floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  15:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

Nice lookin peppers floop.

I've got spider mites in the greenhouse!

thanks Carolynannna..

yeah, not bad for amateurs. i have to say, i'm loving the peppers.

today we're going to make crab-stuffed chile rellenos with our anaheim and cubanelle peppers.

the habaneros are finally coming in like crazy .

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a recent harvest

Edited by - floop on 09/04/2006 18:03:33
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  22:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are some soft lookin' hands, Floop. :P

"No man remains quite what he was when he recognizes himself."
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  01:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good lookin' peppers though.

We've had a fairly decent tomato crop (I'm not sure what's good and what's not, not a lot to compare it too), and they're darn tasty. The chillies were good con carne as well.
The landlord came round at the weekend and wasn't too impressed that the Australian had ripped up the path. Fair enough. So, I get to construct a path now. My first foray into garden design: any tips?

Hail to the king, baby!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  21:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000
. So, I get to construct a path now. My first foray into garden design: any tips?

i would recommend putting in a jalapeņo garden

tonight i had grilled jalapeņo poppers with my burger.

slice jalapeņo in half, remove seeds (if you're a pussy)
stuff with cheese
put halves back together and wrap in strip of bacon
put toothpick through jalapeņo to hold together
grill approx 4 minutes each side

that's good eatin'

"i smoke 1 1\2 pack of marlboros a day and eat all animals including horse and porcupine."

Edited by - floop on 09/27/2006 21:22:10
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  02:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my first ever pepper

turning red now

the whole plant only has 4 peppers at the moment, it was planted quite late, beginning of June. it bugs me that the buds die off before they even develop or shortly after that... what's not working here?
i thought too much water, or maybe the soil is too rich (no sand), the pot too small... it also doesn't tolerate direct sunlight well, the leaves hang down and shrivel.

I'm thinking of planting something else next year, bigger yield, sturdy, the climate here is continental, temperature from spring to autumn mostly 20-30°C (70-90°F), the other limitation- this is an office plant. I'm looking for suggestions.

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  03:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice pic!

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  17:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished digging up the rest of the potatoes, taking in the last of the tomatoes, turning over the garden, re-positioning perrenials...basically putting the whole garden to bed for the winter. Sigh.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  12:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still having 85 degree weather here...

the habaneros are going crazy. my girlfriend says she refuses to eat them. all for me :)

of all the peppers we grew, i was most surprised by the anehims.. i had no idea how good they'd be. they've got a very deep, rich flavor, but still have some serious spice going on.. i didn't think they'd be that spicy. grilled some up stuffed with cheese and crab meat. going to make chile verde soon..
next year i'm going to plant more of these...

at least that's what your mom said

Edited by - floop on 10/22/2006 12:14:01
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  03:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you tell the difference in capsaicine content of different varieties? I only taste small amounts and I can't tell the difference between pods from two different plants (one with small long pods and one with cherry-like fruit). I think I'll try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville#Scoville_Organoleptic_Test

I did sense different flavour (one was sweeter) before the burning... other than that I'm like that guy from the chili contest story

found it -
Notes From An Inexperienced Chili Tester Named FRANK, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon, when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, So I accepted. Here are the scorecards from the event:
CHILI #1 MIKE'S MANIAC MOBSTER MONSTER -- CHILI JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick. JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild. FRANK: Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!
CHILI #2 ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI -- JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang. JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously. FRANK: Keep this out of the reach of children I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich Maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
CHILI #3 FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI -- JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans. JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers. FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now, get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-faced from all the beer.
CHILI #4 BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC -- JUDGE ONE: Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing. JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili. FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it, is it possible to burnout taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300lb. barmaid is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?
CHILI #5 LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER -- JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very Impressive. JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement. FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage, Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off? It really makes me mad that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. To heck with those rednecks!
CHILI #6 VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY -- JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers. JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb. FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I shit my pants when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!
CHILI #7 SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI -- JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers. JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge Number 3, He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably. FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it's made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
CHILI #8 LESTER'S LAST OF THE RED-HOT LOVER'S CHILI -- JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare it's existence. JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself.

-----
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  04:10:36  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They had a chilli heat science type test on Gardener's World the other day. I know, I'm cool enough to watch it. Anyway, top standard-type chilli is the Dorset Naga, followed by Jamaican Red Hot, then Orange Habanero, then Scotch Bonnet. Mmm, chilli.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  14:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
habanero harvest #1

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath
I'm thinking of planting something else next year, bigger yield, sturdy, the climate here is continental, temperature from spring to autumn mostly 20-30°C (70-90°F), the other limitation- this is an office plant. I'm looking for suggestions.

hey tisasawath, i'm no pepper expert. this is my first time and we kind of lucked out. some did not do as well as others. and some of them we made adjustments.. from what i've read, peppers like early morning to mid-day sun. if your peppers are in the sun all day it might be too much.

also overwatering can be bad. some (plastic) pots we had that seemed to keep the moisture in too long were bad for our peppers. for some reason these glazed clay pots were the best. but the ones we have in the ground are the happiest..

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  12:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's Christmas time

picked the rest of our peppers today (except some we saved some poblanos for chile rellenos). going to make tortilla soup and try to make some hot sauce. it's been nice having unlimited free delicious peppers this year. next year: more anaheim chiles.

Edited by - floop on 12/17/2006 12:38:26
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice spread.

A frost has finally killed our tomato plants, but we managed to still have rippening in December. Overall it was a so-so year in the garden. The small tomato plants were again champions. Lots of cherry and grape tomatoes. However, the bigger tomatoes were sparse and I learned that I'm not a big fan of Roma or Pink Brandywine tomatoes. I'll have to scout out some better varities next spring. The zuchini were also sparse with me having to hand pollinate them.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  21:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the hot sauce came out fucking great. a green one and a red one. it's so hot

hot sauce is so hot right now
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  00:31:23  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so jealous of your pepper crop. And you're making chile rellenos... argh
What's the name of the red ones at the bottom of the pic?

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  00:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny how the habaneros have the most innocent look of the lot

I dried mine (the last are still on the plant, just turning darker red now) and put them in a jar of olive oil, but that just seems to have really killed the heat. I knew that capsaicin dissolves in oil, but I didn't know it would also..trap the stuff.
For next year I have some jalapeno seeds and some tabasco hybrids.

-----
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  07:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I'm so jealous of your pepper crop. And you're making chile rellenos... argh
What's the name of the red ones at the bottom of the pic?

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

they're Cascabella peppers (i think they're also called Hungarian wax peppers).. they're usually yellow but turn red later in the season. they're the spicy ones they serve at mexican restaurants with carrots and radishes.

just had some of our hot sauce with my eggs. i'm going to be depressed when that stuff is gone. man it's soooo good. we used lime from our tree too. all ingredients from our garden (well mostly) ..

i don't think i mentioned that we ended up making habanero jelly with our habaneros. i'm torn between giving some out for Christmas or horading it all for myself

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  09:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd hoard, yea baby hoard!

Oh and by the way, I hate you!

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone... I am new to this thread. have some bulbs and other plants in the ground since late Sept. and hope they actually come up this spring...

I got a seed catalogue today and thought I would ask the experts...anyone know of a good (hopefully cheap) place to get seeds / plants of fruits and veggies...??

thanks
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  00:17:00  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look around town.

Otherwise, Johnny's Selected Seeds has a pretty good catalog.

*The bugger in the short sleeves fucked my wife.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  01:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking at those pictures of my peppers is really making me look forward to this season..
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  20:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks obw
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  08:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floop, when do you plant your peppers?

Grand Marnier and a pocketful of speed. We did it all day until we started to bleed.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  09:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for reminding me. i guess it's about that time. i think last year we planted some in March/April but most of the seedlings went down because there were some cold nights. but, we left them outside. i think this year we're going to leave them inside while they're sprouting..

the second batch we planted in April went insane though.. they love hot weather.

also, we kept most of our potted pepper plants from last year. my girlfriend insists that they'll grow peppers but i'm not sure..

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  10:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How quickly did the second batch sprout?

Grand Marnier and a pocketful of speed. We did it all day until we started to bleed.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  20:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
real quick

Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  05:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm just starting a few jalapenos indoors and it took them 10 days

-----

Edited by - tisasawath on 03/21/2007 05:21:01
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  05:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you maintain a certain temperature for them, or is room-temperature good enough? The pepper seeds I bought said they need to be 80 degrees (F).

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
80 is probably even better, but i think as long as they don't get cold they're ok. ideally, you want to have them exposed to morning and mid-day sun. not all day direct exposure. (although i guess when they're seeds the more the better)

i think i'm going to wait till April to sprout mine, to play it safe . but now you guys are making me eager

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I think I'll wait too, seeing as it snowed here yesterday!

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  07:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
poor Carolynanna :(

i'll send you some of my peppers when they start growing (in a few weeks)

Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Do you maintain a certain temperature for them, or is room-temperature good enough? The pepper seeds I bought said they need to be 80 degrees (F).

there's heating, so it's something above 20°c in the room, probably around 25 where the pots are. oh, and floop's suggestion with the clay pots instead of plastic ones makes quite a difference. the plastic retains the water too much which kills them and the clay drains it and makes it evaporate visibly quicker

also check how this guy cares for his peppers

can't wait till they start producing
we should have a "my harvest is bigger than yours" competition then

it snowed here too two days ago, on the other side of the window

-----
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  01:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

we should have a "my harvest is bigger than yours" competition then

http://www.thechileman.org/bigjim.php
it looks like there are some from the northern hemisphere already growing pods as well, maybe i could start earlier next year

a guy teabagging his seeds
http://www.thechileman.org/guide_starting.php

-----
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000