Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to mention that I read Frank Black's interview in "Comes with a smile" and in answer to the question "What's next for you", he says he is writing new songs ant that he was talking with Jon Tiven about doing some sessions with all the old New York punks "from that scene" - "he's from there so he's got all those guys waiting in the wings".

Sounds more like a plan for yet another project than anything else, but who knows...

Man, these guys know how to keep busy.

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  04:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI New York session is still a future possibility, but the new recording session was with the Honeycombers. Let's keep the premature rumors down to a minimum and concentrate on that which is current.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  05:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

Let's keep the premature rumors down to a minimum and concentrate on that which is current.

bye,
Jon Tiven

he was quoting frank, so if you want to keep telling people what to do perhaps that's who you should be discussing this with.

i am sitting here observing my emotional discomfort.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  05:54:37  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, Day. It's a forum, let people talk about what they want to talk about.

Thank you for posting this windupbird.

Edited by - starmekitten on 09/21/2005 05:56:08
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  08:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's keep the premature rumors down to a minimum and concentrate on that which is current.

Yeah, like what records Jon wants us to buy. Please provide a list, Jon.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  08:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look, you can rumor all you like, but the NY punk vet record is still very far in the future and all speculation. No players have been booked, no date has been set, and no tunes have been written, so there's really nothing to talk about. It is an idea that is being batted around.

We did do a session last week which I leaked in the Sicilian thread, but if you want to hear what records I'd like you to buy, here is my list:

ELO-first two albums reissued in U.K. as 2-cd sets (excellent)
Marty Brown-Cryin Lovin Leavin (fantastic country/roots singer)
Holland Dozier Holland-Heaven Must Have Sent You (the guys who wrote many of the Motown songs, and this comprehensive 3 cd set is pretty super)

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  08:42:04  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well maybe we'd like to talk about what we think it would sound like...
Or maybe people we think it would work with...
Or song types that we think Frank would suit..

Maybe we should be 'allowed' to speculate and use our own heads a little.

Maybe it is a far in the future not definate deal, but there's plenty to talk about without taking from any current works.

So again, I thank the guy who posted this to start with, and I hope they continue posting seeing as they seem new here and don't feel shot down by this.

Edited by - starmekitten on 09/21/2005 08:43:29
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  09:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who are the "NY punk vets" exactly? sounds interesting to me! Anyone have any timetable projections on the upcoming sessions?

Iggy + Frank?

Would FB play at a "Save CBGB" event? I think he and Little Steven could do some mean Boss covers!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  09:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I do sympathize with you guys (and do consider windupbird's quoting of Frank to be, in intention and in spirit, harmless), I have to sympathize more with Jon Tiven's replies. On the internet it takes about three seconds for speculation and rumor to become reported "facts" (and this board in particular often likes to jump the gun something fierce when it comes to assuming projects Frank talks about in the press are done deals) and Mr. Tiven is only doing what he can to put a cap on this early.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobafett

Who are the "NY punk vets" exactly? sounds interesting to me! Anyone have any timetable projections on the upcoming sessions?

What Toba said.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ELO huh? I always thought the coolest thing about that band was the singer being in the Travelling Wilburys.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

While I do sympathize with you guys (and do consider windupbird's quoting of Frank to be, in intention and in spirit, harmless), I have to sympathize more with Jon Tiven's replies. On the internet it takes about three seconds for speculation and rumor to become reported "facts" (and this board in particular often likes to jump the gun something fierce when it comes to assuming projects Frank talks about in the press are done deals) and Mr. Tiven is only doing what he can to put a cap on this early.

wouldn't speculation and rumors be a good thing? if it doesn't happen so what. if it does, all this speculation and anticipation is free publicity..

publicity = more records sold = more $ for Jon

everybody wins
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  10:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts exactly. I thought "buzz" was a good thing?

I jumped on the Frank Black Bandwagon/'Cause Pixies are so 2004
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  11:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

"cap on this early"? cap on what exactly? on enthusiasm for my fave artist? on pining for a new album? and "harmless"? there's NO harm EITHER way, pal. Frank wins. We win. no speculation has been proffered. No rumors have been aired. Please explain yourself.

Folks "on this board" don't "assume" much but when the artist to whom this site is dedicated speaks of getting a group of pals together to do a record, we want more information from reliable sources. NOT gossip. NOT rumours. We want "I am playing with some cool cats up in NYC--you might've heard of...(insert NY Punk Veteran's name(s) here). we want the DIRT. not the pre-gleaned whinnowed data.

and floop is right. publicity = more records sold = more $ for Jon (AND FRANK)

Edited by - tobafett on 09/21/2005 13:35:47
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  12:57:33  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The guy made a suggestion, not a commandment. At least people pay attention to Mr. Tiven.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  15:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We cut a new record last week and you guys want to speculate about the one that MAY or MAY NOT ever get made?

I know if it was me on the outside, I'd be curious about the record he made, not the one that at best won't be seen for two years. And the punk vets album is just a vague idea. Go ahead, talk amongst yourselves.

I have no opinion and nothing to offer. I'm into this new record. We're making it now. Sorry, I've got to go. There's a journalist on the phone who wants to ask me questions about former punk rockers doing an album with Frank Black.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

bye,
Jon Tiven

Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sorry, I've got to go. There's a journalist on the phone who wants to ask me questions about former punk rockers doing an album with Frank Black.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

I guess you need to TELL Frank to quit leaking information.

And perhaps some of us are more interested in the potential new album more than the recently recorded album because we weren't too happy with the last album.

Edited by - darwin on 09/21/2005 16:00:44
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:01:39  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... because of course the journos pay more attention to the fan forum rather than something the man himself has said.

Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

(1) We cut a new record last week and you guys want to speculate about the one that MAY or MAY NOT ever get made?

(2) I know if it was me on the outside, I'd be curious about the record he made, not the one that at best won't be seen for two years. And the punk vets album is just a vague idea. Go ahead, talk amongst yourselves.

(3) I have no opinion and nothing to offer.

To clarify:
(1) I'm excited about the new record. More detail from that one is definitely welcomed. And no, I don't want to speculate about the punk record--not rumor, just FACTS.

(2) I'm curious about ALL Frank's albums, thank you. The ones he's done, the ones he's working on, the ones that are to come, and the ones inside his mind. Two years ain't too long to wait. I don't need to know everything now, I'm (and venture to say many folks on this site are) just excited to hear about upcoming projects that may or mayn't occur. And why the rancorous "Go ahead and talk amongst yourselves" statement? We do that. Do you believe that our discussions of The Man's music and his processes of making said music are without merit?

(3) obviously.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm less interested in the Honeycomb cats and more in the old punk icons.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:30:34  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

We cut a new record last week and you guys want to speculate about the one that MAY or MAY NOT ever get made?

Yes?

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  16:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Talk amongst yourselves"

as in

If there's a consensus that this is what you're interested in, by all means. I will butt out.

or

If you are interested in the new album, I might be able to add something to the conversation. No offense meant.

I will retire to my monk's retreat and wait until we are a little closer to the album release date. The phone call was a joke. You guys have to lighten up a little. And....

There are a wide variety of players on this album, and because of the nature of the songs on it I don't think many of you will find it neccesary to compare it to HONEYCOMB. Apples and oranges. Same author, different books. Time's Arrow and London Fields.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  17:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Talk amongst yourselves"

as in

If there's a consensus that this is what you're interested in, by all means. I will butt out.

or

If you are interested in the new album, I might be able to add something to the conversation. No offense meant.

that's why we have separate topics here. in this one that windupbird started we can discuss this possible future project.. in topics about this other one, we can discuss that..

sound like a plan?

Edited by - floop on 09/21/2005 17:11:08
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  17:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I play on Frank's next record?! :)
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  17:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fine. See y'all in the udder tred.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  18:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is the thread where we can ask, which punk icons might Frank be playing with in the future?

Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  19:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops. Just came home and read this thread.

I was just quoting an interview, certainly didn't mean to spread rumors or anything. And definitely not trying to start a thread where we're all going to argue...

Let's, indeed, lighten up.

Oh, and on a much brighter note - the track "Atlantis" was included with a CD that comes with the magazine and it is great! Amazing sound, great vocals, the works.

As a matter of fact, I might just have to go listen to it again right now.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  19:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by windupbird

I was just quoting an interview, certainly didn't mean to spread rumors or anything. And definitely not trying to start a thread where we're all going to argue...

I believe I speak for all of us on the board when I say that nobody thinks you are trying to stir up trouble or start arguments or spread rumors.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  20:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except me. ;)
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  21:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

FYI New York session is still a future possibility, but the new recording session was with the Honeycombers. Let's keep the premature rumors down to a minimum and concentrate on that which is current.

bye,
Jon Tiven

you're pretty up to date with this forum..
thanks for the updates.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  21:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate your participation here Jon, please let us know when there's any further info on Frank touring.

But Frank and Bob Mould would be a good start!

Edited by - HeywoodJablome on 09/21/2005 22:07:05
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  01:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon,

Could you just clarify something about the new album(s?). Is the Sicillian the one that's been finished? Is it a single album or a double one or did the two sessions produce two different albums? Does this one have 'kiss my ring'? How many songs were co-writen with Reid Paley?
Any info on anything regarding new FB albums would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  02:13:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the people vs jon tiven

this is getting old

both sides just want to be mean to eachother
relax

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  02:19:52  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
btw, Jon
I lost track of Frank's recording sessions after 'Honeycomb'
what is in the can now? what can we expect?

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Teafer
- FB Fan -

90 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

quote:

I believe I speak for all of us on the board when I say that nobody thinks you are trying to stir up trouble or start arguments or spread rumors.

Petite tête, si tu n'existais pas il faudrait t'inventer. Cette capacité à produire un discours lénifiant en toute circonstance et sur tous les sujets me laisse baba. Existes tu vraiment ?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  07:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teafer

quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

quote:

Petite tête, si tu n'existais pas il faudrait t'inventer. Cette capacité à produire un discours lénifiant en toute circonstance et sur tous les sujets me laisse baba. Existes tu vraiment ?

Je peux te chanter la chanson "Et si tu n'existais pas" (par Joe Dassin).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000