Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  16:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 7 foot walnut tree that I raised from (you guessed it) a walnut. Next year I'm giving it to my friend to plant in his yard.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  16:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you planted the cherokee purple before? If so, what did you think? We planted a bunch of brandywines last year...and hated them! They got mushy too quick, and just didn't have the best flavor. Also thought of putting in some black krims.

Instead of Romas...have you tried the Juliets. They are early producers and have a nice crack resistant skin. (at least they do well in our area)
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  16:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For tomatoes - I think I planted an Early Girl, Sweet 100, Box Car Willie (no idea about that one, my daughter picked it), and what was suppose to some of kind of cherry but they're looking much bigger and longer.

I would like to get another Cherry and something big for sandwiches.

We also have a Loquait (sp?), plum, and peach trees. But, the Peach is probably dying and this seems to be a low year for the plum.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  16:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet 100 and Early Girl are nice! I don't think I have heard of a Box Car Willie Tomato either. That is awesome your daugher picked it out.

For a smaller tomato I would recommend sungold. They are about the size of a cherry, but orange and absolutely yummy. They are sweet and perfect for salads and just eating off the vine.

For Sandwiches....better boy or beefsteak all the way! Good performers and so meaty.

Man...I wish we had some fruit trees. Don't know much about them, so it would be fun to learn. I also really would like to put in some raspberry and blueberries.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  17:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know anything about fruit trees and I haven't done anything for them. I should probably fertilize them in late winter. They were here when we arrived.

Edited by - darwin on 06/03/2005 21:51:45
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  20:59:42  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys! I haven't been around lately but had to chime in, even though we had to forego our garden until this weekend. We are only doing carrots and beets this year, as we're hoping to be moving to another state soon and can't be worrying about a full season of crops. Very sad about it though.

I wanted to reitterate my offer to send our own beefsteak variety seeds to anyone interested. They're unique yellow, orange/red and swirl from SpudBoy's great (90-something year-old) uncle's farm in Eastern KY and are so sweet, delicious and virile. They grow like gangbusters and the seeds have come from organic stock from our garden last year. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send a dozen or more your way.

Congrats on the veggie garden, darwin! Box Car Willie sounds very cool. Hope it plays as well as its monicker.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  00:25:34  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can pick up the Box Car Willie variety at Lowes. (Southeastern VA)

I've also seen them in seed catalogs. Too lazy to go look for a description right now, though.

-

Yes, we've grown Cherokee Purple before. Yes, we like it.

I'll keep an eye out for Juliet seeds.

-

Gimmie some seeds, apl.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  00:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in the process of trying to turn my garden into something other than a patch of lawn full of weeds. Man is it hard work - the builders appear to have never bothered to get rid of their rubble so it's been some killer digging. At the moment I've been planting mostly herbs and flowers (mostly grown from seed) - don't know whether it's blind luck but so far everything has taken (I've only killed one lavender so far). I'm pretty much a gardening novice here. In South Africa I had my mom for advice and plant stealing, but here I'm not familiar with any of the plants so I reckon it's going to be pretty hit and miss. My knowledge is far from what everyone elses in this thread seems to be and gardening seems to be taken VERY seriously here in England. I'm wanting to start a veggie patch on one side of the garden/barren wasteland and not sure how to start it.

Did you all grow loads from seed and then thin out leaving you the strongest plants? How much do you grow - I'm wanting to try grow as much variety in as I can and to try to avoid the vegetable garden problem of so much of something you don't know what to do with it. (As a kid my brother and I had a massive tomato fight in our vegetable garden - my dad nearly killed us when all the seed grew into tomato plants - we were giving away carrier bags of tomatos to anyone who came near the farm for ages - the amount of tomatoes was ridiculous).
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  13:18:52  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I grow my veggies from seed.

I start them indoors. Have a little gro-light baby-greenhouse thing I made this spring.

If I think we want 3 tomato plants, I plant three tomato seeds and transplant when they look fairly hardy. I've never thinned anything out.

-

My dog it gnawing my corn stalks to the ground. WTF.

Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  10:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk
[br
Hey, what kind of flowers did you try to grow from seed? I swear that is the toughest. At our nursery we order most our flowers from plugs and then raise them to sell. Growing from seed is just too much work without enough profit (except for the vegetables...there are easy from seed).

I tried petunias and not one came up.
I got just a few nasturniums and morning glories.
None of my Lobelias came up either or Nicotinia.

I did grow Mimulus or Red Dragon from seed and they are all up, which is cool because its a perennial.

I had delphinium seeds from last year that also don't seem to be doing anything. I don't get it. I keep them misted. They're in a greenhouse. What the hell do they want from me?!

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  14:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk
[br
Hey, what kind of flowers did you try to grow from seed? I swear that is the toughest. At our nursery we order most our flowers from plugs and then raise them to sell. Growing from seed is just too much work without enough profit (except for the vegetables...there are easy from seed).

I tried petunias and not one came up.
I got just a few nasturniums and morning glories.
None of my Lobelias came up either or Nicotinia.

I did grow Mimulus or Red Dragon from seed and they are all up, which is cool because its a perennial.

I had delphinium seeds from last year that also don't seem to be doing anything. I don't get it. I keep them misted. They're in a greenhouse. What the hell do they want from me?!

Hey just popped online for a quick moment. Wow! You have great taste in flowers! We have several Nicotinia plants around the house now, and we sold them this year in the nursery. I admit I was skepical of them at first. I just knew very little about it to be honest. It is the coolest plant. They get to be about 3-4 feet tall and have nice white flowers. The strange thing is that the flowers only put out a scent in the morning and evening. The smell is wonderful! I love stepping out the front door in the morning on my way to work and getting a sweet swiff of them.

We did morning glories from seed last year with no problem....although the soil we put them in was probably at one time part of a cattle field, so it was really rich.

<cool husband just walked in....he is seed expert>...Had him read your thread. He wonders whether you have your seed trays on a heat mat? He says that best way to water is to put your seed tray in another tray...and just fill the bottom tray to water. That way the seed trays can soak up the water as needed. Make sense? He says to keep your heat mat at between 70-75 degrees at all times.

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  14:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tobafett

I've planned gardens for the last five years...sat down at the computer, drawn up schematics and blueprints of what/where to plant, when, etc and EVERY year, I have to go on travel during the time I would work on the garden so I end up with nothing. Just more lawn to mow back there:(

the grapes I planted are coming along nicely, though!

MAN are those grapes comin' on...the two vines i planted along the fence early last year are LOADED with the buggers. i'm gonna try my hand at making wine jelly:)

i planted an apricot tree and a cherry tree a few months ago...the cherry died but the apricot's ok...i pulled up the cherry and planted a pecan. A pecan tree i raised from a pecan i picked from a tree in my gramma's back yard that was planted the year i was born. i like that story.

i'm tryin' my hand at container plantin'...the garlic is growing like mad. the dill is limping along. the spearmint died.
oh well. i'll try lemon balm next.

Edited by - tobafett on 06/07/2005 14:46:05
Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  14:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I did have trouble getting my flowers I tried growing from seed to sprout. :(

me too damned daisies. i shouted at them the other day...Why can't you grown like the garlic right over there? IT'S doin' fine!

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  14:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never tried to plant anything except for some weird brain-flower looking thing when I was a kid. It was from this packet of seeds I begged my mom to buy for me. She said I would just neglect the poor plant. I promised her I wouldn't. She bought them and I planted them. A few weeks later, these flourescent two-toned brain things popped up out of the ground. I was amazed by their brilliance and disgusted by their shape. They looked like fucking brains. I quickly neglected them, and my mom was actually glad. She was worried by them too.

I was alone...in my BIG BED

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love those brain flowers!
I think you're talking about celosias.
I just discovered them last year.
I have some seeds leftover that maybe I'll try.
(with a mat and soaking in a separate pan for sure, thanks mosleyk:)

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  07:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love those brain flowers!
I think you're talking about celosias.
I just discovered them last year.
I have some seeds leftover that maybe I'll try.
(with a mat and soaking in a separate pan for sure, thanks mosleyk:)

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was it right transmarine?

And thanks again mosleyk :)
I like to plant some showy annuals between my perrenials.
And I wanted some trailing plants for baskets.
Yeah I love gardening, you can tell by my fingernails...

But can you help me with this one?
I just bought a gardenia for indoors because they smell so freaking nice.
It looked good,lots of new growth etc.
But now at home, alot of the leaves are turning yellow and mottled and falling off.
Is it just the new atmosphere?
I have it in a very bright location and have been keeping the soil moist.
Anyone have any ideas?

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes that was it. Ewwwwwwwwww.

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  08:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ack, they look cool though, don'tcha think?

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  10:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And thanks again mosleyk :)
I like to plant some showy annuals between my perrenials.
And I wanted some trailing plants for baskets.
Yeah I love gardening, you can tell by my fingernails...

But can you help me with this one?
I just bought a gardenia for indoors because they smell so freaking nice.
It looked good,lots of new growth etc.
But now at home, alot of the leaves are turning yellow and mottled and falling off.
Is it just the new atmosphere?
I have it in a very bright location and have been keeping the soil moist.
Anyone have any ideas?

The yellow leaves usually are a sign that the plant needs fertilizer. Although...we have a Dalietta variety in the greenhouse right now that is doing the same thing and it has been getting fertilizer. Also, we have other varieties treated exactly the same that don't have the problem. It is so mysterious that our seed broker couldn't help over the phone so she is coming out today to take a look at it. I will ask my husband when I get home from work to see what she said in case she has some more advice for you. But try the fertilizer if you haven't already.

You know...maybe we should start a "show your gardening hands" thread. I keep my nails short, but I still have the ugliest cuticles.

Funny you mentioned hanging baskets. That is what our nursery is known for. Favorite plants for baskets; Bacopa, Lobelia, millionbells, verbena, and geraniums (for the center if you are doing a 5-7 plant basket). I wish I had a picture of our baskets with me, so I could post what ours looks like.

Good luck with your plants and I will let you know if I find anything else out about the yellow leaf mystery.
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  13:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm loving this thread - please keep it going. I'm just going to lurk as a complete novice but appearing to be really lucky with what I'm doing. I've planted a whole load of seeds which all seem to have taken (or maybe I'm that bad with telling what's weeds and what isn't). Just trying to figure out whether I should now be thinning out or leaving to grow wild.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  13:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinning - I planted some pole beans and the book (Sunset Western Gardening) says I should thin the plants out to around 4-5 per pole. I think I have about 7 healthy plants around each pole, and they're all doing so well. They're quickly outgrowing my 5 foot trellis (thx carolynanna). It seems like a waste to thin them out.

My carrots suck. Damn earwigs.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  07:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help! I've got a new problem.

Something is eating all the leaves on my pea plants.
Not any other leaves on other plants, just the peas.

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  12:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Help! I've got a new problem.

Something is eating all the leaves on my pea plants.
Not any other leaves on other plants, just the peas.

I don't know what the products you have available to you in Canada. But if you can , try a product called Orthene. That is if you think this is a bug problem...not a deer or rabbit problem.

http://store.yahoo.com/btgrowersupply/orthene.html

We use at our nursery and it works great!
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  06:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its these little birds, I saw them.

My mom told me to put little fake plastic snakes around and it seems to be working.

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  06:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday my best guy friend's wife identified most of the things growing in my
garden as weeds.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  07:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help me! Pickleworms are destroying all of my zucchini as soon as it's coming up, and something (squash vine borers perhaps?) are destroying the stems. What can I do?

ˇViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

Surfer Rosa
> Teenager of the Year <

4209 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  01:43:16  Show Profile  Visit Surfer Rosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No help from me here sorry Nimrodson, just glad you revived this thread as I'm feeling particularly pleased with myself and the state of my garden (well the flowerbeds that I've planted so far) at the moment. My black cornflowers, evening primroses, california poppies, scrambled eggs, sunflowers, bunny tails and some other ones that I can't remember the names of (all grown from seed) have all come up and it's now all starting to look wild (which is how I want it to look)

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  09:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I got nuthin either NS. Sorry.

But I got to say I am loving my garden!
I've never had homegrown potatoes but OMG they are gooooood.
They kinda just melt in your mouth and taste a bagazillion times better than anything in the store. I could eat just a plate of spuds for dinner every night.

Besides that we've got lettuce, onions, tomatoes, carrots, peas and I've actually got corn growing. Oh and the cucumbers are delicious, I planted 6 plants and I think we're going to have a million cucumbers. The green peppers are just starting to flower.

Next year I am going to fill my sun room with veggies, they grow so well in containers in the sun room.

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  11:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, despite the fact that the squash isn't doing too well, the tomatoes are beginning to ripen and taste delicious. There's not much that's better than a home-grown, vine-ripened tomato.

ˇViva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  11:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Next year I am going to fill my sun room with veggies, they grow so well in containers in the sun room.

I highly recommend growing seeds in your sunroom late next winter. It's a great head start for when planting season begins outside.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  13:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a bunch of tomatoes, but my bean plant, which is humongous, isn't producing any beans, and my zuchini plant has produced only 2 zuchinis. I think I may not have prepared the soil enough.

Edited by - darwin on 08/03/2005 13:39:54
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  15:12:23  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mayhaps not quite enough light?

Lotsa lotsa leaves = striving to survive.

-

I made the knucklehead mistake of planting little hard-shelled popcorn plants next to my silver queens. Bunch of mutants now.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  15:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ObfuscateByWill

Mayhaps not quite enough light?

Lotsa lotsa leaves = striving to survive.

-

I made the knucklehead mistake of planting little hard-shelled popcorn plants next to my silver queens. Bunch of mutants now.

*Take a bite of the chocolate coffin.

You mean for beans? I don't know if they have lots of leaves, but it did grow like crazy at first and they have grown so tall that they're now not shaded by the only fence that shaded them in the morning. Also, they've produced a many flowers, but either aren't being pollinated or the beans are failing. It's a bummer, but as long as I'm getting tomatoes I'm happy.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  17:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love reading about everyones garden. I had the day off yesterday, and I was actually able to can 13 pints of green beans. I am going to try to bring our grand total to at least 30 this weekend.

Our tomatoes are really coming in too. God I love garden tomatoes. I don't know how I survive the winter with those awful hot-house ones.

Only thing that isn't doing too well is the eggplant. It is producing but just isn't looking as healthy as it should.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000