Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  18:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Can't Break A Heart And Have It.
It rocks soooo hard. This must be great live!
I love the screaming and the "outro".
Plus he mentions Berlin in it, which is alway a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  19:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Santo. Truly shocking.

rocknfire
- FB Fan -

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  20:40:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christmass (Do What You Want)Gyneshwar

cause space between the oddballs is so very looooooooooooong.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  21:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Santo. Truly shocking.

hilarious.

anyway, tight black rubber. "it's amazing, it works!"

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  01:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And hilarious, yes. Kinda like A Clockwork Jalapeno.

Edited by - trobrianders on 05/21/2007 01:22:24
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  01:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Santo. Truly shocking.

Santo's great. Reading the above made me dig out the B Sides cd. Just listened to Bailey's Walk - perhaps the most extreme Frank vocal ever. Is it brilliantly unhinged or just bad? Not sure, but it's a good tune anyway.

Godspeed
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first time I went to Barcelona we were there walking down La Ramblas at 2.00AM and we could see the saddest sight: working women in their 50s and 60s. So I guess that's why I think Santo's a good song cos it doesn't shirk away from that harsh reality.

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  19:22:42  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Threshold Apprehension. Enough said.

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

rocknfire
- FB Fan -

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  19:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto with Tro and Old. Been listening to Pixies b-sides. Weird At My School.

cause space between the oddballs is so very looooooooooooong.

Edited by - rocknfire on 05/21/2007 19:52:56
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Higway To Lowdown
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  05:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lolita and Mouth

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  09:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Captain Patsy.
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  14:23:12  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elijah (I have literally listened to it about 100 times over the past 2 weeks. I need to tone it down a bit. I have a serious problem. But it's so good!)
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  07:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
was "sing for joy" (while imagining it was the live version i saw on my birthday last year)

but now "santo", due to obvious threadal influence.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  08:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the word "threadal." A lot.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  09:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"debaser" - haven't really paid much attention to it for the past few years because it just became too familiar. but man, have i been missing out! great song.

"jumping beans" - wonderful song, on the level of "modern age." real complex, but the complexity hidden by the subtleness of it all.

"you're such a wire" - possibly my third or second favorite song on pistolero. it used to be one of my LEAST favorites. i think that's because i got into frank black
with "teenager of the year," "catholics s/t," and "pistolero," after a two year virginal binge on the pixies, and wasn't accustomed to his
use of more-than-one-syllable-per-beat singing style. that faded over time and now i'm in love with that guitar by rich gilbert on this song.

"whispering weeds" - one of three songs i downloaded before "black letter days" came out, it soon got overshadowed by the unheard giants of other parts of that
album. but it's real nice. all tucked away at the end of the album there.

"duke of earl" - one of my favorite fb vocals. frank's mastery of the song is telling of where he comes from stylistically.

" my terrible ways" - i love the lyrics to this song. the background vocals are classic country. and is that rich gilbert on pedal steel? "and i'll never have enough,
enough..."

"a dab'll do ya" - a rollicker, this one. i love when he screams "seven rough seas!" he really takes a song that requires a very simple vocal line and makes his
rhythm and meter the most complex elements of the song.

"do you feel bad about it?" - another recently neglected nugget from frank's canon, the catholics' first album has been in my ears longer than any frank black solo
release. but it's nice to go back and hear his straight up rock&roll.

"sleep" - my most cherished frank songs are the ones that go overboard with bluegrassy country. this is easily the perfect example of this musical focus.

"snake oil" - i actually think i've only listened to this song twice before. i don't know why. it's a good one, though. i don't see how the original could possibly top
this cover. man, when was the last time frank screamed like THAT? this would go well with frank and gano's "run."

"i bleed" - i took a long time getting around to buying doolittle because i already had almost every song in one form or another, whether it be on "death to the
pixies" or "at the bbc." the only songs i hadn't heard were "i bleed" and "silver." i was dumb for waiting. and what's with all the "silver" hating? i
love that song!

"humboldt county massacre" - why didn't they ever release SSMVGD officially? i think it's flawless.

"live version of "here come your man" - this one's from the SUBBACULTCHA bootleg. i got this bootleg, along with the "dig for fire" and "velouria" singles
(awesome unheard b-sides!), from my friend who was getting married. he gave them to me because i helped put together
all the song mixes.

"havalina" - one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums of all time. it reminds me of the drive on the way to said friend's wedding reception.
i love the havalina dialogue in the royal tenenbaums soley because of the pixies.

"i've seen your picture" - "vehicular bilboards reserve you a space." i just told my wife yesterday about the interview where frank rants about how he hates those
bilboard trucks because it's just way past the line of acceptable forms of advertising. i love the line where he says "electioneer."

"lone child" - i must say, though i instantly liked "honeycomb" it took me a while to really get stunned by it. what a strong recording of this song! i don't think
it could have been done any better with the catholics. great instrument choices.

"u-mass" - obviously a classic. it has a "cream" quality about it. i've been on a cream kick lately. mostly "sitting on top of the world" and "nsu." i love all the
counting, spelling, and dicing up of words in frank songs. "here's the last five:..." it's even like joey's break-down solo is him just counting out 7 of
one note.

"western star" - i LOVE everything about this song except the chorus. i just like the chorus. but the bridge-to-last-verse is one of the best lyrical moments,
as far as coolness is concerned, in any frank song. awesome outro, what with "dancing to the new bolero" and the "dog whining sound," as
frank once referred to it at an acoustic in-store at atomic records in milwaukee.

"st. francis dam disaster" - what can be said about this song? i'm so familiar with it, yet i never grow tired of hearing it. it's that good! it's a shame he never
does it live.

live version of "tony's theme" - from "death to the pixies." i know frank doesn't so much of this song, but i think it's a great tune. it CLOSED the set to this
concert! it's got some strength.

christmass version of "i burn today" - christmass is no toss up release. it's so beautiful, honest, and it twists familiar songs into sea-shanty songs and gypsy
folk songs. AND it has 6 or 7 NEW songs, all of which are fucking awesome. it's my most cherished frank black release.
one of a kind.

"in heaven" - i must admit, i didn't know which version this was until i checked my ipod. it's the purple tape version. i gotta say, this is the first song, no matter
the version, that i kick off "frank black song survivor."

"selkie bride" - beautiful tune. classic frank storyline, bizarre obscure reference through his song-makin' machine.

"steak and sabre" - all i can think of is final fantasy9 when i hear this album. this song has some of the best lyrics on it. pairing "steak and sabre" with "cain
and abel." mind-melting solo from workman; very jimi hendrix "pali gap"-esque. haunting final verse. does anyone know what this song is
about?

"belle isle" - no one knows what covers to do better than frank himself.

"my favorite kiss" - one of my favorite songs, possibly in the history of songs. everything is perfect with it.

"billy radcliffe" - another all time favorite.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  15:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Rabbit Hole." Possibly my favorite song ever by The Man. So exciting to hear a recorded version of it at blackfrancis.net. (Others I know of were live in S.F. and Brooklyn last year.)

Edited by - coastline on 05/25/2007 15:50:17
Go to Top of Page

frankoholic
- FB Fan -

Belgium
38 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  03:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"skip this part" so raw, wonder what the song will-would be with drums/bass
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  06:06:00  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy Shit, Jose Jones! You are as big a fan as I am! YEah, "Such A Wire" is amazing. Frank is the BEST country musician right now, period.
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  06:06:48  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Threadal :)
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  06:08:37  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know, Coastline! Rabbit Hole is so cool :)
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  06:09:27  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's "Skip this part", Frankaholic? :)
Go to Top of Page

orangemagic
- FB Fan -

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  06:10:57  Show Profile  Visit orangemagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I just realized I should have put all of those comments into one reply, so as not to eat up too much frankblack.net memory. I forgot. I promise I won't do that again. :)
Go to Top of Page

yingguoguizi
- FB Fan -

China
62 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  01:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dead Man's Curve off the blackfrancis.net page. Nice and raw. beginning to wonder how many versions of that song we're gonna hear before getting a CD album version- if we ever do. We've already got the Christmass version, and the live version for the best of, and now this one which doesn't seem like the finshed version. never mind the more the better I suppose.

Edited by - yingguoguizi on 05/28/2007 01:14:43
Go to Top of Page

awestruck
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  21:15:48  Show Profile  Visit awestruck's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lolita. it is just beautiful. the words, the music and his voice...cant get enough of it.

Favorite Quote: awestruck is a she, she's a she. -trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

blip
- FB Fan -

29 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2007 :  10:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SHOW ME YOUR TEARS

I PUKED MY GUTS AND YOU GAVE A ME CHEER! YEAAHHH!
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  03:48:05  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lolita
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  05:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Bad Harmony." Just heard it on Daisy Girl's radio show. I've never noticed the "whoa-oa-oa" harmony before. Love it.

EDIT: A day later, and I can't stop listening to this song ... and now all I can hear is the "whoa-oa-oa" harmony. And it's a really GOOD harmony, that's the ironic thing.

Edited by - coastline on 06/07/2007 09:52:43
Go to Top of Page

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't Cry That Way. Because I need those soothing tones after my first day as an evil parking attendant. "our last parking lot, 'cause we didn't have a prayer" etc
Go to Top of Page

perrom
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but how could you not have noticed the whoa whoa part of the song. Is this your first time to hear it?

"I`m drinking antiknock
I do a mantra and I know PL/1"
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perrom

I'm sorry, but how could you not have noticed the whoa whoa part of the song. Is this your first time to hear it?

"I`m drinking antiknock

No, no. I listen to FB almost exclusively ... and yet there are things that escape me still to this day. But not this one. It's not going to escape me anymore.

I only recently noticed on the Pixies' "La La Love You" that all four members take turns saying "I Love You" a couple times in the song.

Sometimes songs, or at least parts of songs, are just in the background. And then suddenly something clicks. That's one of the reasons I love FB.

Go to Top of Page

perrom
- FB Fan -

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, didn't mean to be short with you. I agree, I don't think I heard Lovering spell out "P I X I E S" during "Cactus" until about the 20th listen and of course I had the benefit of a 12 pack in me when I discovered it!

"I`m drinking antiknock
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't notice him spelling out "P I X I E S" until FB sang it "T R E X" last year on the solo acoustic tour and then I went back and listened to the original. I'm totally dense -- that's what I was trying to say in that last post -- and don't notice stuff until it hits me on the head.

Oh, and I can't drink more than three beers without falling asleep. Haven't been able to drink a 12 pack in a hell of a long time.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  19:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this counts but I couldn't get the water out out of my head all day.

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  21:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try tilting your head. I always do after swimming.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000