Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  13:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert, but those seedlings look pretty dense. Time to thin them?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  14:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they say you're supposed to wait till the leaves have three tiers before re-planting

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  15:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

Hey Floop? Is that a recent photo? I would have thought for sure they would be bigger than that with your climate.

those are pictures of my recent second round of peppers (planted about a month ago)

the first ones i don't want to discuss

Understood.

Darwin is right the seedlings aren't suppose to be that crowded. You could thin them out and still have a big crop for summer.

I am so happy you stuck with it and didn't give up on your peppers.
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  15:49:44  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
would asking about the peppers be like prodding an open wound? I want to know about the peppers!

Darwin, are you the man to tell me about growing beans? I want to grow beans.

forum ebook: end of miles
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  16:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

Darwin is right the seedlings aren't suppose to be that crowded.

maybe we should ask Darwin how big his pepper sprouts are... then we can decide who should give pepper advice

"I don't have any money to buy new clothes and if they paid me to get some I'd probably buy more hoodies." - Mark Wainfur
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  16:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like peppers, therefore I have no pepper sprouts.

I do have 10 rapidly growing basils and another dozen or more sprouting (with only 2 to 4 per compartment). And I'll yank out the smaller ones once their established.
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  16:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yum...basil and herbs. My goal this weekend is to finally put in my herb garden. My husband just got me the neatest herb plant. It is called melon sage (or something like that) and it has the best smell (with a hint of fruitiness) and the most brilliant, tiny red flowers.

Starmekitten? Why don't you just go with bush beans. Super easy. They are pretty easy and great for canning.

I must take pictures of our pepper plants. They are the biggest!!! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  17:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
basils, hehehheh.

my 3 year old nephew has a basil garden. maybe you guys can trade information

Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  20:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a window box breathing in the bus lot across the train track and it's filled with moss. my cats watch the bugs in it. i should grow some basil.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2006 :  23:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

basils, hehehheh.

my 3 year old nephew has a basil garden. maybe you guys can trade information

Maybe he would like my pesto recipe.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  06:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000
I think we need to put out sunflowers in fairly soon - the spring has been late this year, so I reckon we're still OK, but I'll have to get onto it. Any ideas for other flowers that look good?

You might try Nasturtiums if you've got a place for them to climb. Marigolds are always nice as well. I'm not a big flower expert so I can't be of too much help.

Regarding beans--one of the easiest crops to grow. Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake are some great varieties. Keep in mind that beans like hot weather. If it's a bit cooler where you live, you might do better growing peas (sugar snap are my favourites). If you are growing peas, you'll need to build some kind of support. It doesn't have to be elaborate, just something for them to climb on. You could use strings, netting, chicken wire, whatever you choose. Beans should specify on the seed packet whether they're a pole (climbing) type or bush type. Only plant as many as you can reasonably consume, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed with having to harvest them all. They come in every day by the dozens and if you stop harvesting, they'll stop producing.

ˇViva los Católicos!
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  06:23:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not all that cold in the summer and other people manage it so I think we'll be fine. Peas and beans maybe, I want to build a structure, we already have to lay a path thanks to an over-enthusiastic australian so a supportive structure will be easy.

The garden it would seem is bigger than first thought, not huge, but still bigger. The weeds were impressive, the ivy at the back mental, 19 bags of garden crap we have sat outside. Mental. But seeing as there is space I kind of want to try everything, that way if one thing works it'll feel like success!

forum ebook: end of miles
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  07:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

I feel the same way as Nimrod. Garden veggies are nice, but homegrown tomatoes are what I care about. And they're what grows best where I live (it's regularly up around 100 and constant sunshine).

So, this year I've planted a zuchini plant (Aristrocrat, I think) and have around 10 basil plants going, but mainly it's tomatoes. I have 7 plants (a cherry, a grape, a sweet 100, a roma, a pink brandywine, a Park's whooper, and a beefsteak). I think everyone but the brandywine and the beefsteak already have tomatoes growing, but none have ripened. I can't wait for sandwiches and snacks with them. I'm a bit complusive with them; checking maybe twice a day on how the plants are doing (seeing if any new tomatoes have formed).

Our fruit trees are doing well; no thanks to us. The loquat tree is making good fruit. That may last a week more. The plum tree is full of green fruit. And the peach is dying. It might make a few peaches, but really we need to cut it down.

Make sure you get some cucumbers in there, too. Then cut 'em up fresh with some good sheep's feta, a little olive oil, some vinegar (though not much) and salt, and hopefully some fresh bread to dip, and you have the best salad known to man. If you can grow your own oregano, double bonus.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My garden is coming in fantastic.
I love having a greenhouse to get things started early.
I might even have peppers before Tony!

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the other day that beefsteak tomatoes don't set fruit when it's over 85 degrees, which is pretty always during the day in Davis during the summer. So, I'm contemplating planting another big tomato plant to replace my probably unproductive beefsteak. I wonder if it's too late.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know darwin.
My greenhouse is almost always over 85 and I had a bumper crop last year.
And the plants themselves were taller than I am.
This year though I only planted 2 beefsteaks and alot of speckled romas.

I've been grilling all my veggies on the barbie lately.
Man who would've known that swiss chard was so good.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

I might even have peppers before Tony!

k.d.

keep dreamin'

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm workin on the third tier toots.
And when they're done I might roast them smothered in maple syrup!

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm workin on the third tier toots.

prove it!

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I not trustworthy????

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm just sayin, if you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

let's see those 3 tiers

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  09:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is horrible and I ain't lyin,
my digicam is in for focus repairs.
But when I get it out I'm sure we'll be on the fourth tiers.
I'll show you yet!

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  10:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe you C, and when you get your cam, I'm sure Floop will be in many many tears.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  10:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
digicam in for focus repairs. gee, never heard that one before.

seriously though, can you guys grow stuff in ice?

Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  10:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Carolynanna! Greenhouses are the best for starting your garden. Sounds like you are several months ahead of the rest of us.

I have never heard that about beefsteak Darwin. but then again....I don't live in a super warm climate, but we get to 85-100 degrees during summer months. Try the Superbeefsteak... (improved beefsteak variety) http://www.tomatogrowers.com

Fun fact: many of the latest and greatest tomato varieties were developed at Oregon State University (just another shameless Oregon plug)....might be why our tomatoes just produce like crazy here in the Willamette Valley.

Carolynanna....when you get your camera I would love to see pictures of your plants/garden. Sounds like you have a terrific green thumb.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup its true, the auto-focus pooped out and every shot was blurry, they had to send it all the way to Mississauga. Otherwise don't you think I'd have all sorts of pics of Jonas to post??? ;)
(And thank D & M, snifflesniffle)

I'll do it mosleyk.
In the greenhouse I have;
red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon (for Bella), swiss chard, all sorts of lettuce, lemon basil, fennel, zuchini, chives, and peas. All are really starting to fill in nicely too.
In the actual garden I have;
a schwack of potatoes, first year asparagus, carrots, shallots, garlic, onions and corn. I'll get that corn this year because I started so early.

This summer I plan to do nothing but bbq every night. Grilled veggies are so good I can't believe I didn't do it before. The veggies are even better if you grill them and then let them stay warm on the bbq on a cedar or maple plank. Cripes I love staying at home!

Edited by - Carolynanna on 06/01/2006 11:08:36
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup its true, the auto-focus pooped out and every shot was blurry, they had to send it all the way to Mississauga.

all the way to Mississauga huh? that's pretty good Caroly. very elaborate, and textured.

i would have said Saskatoon or something like that. but Mississauga sounds almost believable.

well done.

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why thankee sir.
You know the funniest thing was when I brought in back to London Drugs I couldn't remember what occasion that Mike bought it for. So the tech guy and I looked at the receipt and sure enough to was bought on my birthday at 5:48pm.....

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice link mosleyk. I think I'm becoming unhinged about garden tomatoes and that's a lot tomato varities on that site. Unfortunately I think I need plants if I'm planting this late. UC Davis has also produced alot of tomato varities, including the square tomato that's better for shipping (but probably tastes like industrial shit).

Carolynanna - that garden sounds really tremendous. When will you start moving the greenhouse plants outside? Asparagus sounds challenging. I never seem to know how long I'm going to live somewhere, so I've never tried asparagus. I might give brussel sprouts a shot later this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you get brussel sprouts the first year?
I should plant some, I love'em. Unfortunately I have no more room, sigh...
This is the first year I've planted asparagus, I hear its difficult too, I hope it works.

Actually the stuff I grow in the greenhouse stays there.
It really does well. I just grow everything in big oak barrels.
Also no pesky bird, squirrels to eat them and way less bugs.

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolynanna your garden and your starts sound so good. That is the problem with us having the plant nursery business on our farm. We spend all this time growing stuff for other people and we always have to wait to do our stuff last. Hopefully now that we are basically sold out for the season we can get caught up with everyone else. ;-)

I have tried to get some odd stuff in the ground this year like Jerusalem artichokes. I don't really know a thing about them, but they are HUGE and doing well so we will see.....

swiss chard.....man I love that stuff better than spinach...note to self...plant chard.....

Edited by - mosleyk on 06/01/2006 11:25:17
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought brussel sprouts were an annual. If not, I'm not planting them.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2006 :  11:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I have to make room next year. Or find one more barrel.

Most importantly I have a few special seeds, but no luck in the germination process yet. Anyone?

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  02:01:21  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Caroly, I'll email you a recipe for tourtes des blettes - they're like pastries, they're a speciality of Nice. They have raisins, rum, sugar and a load of swiss chard, if you can imagine it. That there's goooood eatin'.

I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2006 :  08:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay you Europeans are weird. ;)

I'll have to buy pre-made tortes, I suck at pastries.

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000