

INow, I could however do you a nice model of
    a serine protease if you're interested

ah, go on then. i'm clueless to what it could be but the interest is there.
    it'll be my learn something knew everyday thing for today.
    girl, you so smart!

have you heard that song yet too?
    Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  01:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I didn't touch his eyes. You've got to believe me.

They aren't the same colour as the background on my monitor although it is true his pupils aren't well defined.

I downloaded the icon set for the forum so changing additional icon colours shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  06:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    The eyes look fine on my monitor, but that's weird.

Tre, that looks really good. Doesn't look coloured at all and yet it most certainly is. I again think we've hit it. And by we I mean you guys. :) How did it look with the guitar in there? I have a feeling it won't work. Perhaps we could scale those down a bit and use them in place of the dogs? Rotate them up 45-60 degrees so it's at an angle?

FBC, that is a very valid point, I'll look at reworking the lyrics/song db/photo gallery pages and whatever subsections we have. I always did think they were a little unwieldy. Very nice! I'm happy to find a place where I can use them.

Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    -= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000