Nice Honeycomb review - "No Ripcord"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  22:28:07  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.noripcord.com/reviews/B/frankblackalbum.html

Frank Black
"Honeycomb" (Cooking Vinyl)
You’re spoilt for choice if you like your alt.rockers grown up these days. If you were embarrassed to listen to Norah Jones (as well you might be) then Tanya Donelly’s solo records inject a touch of class into chilled, melodic songs. If you fancy some full-on punk rock, then there’s no band around at the moment to touch Kristin Hersh’s Fifty Foot Wave. Bob Mould still has followers drooling, and even Sonic Youth have managed to stay relevant.

Frank Black has taken a different approach again. This is his first solo record since he formed the Catholics in 1998, and it’s informed by his work with this band rather than harking back to the quirky pop-rock of Teenager Of The Year or Cult Of Ray. The country stylings reached a zenith on Show Me Your Tears, which made No Ripcord’s Top 50 in 2003, and Honeycomb distils this and mixes with the informed and consistently intriguing songwriting style that has marked the man’s career.

Reforming the Pixies was a strange move for a man who’s always made much of not looking back at himself, although to be fair he’s probably come through it significantly better off than when he started. Acclaim (both critical and commercial) has been pretty hard to come by in his solo career: although always rapturously received by fans, Black’s difficulty is that his albums always take a long time to fully appreciate. The average length of time someone has to get to know an album before reviewing it is not really enough to fully appreciate the subtleties and nuances of, for example, a comparatively simple song like first single I Burn Today. In these days where playing ‘with feeling’ is so highly regarded, Black’s deceptively straightforward vocal style doesn’t always reveal the passion behind the songs, at first glance.

Alright, so enough with the excuses already. It’s a good record, definitely. As usual the songs are superbly crafted, and very well-executed. As good as the Catholics certainly were, even they wouldn’t argue that to have a line up of musicians such as Steve Cropper, Reggie Young, Dann Penn and Spooner Oldham virtually guarantees class.

The album was recorded mere days before the first Pixies shows last year, in Nashville, with Jon Tiven (engineer for, among others, Wilson Pickett). The quality of the backing speaks volumes about the musicians, and this time (maybe for the first time?), Frank Black’s vocals really hit the mark. Whereas before, the focus was on the lyrics and structures, on Honeycomb it’s really possible to revel in the beauty of the entire sound – this is really noticeable in the early highlight, the cover of Dark End Of The Street, where the delicate tone of the track calls for a subtlety of pitching and falsetto that you just wouldn’t expect from the man who penned Tame.

There’s certainly nothing along those lines here. Even Black’s last record included some rock monsters like Massif Centrale, but you’d be hard pressed to find anything even remotely resembling a distortion pedal here. And guess what, it’s all the better for it. For a chap past the 40 mark, it would sound pretty tacky anyway to be writing songs based on a sound better suited to adolescent rock anyway.

Fortunately, country music is undergoing something of a revival in credibility these days. Gone are the days when the public face to most people was Garth Brooks – these days folks are more likely to name the Johnny Cash’s, the Will Oldham’s, the Ryan Adams’ of this world as icons. Honeycomb, with its country-soul heart may not fit exactly into the desolate landscapes of these, but there’s enough melancholy and underlying pensiveness to appeal to anyone looking for music a little more intelligent than can be seen on MTV2. For those looking just for superb songs and playing, then Frank Black steps up to provide once again. Here comes your man, indeed. 8/10

Reviewed By Simon Briercliffe
September 10th, 2005

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:13:39  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's already been posted, but isn't it a beautiful review?
He writes awful nice that Briercliffe bloke.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is a nice review.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  17:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's a refreshing review.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  17:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the rare and brilliant reviewer who mentions Bob Mould, especially before Frank.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  00:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brierclife isn't very consistent in his reviews though, is he? I'm sure the one in Record Review was not that positive. At least there is no Pickett reference this time.

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  01:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blah blah blah, I still think the guy is, on the whole, a good reviewer. An album (especially a Frank Black one) can grow on a guy given time. For example, if the reviewer has a deadline to meet for one publication then he'll have to listen to the record a lot in a short space of time, which is not always ideal.

But yes, no Pickett reference. I would imagine somebody else was to blame for that.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  01:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are too kind on Briercliffe. Who can forget his awful "Show me your tears?... Show me your crud, more like" review in Starcrossedwebmates.com? Thank God that site is not tracked by metacritic.

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  03:12:15  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear he likes 'Violet'. You can't trust folks like that.

"You know, with a decent haircut and a new jacket, you could be quite attractive"
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  03:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

I hear he likes 'Violet'. You can't trust folks like that.

"You know, with a decent haircut and a new jacket, you could be quite attractive"

I hear his taste in women is hightly questionable. Love the signature!

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  03:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Short, tall, bring them on.

EDIT: is what I hear about this guy.

Edited by - Cheeseman1000 on 09/22/2005 03:37:20
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  03:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeez, I just found another Briercliffe special. An atrocious review of "Dog in the Sand":

"Dog in the Sand? I prefer the dog in my bed."

And another great Briercliffean error from a later review: "BLD: This sprawling album is bookended by very different covers of Otis Redding's "The Black Rider."

PS - it was "really" attractive!!!

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  03:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried googling the name? There must be a ton of good quotes out there. The guy has a way with words, let me tell you.

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  04:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took your advice, and found a review of Devil's Workshop by a S.B. It must be him, it positively reeks of Briercliffe:

"This slipshod collection of half-baked tunes might appeal to stunted Brummies, but is anathema to those of us with more civilised tastes."

He's not much of a snob, is he (assuming this is Briercliffean in origin)?

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  05:31:56  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Petite is a much nicer word than stunted, I think people should keep this in mind.

Edited by - starmekitten on 09/22/2005 05:32:14
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  05:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember that one, I happened to agree: I think stunted Brummies was about right.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  06:32:09  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's nice that this Briercliffe targets his reviews for those of Percenters age. I'm guessing when you're getting on in years it can be hard to understand all this youth speak....

"You’re spoilt for choice if you like your alt.rockers the same age as you these days. If you were embarrassed to listen to Norah Jones (as are all except those of Scottish persuasion) then Tanya Donelly’s solo records could inject a touch of class into your otherwise daily drudgery of pile creams and hair loss. If you fancy some full-on punk rock to help recapture your near forgotten youth, then there’s no band around at the moment to touch Kristin Hersh’s Fifty Foot Wave. Bob Mould still has followers drooling (although more because of the badly fitting false teeth than the rock credentials)"

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  06:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's true. 10%r is very old.

But, y'know, a new hairdo can do a lot for a chap?

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  06:35:51  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine it depends what you have to work with in the first place.
Poor Percenter.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  06:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, you two whipersnappers. Enough with bashing the old folks.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  06:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the knee for a spanking you go!

Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheeseman and starmekitten, you seem to have a certain online chemistry. Have you ever thought of getting together? True, you might need a stepladder and a few decent receptacles for Cheesie's clown shoes, but Pollyanna Percenter predicts great things for you. I have asked the great Briercliffe for his views of such a meeting of hearts, and he sent the following:

"Not since I heard Edwin Starr sing 'When a man loves a women' have I been so sure of a love match - Starmekitten and Cheeseman are destined for great things, as I didn't say in my previous statement on the potential coupling in Record Review."

But who are these Tanya Ds and Sonic Youth he refers to? New-fangled beat combos?

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  08:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I imagine he would have used more emphasis, e.g. the great Edwin Starr.

Ooh, he's got an arm off!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erm, how old (in years) is very old here ? just being interested, so i can put myself in place

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  04:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Briercliffe or Percenter? At a guess, I'd put TP around the mid 60's mark, although a new haircut would shave a few years off that.
Briercliffe I hear is a somewhat statuesque mid-twenties.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  04:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

erm, how old (in years) is very old here ?

25, if you listen to Whore at the Door

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  04:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this thread makes me cringe.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  04:59:07  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

Briercliffe I hear is a somewhat statuesque mid-twenties.

Funny, I heard he was somewhat of a lanky whippersnapper.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  05:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

this thread makes me cringe.

We can make fun of you for being bizarrely young if you like.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  05:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if by make fun you mean make sickly in joke type comments, cool!

Edited by - PixieSteve on 09/23/2005 05:31:57
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  05:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lolzabad!

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  05:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sa-lag.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic