Page: of 13

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  18:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus
Firsts are to be savored. No matter how prolific Frank remains, there can only be so many first auditions of his stuff.

agreed. and do you want that first impression to be a crappy mp3 you play on your computer? or the full-blown package?

i don't want to get into a downloading music discussion.. but i feel the same way. . i prefer to wait. i like the ritual of buying his album the day it comes out, opening the packaging, and then hearing it, on my stereo etc etc..

"It's somethin' 'bout these motherfuckin' West coast G's"
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5452 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  20:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The western states are nearing agreement. I also wait for the finished CD in all of its plastic wrapped glory.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  03:22:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and it sure is worth the wait

"Georgie Porgie pudding and pie,
Kissed the girls and made them cry
He was under the bottles command"
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  10:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best lyric/melody: "Our house was filled with many birdsm
she said to me 'I can understand their words' ... "

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  11:13:29  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best lyric/melody too:

is your mind gone / are you dog tired / do ya feel like you can't get no worse / i'm a big guy / can we try this /
i will be the whole universe / if you be the centre / you burn inside me like a star / an atom in my heart
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  13:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone mentioned who did the guitar solo in 'My Life In Storage' yet?

As serious as your life
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  15:34:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't think so. One for the producer whenever he returns (two fingers crossed)
Why, do you like?
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  15:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's nice. Very drawn out and sparse, good stuff.
I'm also interested as to which tracks include Steve Cropper, that man's amazing. I'm sure I can distinguish some Cropper-esque guitar in some tracks, but I'd like to have some confirmation.

As serious as your life
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  16:02:18  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

I am looking forward to hearing this album Honeycomb aka Honeycombe more than any previous. Trying to avoid listening to the leaked/rough mix is painful, but I think it will be ultimately worth it in the end. Reminds me of the time FB+C played almost all of Dog in the Sand live months before it was released and the concert was floating around on the net. Hearing those live/early versions of Dog was thrilling [at the time] but effectively spoiled DITS for me when the album was finally released, partly cos I felt I had cheated a little. Although enough time has now passed that I can sit down and listen to Dog and enjoy it, like any other of FB's works. 19th July counting the days.

btw today is my Birthday No.40 ~ just wanted to share that with everyone...

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **

The sound is nor raugh. Actually it's sounds alot better than previous albums. I got "advance" release it's so sweet.. it's like having Frank singing next to me....... I hope the finished produced will sound exactly the same.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  17:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as everybody keeps it nice and friendly I will furnish you with the information you seek, but anybody gets into character assasination, politics, or uncivilized behavior I will vamoose like a goose on the loose.

And no f*cking cursing! I want you guys to pretend that Frank and Violet read all of your posts aloud to Jack, and you consequently should use appropriate language.

If I could ask one more thing.....I would like to be treated with simple respect. Consistently.

Yes, the finished copy sounds infinitely more intimate, the mastering EQ is subtle but definitely adds to the fidelity of HONEYCOMB.

Guitar solo on "Storage" is Reggie Young, he is responsible for most of the "smoother" solos while Cropper's are more biting. I think they should be easy to distinguish.

Steve Cropper plays on the entire album, the "other" guitarists may vary from track to track (Reggie or Buddy Miller) but he is consistently on every track. He's pretty much on the entirety of The Sicilian (or Nashville 2, as it is alternately referred to) as well, with a few exceptions.

The "Atlantis" track will ONLY be available on the Japanese version, so anybody bitching about Al Franken being on a Frank Black cd can do their complaining in Japanese. I can guess import copies will be available here for about $30. It will not be on i-tunes.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  20:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jontiven.... great information! Thanks!

by the way, any information on the bass players? Is there one, or were there a baker's dozen?
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  20:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Much obliged, Sir Jon Tiven...always look forward to your posts

I'll be glad to return the favor, a couple of three whiskeys and Shiner Bocks will be waiting for ya down at the Mercy Lounge tomorrow night (Thursday) at the late show.

Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1656 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  22:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon would you say The Silican is a mellow cd like Honeycomb? (I love honeycomb btw)

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  02:26:47  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Honeycomb has finally appeared in online stores... Just spotted it on fnac.com (French site), with a release date of July 4th.

http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?PRID=1673818&OrderInSession=0&Mn=17&SID=954267a2-74aa-0dfd-b61e-6ed082e4a76d&TTL=200520051120&Origin=fnac_google_home&Ra=-28&To=0&Nu=15&UID=191012455-2204-3630-DDA0-8483B44006C5&Fr=3

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  03:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

Yes, the finished copy sounds infinitely more intimate, the mastering EQ is subtle but definitely adds to the fidelity of HONEYCOMB.
I never listened to the rough mixes, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I definitely agree that it's a very 'intimate' mix - well suited to FB in the light of his previous recordings, I think. Good job.

quote:
Guitar solo on "Storage" is Reggie Young, he is responsible for most of the "smoother" solos while Cropper's are more biting. I think they should be easy to distinguish.

Steve Cropper plays on the entire album, the "other" guitarists may vary from track to track (Reggie or Buddy Miller) but he is consistently on every track. He's pretty much on the entirety of The Sicilian (or Nashville 2, as it is alternately referred to) as well, with a few exceptions.
Thanks - pass on my compliments, the playing's great.
[/quote]

As serious as your life
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  07:18:39  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon, if there was to be a Honeycomb tour, would you be apart of it in anyway?
Supported by 'Jon Tiven Group' maybe?

(we seriously need that JT thread as a bat phone)
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  12:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listening now, it strkes me that 'Dark End Of The Street' is very similar in sound and style to 'Alison' by Elvis Costello; a good thing obviously.

As serious as your life
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  13:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1)All of the bass guitar on HONEYCOMB is by David Hood.

2)I will not be participating in the live shows, as all I played on the album was harmonica on a few tracks and acoustic guitar on "Strange Goodbye," which means if I was to join the band, I would have to actually learn the songs and there are plenty of people more capable of doing that than myself.

3)I would characterize the followup album as being less mellow and more --- for lack of a better word --- "rhythmic."

4)I appreciate the offer of a free drink, but alcohol is not my intoxicant of choice. I'm practically allergic to it.

5)You'll have to ask Elvis Costello about "Alison" resembling "Dark End," I know he is indeed indebted to the work of Dan Penn but I seriously doubt that one song inspired the other.

6)The Ellis Hooks record GODSON OF SOUL will not be released until August 9th, so you cannot purchase it AND Honeycomb at the same time unless you wait until August 9th. My apologies.

Hope that answers your questions of the moment.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  14:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

5)You'll have to ask Elvis Costello about "Alison" resembling "Dark End," I know he is indeed indebted to the work of Dan Penn but I seriously doubt that one song inspired the other.

Don't worry, wasn't trying to insinuate anything :)
Just an observation really - the track's one of my favourites off the album, and I also love the Costello track.

I try not to have the issues with 'influence vs rip-off' that some people have, if a song's good, the song's good.

As serious as your life
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your humble producer just recalled something that may be a mere footnote to most of you, but I think there will be some of you who frequent the board who will find it notable.

The engineer I used on the sesssion where the voice of the notorious AL FRANKEN was recorded ("Atlantis") was RICHARD LLOYD, of the band Television. We recorded it at his studio, and as I doubt that the Japanese release will feature the separate credits for the "Atlantis" sessions, the only place where you are getting this kind of information is right here.

You're welcome. Let's hope there are no Television haters who are going to pop up and say "Oh no, Frank's work is forever defamed, the guitarist in Television engineered one track!"

Okay, let's keep it light, it's the weekend, kids.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  21:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you Jon and all of your posts that I have printed,
I've got a good size scrap book on Honeycomb and The Sicilian (Nashville 2)
filed with incredible behind the scenes,
insider information...

Hey, the whiskey wasn't the only intoxicant at
The Mercy Lounge last night, That Alt Country Bastard
and The Duke of Fender had everyone shit-faced...They'll
be back at Layla's Bluegrass Inn Saturday night
for the late show. I, on the other hand, will not...I've
got some family time to catch up on...Oh yeah,
I've been meaning to ask you,
do you ever attend Ellis' Monday shows at B.B.King's?
I'm hoping to check some out soon

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 05/20/2005 21:42:52
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  02:45:12  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankyou.

quote:

You're welcome.
Go to Top of Page

CkDead
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  17:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honeycomb has a very clean, professional sound to it. The songs are acoustic, calm, and very light, and sound like what Frank was aiming for in this album. It reminds me of Dog in the Sand sometimes, but mostly this is an incredibly original and refreshing album
Go to Top of Page

jonathan
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  14:09:33  Show Profile  Visit jonathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just got an advance copy. Struggling to see what all the fuss is about. To me it seems alright, nothing that really is beyond the Catholics, in any way. A nice record to be listening to on a Sunday evening, and a worthwhile addition to the back catalogue... but roll on Catholics/Pixies stuff. No?

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  12:55:36  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

Jon would you say The Silican is a mellow cd like Honeycomb? (I love honeycomb btw)

The Truth Is Out There

I read that comment above and then Jon answers in a post a few down "3)I would characterize the followup album as being less mellow and more --- for lack of a better word --- "rhythmic.""

What is the Silican [or is it Sicilian?], the follow-up to HC? I remember hearing that one reason Frank returned to the studio was to record more songs and the possibility of HC being 2 discs. What happened to that idea? If the Silican [Sicilian] is the follow-up when will we see it's release?

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"

Edited by - kingphilbert on 05/23/2005 12:58:25
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  14:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is 'The Sicilian', skatealex was mistaken, and yes, it is the follow up to honeycomb, and i believe january was being speculated as the release date? i'm not sure on that last point

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

crippe
- FB Fan -

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  15:45:19  Show Profile  Visit crippe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great bunch of songs! Really (I mean REALLY) mellow album from Sir Francis.
Go to Top of Page

man in black
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  17:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My life is in storage is great until the mellow bit at the end.The album seems totally chilled and mellow,from the tracks I've heard kinda similar to Neil Young.But infused with Franks cool chord changes and unique ear for melody.I thought the album would be a bit loud now the pixies have re-formed,but it's still cool.

P.S. Even though I've already heard some tracks,I will definately still buy this album,simply because Frank is GOD!!!
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  01:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, perhaps this has been mentioned somewhere, but i'm too lazy to go trough all the threads: what is about a vinyl of HC ? yes, no, perhaps ?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  01:57:23  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we talked about it, but I can't remember in which thread. Honeycomb doesn't fit on a simple LP, it's about 55 minutes long, so it'd have to be a double LP (yeah! with gatefold cover!). You should perhaps ask Diverse Records about it, they released SMYT on vinyl.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

geertos
- FB Fan -

Belgium
158 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  03:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, it would fit on 1 lp, but only just. Like Public Enemy's "It takes a nation of millions...", that's 58 minutes long. Or Todd Rungrens "A wizard a true star" (1973): 56 minutes. I have both on 1 vinyl album.

But nowadays, vinyl albums are only made as collectibles for freaks anyway, so they tend to make it double albums, even if it fits on one album.

I guess they could use the fourth side of the vinyl edition for unreleased material. There's a Norwegian band called Motorpsycho who always does that.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  04:03:06  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They did that for the vinyl version of Death To The Pixies too. I say that's a great idea!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

atomicbart
- FB Fan -

France
32 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  13:16:25  Show Profile  Visit atomicbart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We are interested to make it on vinyl, but 50 minutes is the maximum recommended, and a 2lp is too expensive for us.

I really like to make it but if i think that if frank really want to release Honeycomb on vinyl he knows a lot of people and he don't really needs us. But who knows ? Maybe i can dream about it. (i'll be so proud !)

Atomicbart

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/davidjuhel/unrecordingrecords/pages/ur_store.htm
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  17:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy late b day 1965... it's cool you can think of Honeycomb as a late b day present!!

Jon, thanks so much for popping in and schooling us with all this very cool knowledge!

Two questions... did Frank do all the male backing vocals???

Another... can you say yet on what the cd covers look like are they jewel case or cardboard like frankblackfrancis? Just wondering so I can better picture me picking up several copies for myself and for presents to my fave people.

Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  20:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Background vocals are by the late James Griffin (nee of Bread, just passed recently) and the very much alive Ellis Hooks, whose albums I produce & cowrite and the next one, GODSON OF SOUL, ships to stores August 9th courtesy Evidence Records.

Lest we not forget Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham, who sing for "Sing For Joy" (and that's Dan providing on "Dark End").

Hope that is not TOO informative. (LOL)
best,
Jon Tiven

Edited by - Jontiven on 05/26/2005 04:31:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000