Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  12:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you do have the right to be upset at Mr. Thompson's choice of recording partners. However, for the sake of forum peacekeeping, it is NOT cool to openly slander someone who is trying to give us a bit of the inside info. I am not saying that you cannot express your opinion, but try to have a bit more tact in the future, ok?

-Brian

If you move I shoots!

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  16:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the song info JT - should make a nice closer to Honey, ssuming they make it the last/15th track.

btw if Atlantis is exclusive to the Japanese pressing, it is very unklikely it will be made available anywhere else, unless it will be a b-side to a single release maybe, but I don't think that will happen [cue Cigar Volante, Valley Of Our Hope].

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  19:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as singles go I agree with the discussion...but i've gotta add Atom in My Heart and Violet to the list!

It's nice that it's not one of those albums like some other artists with just one good song...they all rock!!

I would get that Japanese ltd edition but I blew my Frank Black/Pixies budget for the summer on going to Lolla!

Gosh the release is coming up soon!! I am a counting the daze!!!

Maybe we could get a count down going on??

Hey Frank if you're reading this, come and do a live set on the Current... PBS alternative radio station in Minny!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 05/12/2005 19:48:54
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  20:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon man, Al Franken is a fair target, he's a highly political celebrity. Besides that he may be your best buddy, but to us he's like Michael Jackson or something. More to the point he wrote a bestselling book that had a title that insulted a fellow idiot, so he shouldn't be suprised if people dislike him.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  02:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the reaction of certain people, you'd think that Frank had been recording with Charles Manson.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  06:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no comment
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  04:27:11  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the Japanese know who Al Franken is.
Maybe I can get it shipped over with my Pure Sencha.

And as the elders of our time choose to remain blind
Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new
Hail Atlantis!

Oh, and I second Daisy's 'Atom in my Heart' for choice of single.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  12:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erebus

I reserve my right to be outraged at Tiven's post. And I'll insult his "friend" anytime I feel like it. Frank must have been out of his mind to let that asshole Franken anywhere near one of his recordings.

Political discussion is not intended for this section of the forum, while personal attacks are not intended for any section of the forum. Mr. Tiven was being fair in defending his friend's character (as opposed to his politics).

That's all I have to say.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  14:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Erebus

I reserve my right to be outraged at Tiven's post. And I'll insult his "friend" anytime I feel like it. Frank must have been out of his mind to let that asshole Franken anywhere near one of his recordings.

Political discussion is not intended for this section of the forum, while personal attacks are not intended for any section of the forum. Mr. Tiven was being fair in defending his friend's character (as opposed to his politics).

That's all I have to say.

Tiven was not “defending his friend's character”. He didn’t say anything about Franken’s character. All he said was: give up your freedom of speech and opinion or I’ll take my ball and go home, which is what you’re saying when you assert “Political discussion is not intended for this section of the forum”. The association of Franken with Frank brings politics into this section, which is the point of my original outrage. How would the average Frank fan feel if the introduction had been narrated by Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter? Well, perhaps you know how I feel. By his own choices Franken has made himself about politics and little else. Frank, and Tiven, know that. They’re the ones who brought politics into the music, and so are fairly judged in those terms. But political outrage is but one part of my reaction. The vehemence I displayed was toward the ethical posture demonstrated by Tiven’s reply, which showed all the moral development of a gradeschooler who tries to buy the friendship of another by offering a nickel. “If I give you a nickel, will you be my friend?” That is what really pissed me off. Sorry. Whatever intellectual integrity I possess is worth more than all the nickels Tiven has to offer.

Edited by - Erebus on 05/14/2005 14:36:11
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Tiven has been far more than generous by taking his time to share this information with us. Thanks to Mr. Tiven we have a Hell of a lot more information than we would have known if he wasn't here. Though you may not like it, Mr. Tiven didn't have to come here in the first place, but he chose to, and he has every right to say that he won't come back if he or his friend is being insulted. Hell, if it was me, and I chose to be kind and post stories and details about the recording process of an album I produced for Frank Black and all I got back in return, instead of overwhelming gratitude, was a bunch of people (or one person in this case) calling me an asshole and saying the presence of my good friend's voice on one of Frank's songs was enough to taint his entire career, I probably wouldn't feel like coming back again and taking my time to share the information that I had NO OBLIGATION TO SHARE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Now I don't give a flying fuck about politics--It's all different means to the same end as far, as I'm concerned, until we radically change the way we think and act, which most people are entirely unwilling to do and prefer to begin new radical political movements, which are nothing more than reactions which inevitably lead to more of the same conflict--and I'd just assume leave politics out of Frank's music, but Al Franken is obviously a friend of Mr. Tiven's and, whether or not I have a problem with Al Franken's political views (and I don't even know his political views; in fact, I've never even heard of the guy until now), I'm not going to attack the friend of a guest (and one who probably feels very unwelcome at the moment) to this forum, who has, out of the kindness of his heart, taken much of his time to answer our questions and provide information. I don't think he's asking much by simply requesting that we respect himself and his good friend. This is a forum for Christ's sake. It's not like you're obligated to sit at your computer and read it. If you don't like someone, either wait until the appropriate time or don't speak at all about it.

Now, Mr. Tiven, I for one am extremely gratefull for all that you have done for us, and I hope you feel that your presence here is welcomed and appreciated because I believe, for the majority of us, it is.

¡Viva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  16:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look guys can we puhleez sidebar the Al Franken discussion and take it to general chat? It's tacky to have it out here. I really think this is detracting from the the thread which is to celebrate a beautiful work of art that Frank has given us!

I know we all agree that Frank Black is the best artist to ever hit the planet and can we all just respect that we have this in common and let bygones be bygones and celebrate the beautiful music of all that is Frank?

My newest favorite song is I Burn Today. Honeycomb is another song on the album that is so wonderful too!! I keep changing every time I listen to it. It's so beautiful.

Yesterday after listening to it for four times, for most of the songs, now know mentally what the next song is going to be.
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  06:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello y'all,

I was going to sit this one out but I must respond to Erebus' attacks.

Let's cut to the chase. Al Franken is not just a friend of mine, he's one of the great comic minds of our generation, and yes he has a political slant so dittoheads like Erebus get their panties in an uproar when his name comes up. It was obvious from bus' post that his reaction was thusly motivated---but also obvious that bus has little sense of humor. His idea of a conversation is "Fuck you," which is hardly civil and here I am trying to give a little love and info after y'all told me you'd behave and then he start sliming Al Franken who is someone FB welcomed on this version of "Atlantis."

Now just to set the record straight, Al and I have great political differences. He actually believes that the government can improve your life, while I think politicians are completely hopeless and self-serving, but I applaud his optimism in the face of the crumbling of Western Civilization. I would probably find him funny regardless of his political affiliation. And I have been around quite a few people who are professionally funny (much of it resulting from being John Belushi's guitar teacher) so although I don't pretend to be a connoisseur of humor I do have first hand experience with some of the greats.

I also have had tremendous experiences producing some of the greats of music---in blues B.B. King, Robert Cray, Wilson Pickett, Little Milton.......in rock Robert Plant, Paul Rodgers, Ronnie Wood....in country Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson....alternative new wave Alex Chilton, Jon Spencer, Debbie Harry, Richard Lloyd, The Feelies.....

So for you, Erebus, an anonymous piece of shit who hides behind his computer and launches attacks at me and questions my cred, and why would FB want to work with me, all I have to say to you is WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MAKE THE WORLD BETTER? GO SUCK ON DICK CHENEY'S LIMO TAILPIPE OR SOMETHING. But get off this thread, you are an embarassment to all FB fans with your slimey "no comment" bullshit and self-aggrandizing slop. I didn't bring my politics here, nor any hatred, it's all on you. So take it home.

I'm not going to post for awhile, but anybody who wants to step up and defend me, by all means. But let's keep the hating off the board (and don't give me a hard time for mine Erebus, you've had three responses and I've been sitting here stewing but enough is enough).
This is about Honeycomb, it should be sweet like the music.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  06:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[EDIT]

ahem...

this is my thread. i started it, that's why it belongs to me, and that's why it is mine. all mine.

and i dislike some of the language being used here. like somebody calling other people assholes all the time. and it results in reading about dick cheney's dick. i do completely understand the anger of jon tiven, but nevertheless, this is all very sad & disgusting.

let's just ignore this socially challenged person called erebus. just don't react. it's not worth the abrasion of the keys. that's the advantage of virtual meetings like this, that you can ignore certain people quite effectively.

"please, no violence. so safe yourself a lot of hassle and we are going to have a great show tonight". (a penny to the one who knows where this is from, to get this thread to the sunny side again)

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Edited by - two reelers on 05/15/2005 06:52:56
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  08:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Erebus hasn't taught Margaret Cho how to play the guitar and perhaps doesn't have any celebrity friends, but does that mean he's a worthless human being? Mr. Tiven, you are jumping to conclusions, no? I do however agree that this thread should be split and the name-calling and mud-slinging can continue off topic.
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  09:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of staying quiet to allow a few more comments in the interim, but I’ll speak up now, hopefully without exacerbating the situation, so the thread can resume its previous course, insofar as that may prove possible.

I regret the tone of my initial reponse to Tiven’s reply to my strong objection to the involvement of Franken. I wrote full of the first heat of reaction. The substance I will stand by. In any case, it would have been more effective had I been less insulting. I admit to being socially challenged. The “no comment” was meant to imply that Manson would have been preferable.

I have read less than ten percent of this thread, preferring as I do to wait until I can buy the disc and listen to it fresh. Every few days I would check the thread, just to make sure I wasn’t missing something I’d like to learn, and unfortunately when I checked in this past week I learned something I don’t like at all, namely an association between my favorite artist and a person I consider one of the more loathsome on the planet. I freaked; Tiven defended; I impuned his moral character on the basis of his reply. Neither Tiven’s relation to Frank and his music nor his contributions here to the understanding of same were or are relevant to the substance of my opinions, which were based in the first case entirely upon prior familiarity with Franken and in the second upon the simple content of Tiven's first reply.

In conclusion, I hope that Tiven will not judge or punish the entire forum for my individual opinions. Most people here can tell him that I am a singular case, at least within this community. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  09:51:07  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i don't know who al franken is so i can't say if he's an idiot or not, but even admitting that he is one i don't see why one should attack JT for this. and distributing "fucks" right and left can hardly be considered a political discussion anyway. erebus you seriously need to calm down or you 'll get a heart attack by simply reading a message board.

any answers on where to find a copy of the japanese version?

i bash newbies for a living
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  10:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, how do we get our greedy frank-loving hands
on that japanese cd?

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  11:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, i'd wait till it was out first, and then try an import it.

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  13:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

I'm not going to post for awhile, but anybody who wants to step up and defend me, by all means.

[...]

This is about Honeycomb, it should be sweet like the music.

bye,
Jon

riiiiiight.

didn't this particular thread get started because there was a big jon tiven vs. whoever flame war in the honeycomb topic in the general fb section? enough is enough already.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  18:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone comment on the final version of Honeycomb, if they've heard it..

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  20:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I haven't. I can't wait for the final version and the Japanese one too!

But I have heard all the tracks on there and it is sweeter than honey!!

It's definately different from FB's prior stuff. He said it was influenced by Blonde on Blonde, and I feel that but there is also an extra element of richness and more variety.

It's amazing-- one of those albums you can listen to all day and not get tired...It's my new favorite album!

Edited by - Daisy Girl on 05/15/2005 20:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  00:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to hearing some of the songs live (hopefully)!
Go to Top of Page

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  04:47:29  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Can anyone comment on the final version of Honeycomb, if they've heard it..

I downloaded an advance copy, but I doubt it's the final version.

Sounds very similar to the first leaked version.

The track order is right though.

I'm tall, I'm Dutch, and Kathryn is still married to her wine connaisseur
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  10:14:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the songs live (hopefully)!

(definately)!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  04:59:42  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

To the chosen few out there who have heard the Honeycomb rough mix... what song do you think would be the best to release as a single?

Sprite posted - 05/17/2005 :  04:24:59      
------------------------------------------------------------------------
and I Burn Today single release on June 20th (news from the HUB)
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  09:32:33  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why is it does anyone know (where are for art thou Jon) the Japanese get the bonus tracks?
Is it a marketing strategy (tapping into the asian market, make more money from albums having to be imported from Japan)
or does FB have a big following over there?

Just wondering that's all.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  09:39:45  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason I was told is that CDs in Japan are much more expensive than in the rest of the world, so they add bonus tracks to make people in Japan buy domestic releases instead of imported CDs. I could be completely wrong though.

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  09:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Anton Fig! That's cool. He did the drums on Unmasked (KISS, yeh - my old favorite band), and was Ace Frehley's drummer at the beginning of his (poor) solo-career.
2) I have never believed that musicians have special politial gifts, so they should stay out of politics. Which FB has done (hasn't he?). So, I have hard time understanding why Franken should taint FB - the artist. If he can play, that is.
3) But Erebus seems like a nice person, mostly polite too. So both Erebus and Tiven should give Erebus a break and forget about it. Peace and understanding, man.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  10:37:42  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks vilainde. That makes perfect sense. Could be completely wrong but sounds completely right. merci.

quote:
Peace and understanding, man.

(Just thought this was a nice quote to leave my post with)
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  15:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okey doke - I waited until I got my legit copy before I listened to any of Honeycomb. Now I have my promo copy, chances are that'll be the final tracklisting (correct me if I'm wrong, Jon):

Selkie Bride
I Burn Today
Lone Child
Another Velvet Nightmare
Dark End Of The Street
Go Find Your Saint
Song Of The Shrimp
Strange Goodbye
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Honeycomb
My Life Is Strange
Atom In My Heart
Violet
Sing For Joy

I like it. I think I'm going to take it very slowly, as it seems like other FB albums have taken a while to grow on me - I'm going to see if I listen to this one more occasionally whether I'll get a hankering for it. I suspect I will. It seems like all the songs are very well crafted, and very Frank. I especially like Go Find You Saint, Song Of The Shrimp, Strange goodbye and SSMVGD (quadruple whammy!), but I'll reserve judgement on the album as a whole.

As serious as your life
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anyone got the words for the songs in Honeycumb?
I hear it's very beautifull and I want to use the words
My English is nor prefect, so i don't understand it all
Please, Help.
Yeah, I know it's not officially released but i'm a big big fan and I will buy it anyway
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  16:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to hearing this album Honeycomb aka Honeycombe more than any previous. Trying to avoid listening to the leaked/rough mix is painful, but I think it will be ultimately worth it in the end. Reminds me of the time FB+C played almost all of Dog in the Sand live months before it was released and the concert was floating around on the net. Hearing those live/early versions of Dog was thrilling [at the time] but effectively spoiled DITS for me when the album was finally released, partly cos I felt I had cheated a little. Although enough time has now passed that I can sit down and listen to Dog and enjoy it, like any other of FB's works. 19th July counting the days.

btw today is my Birthday No.40 ~ just wanted to share that with everyone...

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  17:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday, 1965!! Life really begins at forty, take Frank for example!
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  18:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am looking forward to hearing this album Honeycomb aka Honeycombe more than any previous. Trying to avoid listening to the leaked/rough mix is painful, but I think it will be ultimately worth it in the end. Reminds me of the time FB+C played almost all of Dog in the Sand live months before it was released and the concert was floating around on the net. Hearing those live/early versions of Dog was thrilling [at the time] but effectively spoiled DITS for me when the album was finally released, partly cos I felt I had cheated a little. Although enough time has now passed that I can sit down and listen to Dog and enjoy it, like any other of FB's works. 19th July counting the days.

btw today is my Birthday No.40 ~ just wanted to share that with everyone...

With Dog it wasn't the live boots that did it to me. Rather, I did download the songs, in mp3 format, but upon listening to one track it just didn't feel right. Not in any sense of ripping off Frank or anything like that, but simply because I cherish novelty, full-blown with store-bought cover and notes. So after that one track I put it aside. I wanted to wallow in it, and knew I could wait. Firsts are to be savored. No matter how prolific Frank remains, there can only be so many first auditions of his stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  18:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's exciting to get a preview of something, but it's not the finished product,as intended!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000