Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

Mass Pleeze
- FB Fan -

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  16:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Los Angeles - I never knew there was one in Patagonia and I wonder if Brits attacked it during Falkland War.

can you swing from a good rope? building jumper
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  05:59:18  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dedicated and with thanks to a man with unlimited postage:

just a little story / to keep you all amused
just a little part / to keep you all confused
Run! / Run! / Run! / Run! / Run-Run-Run-Run / R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-RUN!

Edited by - fbc on 06/11/2005 06:00:28
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  06:23:21  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fiddle riddle live - i know! never heard it like this before. deserves it's own thread so i can exclaim it's brilliance and beauty of one member in particular

here the riddle that i say:

A man walks into a bar and asks for a glass of water. The bartender pulls out a shotgun and points it at him. The man says, thank you and leaves. Why
Go to Top of Page

zub_the_goat
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:30:56  Show Profile  Visit zub_the_goat's Homepage  Click to see zub_the_goat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
'headache', still pondering whether one of the lines is 'this wiggling time cant give it no credit' as fun as wiggling is im not sure
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  11:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pie in the sky

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  11:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And why you lovin' it Mrs. Kathryn (just wonderin', I bet it's the foot-stomping and hand-clapping and those space-traveling lyrics)

Hey zub_the_goat, it's "This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit", straight from the song database here at FB.net. Check it out sometime, not only are there lyrics to most of Frank's post-Pixies' songs, but there are also good notes, quotes, definitions and references for a lot of them.

I'm telling you, in case you don't already know it, this unofficial, officially authorized Frank Black site/world is the crème de la crème, the alpha dog of all fan sites, for oh so many reasons that I dare not take the time to get into for fear that the OS TM will cut me off (ha!)

fbc, you gonna answer Mass Pleeze's question or shall I? (I'll have to do some research, where as you probably learned about it through your local news/newspapers/family and friends that served in the Falklands War.

fbc, I've got a guess at your riddle: The shotgun was full of ganja and the bartender blew the man a huge "shotgun" (you know, similar to the scene in "Platoon" EDIT:where the grunts are getting stoned down in the underground bunker, dancing and singing 'Motown, and the "fuckin new guy" gets a huge shotgun of ganja shot at him by the character played by Wilhelm Defoe ), he got stoned as hell, thanked him, and left comfortably numb!

Edit: [I forgot to post my song, "Coming Into Los Angeles" The Man's cover of an Arlo Guthrie song. Lovin' 'cause it's new to me, thanks Guitar Man!]

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 06/11/2005 12:21:50
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  12:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why am I lovin' it? Let me count the ways!

1) It's Frank
2) It's TOTY
3) It's so so good
4) It's been that kind of day
5) That's an order

(Apocalypse Now? My favorite movie ever)

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  12:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, you're a cool chick K, Apocalypse Now, Hawaii Five-0, etc...(really, that's enough connections for me, I'd hang with you anytime!)

I'm gonna put an edit in my above post for fbc to further illustrate that "Platoon" scene.

Um, I'm listening to "Calistan" piano version, another new one for me, Frank and that piano really have something good going on there!

EDIT: Hey k, would you still hang with me, even though I get the titles to movies mixed up? I mean, Apocalypse Now and Platoon are similar enough to where I didn't seem too much like an idiot, aren't they? Anyway, I'm glad for my faux pas, I found out about your affection for cool army movies!

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 06/11/2005 12:25:59
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  12:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the words Hamburger Hill mean anything to ya?

Go to Top of Page

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  00:07:51  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I Burn Today - Frank performing on later with Jools.

How many days left till Honeycomb?

wilhelm
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  17:23:04  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ha! nice guess oldman, i enjoyed that one.
but alas, that's all it be. A guess.

no song tonight for me.
just popped by.
heard a rumour there's a goat in the thread.
thought it'd be funny to check him out. ('Zub' is a boys name right?)
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  18:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is where I belong (thanks, fbc!)

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  19:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

This is where I belong (thanks, fbc!)

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  19:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Constant Sorrow Man"

"Your ma says that I'm strange,
And now you're never gonna see my hide
But you'll see me on the other side
Please promise that you will
See me on the other range"

I'm gonna try to memorize all the lyrics to this one, I really love singing this song.

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  05:46:59  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the black rider

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  09:54:19  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm actually listening to now (yep! this very second) the cult of ray
it's one of those days

THE CULT REIGNS SUPREME
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  01:47:59  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how you went so far

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

johnd24_42
- FB Fan -

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  07:04:41  Show Profile  Visit johnd24_42's Homepage  Click to see johnd24_42's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Western Star - just made a mix for my sister who used to be a Pixies fan, and Western Star is one of my very favorite Frank Black songs.

"It used to be 16 lanes/used to be one of those things"
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  10:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess what Frank song I'm listening to...(this "guessing game" post was inspired by fbc's riddle set-out in his post from 06/11/2005 at 06:23:21 PST, which by the way remains unsolved, in fact, mine is the only guess so far. I continue to ponder fbc's riddle, but I don't yet have another guess.)

Here are some of the lyrics from the Frank song I'm listening to:

"Oh baby, something's crossed my mind.
I was thinking you'd look so fine
In a velvet dress
With heels and an ermine stole.

Oh, Luther darling, heaven knows
I've never put on women's clothes!
Except for once
My mother's camisole.

So you think only a woman
Can truly love a man.
Then you buy me the dress
I'll be more woman than a man like you can stand.
I'll be your Venus on a chocolate clam shell
Rising on a sea of marshmallow foam,
............."

Hint: As you may have guessed, this song was not written by The Man nor is it auto-biographical in any way, shape, or form . I've got some more interesting info concerning this song that I'll post here at the conclusion of this segment of the "guessing game".

I'll also post some more hints if the song remains unidentified in a few hours.

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 06/14/2005 10:08:06
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  18:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, next clue for the song I'm listening to now: "________________________"

This song is from a musical about a "A transexual punk rock girl from East Berlin tours the US with her rock band as she tells her life story and follows the ex-boyfriend/bandmate who stole her songs."

I'm sure that clue will be a dead give away, huh!
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  18:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm gonna give another clue, because I'm getting a little tire of listening to this song.

The lead character in this quite unusual rock musical is similar to the character in The Man's DITS song Hermaphroditos, one small difference, he/she is coaxed into an transgender operation that goes bad, leaving her/him with one "angry inch".

Hey, don't blame me, I didn't write it. And besides, some stories need to be told no matter how painful or unpleasant.

Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  00:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sugar Daddy
by Hedwig And The Angry Inch

never heard of it, but google has.

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh, this thread has taken a turn. Yes, Sugar Daddy. Cool.

Right now listening to "I burn today." Because I do.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:14:34  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay oldman, ponder know more.
the guy had the hiccups. you see? lame, i know.

here ya go, one for today:

You are stuck in a room with no windows or doors. a solid room. the only things in this room is a mirror and a table. how do you escape?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:15:38  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh shite! A song.

typing and busy doing nothing to "Atom In My Heart"
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Sugar Daddy"

Yep, scruvs, it is indeed, "Sugar Daddy" from the rock musical "Hedwig and the Angry Inch".

You can purchase it from i-tunes for $.99, what a bargain (and, oh yeah, don't forget to purchase the Show Me Your Tears EP while you're at it. It's only $3.96, so that both can be yours for the price of a "value combo meal" at one of your favorite fast food restaruants, without the heartburn and saturated fats (a 7th time reminder).

"Sugar Daddy" is a hellluva song, written by John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask, who wrote this off-broadway musical that ran from 1998 - 2000.

After listening to it, and really diggin it, I couldn't get past these lyrics: "So you think only a woman Can truly love a man. Then you buy me the dress I'll be more woman than a man like you can stand." It seemed somewhat uncharacteristic of Frank, and I'm a curious son of a bitch, so I began my search for it's origin and meaning. And, yeah scruvs, like you, I used Google.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0248845/ [that picture looks a little like the lead singer of "Twisted Sister", do you remember them Kathryn, a Long Island Band from the '80's)

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

You are stuck in a room with no windows or doors. a solid room. the only things in this room is a mirror and a table. how do you escape?

Hiccups? so, the shotgun was pointed at him to scare the hiccups out of him? OK...alright....,in fact, I learned of this cure from my grandmother when I was but a wee lad, and it does work, so.....OK fbc, I guess that'll do.

Let's raise the bar a little on the next ones, OK. You know, you can't go wrong with Riddles involving "Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll", but hey, it's your thread and your riddle.

I'm listening to "SNAYG'L" ["snake oil", borrowed the SNAYG'L term from fbc] and, to borrow from scruvs' signature, "boy, [you] sure can holler", reminds me of Black Francis on this one.

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  08:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i burn today

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  15:41:09  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
that picture looks a little like the lead singer of "Twisted Sister", do you remember them Kathryn, a Long Island Band from the '80's

Dee Snider now has a radio show in Philadelphia. And he appears on pretty much every VH1 special. But he's not, to the best of my knowledge, a transexual.

I was all out of luck, like a duck that died. I was all out of juice, like a moose denied.
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  16:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, VoVat, Dee Snider, that's his name. I haven't heard of him since I moved from New York back in 1989. Glad to hear he seems to be doing well, sounds like some pretty good gigs he's got there.
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  18:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I would escape from this situation just as I do in real life when things are closing in on me and all that I have is a mirror and a table, I check-out my look in the mirror and then break into some "Headache", "Los Angeles", "Constant Sorrow Man", and if I'm feeling really good, I may even sing a little "Massif Central", and escape into my fantasies. (or at least, that's the way I do it).

So, fbc, what do I win? (Maybe an increase in my monthly posting limit from the OmniStupid ThreadMaster!)

I'm listening to "Massif Central"
I'm feeling really good, thanks to the Dos Equis XX and Chimichangas, and even my falsetto sounds good to me now.

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 06/15/2005 20:03:09
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  20:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey fbc, though my guess may be wrong,
Riddle me this,
Why did I choose those 4 songs?

"Massif Central" again, this time with headphones

"I can smell it in the wind
‘Cause I guess that it’s the time
And I saw the way you grinned
You were giving me the sign"

Damn, I love those lyrics...Romance is in the air!

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  05:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"So Hard to Make Things Out" from, IMNSHO, one of the top 10 Rock and Roll albums ever, PISTOLERO!

Lovin' the 3:00 minute mark where The Man interjects some Manic Angst and then at the 4:22 mark The Man relaxes back into the initial grove of the song. Fuckin' songwriting genius [Merriam-Webster's definition of genius: extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity; bulls-eye!]

Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  05:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"I Think I'm Starting to Lose It"

Logos
Chaos
Pathos
Mythos

Oh yeah, bustin' out and dusting off the Philosophy text books to really appreciate this one. Damn, The Man's deep.

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  16:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've actually met Dee Snider. And I walked away a virgin.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000