Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  13:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blaireau Man, if there's one song you must give another chance to, it's Selkie Bride. One of the best on the album and it fits in as a mix between New House of the Pope and Everything Is New on SMYT. Strange Goodbye is the first song I've listened to with lyrics/performance that make my eyes well up. It's just so damned sad.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Wooteenie!"
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  15:18:18  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Life Is In Storage positively absolutely 100% my favourite!

listening to it now

favouritest

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Go to Top of Page

Blaireau Man
- FB Fan -

France
16 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  05:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Blaireau Man's Homepage  Click to see Blaireau Man's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I didn't say it was shit, just...well, i dislike it.
some songs are ok (for me, of course) and i agree that its cool to hear frank singing a duo. but i cant find it sad, just nice... all the songs are nice, yeah i think i'm getting what's the problem, it's biemotionnal, no anger, no madness, just love and sadness

NH3 OH I LOve YoU So Much

Edited by - Blaireau Man on 04/14/2005 05:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  07:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blaireau Man

it's probably because i'm not american that i can't get into this record. all the songs sound (almost, i'm honest) the same for me. it's too far dug into american culture so it will surely not please to a lot of non-american

I strongly believe that music has little to do with national boundaries (except folk, of course). And the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean that it's too-american, it's just the music you don't like.
Go to Top of Page

puredenizenofthecitizensb
- FB Fan -

Uzbekistan
150 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  07:55:18  Show Profile  Visit puredenizenofthecitizensb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank transcends international boundaries just like Jerry Lewis.

How come we say Los Angeleez?

Edited by - puredenizenofthecitizensb on 04/14/2005 12:20:42
Go to Top of Page

Blaireau Man
- FB Fan -

France
16 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  09:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Blaireau Man's Homepage  Click to see Blaireau Man's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Southbound Bevy

quote:
Originally posted by Blaireau Man

it's probably because i'm not american that i can't get into this record. all the songs sound (almost, i'm honest) the same for me. it's too far dug into american culture so it will surely not please to a lot of non-american

I strongly believe that music has little to do with national boundaries (except folk, of course). And the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean that it's too-american, it's just the music you don't like.

if frank made music that i wouldn't like, i wouldn't be here.
well i listened to it (for the fourth time) and like 2 of the songs, lone child and my life is in storage (except the long solo that i find too much pop-janet-jackson-bryan-adams-esque)

Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

Uzbekistan
150 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  18:54:20  Show Profile  Visit puredenizenofthecitizensb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being American, FB probably doesn't give a fuck what the French think.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  19:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No call for being obnoxious, American or not.

Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

Uzbekistan
150 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Visit puredenizenofthecitizensb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're from Canada. When are we gonna get some new Rush dude?

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully soon. If only for Kim's sake.

Go to Top of Page

Blaireau Man
- FB Fan -

France
16 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  07:18:07  Show Profile  Visit Blaireau Man's Homepage  Click to see Blaireau Man's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puredenizenofthecitizensb

You're from Canada. When are we gonna get some new Rush dude?

clever answer, you'll go to heaven

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  00:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey jon, is this your studio? (where Honeycomb was recorded)

Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  05:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, you got my attention. No, that is Better Songs & Gardens which belongs to Dan Penn and lovely wife Linda Penn and that is where we tracked HONEYCOMB. Yes that's me and The Man. Nice photo. There are no photos available of my studio, Hormone Studios.

bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

DivisionPelagic
- FB Fan -

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  16:14:34  Show Profile  Visit DivisionPelagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really enjoy Sing For Joy, and I was wondering about the line,

"I get away, in my getaway car. Every now and then I send my regards from a payphone down in the Flats."

I am from near Cleveland, OH and I was thinking maybe this was a reference to the Flats of Cleveland, but I wasn't sure. Anyone have any idea? I don't know if there are any popular "Flats" around other parts of the country, and being from Ohio, I of course can be very oblivious at times to the rest of the country outside the average borders of average Ohio.

I've heard a lot of noise, so I'm going to the stereo store, to get a white noise maker and turn it up to ten.
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  03:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could anyone check the words for me, please? I think I’ve made some mistakes (Rino, parts of Californ, Semiano??? a-lying). Thanks.

All around the world

Put the needle in my arm
And I’ll be dead and gone
Put the needle in my arm
I wouldn’t mind a needle
I’ve just been on this road so long, oh boy
Been all around the world

And all the way to Rino and parts of Californ
And all the way down Rino and parts of Californ
I had some kind of luck
Wished I never had been born, oh boy

I went upon the signal hill
And then I made my stand
I went upon the signal hill
And there I made my stand
Bullets in my pocket
Semiano in my hand, oh boy

Put the needle in my arm
Put the needle in my arm
I wouldn’t mind a needle
Just a-lying in a jail so long, oh boy

You put me down into the chair
And then I close my eyes
You put me down into the chair
And then I closed my eyes
Last words that I remember
Won’t be long before you die, oh boy

Put the needle in my arm
Put the needle in my arm
I wouldn’t mind a needle
Just a-lying in a grave so long, oh boy

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  04:52:43  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey southbound, here you go:

I think Rino is spelt 'Reno'
'semiano' is semi-auto, as in a gun.

Edited by - fbc on 04/19/2005 04:53:23
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  04:59:33  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Jon, out of curiosity, and if you read this, are you friend Jo(h)n who turned Frank onto, can't decipher the words, on Go Find Your Saint? I always wonder this when I hear the song.

What's the decipher part if you don't mind (i hear: "turned me onto the same kinda blahblah")
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBC what do you think of the line All the way to Reno and parts of Californ... What that could mean?
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  13:15:38  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reno is a place in America me thinks, and Californ is FBs abbreviation for...dun-dun-duhhhhh.....Californ.i.a.
frank likes cruising

oh, and just a-lying refers to him lying down, like flat on ya back? know what I mean?
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, if I turned him onto the Saint of Inanimate Objects it was inadvertent, y'know. But you'll have to ask him. It might have been me.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:31:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jon.

And I would if i could. I'll just keep on'a wonderin'
Hope it's all going well.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5452 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reno is in Nevada and close to the California border. And, it's the Biggest Small Town in the World or so they say. Or, it's a cheap imitation of Vegas or so I say.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Reno is in Nevada and close to the California border. And, it's the Biggest Small Town in the World or so they say. Or, it's a cheap imitation of Vegas or so I say.

The area around it is beautiful, but Reno is the Biggest Little Shithole in the West.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  16:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't be dissin' Erebus' crib
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  17:18:55  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i didn't know these pics were from the HC sessions, but after floop's post...

Edited by - fbc on 04/19/2005 17:23:46
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  01:19:32  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK where do you find all these cool pics?

Denis

Let's go get sushi and not pay!
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  05:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

quote:
Originally posted by darwin

The area around it is beautiful, but Reno is the Biggest Little Shithole in the West.

That's pretty harsh guys. Reno lies in a high desert valley of pleasant, livable environment surrounded by mountains, an hour from Lake Tahoe, within easy driving distance to Yosemite, the SF Bay Area, Death Valley, and many other wonders of the American west. The weather here is moderate, with four distinct, beautiful seasons. The truth is that it is Las Vegas that is the "imitation" of "the Biggest Little City". Reno was an internationally recognized entertainment and gambling center when Las Vegas was still the goat town that would later rise on the back of mob money and proximity to a burgeoning Southern California. Reno is far from perfect, but having travelled much of the west, I'll take it over almost anything its size or larger.

Edited by - Erebus on 04/20/2005 05:27:11
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:40:11  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

I grabbed mine off the net April last year, before I even knew about Honeycomb.

here's the site - http://www.buddyandjulie.com/frankblack.html

Edited by - fbc on 04/20/2005 14:52:19
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  15:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

secret forum
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  00:50:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HA! I'm in the secret forum, and the only pictures I've seen there were those of song oracle in a swimsuit.

Denis

Let's go get sushi and not pay!
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  22:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
holding court in 7 mins.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  03:34:26  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frnck blck

holding court in 7 mins.

i wish. so many questions
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  08:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, we've missed Frank. There were like two or three people on line. GMT sucks!
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  22:17:36  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"My life is in storage" is a pretty good song, from what I heard.

I can honestly say that even though I probably won't like this record, I can easily say that this sounds nothing like anything he's ever recorded.

No two albums sound quite alike, and some albums are COMPLETELY different from one another.

On second thought, I guess Come On Pilgrim sounded a bit like Surfer Rosa, and Honeycomb may sound like The Sicilian.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  01:56:29  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Live-to-two-track has been put on the back burner for this one, so it does sound different to any Catholic record, and so to the distortion from FB solo of old, so again, it won't sound like any album you've heard before. If you like acoustic songs and a fan of chord progressions, then I can't see how you won't like this, IceCream, plus it has the quality and style of Frank Black written all over it.
My Life Is In Storage is a "pretty good song", yep, have you heard the intro to Honeycomb? Atom In My Heart is 100% FB. That little thing of his of cutting a song short, making the listener wish it would be just a tad longer, an extra verse or chorus. But you know deep down it's perfect the way it is.

Eire, here I come!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000