Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  04:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so....do you know when honeycomb will be released???

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  04:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The words of Jontiven, a man who would know..

"In the meantime, rest assured that it will be out this year and with luck, before the end of the summer."

hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

whitefrancis
- FB Fan -

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  08:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBConspiracy- You kind of answered that question yourself-about not resting on his laurels- he's done the rs/country thing to death. the last 6 or 7 haven't progressed any further than the band maybe getting their live recording technique down. sorry to say this everyone but if u wanna hear a GREAT live to 2 track, no overdubs album then listen to aha shake heartbreak, infinitely better.
and to answer your other q's, yes i can hear some grat frank in there at times, think sing for joy is a great song (even if i do feel lik singing 'pleased to meet you, hope u guess my name' during a certain bit), and yeah storage and atom contain the frankness that u obviously love like i do, but they're SO ordinary compared to when the big fella used to put out albums where every song was great.
show me your tears was a great catholics album, dog pretty good, the rest i DO like but hate having to skip a 'frank' song...just missing classic stuff is all. 1826 was probably the last what i'd call CLASSIC song of his, but like fellow classic blast off goes into jammy meh-ness for last half and loses points. and lyrically frank is nowhere near his brilliant best. remember when reading the lyric booklet while listening to the songs would produce a huge grin and goosebumps because of how cool a line was or a slight lyric change over a skipped beat etc. they might be giants can still give me that pleasure, just wish it was frank, he's my favourite and wanna be able to start raving about him again.respect the way you replied too- was expecting some "oh you're not a real frank fan blah blah' crap etc.from people but didn't-nice one. to finish things i'll say this: i'd take honeycomb over 80% of albums released these days anyway.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  09:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey whitefrancis, i don't have the right to question how much you like fb. It doesn't matter to me, I just enjoy talking to people, especially ones with alternative opinions, a chance to delve into something deeper rather than high-fivin because we both love Frank.
Hope you didn't think I was trying to attack in someway or believed my own opinion is greater than anothers. it never is.

Yeah, I agree the country thing started to wear a little thin with me, each album has something for me but the energy has gone and so I appreciate the FB that we have now in a different way to before. i don't think it's the songs, more the instruments used and the sound they make. I never really appreciated this sort of stuff, still think the sound can be very repetitive, but the songs are still there, somewhere behind the twang.
I'm an old fashioned distortion type of guy, but Franks mellowed me through the Catholics.
It's hard for me to find a favourite album they're that similar, but SMYT blew me away as soon as I heard it, probably because it seems so simple and not over played, and seems different to the others. More of a personal record. HC has topped this, and so I love to death.
But still, Franks playing at that slow pace again, something i'm so use to now and enjoy. But within all the catholic 'country' records, I still can find and love a cool riff, a witty lyric and a killer chorus. Frank never seems to lose the knack.

I think we have such feelings because both Frank and the music mean so much. Thank f**k for the music, hey.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  09:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"but hate having to skip a 'frank' song..." - i know what you mean

"remember when reading the lyric booklet while listening to the songs would produce a huge grin and goosebumps because of how cool a line was or a slight lyric change over a skipped beat etc" - yes, i remember

are you me from a parallel world or something?
Go to Top of Page

whitefrancis
- FB Fan -

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  08:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBConspiracy- no didn't think u were attacking or anything at all, wasn't sarcastic when i said i respected your reply, it was actually what i was hoping for when i posted originally. you said it best in your last post- i appreciate frank in a different way now too, just wanna appreciate the old way, and get those goosebumps/eargasms happening again! still looking forward to proper release and of course can't wait for new pixies album- i reckon they'll do one- may be some new classics on their way yet!
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  09:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, didn't think you sarcastic at all, it's me who worries about coming across like that.
Wow a Pixie album would be the must have record of the year. The mind boggles. We'll see.

Have you read this..

"...things move more slowly in the record industry than we'd like. But I can report that the company is planning on releasing HONEYCOMB in May."

Not long to wait to see how they can better the unofficial version. So can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  13:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks FBC that's awesome news!! I can't wait until the offical release!!! It's the most amazing album in my collection right now.

Yesterday I listend to it with my partner for the first time. We listened to it twice!! He loved it and his favorite song was the shimp song.

OK.. i gotta put it on again!
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  13:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's ok daisy girl, Jon posted it in another thread but i wasn't too sure if some of you had read it.

I agree about everything you say, especially about HC.
Almost as good as Cult of Ray

my fave for a while now has been 'Atom' but 'Sing for Joy'....wow!
What you girls do best, some soul much wiser than me once said.
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  08:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard a few fragments of Honeycomb...
At first sight, Lone Child remains in my mind, fantastic production, with a real bass, and deep vocals. Very original Frank B.'s song.
Sing for joy also grabbed my attention though it bears little similitude with Everything is new (that tends to prove the contrary...)...
Gotta listen more carefully the rest...
end of transmition.

I don't need a cure I need a final solution...
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  17:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the sing for joy/everything is new similarity is in the structure of the verse, both the chords and how he sings the words
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been listening to FB for almost 15 years now. And it’s surprising to read posts praising Honeycomb. In my opinion it’s the least interesting FB’s work we’ve ever had. All the commotion is because this is novelty, but in a couple of years I don’t think anyone will choose Honeycomb when in a mood to listen to FB. There is not one song which could be called brilliant (Manitoba or Dog in the Sand level, not speaking of Where is my mind, or Debaser).. He is older and he is different now. When people are getting older they tend to become more conservative, turn back to the roots. That what I think is happening with Frank and his music. Frank slowly but inevitably drifts toward country/folk mainstream. I’m afraid that we’ll lose Frank Black as we knew him in the 80’s-90’s. It’s the law of nature but anyway I love this man’s music with all my heart and am looking forward to new Pixies’ release. At least Bam Thwok gives some hope that for Kim the laws of nature are not true, cause the song sounds very classical and Pixies-like.

Edited by - Southbound Bevy on 03/02/2005 09:32:41
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:31:09  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I disagree.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree twice!

The greatest thing, you'll ever learn,
is just to love, and be loved in return.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  09:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know what you mean about FB drifting to folk/country, which i think he's been doing since the start of the catholics, slowly we've been building up to where we are, or will be soon, Honeycomb.

I'm a huge HC fan from what i've heard, but one thing in my mind that won't go away is that he's back playing the Pixie music, which means he must still enjoy rocking out otherwise i wouldn't have been able to see them last year. Hopefully, or maybe he might have been inspired to return to something similar to his solo work. But whatever style Frank writes in, i can always find something that makes me sit up and think he's only gone and bloody done it again.
actually, i don't have to find it, it's already there, just give me a few listens and it all becomes clear.

to me some of the catholics stuff is the least interesting, but that's just my tired opinion
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  12:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please, don’t get me wrong. I just want to say that it’s not the best work of my favorite musician and it’s not because that his music has come a long way from exclusive Pixies or early solo FB style - it’s just fine and I really like his modern sound - but because Honeycomb lacks 100% hits. All songs are a lot more than a drag, but a bit less than a hit. That’s the problem with HC.
…And…I miss his space and aliens revelations a lot. I had known so much about the big world outside from his songs of old. Not anymore. He could have put something like “last night he could not make it” or “space is gonna do me good” just for the sake of old fans and the purposes of enlightenment of the simple folk. He can really be an alien after all for some reason strenuously adopting a disguise of an earthy “normal” performer during the last few years. May be there is FRANK BLACK CONSPIRACY!
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  12:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd take a random track off honeycomb over bam thwok any day.

i think he got really sick of everyone asking him about aliens. change is good, sb. welcome to the forum!

A monkey will eat dirt if you make him.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  12:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we all agree on this: FBandtheCs world tour
in support of Honeycomb.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  13:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We Want Lyle!

and SB, there is an FBC, but it's not me. correct.

don't you think the man still has songs like 'Motorway' and 'Speedy' inside him still?
he chose to evolve his style of writing/sound, whether it was because of life's experiences and the knocks we recieve on the way
but this is still the man who wrote Debaser and Dead

yeah, and welcome to the forum too i think that's the first time i've ever said that, it's not my right, but hey!

(LYLE!)
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  06:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your welcome and it’s great to be a part of big man fans community.
What is LYLE (I’m not dumb)?
I do agree with you, FBC. And speaking of Honeycomb, it is the least interesting FB’s work for me. But at the same time, paradoxically enough, if I heard his old staff for the first time, say yesterday, I’d prefer to listen to HC.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  06:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Southbound Bevy

He is older and he is different now. When people are getting older they tend to become more conservative, turn back to the roots. That what I think is happening with Frank and his music.

correct

quote:

I’m afraid that we’ll lose Frank Black as we knew him in the 80’s-90’s.

correct too, but i'm not afraid. i'm quite happy about this ! not because i don't like this stuff, but there is nothing more depressing than an artist constantly repeating himself. especially when this artist is acknowledged for being "innovative" which is one of the terms the pixies/black francis were constantly confronted with.

when you look at a rainbow, can you pick out a single favourite colour ? no. it is the sum of all which makes it a pretty and fascinating picture. and so it is with the music of Chrales Thompson, at least for me. i can't say i prefer the pixies/solo/catholics/folk/ufo/metal/punk/rootsy rock/whatever era, it is just the sum of it all which makes this man so unique.

> i'd take a random track off honeycomb over bam thwok any day.

well put, dayanara. and i would even take the space between the HC-tracks over bam thwok. i mean, come on. this is a breeders b-side, at maximum. nothing against kim deal, but the essence of a pixies-song is the songwriting of FB, IMO.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

hWolsky
= Cult of Ray =

France
696 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  08:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Play the mirror game and applie critics to yourselves.

What about you all, the 15 past years...

"This ain't Rock'n Roll, this is genocide"
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  03:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
two reelers. No needto discuss such obvious things that are universally true. Of course it’s great to see evolution and advancement of the artist, but what is so innovative about HC, long solo in the second part of My Life is in Storage, or duo singing in Strange Goodbye? Musically and melodically this album is nothing new, though the lyrics are outstanding as always.
About the rainbow colors. It’d be great if it was as you said. I mean, it’s great to see them all at once in a perfect combination. But if one day you see yellow, next day – red, and the other – violet it’s a different matter altogether. This way you have all rights to choose your favorite. I bet you have your own color preferences.
Go to Top of Page

The Susquatch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to be very unlucky with soulseek. Only got one song so far "Sing For Joy". I was really disappointed with it. It sounded like an under eager country version of Nick Cave. Dont get me wrong. I like Nick Cave but I like Nick Cave 2 be Nick Cave and Frank to be Frank. I cant judge the album coz i dont have it yet. I just hope the rest of the songs are better than this. I fear its a step in the wrong direction so far and i have a feeling that the guitar solos i love so much may be few and far between. Are they??

Hang on to your Taco!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:25:36  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see the connection between Sing For Joy and Nick Cave. And don't worry about guitar solos, there are plenty of them and the 3 minutes solo on My Life Is In Storage is a masterpiece.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick Cave and Frank? I can't see it but I love both...Sing for Joy is excelent, but that's just my opinion.
And I agree with Denis, My life is in storage is a masterpiece.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:35:53  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the solo in Dark End Of The Street! It's even better. And the key change! Oooooh!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could go on and on with Honeycomb... can we have a little fun?

Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  11:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You’ll be laughing, that solo in My Life is in Storage with its water crystal sound reminds me of Pink Floyd. May be 1977, or 1994. Don’t say I’m crazy.
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  13:46:27  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what then, we're looking at a May release according to something I caught up top? I just dont; want to have to wait until August which seems to be the FB releases month of the last few albums. Is it still ooking like 2 discs now?

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

The Susquatch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  16:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its definately 2 discs in my mind, there are already 19 songs that have leaked and im sure they have worked on more

Hang on to your Taco!
Go to Top of Page

The Susquatch
- FB Fan -

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  16:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.s. August was always the month lol. I didnt notice until you put it in words. It works well though, indian summer appretiation of music is always most appreciated. You still have fresh thoughts of whatever you got up 2 and now your ready to settle in the warm evening sun to settle and listen to what you love best. Few panic attacks from the cold turkey but the music is the cold turkey and such beautiful cold turkey it is

Hang on to your Taco!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  05:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitefrancis

I can't believe you people. Honeycomb is EASILY his worst album.Downloaded it last night, listened on ipod today...MEH.
But love the big fella so will still buy it of course. But come on, who's got the balls to admit that it's ordinary and sounds like catholics(meh) b-sides? Not one CLASSIC frank tune anywhere to be seen on HC. I'd love frank to get back into multi-tracking and produce the proper 3RD FRANK BLACK album. His self-titled was great and teenager was friggin brilliant, so why start making rolling stones/alt-country albums? WHO"S WITH ME???

I'm with ya.

In fact I'd probably be the most harsh here.

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 03/06/2005 05:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1656 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  10:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HOneycomb is a great cd.................................................................................................................................................................................

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  03:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's true. It makes a great coaster.

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 03/07/2005 03:56:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page