Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  18:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been hand-pollinating my zuchinni most the summer because not much fruit was happening. I just yank off the pistil (or is it stamen) off the male flowers and rub them around in the female flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2006 :  18:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And did it work darwin?
I haven't had much fruit on my zuchini plants either and I was totally convinced that perhaps they don't belong in that hot sunroom.

Hey apl! Nice to see you around these parts
Forgive my ignorance but can you dumb it down for me a little???
I'm painting what on the whonow?

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  01:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It works well. I didn't know this until this year: the female flowers are the ones on the ends of small undeveloped zuchinis and the male flowers are on long stalks. Just reach into the male flowers and snap off those things covered with pollen (pistils?) and then rub it around on the structures (stamen?) in the middle of the female flowers. Maybe 4 or 5 days later you'll have a medium sized zuchini.

I don't always have one of each kind of flower, so no zuchinis. For awhile it seemed like I had alot of female flowers and no male flowers, but the circumstances work out once in awhile.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  06:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it's interesting that you would have to do that. If you're growing in a greenhouse it would make sense, but judging by your pictures, Darwin, isn't yours an outdoor garden? Do you not get any bees over there? Pretty much anything that flowers attracts bees, in my experience, but if you're having a lot of trouble with that, you might plant some sunflowers. The bees simply LOVE those things. You plant just one sunflower and they'll be coming over there by the dozens.

¡Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  12:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is outdoors. I don't see alot of bees, but this area typically has a fair number of pollinators. The way the garden is set right now I have 6 tomato plants and the one zuchini. I don't think tomatoes attract many pollinators (and I don't think they need pollinators, just some gentle shaking like from the wind to pollinate). So, you may be right that pollinators don't have much reason to be in the area to visit the zuchinis. Also, the flowers are often buried under a canopy of leaves. However, with the hand-pollinating we're getting plenty of zuchini. The kids are cooling on raw zuchini.

One thing I do see alot of is spiders. My garden is covered with them. Each evening they put up huge webs. Other than walking face first into the webs, they're pretty cool to watch.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  14:50:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

And did it work darwin?
I haven't had much fruit on my zuchini plants either and I was totally convinced that perhaps they don't belong in that hot sunroom.

Hey apl! Nice to see you around these parts
Forgive my ignorance but can you dumb it down for me a little???
I'm painting what on the whonow?

hehe

well, I don't know if I'm giving good advice, but at least I muddle it up good.
I think with your pepper plants at least, if they are still flowering, just get a small soft paintbrush and wiggle it around gently in all the flowers you can find. Like a drunken honeybee with beer goggles. Should still do the trick.

and thanks, it's good to be back around these parts.

oh, and for full disclosure, I don't even have a garden this year. So I'm in here in a purley voyeuristic capacity.

Edited by - apl4eris on 07/23/2006 14:52:41
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  17:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

I've been hand-pollinating my zuchinni most the summer because not much fruit was happening. I just yank off the pistil (or is it stamen) off the male flowers and rub them around in the female flowers.

you seem to know a lot about hand-pollinating

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  22:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have two kids and a steady supply of zuchinis.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  23:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm just sayin'

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  12:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally have pictures of our garden! Except.....pictures still on camera at home and I am at work. Soon though...

We have zuchinis coming out of our ears! This weekend I tried to make use of them and made potato and zucchini latkes (found an awesome and healthy recipe in the recent Eating Well mag. issue). They were just yummy with sour cream! We also have green peppers ready (early this year due to the ultra hot weather we have been having. And of course our tomatoes are now ripening on a daily basis. Looks like I will be canning even more of them this year.
Go to Top of Page

missyanne64
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  19:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodsSon

Hmm, it's interesting that you would have to do that. If you're growing in a greenhouse it would make sense, but judging by your pictures, Darwin, isn't yours an outdoor garden? Do you not get any bees over there? Pretty much anything that flowers attracts bees, in my experience, but if you're having a lot of trouble with that, you might plant some sunflowers. The bees simply LOVE those things. You plant just one sunflower and they'll be coming over there by the dozens.

�Viva los Cat�licos!

some times the male and female flowers are not in sync with each other which is what is happening to mine...the males open but no females to pollinate with or without bees. I finally have one summer squash growing.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  10:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some kind of animal (raccoon, I presume) just ate one of my cantaloupes! I'm pissed off! That was one of only three, and it was not far from being ready to harvest. And on top of that, out of the two watermelons I've got, one of them just rotted on the vine. I may have to try that hand pollinating, because my two watermelon plants have tons of blooms, but none them are going to fruit.

¡Viva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

El Loco
- FB Fan -

206 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2006 :  10:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife just bought a jalapeno plant. I likey
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  09:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alrighty, finally got my act together and have a few pics from the garden.

I can't believe how early our peppers are coming in this year!
[URL=http://server4.pictiger.com/img/456176/picture-hosting/banana-pepper.php][/URL]

[URL=http://server3.pictiger.com/img/442961/picture-hosting/green-pepper.php][/URL]
This year I am trying something very new to me, Jerusalem Artichokes. They are a tuber and they won't be ready until fall when the stalks die back.

[URL=http://server5.pictiger.com/img/454290/picture-hosting/jeru-artichokes.php][/URL]

Sugar Baby Watermelon.
[URL=http://server4.pictiger.com/img/456183/picture-hosting/sugar-baby.php][/URL]

Zuccini
[URL=http://server3.pictiger.com/img/442980/picture-hosting/zuccini.php][/URL]

And finally our wall of tomato plants.
[URL=http://server5.pictiger.com/img/454308/picture-hosting/tomato-plants.php][/URL]

Go to Top of Page

missyanne64
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

[URL=http://server4.pictiger.com/img/456176/picture-hosting/banana-pepper.php][/URL]

[URL=http://server3.pictiger.com/img/442961/picture-hosting/green-pepper.php][/URL]
This year I am trying something very new to me, Jerusalem Artichokes. They are a tuber and they won't be ready until fall when the stalks die back.

[URL=http://server5.pictiger.com/img/454290/picture-hosting/jeru-artichokes.php][/URL]

Sugar Baby Watermelon.
[URL=http://server4.pictiger.com/img/456183/picture-hosting/sugar-baby.php][/URL]

Zuccini
[URL=http://server3.pictiger.com/img/442980/picture-hosting/zuccini.php][/URL]

And finally our wall of tomato plants.
[URL=http://server5.pictiger.com/img/454308/picture-hosting/tomato-plants.php][/URL]

great job my stuff is all finally taking off too..do you have a hard time harvesting your tomatoes all together like that?...mine are all staked up.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Missy,
did you come to fb.net just for the gardening thread?
Just curious.

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  10:50:44  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

If you put "" around the link after url= it won't show the long link.

Your garden looks great!

"You're not too big to go over my knee young man"

Edited by - starmekitten on 07/27/2006 10:51:21
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by missyanne64

great job my stuff is all finally taking off too..do you have a hard time harvesting your tomatoes all together like that?...mine are all staked up.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip about posting pics Tre! I was wondering how to make that look better.

The pic of the tomatoes are at a weird angle. They are actually all in cages and spaced enough apart so I can walk between them. We also tried a new trick this year you also can't see. We put a long weed mat down and then cut a hole in it for each plant. Last year it was very difficult to weed around and under them because they are in virgin soil and everything goes huge and fast. So far I am just loving the weed mat. We may cover almost our entire garden with it next year.

Edited by - mosleyk on 07/27/2006 11:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those weed mats sound awesome,
I'll have to look for them.

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weed mat we used was left over from when we built another greenhouse for our nursery. I am pretty sure if you look into any sort of greenhouse supply store in your area they would have it.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you help again Tre! Let's see if I can post a pic properly. peppers again.....

Edited by - mosleyk on 07/27/2006 12:00:32
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  11:54:19  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just lose the spaces around the img tags.

[ img ]http://images5.pictiger.com/thumbs/b6/69f5c43b40c80f7d44f7dde5e37b03b6.th.jpg[ /img ]

*Release the bats!
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  12:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It worked! Thanks obfuscateby!
Go to Top of Page

missyanne64
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  19:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Missy,
Just curious.

yes
Go to Top of Page

missyanne64
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2006 :  19:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by missyanne64

quote:

Hey Missy,
Just curious.

yes

i confess my ignorance....who is frank black? this thread popped up through my search engine
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heehee, that's hilarious!
Break out the adopt a noob thread tre!

El Loco
- FB Fan -

206 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  07:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's mean, why would you hurt the n00bs?
Go to Top of Page

missyanne64
- FB Fan -

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  09:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe you can enlighten me....what kind of music is it ....you never know i might like it...but i am really interested in gardening advice as this is my first garden. I was researching hot peppers and when to harvest them. My brother in law planted a bunch of seedlings that he did not label..gave them to me and as they start to grow I am trying to figure out what they are...so far i have hibenieros,cheyenne and banana peppers. I still have about five plants with blossums but can't tell what they are yet.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Missy! If you are interested in checking out the sounds of Frank Black. I would suggest downloading one of the FB.net podcasts. There is even a podcast for "newbies" There is a link to them from this sites homepage.

As for your peppers the first harvest is usually 75-90 days from transplanting depending on your climate. Harvesting can last into fall until the first frost (again depending on your climate)As for your plants...without seeing them I would have no idea what they are. Even with pictures it can be tough, so you might have to wait until they produce.

Hope some of this was helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a cool opportunity.
That would be awesome if missy started to like fb!

Here's the link to the podcast page;
http://www.frankblack.net/podcast/

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  10:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope she checks out one of the podcasts. How perfect there is a "newbie" one, huh?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2006 :  11:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a gardening section on the podcast?

There could also be a religious hour, and review of tommorows papers at the end! ;)

Join the Cult Of Pob! And don't forget to listen to the Pobcast!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  13:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
peppers are getting out of control

some of the jalapeños:

(the white cat scratched me)

cubanelle

cascabella buds

anaheim chiles

anyone want some peppers?

"i own Mailbu."

Edited by - floop on 08/05/2006 13:40:15
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  17:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just pulled 4 tomato hornworms off my plants (one was huge, maybe 3 inches). I knew to look for them because we had them last year and I noticed their farass on the plants and one the ground.

The cherry and grape tomato plants each have been producing about 10 ripe tomatoes per day. My larger tomatoes are suffering. I may have overwatered the Park's Whooper and underwatered the Beefsteak. The Pink Brandywine is getting big and has a few big fruits. Unfortunately I keep going on week long vacations and have to count on my neighbors for watering and picking.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  15:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice lookin peppers floop.

I've got spider mites in the greenhouse!

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000