Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daisy, what a great question, one about which I think we all have been wondering. And Jon, excellent answer. Talk about whetting our appetite. Thank you for all the amazing info.
The date drawing closer makes me realize I need to search the archives for the thread about which retail outlet is best for our purchases to be recorded in the most favorable manner. I was also thinking about how we could help generate buzz at local cd stores which have mass emails they send out that include their top sellers for the week. I sure would love Honeycomb to be on that list for a long time.

All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Go to Top of Page

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you do search the archive and find that post about which retailer it is most favorable to purchase honeycomb from please post a link or point me in that direction because i guess i missed that post. also, i agree- great question and answer. thank you mr tiven, for sharing all of the info with us that you have been kind enough to share.
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Superabounder, great plan concerning generating buzz at local record stores, I'm all in for that...

And, surferben, I like your enthusiasm, hey, are you any kin to Surfer Rosa?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  12:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're very fortunate to be FB fans. Thanks, Mr Tiven.
Go to Top of Page

surferben
- FB Fan -

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  12:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unfortunately no, its just my "clever" reference to the pixies that also has the connotation of surfing the web. basically, its the most witty user name i could come up with, incorporating my love of the pixies with my use of the internet. anyways, it all makes sense to me and i guess that that is whats important.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  13:31:58  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i say the least some of us can do is buy more than one copy. if you have the cash, buy it as a gift for a loved one, a friend, anyone.
heck, send me your extra copies if you like.

I was listeneing to Honeycomb the song today, and was trying to find FB's playing somewhere in the sound. i could pick out two obvious guitars, especially during the intro, but i don't think these were frank by their style. then i had a thought of this track being one which FB only sings on (but i doubt very much). I think he's playing on this track somewhere but it's very subtle, unless he's one of the guitarists i mentioned, in which case i've never heard the man play like this before and i should shut up. Beautiful.

Jon, was the double tracked vocals on SSMVGD some of the nuts added to the ice cream? i didn't here it on the leaked version and i swear i was listening hard.

"No matter how shitty things get, you just have to do a little dance."

Edited by - fbc on 06/05/2005 15:33:01
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  16:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back Porch Records finally has a blurb on FB & Honeycomb, which is quite good btw-
http://www.backporchrecords.com/bpnews.htm

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  16:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, 1965, each Honeycomb article seems to offer a little something different than the next...And when you put them all together, that's a lot of quotes from The Man. My Honeycomb scapbook is getting pretty big and I don't even have the record yet. And again thanks to Sir Jon.

Now, this is good writing [from backporchrecords link above]:

"The deeper you get into this music, into the crystalline mix of subtly passionate singing and the band’s organic groove, the more familiar and yet exotic it sounds. More than just another Frank Black masterpiece, HONEYCOMB is a landmark — and, for Black himself, an epiphany."

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 06/05/2005 17:08:43
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  04:11:43  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
another mighty fine read, thankyou '65.
your last paragraph OldMan is killer. the best thing i've read regarding HC and so true.
i'm sure these are the words I (some of us) tried to express pages back
i'm so happy some press agree. because it's true. you only have to listen to the album to realise.

"No matter how shitty things get, you just have to do a little dance."
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  10:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to jon tiven, and very off-topic, and sorry to everyone for rambling on about my favourite theme, but do you know souled american ? i dream about a pixies or FB solo/catholics gig with souled american as opening act. or vice versa. they are both brilliant. may i encourage you to record a new souled american album. i wonder if FB knows them and if yes, what he thinks of them.
as i said, sorry for this, but it had to go out. again.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  08:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link!!

By the way, is'nt Shannon McNally sure an attractive woman?
Go to Top of Page

glowbug
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  19:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or does Franks singing on Honeycomb seem a little weak and at times out of tune at times? I'm wondering if it's because he often appears to be singing without playing his guitar.
Anyone else agree?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  00:57:39  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Thanks for the link!!

By the way, is'nt Shannon McNally sure an attractive woman?

She is extremely cute! In fact I might buy her record, if only for the cover.

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  02:09:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cooking Vinyl finally has Honeycomb available on preorder:

http://cookingvinyl.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=beta&Product_Code=COOKCD341

Same blurb as elsewhere and no mention of an official I Burn Today ep. What bugs me is that the French online stores still announce a release date on July 4th and I don't know who to believe.

Uh, last thing: this picture

makes it look like it's a digipack. Is it?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  03:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe they want to test the French market first?

Anyway, looks like American fans are less fortunate:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009RJEIS/qid=1118312917/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3528964-4065532

Honeycomb [IMPORT]
Frank Black

List Price: $37.99

Availability: This item will be released on July 26, 2005 . You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

When will Frank find Lyle, Nick and Eric Drew again?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  04:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glowbug

Is it just me or does Franks singing on Honeycomb seem a little weak and at times out of tune at times?

i don't agree with the weak singing, but not sure about it being out of tune. can't say i've noticed yet.

any examples, glowbug?
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  05:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't hear any weakness!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  08:31:04  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, no weakness for me either. Gee, just listen to the "I believe in your perfect face" part of MLIIS... Frank has never sung better than this.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

tobafett
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1713 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frog in the Sand

Maybe they want to test the French market first?

Anyway, looks like American fans are less fortunate:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009RJEIS/qid=1118312917/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3528964-4065532

Honeycomb [IMPORT]
Frank Black

List Price: $37.99

Availability: This item will be released on July 26, 2005 . You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

When will Frank find Lyle, Nick and Eric Drew again?

saw that frog...they also have another one on amazon: $16.99 for that one...37.99 for the other...what's the diff???

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VBU4A/qid%3D1118334671/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-2980634-0610425
Go to Top of Page

glowbug
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  16:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No takers huh? I guess my ears may be deceiving me then, I stand corrected.
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  23:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glowbug

Is it just me or does Franks singing on Honeycomb seem a little weak and at times out of tune at times? I'm wondering if it's because he often appears to be singing without playing his guitar.
Anyone else agree?

Yep, i agree. He is little bit out of tune a couple of places, and I agree that it sound a little weak. However, both can be fixed in the mix... It will be most interesting to compare the rough mix to the final version regarding his voice.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  01:00:28  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again, give examples, glowbug & ivan. We're ready to believe you.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  01:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't have ever put Frank in the category of 'amazing singer', but I'm not sure that's the point: it's all about the soul, baby, he's got that. Having said all that, I think he sounds superb on Dark End Of The Street.

I do remember him saying he'd had some singing lessons about the time of Pistolero, I don't know if they ever continued?

What's a computer?
Eat Y'self Fitter!
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  04:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's no big deal. I just remember that my impression the first times was that he was a little bit out of tune a couple of places. Not a note, but a little bit. It's not a complaint - just an observation. I thought it was interesting and good to know that he's not perfect all the time. If i ever find the time, I will try to be more specific.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  20:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

I wouldn't have ever put Frank in the category of 'amazing singer'

...But his voice sure can soar beautifully when he wants it to!!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  04:24:09  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cheeseman got it right with the 'soul baby'

and it would be cool to hear any out of tuneness (ivan and bug)
don't think anyones trying to be right or wrong, it would just be another interesting fact of HC
so if you can say which songs i'd love to listen

Edited by - fbc on 06/11/2005 04:25:38
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  04:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he does sound a bit nasally at points.

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  05:31:20  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What times?
Which part?
When points?

Did he have a cold?
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  06:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you don't notice it then why care? i wouldn't want to ruin it for you. just had a quick flick through, listen to go find your saint around 1 minute mark.

and where the wind is going has some dodgy singing imo. but that's not on honeycomb

Oh let it linger

Edited by - PixieSteve on 06/11/2005 06:20:20
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  06:31:58  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i only care because it was brought up in conversation. haven't noticed while listening to HC but maybe i wasn't paying enough attention to frank's singing, too busy rocking out.

and it would never ruin anything. in fact it would make things a little better,
gives it more life to hear imperfections like bofoors

you'd be wanting Top 40
CUT! YOU DIDN"T HIT THE HIGH NOTE. DO IT AGAIN! TAKE 6...........CUUUUT!!!!
i don't want no polished record ever. not from frank no way.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  06:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man frank has done quite a few polished records. there is nothing wrong with wanting your record not to sound shit *shrugs*

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  06:42:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
true. the only polished fb i can think of is FB itself and maybe Cult. that's two.
he doesn't seem like someone who would retake a vocal just so it's nailed nicely for the suits to sell.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  08:29:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i forgot to say, cheers for the whats and which's, steve
will go listen
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  10:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superabounder

Daisy, what a great question, one about which I think we all have been wondering. And Jon, excellent answer. Talk about whetting our appetite. Thank you for all the amazing info.
The date drawing closer makes me realize I need to search the archives for the thread about which retail outlet is best for our purchases to be recorded in the most favorable manner. I was also thinking about how we could help generate buzz at local cd stores which have mass emails they send out that include their top sellers for the week. I sure would love Honeycomb to be on that list for a long time.

All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies

Wow thanks so much Suprabounder! Just to build on your awesome answer... thank you thank you thank you Jon your your time and insider info! I can't wait!! I have not as eagerly anticipated the release of any other album in my life. I am going to stop by my local record store just to see if they can set a side 4 or 5 copies for me. I know I need three for me... one for home, another for work. And one just not to play and keep in mint condition. And two copies for lucky souls.

Jon, your answer just hits the spot and I can't wait to have the sundae with all the toppings!! July 19th!!!

Here's two more questions I don't know if you can answer? Do you know what inspired Frank Black on his lyrics in this album?

In addtion to his music, I enjoy Frank's lyrics so much. He is as skilled lyricist and song writer.

But Honeycomb has a very cool, yet more laid back style. His lyrics really draw me in with his creativity and the way he paints a picture and tells a story, much like Dylan.

For example, for the song My Live's in Storage I have a mental picture of Frank taking Violet to this Storage locker. The lyrics are beautiful and just are so fresh and compliment the music so well. I also enjoy the fact they seem a little more personal than other albums (including SMYT) e.g. "Violet," and "Strange Goodbye".

As far as the songs Frank didn't write:(“Song of the Shrimp”, “Dark End of the Street”, and “Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day”) Is there any signifiance behind the choice of these songs. I love them and I think they fit so perfectly along side the ones Frank wrote.

Thanks again Jon for all your time and keeping us fans in the loop!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 06/11/2005 10:35:08
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  11:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a salient question, Daisy: what inspired him. Lyrically throughout much of the
album, he sounds like a man at a crossroads.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000