Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 Suggestion Box / Website Discussion
 WANTED: Graphics Person - Make This Site Prettier!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  12:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I was thinking the same with the flowers as background.

I'll try and get an image with some more brown uploaded soon.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  14:10:27  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats stunning! so fresh and spring and summer and fresh...

STUNNING

I like that it's more universal as well, less reliant on honeycomb

in short, I love it

cats have nine lives/ which makes them ideal for experimentation
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  14:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've been back to look at this several times and each time I love it more. It's completely not what I had in mind, but I love it. I'm not even sure it needs to move more brown.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Seriously."
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  14:37:43  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no! I like the colour as it is, it's lurvely!

Dean your mind is obviously wrong :P

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  16:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been chatting with Dave and going through here with him, he also really likes this one. He did say however that he would like on this new one, to not have it be a small box on a large white background given that monitor resolutions are going up and up. What I was thinking was that maybe if we could put the splash on a similar coloured background (maybe the same or maybe a different tint the way you did for the sub-boxes) with those flower prints, that would do it. We could use the inverse of that, perhaps, as the forum background). Or if you can think of some other way that scales nicely from 1600x1200 to 800x600 then I'm definitely all ears. If we can't do it, then we'll go ahead and do it the way we were planning to, it was just something to keep in mind.

Also, for the image parts, your font works fine, but I'm afraid that the actual news items would have to be a common font. We could use Courier and apply bold, etc, but there are likely people out there who don't have the font you're using (me included). The joys of web design. :)

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  16:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm loving the images. I can see why matching up the fonts is the way to go more than ever.
And the simplicity of it all. Less is more. Nice.

The splash!, especially the pic of FB, looks so clean.
starme.k said it best, so fresh
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  17:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the news font goes, personally I would stick with whatever is being used currently.

I am trying to work on a background image now. What size is the tiled image you use?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  17:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Active Duck, that's so beautiful, clean is the word. I'm loving it!

You're trying to
fool somebody, but you end up fooling yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  17:50:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whatever you want on the tile size, honestly. I think our current image is probably in the neighbourhood of 800 square.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  17:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First I really want to thank everyone especially Frank Black Conspiracy, Apl, Tre and Dean who have gotten us to this point!

Wow Active Duck!! Thanks so much. I can't even imagine how long it took you for to do that design... it looks incredible. Personally I really like the color scheme the way it is in your design. Definately Dean and Dave bring up a point about what works best give monitor resloutions. But I really think this is an amazing concept and given the feedback we're recieving I defintately think this is the way to go!

I am going to post now and follow up right away with some next steps.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  18:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok ... tell me about what you guys think about this so far :)

Suggested way to approach things lets finish nailing down the "Big Stuff" and then focus on the small):

1. Background page: Active Duck can you mock up a background similar to what we have with the same flower artwork you showed us in the splash. Can you make the frankblack.net logo a little more prominant? If possible, can you play around with the location of the logo?

1b. Color forum topic bars, posting box ect. That Tre has been working on. Given the new color sceme, I wonder how a grey, steel grey or grey-green would look. Any ideas?

2. "Splash" frankblack.net page-- It looks like we're all in agreement of Active Duck's graphics. Further comments?

3. Design graphics for header (to bio, music, images, links and web team pages). This consists primarily of one main graphic in the top center of the page.

-- Dean, is it possible to have several images in the top left corner that rotate as the site is refreshed by the forum member? These pictures could be from different points of Franks career.

--Active Duck, I am wondering if we can combine the graphics FBC and Tre proposed with the color, font and perhaps flowers you came up with.

4. Design graphics for the forum pages. This consists primarily in the top left corner of the page. ((see above)maybe we can mesh these together if we can get 5-6 images that change when you refresh. Otherwise we need two. I know we want to keep it simple here, but I think having Frank's pic in all of them is a critical element in when designing this)

4b. Log Out/Log In box: Can we see a mock up with Active Ducks Login font as well as FBC's gutair design? I think that's cool. I know we're keeping it simple, but it would be cool to see both in a mock up.

5. Make sure the font across graphics and main parts of the forum. For these use one that is similar to FrankBlackFrancis logo.

Other more nit-pickey stuff: (Secondary focus to items listed above)

6. Update the tiny dog and star graphics that are used as bullets on the main page with a more Honeycomb inspired version.Update With flowers similar to Active Duck's design or other suggestions mentioned earlier? Any other suggestions?

b. Update the FB poll colors to fit with this new graphic look

c. As far as the tour dates section on the right hand part of the main page- Clean up somewhat per Tre's and Dean's feedback

d. Post Kitties-- change to flowers like active duck's design?, typewriters?, bees? or another design?

Thanks all for your contributions!!

So what colors do we think will go well with this new color scheme?? I would like to see the browns that we have been working on but would also like to see a grey/steel grey/or grey green mock up as a contrast too.

Thanks again everyone.. Also..thanks to the forum members for popping your head in to comment too!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  19:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it's taupe, so it'll probably still go nicely with some muted browns (the what's new box is a light brown), I don't think we have to scrap that. We can introduce more grays into it though as a result.

It'd be easy enough to make a rotating script (I've developed one on another website to cycle through different front page art), but the placement of that banner is built into the forum so we can't cycle them. I'm actually fine with not having Frank's picture there as I really like how he's integrated the flower theme and tied the front page in with the site. I'm still happy to see more variations on this theme, but I really do like the tie in.

I don't want to go overkill with the flowers, though. They'll probably be background imagery (obviously it's not done yet) and it'll be in the forum banner and on the front page, let's try to come up with alternate iconography for the kitties, heart/spade/etc. I think for the show related ones we could potentially use the flower again (or some other icon representing his non-Pixies career) for FB solo stuff and then TV/radio icons for the rest, rather than theming those too. Will make that a little easier.

I'm fine with a simple text log out as well, but both Dave & I really liked that guitar, so it'd be great to see how that would look with the right font (and if it will fit thematically - it looks awesome stand-alone, but I'm not sure how it'll fit in). I guess we're moving the site to a more refined/simple and less cartoony look, which first became evident in Apl's first splash screen, then Tre's first non-beehive background, and now is definitely the case with Damien's latest work. I really like the way you can see ideas feeding off each other and the way this has organically grown to its logical conclusion. Nice work on everyone's part! If we can keep going at this rate, I'd like to attempt to move up our launch date to April 3ish.

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  04:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can we see a mock up with Active Ducks Login font as well as FBC's gutair design?

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/23/2005 04:32:02
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  04:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(if you were considering the headstock idea, i can send Active the image so he can work his magic)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  06:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, definitely considering. It'll be on a white background most likely, but I wanted to see that it looked good with that colour and it does. The only thing is I'd chop the image at the bridge evenly (or whatever you call the 0th fret).

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  09:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will do. will have them up here in a little while.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/23/2005 13:32:32
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  13:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What font are you using, btw?

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  13:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't know. I just borrowed the images AD posted, then cut them out via photoshop

it's a nice one, so similar to fbf's
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  13:54:17  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Active Duck, that's lovely. Everything looks very nice - love the new login/out buttons too FBC. Glad this is coming along without my help, as things have gotten too busy for me to contribute anymore.

Good luck with the redesign everyone! Should be a beautiful site when it's done.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  14:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why thankyou apl. still have to figure out the right angle and size of headstock but it's fun, busy doing nothing

and i'm sure none of this would be so advanced and/or where we are now without you
still keep your thoughts coming though, yeah

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/23/2005 14:04:31
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  14:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, there definitely needs to be a "log out". Maybe one with no text at all?

Apl, I'm disappointed of course, but I definitely understand.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  17:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apl, sorry you can't help out anymore. Just wanted to say thanks so much for all your contributions until this point... we couldn't have gotten here without you! Anyway, if things calm down a little bit, please feel free to pop in and share your thoughts!

Thanks again Active Duck and FBC for everything !!! Wow ... its so cool!

FBC I really like what you're showing us... I am thinking that I like the one on the top right. The reason I like that size is that you can see the detail of the strings... but I guess we probably will want to put a couple of your versions in the mock up to see what works best.

Also, just wanted to share with you guys Tre emailed me with a good idea. Maybe we could see if we could use FBC's gutair buttons in place of the stars/dogs on the main page?

Dean, I am thinking just be be consistent we should have log out on there too... also a little less confusing.

Just a thought :)
Thanks again for your hard work!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/23/2005 17:06:24
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  17:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I meant we should have a log out one and also one with no text at all in case Damien needs to tinker a bit or something.

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  17:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are two larger images of the fender telecaster headstock if Active Duck needs them.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  20:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool!! Thanks guys!! I am just so pumped up by all this cool artistic vibe that's going on here!!!
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, just checking, is everything covered now? Or is there anything else you want updating (images)?

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 03/24/2005 12:26:33
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  17:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well since we decided on Active Ducks' graphic in the corner of the page that says forum for the forum page, I guess we can get one for each page eventually that says main page, song data base and what not.

Although we've talked about what we would like it to look like, we haven't decided on the background. I don't think anyone specifically has taken the lead on this yet.

We also as a nit picky detail were looking into redoing the dog/star bullet points for the main page. I do think the gutair icon you came up with would be cool here. We're also looking for an alternate icon for the post kitties as well as the heart, diamond, spade imagery used for tour dates on the main page. So if you could help out with that that would be cool.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 03/24/2005 17:26:17
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  08:49:06  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think active duck is working on a background to tie in with the flowers from the splash and the forum header.

so I think the only other real change is the icons like you say daisy
anyone got ideas for replacements of:

• main page: dog icon

• main page: star icon

• main page: show icons (club/heart/diamond/spade)

• forum: kitty icon - are we still moving to bees?

• If they go with active ducks log in/log out buttons it would be nice to keep the headstock in somewhere (thats amazing fbc, really is)

and r.e. colours, if we're keeping this taupe the dark brown of the main borders still works but the sub borders would have to be another shade of taupe I think to keep it all uniform, when it looks like we have a definate background daisy I'll recolour the mock up things to show you.

my two pence worth there..

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  09:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks for the update smk (you too daisy), and the compliment. think we've done swell so far.
    Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
    5305 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  23:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    As always thank YOU for the initiative and all the creative inmput! As well as everyone that's been helping out!

:)

Please let me know if you have any questions.... I should be around Saturday but probably not Sunday
    Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  01:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    i will try to upload the background(s) that I've been working on when I get back from work later today.
    Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
    5305 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  15:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks Active Duck. I really appricate your help!!
    Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  06:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Looking forward to seeing this. Hope everyone had a good easter, let's get this ball rolling again.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Woo-bee-boo-dee-boo-dee-doo-weeoou."
    Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
    ~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
    411 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  11:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    When I finished work I got a call and ended up going home for a few nights. Here are the delayed attempts at a background that I promised.

http://www.daddy-ears.com/fbfront02.htm

http://www.daddy-ears.com/fbfront01.htm
    Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
    = Black Noise Maker =

Canada
    11674 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  12:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Yeah, that print background looks great! Can I get that as just an image by itself, another copy with the colours swapped (as close to a primarily white background as possible since that one is darker), and a final of just the splash?

Thanks a lot. Kathleen, where does this put us in terms of what is left to be done?

"Join the Cult of Frank / Woo-bee-boo-dee-boo-dee-doo-weeoou."
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    -= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000