Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  21:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freaking sparrows ate every last pea plant.

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  22:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mockingbirds got my peaches this year. i think they're eyeing my grapes, too.

grrrr....
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  11:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just taking in the rest of the harvest as its about that time, starting to get cold.

Makes me wonder how stuff at the grocery store looks so perfect.
I have alot of unique looking vegetables.

This one is my fave;

It looks like a nose!

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  12:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're finally getting beans. The pole bean plants have been huge all summer with many flowers, but only now are they making beans (pretty tasty). I think I may not have been watering enough.

Then our zuchini plant is the same thing. Huge plant, very little vaggies.

Then tomatoes. We've had 6 plants this summer. One plant is huge. Huge! And hasproduced many Juliet tomatoes. 100?

Another 3 have produce some. And then 2 (Box Car Willie and a Beefstake) have grown but haven't given us any tomatoes.

I think we still have another month, maybe 2.

Any winter planting? I'm thinking about brocolli or lettuce.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  12:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winter planting?
Maybe you can do that in Cost Rica,
doesn't work in Edmonton I'd bet.

1 plant gave you 100 tomatoes? Cripes!

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  13:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, without that plant this summer would've been very disappointing.

The bean plants and that particular tomato plant have combined into a huge wall of plant. I think they're holding each other up.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  13:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread reminds me that this is the time of year where people in my little town start locking their cars when they go downtown, lest they return and find some "kind" friend has unloaded four dozen zuchinni or three bushels of tomatoes in their backseat.

Life's dangerous out here in the country.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  13:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hee, that'd be cool K.
But I know what you mean. I still have a bagazillion cucumbers and I can't eat another.
I'll trade some cucs for beans darwin.

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  13:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good and in the middle of the winter I'll send you some lettuce.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  19:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring is finally here (well, almost)! How are those garden's coming along? I'm a little late starting this year. Tomorrow I plan on completely changing the layout from last year's garden (which failed miserably!) and trying out the square foot thing. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have the garden constructed and be ready to do some planting. I've got a question for those of you that are more knowledgeable on the subject. I plan on planting some fruit trees--a couple of figs, pears, and cherries. I've been doing my research, and from what I've read, the sour cherry varieties seem to be the easiest to grow and, with a few exceptions, don't require cross-pollination. Anyways, since I'm not big on cherry pies, I really want a good sweet cherry that I can pick right off the tree and eat. Is the flavour of a sour cherry really all that different from a sweet cherry? Are there any varieties of sour cherries that are more on the sweet side than others? Also, for the pears, do Moonglow pears taste any good? I'm a big Bartlett and Comice-lover myself but can't grow the Bartlett down here in Georgia because of the whole fire blight thing, so I'm looking at doing a Moonglow and Starking Delicious (dwarf sizes). Does anyone have any better suggestions for something that will be closer in flavour to the Bartlett and disease-resistant? Good luck with the gardens!

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  15:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm growing peppers

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.” - General George S. Patton
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  18:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little early for that over here. I'll transplant the tomatoes and peppers around the 15th. I can't wait for some decent tomatoes! The ones in the store are, as always, essentially inedible.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  19:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine are still sprouting. it's my first time growing anything.. i got jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, cubanelle, anaheim chile, sweet bananna, habanero, and cascabella peppers.

might have to give some away if all these sprouts live. got a farm going here

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.” - General George S. Patton
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  00:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha, I need two shovels to access the earth at this point. Snow and then dirt. And the dirt's still frozen. But we've been having warm weather all week and it even rained today, so what few people aren't killed on the roads tonight will be enjoying a quick fade of snow soon, I hope.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  10:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love is in the air

Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  01:01:21  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My backyard is full of freakin' squirrels and rabbits.

They are leaving my garden alone, though. I think that as along as a keep my birdfeers and little peanut trays fairly full, I'll be OK.

-

Strawberries are good this year. About 2-4 cups every day.

*Release the bats!

Edited by - ObfuscateByWill on 05/26/2006 01:01:53
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  01:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can contribute to this thread now, it's pretty exciting...
Our new house has a little garden (which requires bandsaw + scythe action, apparently), but it has great potential. The front has lobelia, irises and a rose already, and the back, although kind of overgrown, has a few good looking shrubs in.

We're going to put in some potatoes and things, and we already have a bird feeder in place - we're working on the fat-ball. We also just had a composter delivered by the council, complete with little kitchen scraps bin and humungous, dalek-esque compost bin. Sweet.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2006 :  06:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The garden is coming along nicely over here. The squash and cukes are beginning to come in by the dozens (and surpriseingly, I've managed to eat--and juice--every single one of them so far!) and the tomatoes are nice and big (I'm guessing they'll begin to ripen within two to three weeks). I finally got around to planting the beans last week. I've harvested a good bit of broccoli, while all of my cauliflower has turned to shit. I'm not sure if I waited too long to harvest it or if it's because I never tied the leaves over the head.

I need some advice. Should I let my peppers ripen or just go ahead and pick them green? I've got about five bell pepper plants and two bananna peppers, and at the moment I'm thinking I might just let the bells ripen and eat the unripe banannas.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  07:51:09  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Advices please!

Is it ok to grow herbs and things in hanging baskets? I have a couple of smallish wicker hanging baskets that I just bought and want to grow things like thyme and rosemary in them. But seeing as the baskets were so cheap if I can figure out where to hang more of them I might grow more stuff (Suggestions welcome). I was going to plant mint out in the garden when we clear the back of it (weeds bigger than me, seriously) but mint goes mental doesn't it so would that be better contained?

Also, can anyone settle a dispute? I reckon you don't actually need a greenhouse to grow tomatoes and someone thinks you do...

forum ebook: end of miles
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  08:20:12  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our plums were stolen by French people. Mint you can do contained too, keep it outside but in shade.

--

Gravy boat! Stay in the now!
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  08:20:53  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And termaters you can grow nicely under a pane of glass, no greenhouse necessary.

--

Gravy boat! Stay in the now!
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  08:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the hanging baskets. I mean, yeah, you could grow some herbs in them for sure, but rosemary will get BIG and I've never grown thyme, so I don't know. If you plant mint, definitely contain it. I've got mint growing all over my yard, which is fine with me because I use a TON of it for juicing, but if you just want a little mint for the smell of it or to use it every now and then in cooking or something, you need to contain it in some way. What I do with my bee balm, which is much the same in the way it grows is put it in a container and plant the container in the ground. I imagine that would be fine for mint.

And I don't know if that's some kind of joke, but of course you don't need a greenhouse to grow tomatoes (unless you want to grow them during the winter)! For the best tasting tomatoes, grow them outdoors in the hot summer sun. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing better on the face of this earth than a home grown, vine-ripened tomato. The stuff at the grocery store is literally shit compared to it, even during the summer. By the way, I just noticed yesterday that I have three grape tomatoes ripening! It looks like I'll be eating them sooner than I expected, but the big fat juicy ones probably won't ripen for another couple of weeks.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  09:22:35  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My dad said for mint the best thing to do is plant it in the ground in a bucket with the bottom off. Same for rhubarb which I will *so* be putting in. I don't think we'll use a ton of mint, just for the odd cooking thing. The reason I wanted to do it in hanging baskets is there isn't a whole lot of space in our garden. The plantable bit is only smallish and there is a fair whack of slimy concrete as well (which I've been scrubbing this afternoon). Because it's a rented house we can't really change that, I don't think the estate agents would mind but it's too much for somewhere we're going to leave one day. So the more ace things we can plant in pots and baskets and cover the ugly bit of the yard with the better. I have a great little strawberry going at the moment. The front garden is done and is floral (as mentioned before, irises (which I planted from bulb and are shooting lovely and am so pleased with), lobelia and roses) but I think we're going more practical, more 'the good life', with the back garden.

There's a strip-o-space between the shed and the bathroom for some reason and it was totally overgrown with these massive weeds. They must have been seven foot tall. I've just cleared it AND there were spiders which I was pretty darn terrified of so am feeling all gung ho gardeny at the moment.

It certainly wasn't a joke! I'm not a big fan of tomatoes but don't mind home grown ones so wanted to try some in the garden. Some fool told me you couldn't grow them without a greenhouse. I shall mock them when they come home with the pointing and the tutting and the saying fool under my breath.

What's bee balm? and I'm sorry about your, er, plums Owen. Trust the french!

Edited by - starmekitten on 05/28/2006 09:24:01
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  09:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tre, he probably lives somewhere a bit hotter than england...

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  09:41:07  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still feel like I've won something here, don't take that away from me Steve!

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  10:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't know what the climate is like in England. Over here it usually hovers around ninety (F) during the summer. As ong as it's pretty hot during the summertime and you've got lots of sun, you should have no problem growing tomatoes outdoors. Bee balm is a flower, by the way, that blooms during the summer, and is useful for detering many garden pests and attracting hummingbirds. The only problem is it will take over your yard, much like mint.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  10:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As ong as it's pretty hot during the summertime and you've got lots of sun, you should have no problem growing tomatoes outdoors."

sorry tre

FAST_MAN  RAIDER_MAN - June 19th
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  10:26:09  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got beebalm growing my my wildflower beds. It hasn't gone crazy yet. It's new to my garden this year and I wasn't aware that it was so aggressive. I hope the competition between the different types of plants will keep it in check.

I'll be keeping an eye out for those guys now.

*Release the bats!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  11:46:01  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

"As ong as it's pretty hot during the summertime and you've got lots of sun, you should have no problem growing tomatoes outdoors."

sorry tre

You just couldn't let it lie could you. My one chance to be smug and you couldn't let it lie. I maintain that they *will* grow without a greenhouse and I'll be growing them just to prove it.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2006 :  23:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way as Nimrod. Garden veggies are nice, but homegrown tomatoes are what I care about. And they're what grows best where I live (it's regularly up around 100 and constant sunshine).

So, this year I've planted a zuchini plant (Aristrocrat, I think) and have around 10 basil plants going, but mainly it's tomatoes. I have 7 plants (a cherry, a grape, a sweet 100, a roma, a pink brandywine, a Park's whooper, and a beefsteak). I think everyone but the brandywine and the beefsteak already have tomatoes growing, but none have ripened. I can't wait for sandwiches and snacks with them. I'm a bit complusive with them; checking maybe twice a day on how the plants are doing (seeing if any new tomatoes have formed).

Our fruit trees are doing well; no thanks to us. The loquat tree is making good fruit. That may last a week more. The plum tree is full of green fruit. And the peach is dying. It might make a few peaches, but really we need to cut it down.
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  04:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have extra tomato plants now, it's going to be ace. I don't know what Tre's "someone" was thinking, they'll be fine.

I think we need to put out sunflowers in fairly soon - the spring has been late this year, so I reckon we're still OK, but I'll have to get onto it. Any ideas for other flowers that look good?

As for the veg, I think we've got potatoes, peppers, chilli peppers (they're so going to be better than floop's), tomatoes and herbs so far. Not sure what else to put in: onions, parsnips maybe, I don't know.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  08:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
read em and weep

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur

Edited by - floop on 05/31/2006 08:15:35
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Floop? Is that a recent photo? I would have thought for sure they would be bigger than that with your climate.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

Hey Floop? Is that a recent photo? I would have thought for sure they would be bigger than that with your climate.

Ouch!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  12:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

those are pictures of my recent second round of peppers (planted about a month ago)

the first ones i don't want to discuss

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000