-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 The Gardening Thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
darwin Posted - 02/12/2005 : 16:59:47
Born out of magazine thread. What of kind gardening do people do? What have you had success with?

I'm a novice, but did alot gardening with my mom when I was a kid. I've grown tomatoes, zuchinni, and herbs (like cilantro and basil). Tomatoes grow wonderfully here (Central California) but I'm looking to add some more variety this spring/summer. Maybe some green beans or other squash. Any favorite garden vegetables?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeepster Posted - 09/12/2019 : 20:35:11
gardening isn’t dead as long as me and my tiny flowerpot full of snow pea seeds still exist

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
darwin Posted - 09/10/2019 : 11:59:08
floop killed the Gardening thread
floop Posted - 12/07/2013 : 11:58:56
just harvested these dogs. still more on the plants.

green star member since 2006. smb?
floop Posted - 09/14/2013 : 08:58:39
just picked. might make more hot sauce or some kind of chile

gardens. the gift that keeps on giving

floop Posted - 08/31/2013 : 05:35:36
so far i just have 2 different kinds. the habanero and the roasted jalapeño one. the hab is definitely more hot. i love hot and can handle super hot stuff but actually like the jalapeño one better. has a more complex flavor from the roasting i think. i actually did add some habaneros to that one too

my friend from Chicago gave me some honey from his bee hives. think i'm gonna take shineys advice and make a batch with some of his honey. LA Chicago collabo. look at me, i'm all organic and shit

Arm Arm Arm Posted - 08/30/2013 : 13:12:20
The sauces look delicious too. Do you have a variety of spice levels or are they all pretty hot? I can handle about two to three habaneros along with a few serranos in a stir fry but that's usually my limit.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 08/30/2013 : 12:58:43
Floop---those look amazing. Your girlfriend has quite the talent for gardening!
shineoftheever Posted - 08/20/2013 : 06:25:38
try honey instead of sugar. won't do much for the pourability but will get the sweetness to where you want it.

"Do Re Me So Far So Good"
floop Posted - 08/20/2013 : 04:32:14
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

yea, those with the clamps and gasket get pricier. i like to use these for dad's olive oil. with just a cork they're still about 2eur.

speaking of prices, local chili entrepreneur sells habanero sauce for 7eur for 100cc bottle. he adds all kinds of ingredients - red sweet pepper, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, apple vinegar, ginger, lime juice, oil, salt, seasonings. http://www.cilipipp.si/en/trgovina?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=2

i've made hot sauces in the past that had quite a few ingredients. for the habanero one i made this one this time http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=21

it's got a lot of heat (obviously) and some nice habanero flavor but i think it could use something more. it's also a bit too thin. might cook it down a bit more. and i think calls for too much vinegar.

for the jalapeno one i did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdPKfx6PoDE

it's got a great roasty flavor. a bit too thick but you can just use a spoon to put it on. if i was going to give as gifts i'd want to try and make it more pourable.

i think the addition of sugar, for both, is key. takes a slight edge off the pure heat factor. for me spicy and sweet is one of my favorite things (but not too sweet)

i have a shit load more peppers so i'm going to do some experimenting

here's the bottles http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-689976/Bormioli-Rocco-Swing-Bottles

tisasawath Posted - 08/19/2013 : 20:27:56
yea, those with the clamps and gasket get pricier. i like to use these for dad's olive oil. with just a cork they're still about 2eur.

speaking of prices, local chili entrepreneur sells habanero sauce for 7eur for 100cc bottle. he adds all kinds of ingredients - red sweet pepper, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, apple vinegar, ginger, lime juice, oil, salt, seasonings. http://www.cilipipp.si/en/trgovina?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=2
floop Posted - 08/19/2013 : 16:28:19
those habaneros are all from one plant believe it or not. a whole shitload more are budding. those are like the most efficient pepper plants

tis- u want to buy or asking about the bottle? think got it for 6 dollars or so. gonna need to get more. what I really want are those except in like a 6 oz size, for giving away

tisasawath Posted - 08/19/2013 : 12:29:18
sweet looking habaneros, how much for the bottle?

did i ever mention i used fresh ground chilis to treat a sore wrist after a fall- made the swelling and pain go away real quick, only side-effect was the burn and the skin was tender for a day, felt the slightest breeze with it.
BLT Posted - 08/19/2013 : 12:21:41
You've got enough habaneros to kill a small family. Has DHS been notified yet?

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.---H.L. Mencken, 1926
floop Posted - 08/19/2013 : 07:07:31
peppers

hot sauce

haven't even used half of the peppers yet

floop Posted - 07/21/2013 : 15:38:28
all credit goes to my girlfriend. we have a new garden area now, bigger, with more sun. this is a harvest of just peppers. tomatoes and other shit is going off

darwin Posted - 07/13/2013 : 06:22:53
This year just growing basil and tomatoes. Already had a couple meals of fresh pesto.
tisasawath Posted - 07/11/2013 : 12:06:08
thinking next season i should grow these at work

local chili head sells them for 6 EUR 10 seeds. priceless really.
danjersey Posted - 07/10/2013 : 19:59:59
by the way, cheers to Darwin for creating this thread.
danjersey Posted - 07/10/2013 : 15:36:01

greetings from the garden state
fumanbru Posted - 07/19/2010 : 16:42:14
thanks for the gardening tip. i think you are correct. extra amounts of clay in the garden. i may take it out and and try and re-enact the clay scene from ghost.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Carolynanna Posted - 07/16/2010 : 06:52:18
Prolly too much clay fu.
Add some peat moss to your dirt.

fumanbru Posted - 07/13/2010 : 02:59:34
my garden is coming along...but i was away on holidays and the kid who was supposed to water i think missed a few days....the bottom leaves of the tomato plants have dried out...hopefully the plants will be ok....

in the spring when i planted the soil was pretty wet...now it has tried up and it is very hard....should i rake and massage the soil between the plants? i should go online and watch some gardening videos...normally i just plant in the spring then water, weed, then harvest.

darwin Posted - 05/27/2010 : 06:14:10
2010 - I've planted my usual suspects: tomatoes, basil, cilantro. The tomatoes are doing really well despite the persist threat of tornadoes and I know deer are lurking out there.
tisasawath Posted - 11/30/2009 : 02:17:49
veggie kama sutra? don't use peppers. unless it's s/m.
Crackitybones Posted - 11/29/2009 : 21:31:01
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath
makes me wonder why people even have flower arrangements in their homes, offices, at press conferences..when vegetables look so much nicer.

That reminded me of a scene from a very funny film, "Withnail and I". Drunken out of work actor Withnail and friend go to sponge off aging effeminate eccentric Uncle Monty...

[Monty moves to the sideboard and pours the drinks. Withnail lights up yet another cigarette.]
Monty: Do you like vegetables? I've always been fond of root crops but I only started to grow last summer. I happen to think the cauliflower more beautiful than the rose.
Withnail: Chin chin. [He drinks the sherry.]
Monty: Do you grow?
Withnail: Geraniums.
Monty: Oh you little traitors. I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is you'll agree a certain je ne ses quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot!
tisasawath Posted - 11/29/2009 : 20:59:43
nice crop, and nice morning lighting there. makes me wonder why people even have flower arrangements in their homes, offices, at press conferences..when vegetables look so much nicer.

i was just about to post in this thread, teeming with excitement over my pepper plants flowering again, promising fresh jalapenos just in time for the christmas pizza. kudos to the good people who invented central heating.
floop Posted - 11/29/2009 : 15:37:23
todays harvest

pictures of peppers never get old do they? no, they don't
fumanbru Posted - 09/30/2009 : 14:49:26
sorry...tomatoes all picked...i was kidding about the tomatina but i have thrown the odd tomato at people...i was wondering if on halloween i could dress up as a tomatina monster, hide in the bushes, and throw tomatoes at the kids after my wife gave them candy...

tisasawath Posted - 09/29/2009 : 05:40:11
pics? (of the tomatina)
fumanbru Posted - 09/29/2009 : 00:45:55
not i..sorry tisasawath.

somewhat disappointed with the garden this year. hasn't been very hot and somewhat neglected the garden as we were out of town a fair amount...picked most of the tomatoes last night...very tasty but not a large crop...i like to grow tonnes of tomatoes so we can do a mini version of la tomatina with the neighbors in our cul de sac.

tisasawath Posted - 07/02/2009 : 11:10:49
that cactus looks kind of, um, cool, yes.

does anyone have any experience with powdery mildew? and treating that possibly with natural remedies?
(and before someone tells me to ask dr.foot, it's on a mango plant)

autumn. one pepper plant is growing bunches of jalapeno grapes
darwin Posted - 06/26/2009 : 12:03:33
Hubba hubba
floop Posted - 06/26/2009 : 07:09:50
i got this cactus plant when it was like 1 inch tall and now it's got this huge flower thing coming out of it. plants are cool

(pepper garden in background)
kathryn Posted - 05/07/2009 : 14:02:30
That's beautiful, breakmybody. Nice to see you, too!

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
breakmybody Posted - 05/07/2009 : 11:13:02
Here in Greenland, everything is green, and fine

I don't know why, but I know I can't stay

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000