Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  23:22:19  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Richard Loyd/Television?

Great stuff! Maybe he could play on some new FB work in the future

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2005 :  16:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

Background vocals are by the late James Griffin (nee of Bread, just passed recently) and the very much alive Ellis Hooks, whose albums I produce & cowrite and the next one, GODSON OF SOUL, ships to stores August 9th courtesy Evidence Records.

Lest we not forget Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham, who sing for "Sing For Joy" (and that's Dan providing on "Dark End").

Hope that is not TOO informative. (LOL)
best,
Jon Tiven

No, seriously thanks. Definately not too much information, it's cool. I couldn't tell when I was listening if it was Frank or not. And now that I think about it, I would be impossible to record background vocals bec. you guys did the songs all in one take.. if I remember correctly.

To bad to hear about James Griffen... his backing vocals add soul.

Here's another question if you're not too busy... do you remember what order you recored the tracks in?

Thanks!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 05/26/2005 16:03:15
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  08:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

1)All of the bass guitar on HONEYCOMB is by David Hood.

David Hood, David Hood, David Hood..
I'm not familiar with him (that's probably because I don't know sh*t)

But, after googling "David Hood",
is it this guy?

or this guy?

or this guy?

..-. .-. .- -. -.- -... .-.. .- -.-. -.-
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  09:11:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
or this David Hood

Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  09:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Hood is the guy sitting down with the bass guitar. He was the bassist in the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, playing on countless records by Wilson Pickett, Delbert McClinton, etc etc etc. He also was a member of Traffic for some time and can be seen in live videos of them in the early 70s with a very loud shirt. And his son fronts the Drive By Truckers.

As for the order we recorded the songs in, my memory is not that great but I can attest that they were tracked in 3 days, the band was the same all three days except (a) the first day Reggie Young (guitar) was not available so Buddy Miller was one of the guitarists and (b) the drum chair was a revolving one, day one was Anton Fig, day two Billy Block, and day three the father and son team of Chester and Akil Thompson.

Keep those questions coming in, I will try to reply promptly and forthrightly. And remember, all you true fans who want to see THE SICILIAN out as soon as possible, like they said the likelihood of it emerging quickly is completely dependent upon the success of HONEYCOMB so buy it quickly and often.

The radio station play and orders from record stores tend to depend upon how first week sales go, so please do not postpone your purchase---if we can get some really encouraging numbers right away it will make it all the difference in the world. Tell a friend. July 19th!!!

bye for now,
Jon

Edited by - Jontiven on 05/27/2005 09:19:46
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've found myself a new bass hero :)

..-. .-. .- -. -.- -... .-.. .- -.-. -.-
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  10:25:26  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he'd definately be worthy.

Jon, that is the sea I can hear at the end of Selkie, no snare or cymbal trick (?)
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is The Sea.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  17:42:00  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice touch.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  17:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon T. you rock!! It's like a super cool present every time I open this thread

Ok.. I love that piano solo on Another Velvet Nightmare. Who came up with it, it's amazing. Kinda like John Lennon taken to the next level with a little blues splashed in.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  17:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spooner Oldham. Historically the piano player and/or organist for pretty much every Soul great since the beginning, plus Neil Young, Bob Dylan, et al and Dan Penn's best-known songwriting partner.

We aim to please, Daisy Girl. Keep the compliments coming and the vibes positive and I will continue to lurk. OK, I'm going to let the questions mount up. I will return when the time is right.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  19:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon,

thanks for the scoop on the first week sales. i'll make sure i get my copy then plus a few more for presents. it would be real nice if they would release it a month earlier- june 19- father's day! how bout that for a father's day present!

my question is: WHEN WILL WE SEE A HONEYCOMB/SICILIAN TOUR??????..and it would be swell to get a visit up north :)

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  20:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, Can we expect to see a lot of mainstream promotion for this record before the release date? I would expect, with the new record label and the amazing cast of musicians, not to mention the great songs, this to do very well commercially and attract an entirely new and diverse audience, but on the other hand, and I hate to be too pessimistic about it, I don't see how it could do much better than any of Frank's other albums unless the hell is promoted out of it, big time!

”Viva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  04:02:00  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which song was the hardest to record, or needed the most time and patience (preparation)?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  09:15:26  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The song that took the longest to complete was probably HONEYCOMB, because it had the most complex chart, but it was the charting that took the longest, we cut it on the first take. None of them really took long, particularly by contemporary recording standards, because we didn't have to resort to pro-tools and we had excellent musicians who picked up every nuance.

Can you tell us yet (please) if the intro to Honeycomb is one or two guitars? Or is it still a secret?
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  09:59:34  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tiven,

When's the Japanese release date?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  10:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One guitar, as I recall.

Please call me Mr. Tiven or Jon. Not Tiven. I believe all of the release dates are July 19. Thank you.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  22:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, As Frank is playing/promoting I BURN TODAY a fair amount, can we assume this is for a commercial single release? I read earlier that IBT was going to be promo only/not commercial, but I do not know for sure. Could there be some b-sides to go with the release [if there's going to be one]. Thanks.

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  00:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as you, jon tiven, are visiting this thread so often, may i express my (and many other's) wish for a HONEYCOMB TOUR !!! including europe, and especially austria, of course.
i suppose you have no control on that, but if you talk to the man again, please encourage him.

thanks a bunch !

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

fluoxetine
- FB Fan -

34 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  04:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

may i express my (and many other's)

I read that as 'My (and my mother's)'.

Gee, I need to wake up...

--------------------

Special favours come in 31 flavours
We're out of mints, pass the life-savers
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  05:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HONEYCOMB dates are already being bandied about, keep in mind that these other musicians have very full schedules so it is not easy to coordinate and might not happen until Sept/Oct.

Don't know about a commercial single, and as the b-sides would probably involve me I think we're talking promo only. But that's only an educated guess.

And for those of you disappointed that you only got one song on Jools, keep in mind that this was the first time The Man played a new HONEYCOMB song in front of an audience, and without a band playing it with you it can be a frightening experience. So let's give it up one more time for FB on bravery alone!

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  05:55:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the boy done good, jon.

like i said in the other thread, i've never seen him sing eyes closed so much
his bravery escapes me sometimes because i've seen him do his thing so many times, i kind of take it for granted
The Man is that, just a man. He is one of the greatest and talented artists i've ever witnessed.
We give it up everytime!

He changed I Burn Today a little to suit the absence of a band, but it sounded beautiful
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  10:53:55  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my girlfriend's just mailed me this:

other tracks are SSMVGD and Sing for Joy

cornered the boy kicked out at the world
the world kicked back alot fuckin' harder

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  10:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the artwork, it looks really good. Once again, thanks for the info fbc.

I could be wrong
I could be right
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  11:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody know who did that artwork?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  08:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another question for mr. jon tiven: i guess an european tour is not very realistic, or is there a light on the horizon ?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  09:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBC,do you know where IBT came from. Is it off Cooking Vinyl, ect.?
thanks

Free the Heel!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  13:37:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there's one on ebay for sale now. i presume it's cooking vinyl, it looks official judging by the artwork and typography, very similar to the HC copy that was on ebay which Mr T said was legit

it all looks beautiful to me
Go to Top of Page

Otherfellers
- FB Fan -

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  11:21:53  Show Profile  Click to see Otherfellers's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't have a question.

I'd just like to point that Drive-by Truckers are utterly amazing. Southern Rock Opera and Dirty South are truly brilliant and to recall an eariler discussion that was once on this board, DBT have got soul.

They pile, they pile, they pile the salad bar
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  19:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fyi, Japanese version of Honeycomb [or Honey Comb as they list it] CD is available for pre-order here:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?type=GC&word=honey+comb&restrict=ALL&step=50&sub=

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  04:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm... what might 2400yen be in Euros or $$?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  08:14:06  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it roughly translates into £12, $22 US dollars, $28 Canadian dollars or 18 euros..

..i think

it all looks beautiful to me
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  06:57:57  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anybody know who did that artwork?

Julian Clark

"No matter how shitty things get, you just have to do a little dance."
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  21:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon thanks so much for being here and taking time to fill me in.

A question that I can understand if you can't answer Jon... are we going to see minor or major changes to the album vs. the leaked verson?

That is so cool that Frank preformed I burn today! I love that song.

By know every song has been my favorite more than once... right now I am back and hooked on go find your saint.

Thanks FBC... you and your girlfriend rock... that cover is amazing and beautiful, just like the original Honeycomb cover... definatly would hope posters of each would go on sale at some pont.

Gosh a little over one more month to go until we see it in stores!!!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 06/04/2005 21:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  04:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the saddle, yippie yo ki yay.......

A You're Peein tour is not completely out of the question, the big factors will be the demand for it based on the success of the record.
Getting Spooner, Reggie, and possibly even Cropper for a tour like this is difficult from a logistical standpoint because they all work with other artists, but it is not impossible. The financial considerations are also there as these are expensive players, but if HONEYCOMB leaps to the top of the charts I know the intent is there on the part of not only Our Artist but the players to make this happen and they are likewise very proud of their participation in HONEYCOMB.

Regarding the difference between the final version and the one that was leaked, there were extensive remixes done after it was leaked and the version that was leaked was not mastered. My opinion is that the leaked version is nowhere near as handsome a presentation as our final version, but gives you a fairly good idea of the direction it was going in. It's like we had this delicious ice cream sundae set to go and somebody grabbed it out of our hands before we put the whipped cream, nuts and cherry on top.....it still tastes good, but the final toppings make it the piece de resistance! The chef is proud of his work, but likes to be able to finish it before everyone gets a taste.

bye,
Jon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000