Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  08:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some of my tulips have started to sprout up... hopefully should have some photos in a few weeks...

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  12:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Do you maintain a certain temperature for them, or is room-temperature good enough? The pepper seeds I bought said they need to be 80 degrees (F).

there's heating, so it's something above 20°c in the room, probably around 25 where the pots are. oh, and floop's suggestion with the clay pots instead of plastic ones makes quite a difference. the plastic retains the water too much which kills them and the clay drains it and makes it evaporate visibly quicker

also check how this guy cares for his peppers

can't wait till they start producing
we should have a "my harvest is bigger than yours" competition then

it snowed here too two days ago, on the other side of the window

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !

wow, that guy is out of control. it's nice to see there are people out there more obsessed with peppers than me..

hey tisaworth, where exactly do you live?

i did some research on peppers being perennials. apparently they will continue to produce year after year, but the 2nd year is usually the best, then they start dropping in productivity. we saved about 10 of our plants from last year, and i just noticed one of them already has a decent sized jalapeno on it

some day i want to go the the chile roasting festival in new mexcio (in september).. maybe this year

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  07:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so that's how some people have their crop already at the start of the season

<-- i live there, the climate in the sub-alpine region isn't really pepper paradise, but if that guy can grow Central African varieties in Finland, then i can at least try

hey Daisy, tulips, great! what sort of flavour are they? will they be for fresh consumption or pickled? (dried?)

-----
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  21:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring is well past sprung here and I've started to get the garden going. As usual I'm mainly going for tomatoes. I've got 6 plants planted and maybe have room for 1 or 2 more. So far I have for small tomatoes a large cherry tomato plant, a grape tomato plant, and 1 Juliet tomato plant (I never tried this one). Last year the our grape tomato plant gave us at least 200 tomatoes for snacks, salads, and dinners. For big tomatoes, I have an Early Girl (which worked really well 2 years ago), a Best Boy (never tried), and a Celebrity. Last year my big tomatoes were largely a bust. The Beefsteak was killed by the heat and the Brandywine was pretty but didn't produce much. Two other plant gave a few tomatoes.

This year I'm going to try pruning the plants more and see if that leads to more fruit. In the past the plants have grown like crazy; exceeding the cages and lying on top of each other. This year I have some tomato ladders my mom gave me for my birthday, which are taller and sturdier than cages. I've read that plucking off the "suckers" (the little branches that grow at the base of big branches) helps limit the plant growth and produce more fruit.

Other crops: I've planted a zucchini. This year I'm going to try planting some flower near it so that I can hopefully skip the hand pollinating. I also have a number of basil seeds sprouting and I bought a cilantro (corriander) to grow and pick from for awhile before it bolts. And, finally I think I might grow some pole beans. That worked pretty well 2 years ago.

Trees: our plum tree looks pretty good. A couple of weeks ago we had some big winds that knocked off a bunch of the fruit. But, in the end that thinning will probably mean better plums. It doesn't look like a big year from our loquat tree, but there will be a few. We have a sad looking peach tree that should really be chopped down, but it's got some peaches growing (but in the past those have been hit or miss as fair as taste and texture).
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  00:21:18  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got my garden up-and-running, too.

Not really going for anything special this year. Just tomatoes, beans, eggplant, squash, bell peppers and okra.

Actually, I think I've planted more flowers in my veggie garden than veggies.

-

Audobon magazine had an article about Bee Gardens recently. Pretty patch of color and beneficial to all.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  01:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're on the move now as well. I now have a tiny greenhouse. Well, I say tiny, it's about 6' tall but narrow and shallow. So, we're growing tomatoes from seed which we couldn't do before, and chillis and peppers.

We also have: onions, spring onions, squash, pumpkin and tons of herbs planted up, and some flowers as well. We've finally got a complete fence around the garden (long story), so we can go nuts now. Coolio.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  02:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ObfuscateByWill
Audobon magazine had an article about Bee Gardens recently. Pretty patch of color and beneficial to all.

one of my teachers raised bumblebees - apparently they are much better pollinators than bees

-----
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  02:20:58  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't have a garden, just a balcony. we're growing parsley, tarragon, chives, rocket and dill and they're all still babies. stuff doesn't exactly shoot up in ireland in the shade....
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  04:19:37  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our garden is going to be the best. Do you hear? The BEST.

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  04:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am finally going to dabble in a spot of gardening this weekend. My family all have green fingers (we own several allotments), but it has never really interested me before.

Having moved into a new flat with a huge balcony, at least now I can give it a go. Aside from some plants, we are going to grow some veg. Not sure exactly what yet, but various peppers for sure.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  04:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grow chillis, join the contest.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  05:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh chillis will be the first peppers we grow. Love 'em.

How can I compete though, I live up north where there is no sun?

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 05/01/2007 05:05:11
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  08:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm going to have the most sexy garden of all.

this year we planted a Chocolate Beauty pepper (know what i mean?) as well as a Hot Asian Peppers (that's what i'm talking about). we also got a few Scotch Bonnett plants, and, for kicks, some Red Savinas (formerly the hottest pepper in the world). plus more Anaheims and Jalapenos than last year. i also got an Asian on Asian pepper and a Scotch Cheerleader, which are illegal in 49 US states.

some day i'm going to plant these: the Holy Grail of hot peppers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

Edited by - floop on 05/01/2007 08:45:56
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:16:09  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in an apartment so I can't have a garden. I LOVE tomatoes and was wondering if anyone has tried growing any it a big flower pot or a big tub of some sort. I thought I might could try the little cherry tomatoes if a big tomato plant would not work. It would have direct sunlight from sunrise until about 2 or 3. Has anyone tried growing tomatoes this way?

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've grown cherry tomatoes in a half barrel. It can definitely be done. People who live in areas with bad soil do it often. The key might be picking a variety that has determinant growth (so it stops growing) rather than an indeterminant growth variety which might get too big for the pot
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  16:33:34  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will the determinant growth variety keep producing as long as I keep picking the cherry tomatoes?

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  19:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you google for "tomato" and "container" there's a bunch of good advice out there on varities.

I think many cherry tomatoes are determinants growers and great for containers. You may need stakes or a cage to support it.

Also, in my opinion starting from tomato seeds isn't worth the hassle unless you're want a bunch of the same variety, want a challenge, or want an obscure variety. You can buy a single plant for cheap ($1.50 to $3.00).

Edited by - darwin on 05/01/2007 19:38:36
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  01:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right about tomato seeds, I'm sure. I'm pretty much a rank amateur in these things, so I'm just seeing if it's even possible for me...

Plus there's something nice about seeing things grow from seed. It's really exciting.

I'm getting old...

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  04:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah we are gonna grow cherry tomatos too.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2007 :  21:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a nice sized garden lined up. i'm kind of worried because i'm going to be going away right around the time they'll be ripening. but hopefully the person i get to take care of our place will water properly and when i get back they'll still be alive.
i planted a bunch of these today http://www.biadchili.com/numex-joe-parker.htm
also planted some of these, for kicks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_savina formerly the hottest pepper in the world, recently surpassed by the Naga Jolokia.
how's everyone's garden going?

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  03:09:41  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We spent a fortune in the garden centre and an age in the garden and it's really coming together. The fences are rebuilt now which is awesome. Comparing how it was when we moved in to how it is right now is almost unbelievable. Simone terms it an experimental garden because quite honestly, we have no clue what we are doing, but I'm proud of it. We have red onions, red spring onions, butternut squash, pumpkin, parsnips, peppers, chilli peppers, sage, coriander, tarragon, rosemary, chives, basil, lemon something or other... yesterday we planted petunias, marigolds, violas, sunflowers and sweet peas. Also, strawberry, cranberry and blueberry. There's some very funky hanging baskets and big pots on the patio, fancy chocolate sage and a fast spreading clematis that's flowering pretty little white flowers. The front garden has some impressive looking orange roses. Still to plant we have tomato, many many tomato, and peas and fancy coloured red beans. I'll see if I can get Simone to post some pictures.

This is my favourite of the new plants though (not the actual one we have):

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  19:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really cool about hearing about everyone's gardens. I would love to see some pics if you guys have a chance. I am sorry for being so lazy and not posting any photos yet.

As far as the gardening "scene" goes...still a newbie and getting my feet wet. We had a cold snap that was also really bad for our tulips. There was also a little surprise where tulips came up where they didn't last year.... kinda messed up my blue and white theme...and am putting off having to dig them up...the good news is the scilla came up the grape irises are up now as well as some tulips...

I prepped the vegetable garden this weekend and will plant when I get the seeds this week. This is my first veggie garden so I am just going to plant seeds in the ground and hope they grow up. Right now I am getting seeds of tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, mint, giant pumpkins, snap peas, green beans, cucumbers...anyone have any advice on growing any of these? I have heard you want to plant in rows going east to west and plant the basil next to the tomatoes, but that's all I know...

bluefinger

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 05/06/2007 20:09:05
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  05:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Behold!! Our new fruit cage:-

Payback period on investment - 78 years

Content - raspberries, strawberries, black, red and white currents, blueberries, cherry trees x 2, cranberry x 1, blackberries

Almost there after several weeks of toil. Netting to go on, doors to be put in place and then, hopefully, a splendid harvest will materialise.

Edited by - bedrock_barney on 05/08/2007 11:19:28
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  06:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! You sure take your gardening serious.

Are you into jelly-cooking?
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  07:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most certainly enjoy jam making. Made some cracking damson jam last year.

My aching muscles tell me that we are taking it seriously!!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  05:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey floop, I bought some Californian Wonder Peppers at the weekend. You know anything about them?

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  07:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

Hey floop, I bought some Californian Wonder Peppers at the weekend. You know anything about them?

those are illegal here.

just kidding. yeah, those are bell peppers. not spicy, but good in lots of stuff

Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

783 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  09:31:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

office plantation; front row- tabasco hybrids, middle- unknown variety (should be 2' high, 1-2'' pods with thick skin), in the back- jalapenos
they're very social as you can see, i hope they like each other's tight company when they grow still

this one plant (the unknown variety) got its roots torn off at repotting but held on anyway and then went crazy, it's just started flowering. it shares the pot with another plant- a persimmon, maybe that's the trick

-----
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  10:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, those look really nice tisasawath. very healthy looking! are you going to leave those plants in the same pot like that? i would never have thought you could do that, but maybe i'm planting mine to far apart and i could have more plants!

Do you think Bluefinger was intended to be a Pixies album?
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  10:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah, you better space them out.
Too close and they'll be competing for space and nutrients.
The yield will be poor because of that.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's a question for you gardening gurus. what if i have one plant that's actually 2 plants, really close together. like, too close to be separated.. do i need to sacrifice one of them so the other will live, or can they both live and then i'll get even more peppers?

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sacrifice, I think. You could try replanting the plant you pull out.

This morning I discovered I have green tomatoes on my Juliet plant.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't think i can pull it out without pulling out both. i think i'd have to chop it off, which i don't have the heart to do. every pepper plant deserves the chance to live

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way (but not about peppers). That's why I make myself do it early before they get big and it becomes harder to make myself do it.
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thinned out our peach tree.

But you do get significantly better growth because of it. Only the best looking specimens survive the cull.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000