Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  17:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i gotta say, I love frank black. Really, without question my favorite. So it is hard to say it but what Ive heard of honeycomb, and the whole FBF album have ... I dont even know how to put it. It stinks, for the most part. Sorry frank, really, I dont mean to offend
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to sound contrarian or repetitive, but

FB+TheCs tour in support of Honeycomb Fall 05!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

the man who is too loud
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  03:08:41  Show Profile  Click to see the man who is too loud's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to say to the people who judge after hearing it once, that Frank's music always asks for a second , a third and even a fourth listen before you start to like it. (at least for me)
But yeah , even after lots of listening I have to agree it's not his best cd, at least not in this stage.
something else you probably know, song of the shrimp isn't new is it? here is a life video of FB singing it in 2001 http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/groups/index.jsp?groups=63248
(third vid)
One thing that ain't right is that we want everything he makes, but we also want everything to be good. If he would make HC a one disc affair it could still be a fullworthy Frank Black CD, so we'll have to wait and see. But can we agree to wait untill it comes out to make a final judgement?

Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  08:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DON't FORGET HE IS A FREE MAN UNLIKE MOST OF US !

FREE TO JUDGE, THAT IS ALL WHAT WE ARE FREE TO DO !

FREE TO TURN ON AND OFF OUR COMPUTER!!!! BLOODY MACHINES.

"MY oH MY, your dear fellow hWolsky is suspected to be Nazi by someone here... What a Shame!"
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  08:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep and free to turn off your stereo, turn on your computer and give you opinion.
Go to Top of Page

toeknee
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  14:05:13  Show Profile  Click to see toeknee's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you guys think that judging by what we've heard so far it would lauded or panned by the critics? I think they would lap it up personally.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  14:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who knows with those guys. SMYT was really well received and so maybe a further move into the realm of country with some really classic stuff and fresh sound (despite being a logical step from BLD->SMYT->Honeycomb, many of the songs on here sound like nothing he's ever done).

I think he'll score points on getting what feels like a really rootsy record with lots of strength and tenderness all at once, but perhaps he'll lose points from people that might consider it 'done' and 'derivative'. And not derivative in the rate-of-change sense either.

I guarantee there will people out there saying the fat should be trimmed and it would've been a better album if ____ songs were missing. Granted, there are a few on there that I wouldn't choose, but they don't mean to me what they mean to FB, obviously, so who am I to say?

I imagine that it'll probably come in around 7.5, not that it deserves so low a mark, and not having heard the finished product, but it seems no matter how great an album is, it gets reviewed poorly or harshly. To me, it's a great Nashville record, but that sound isn't really my first choice in listening.

"Join the Cult of Frank / Seriously."
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1462 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  17:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll give it an unbiased fumanbru rating of 9.5/10 on the version i've heard. once the finished product comes out i'm confident it will get an 11. as with any critique of frank's albums it is absolutely necessary that the reviewer listen to the album numerous times over an extended period. that is where so many reviews of the past have gone awry.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  03:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will get poor reviews over here.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  07:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ ratings:

i have no idea and it bothers me as less as a bycicle accident in china. i guess (hope) FB has made enough money with the pixies-reunion so that he will have similiar thoughts.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  04:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Oh sorry I forgot, you don't care.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  09:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they dropped them off with their chinese lover !

Edited by - two reelers on 03/11/2005 09:06:54
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  17:20:18  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As much as I love Franks music, I have to admit that I don't really like Honeycomb in its current version. The first few songs are pretty good, but then it becomes boring and does nothing for me.

But as people say it is not the finish version so I am only judging a work in progress. I'll still buy it there is no doubt about that though.

This is a high class bureau de change, not some Punch & Judy show on the seafront at Margate!
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  02:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that the important measure of successfulness of the album is the ability to produce neophytes, new fans. We, long-time fans of the big man, are kind of conditioned to like and accept every new song, so we can not judge if the music is great or sucks. Trompe Le Monde or TOTY had huge potential and according to this line of measure could be considered the work of genius. Honeycomb discussion led me to think that it would be interesting to hear the opinion of people who have never heard of Frank Black or Pixies, and whose perception is not clouded and distorted by the years of appreciation. So I asked students, who showed any interest to listen to HC for several weeks. That is where I’m at now. In 2 or 3 weeks I’ll ask them about their impression.

P.S. If the actual album as it officially comes out contains 13 songs like the previous, it would be not worse than SMYT, maybe even better, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

ElevatorLady
= Cult of Ray =

385 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  03:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey this is great Southbound Bevy! You're a man of action. Looking forward to the results!
Go to Top of Page

Kingmob999
- FB Fan -

57 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  15:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been a month since I said that honeycomb and fbf "stinks" and now that Ive listened to it several times I say fbf is still not very good and honeycomb is really just "good". I loved every FB record excluding "cult" and I really think he found his thing with the past few catholics albums. I mean I loved the catholics stuff, but honeycomb is really just a luke warm version in my eyes. I am thrilled that he will be touring with the catholics again though.
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  12:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 'honeycomb',
I love it, i love it, i love it!

The evolution of Frank Black is an exciting ride to be part of. Going from acoustic rock, to math rock, to classic rock, to country rock, to country has been a mind-trip. There really isn't another musician that could have pulled this off for me. I mean, 5 years ago I wouldn't have given consideration to a simple folk/country album like "honeycomb".

The great thing is that you identify the trademarks Black keeps in -all- albums. It used to be the 'math rock' element, but after hearing the new one, Black is defined by the chord progressions. (using minor chords instead of major, and vice versa... music theory talk)

Frank, if you ever need a bass player who understands what you're doing musically, just email me. When it comes to your lyrics, I'm clueless ;)

rock over london, rock on chicago
Why the Hell would you use the color 'beige' for your text?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  16:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kingmob999

I am thrilled that he will be touring with the catholics again though.

is this true? i've missed something somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

spaceghost11
- FB Fan -

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HC seems very lazy to me....I celebrate Franks whole catalogue, especially the Pixies, but it seems he has reached an all time low as far as effort. We all know he can write great songs, both Pixies and Catholics (although I would contend that there is not much difference between the two, aside from arrangements and instruments), but I am certainly getting sick of the half-assed recording techniques that have become the norm for him. I REALLY hope that he can get his Pixies side together and get into the studio for real, so we can remember what it was like to hear a well produced album and a true original band. The Catholics are, believe it or not, a souped up bar band and a far cry from the hugely intelligent musicians that are the Pixies, and their lack of success, both critical and sales-wise reflects that. Let's hope that Frank doesnt let this recent wave of Pixies good will pass by and lose an opportunity to get some money together and get in a studio with his real band and write some relevant songs and make a REAL ALBUM.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  13:20:46  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hu hu
relevant songs like Bam Thwok?

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

spaceghost11
- FB Fan -

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  15:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would take 1 bam thwok over 25 HC's
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

hu hu
relevant songs like Bam Thwok?

Denis

well put.

Go to Top of Page

Bitch Cakes
- FB Fan -

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  16:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spaceghost11

Would take 1 bam thwok over 25 HC's

You got yourself a deal!
Go to Top of Page

jbstevens
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  08:53:25  Show Profile  Click to see jbstevens's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I haven't posted for a long time, my dad's had been very ill for a while, and chatting online about music just didn't seem very important.

I got a copy of HC towards the end of last year, just as my dad went into hospital. It played repeatedly in the car whenever I made the 4 hour (each-way) drive to visit, so I got to know it pretty intimately. Dad died in January, and now I can't listen to HC without thinking of him.

As for whether it's any good or not, I personally love it, but hope that FB doesn't do many more like it. For me, the great thing about FB's work is the variety. I like TOTY, but I like equally the live sound of the Catholics era albums. HC is just further proof that FB's talent transcends genres - what can we expect next, gangsta rap?

quote:
HC seems very lazy to me

Don't be fooled - it takes a lot of talent to make it sound so effortless, especially considering this is recorded live.

quote:
It used to be the 'math rock' element

What's "math rock"?

"Yellow fifty-two / He's an undertaker bee"
Go to Top of Page

jbstevens
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  09:11:25  Show Profile  Click to see jbstevens's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

Diggin the "I got blisters on my fingers" nod to john Lennon at the end of Velvet Nightmare.

Anyone remember the Beatles song John yells this on?
been skipping through their tracks but no joy yet, it escapes me so far, and there's a few songs to go through.

Helter Skelter?

Sorry to stay off-topic a little, but this reminded me of an interview FB did with the Sunday Times (UK) when DITS was released...

Walking unnoticed through Soho Square in London, Frank Black - the artist formerly known, when he was singer-songwriter with the Pixies, as Black Francis - has his own tribute to pay. Striding up to an imposing office building, the 34-year-old presses his bulky frame against the glass door. After a pause for private communion, he intones: "This is it, this is the place."

The building in question is the London HQ of Paul McCartney's empire. When one of his companions questions his choice of homage with the predictable assertion that, hey, McCartney sucks and anyway Lennon wrote all the Beatles' good songs, Black's riposte is swift and emphatic. "Lennon did some sugary shit. It was Helter Skelter that started it all."

"Yellow fifty-two / He's an undertaker bee"
Go to Top of Page

brokencalfornian
- FB Fan -

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  23:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cracked. I didn't even make it a single week. Here I am 5 hours shy of my deadline. I'm pulling an all-nighter this fine Sunday, how I spend almost every Sunday...I got myself my coffe and I got myself some dope...One ice-blended chai and a couple of rips off the trusty vaporizer...and then it happens...i break out the Honeycomb and turn up the volume.
Absolutely f'n brilliant. "My Life Is In Storage" kept me mesmerized.
Frank's at the top of his game here. Seriously, dude, it's beautiful. I mean I don't even know what to say...
...more to come...
Oh, one more thing...Spaceghost...Bam Thwok???...C'mon man...get real...

Edited by - brokencalfornian on 04/10/2005 23:41:09
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  02:51:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jbstevens, sorry about your Dad. I'm not sure you care much about condolences from some unknown guy on the net, but you have my sympathy anyway.
I wanted to say I totally agree with everything you wrote. HC is all but lazy. And I love it, just as I'd love a new Pixies record, or a new Catholics record, or anything provided Frank writes 15 more great songs on it.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  03:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hurted when I see bad comments about Honeycomb.n I think Frank is doing better and better, that's what I most apreciate in an artist, it's the capacity of changing.
If he wanted, he surely knew how to do more Pixies like music, but he's just too ahead of it.

I love Honeycomb, can't wait for the official one.

I feel like a completely different person
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  04:04:05  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is true for anyone else, but my opinion of Honeycomb has definately been shaped by the fact i've been riding the wave of Fb's muic for a long time. I was there when he was rocking out with his distortion, i was one of the first in my town to anticipate and hear the very first Catholics record and i'm still here now a few hundred songs later.

I never had the pleasure of finding Frank and then having a handful of solo and catholic records to choose from as my next listen. I've been with some of you waiting for the next release, one record at a time, and have watched and listened as his songwriting's grown, every step of the way.
I so appreciate where Frank's music's at now.
And aslong as he keeps writing, i know there's going to be plenty more twists and turns to look forward to.

Edited by - fbc on 04/11/2005 04:22:24
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  05:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it’s been a month since I asked several students who had had no idea of Frank Black’s existence to listen to HC (see the last post). Yesterday I asked them about what they thought of it. And their answers were unexpected. All of them, ALL told me that they liked the album a lot, which makes me think that we are being too hard on HC. Expecting God knows what from each of his new songs we don’t realize that we are listening to a very talented musician, no matter how many tracks or how much money he puts in his albums. It’s kind of contradicts my previous massages, but only in emotional kind of way, cause I still think that HC is not his best work, but I’ve got to admit that now I wouldn’t call it his worst. Students absolutely love it. They even had difficulty answering my next question about which songs could be omitted in the final release. Among the least popular were Violet, Kiss My Ring and My Life is in Storage. Still nobody wanted actually to reduce the album down to 14 songs.

Well, I want to propose an opinion poll under the title of “Which ones wouldn’t be there for the final release if I were the Man”. We know that it’s going to be 14, so we have 5 to dispose of.
I’d not include Kiss My Ring
Highway to Lowdown
Go Find Your Saint
Violet
Where the Wind is Going
I took them out of playlist and guys… it’s a different thing now. It’s solid and much better in terms of ratio between very good and plain normal tracks.
It will be very interesting to listen to the opinions of all other people out there

P.S. I took me like 5 minutes to find the thread, though I like new look of the forum
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  07:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a fan of Violet at all, but Kiss My Ring & My Life Is In Storage are two of my favourites. Weird. I'd have to listen more to get a better sense of some of the others...

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Wooteenie!"
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2001 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  11:44:39  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would discard Dark End of the Street, Another Velvet Nightmare and Violet.
Go to Top of Page

Blaireau Man
- FB Fan -

France
16 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  12:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Blaireau Man's Homepage  Click to see Blaireau Man's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's probably because i'm not american that i can't get into this record. all the songs sound (almost, i'm honest) the same for me. it's too far dug into american culture so it will surely not please to a lot of non-american (wow i said "american" three times in the same post) fans, like me...i'm really disappointed and dislike this album.

i always skipped the country songs on show me your tears that i love for songs like everything is new, this old heartache or massif central.at the first listen, i found that there were always something on his records that pleased me (even in pistolero which deceived me too) but this time, i skipped each song...til the end.

(sorry, my first consequent post and it's something that a lot of people won't like)

NH3 OH I LOve YoU So Much

Edited by - Blaireau Man on 04/13/2005 12:18:31
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2001 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  12:30:54  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should really give Strange Goodbye a second chance.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  12:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaireau Man, a lot of people here love the Honeycomb, and are NOT american.
The songs are all very different, just try to listen to it a few more times to let it grow on you.
Strange Goodbye is great, Kiss my Ring, My life is in Storage...

I feel like a completely different person
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000