Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deadlydoctor (Mr. Kevorkian, is it really you?), if you're still struggling, try reading the online documentation. It's pretty thorough. Basically, you'll want to log on and either search for "Frank Black Honeycomb" Napster-style, or add it to your "Wish List" so it will pop up when another user with those files logs on. You'll eventually come upon them, usually organized in one of two track orders. Be patient and don't try to download too much at one (usually one or two albums per user) or people will get testy.

Been listening to the album for a couple of weeks now. I really do like it. Experimenting with track orders, though it seems like the second order discussed here works best.

I already am planning to buy this album for myself and for a mid-year birthday present for my brother. I suggest -- at the risk of sounding like a nag -- that anyone using the information in this thread vow to buy the album when it arrives in stores.
Go to Top of Page

Sharpe_01
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  20:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2 cents on Honeycomb: It has some very good songs and a different feel from any of his other stuff. I like it and it sounds like it will be a winner, my only complaint is that it slightly reminds me of "easy listening" 80's type stuff at certain times... But its great otherwise and up to par with all his other efforts.

My favorites so far are "Sing for Joy", "Honeycomb","I Burn Today" and "Strange goodbye".

And I saw the Pixies on Letterman last night, they did "Monkey gone to Heaven"... All in all pretty good.

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  14:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe this isn't the finished version of HC I'm listening too.
I didn't know what to expect knowing it's come all the way from Nashville, but don't you think it has FB stamped all over it?

I think it's the most verse/chorus/verse album the Man's ever done, but that doesn't fool me. This is one of his most intimate and honest records I've had the pleasure of listening too. These songs have the most amazing choruses, so predictable, yet Franks voice is just so mesmerizing. In my years of listening to his voice, not one song can I remember hearing him sing like this.

Now, I'm totally stumped to think of what his next move is going to be. HC just seems the natural conclusion to his Catholics records.
And for the record, the means did justify the end.

All these questions in here hurt. Best let Honeycomb come out before I start cramming this cranium with 'what if's' and 'what nexts'. it does me know good. Just another album in the life of a frank black fan.

This one is special.

[EDIT: w'oh! this post doesn't in any way show how excited and in joy of this album I really am. I think it's f***king amazing and can't stop listening to it. I'm in awe)

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 01/13/2005 14:11:00
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  04:40:54  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave away to a friend my CDR of Honeycomb and won't burn another one. I'll just wait til the official record is released. Should happen soon now...

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  04:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's some will power.

I know this isn't the finished version I'm listening too, but what I do hear has got me under it's spell already.
I enjoy Franks music, but love to see the cover art and inner sleeve quotes too, so here we are in our buckets today vilainde, in the middle of bootleg and finished HC. It's an exciting place to be. This is going to be one fun year.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  06:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the official release date?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  09:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is one yet, but I haven't got all the HC facts yet.
Still taking it all in, I left the relevant threads alone because it was just too much, reading about it without actually hearing it myself.
It would have been like chinese torture or something. But a little less pain, I imagine.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 01/14/2005 09:29:37
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  15:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diggin the "I got blisters on my fingers" nod to john Lennon (that be Ringo, thanks nspanna) at the end of Velvet Nightmare.

Anyone remember the Beatles song John (EDIT: Ringo, oops!) yells this on?
been skipping through their tracks but no joy yet, it escapes me so far, and there's a few songs to go through.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 01/22/2005 02:51:57
Go to Top of Page

reo
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  06:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know who the musicians are on Honeycomb? I haven't heard it.

Is it gonna be on SpinArt?

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  09:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by reo

Does anybody know who the musicians are on Honeycomb? I haven't heard it.

check frnck's posts in the links within the link above. there be your answers.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 01/17/2005 09:46:43
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  10:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank black conspiracy

Diggin the "I got blisters on my fingers" nod to john Lennon at the end of Velvet Nightmare.

Anyone remember the Beatles song John yells this on?
been skipping through their tracks but no joy yet, it escapes me so far, and there's a few songs to go through.

Helter Skelter?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  11:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're right. i can just hear it now. even without listening to it. thanks velvety.
Go to Top of Page

NSpannaus
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  23:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ringo yells that... not John.
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  19:13:49  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is Ringo yelling it at the end of Helter Skelter. The actual recording of Helter Skelter is like 22 minutes and they edited it down for the version we hear on the White Album.

I love the referece as well.

I got me so down I got me a headache.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  00:14:53  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The super-long version of Helter Skelter is 27 minutes and 11 seconds long. Though the version on The Beatles was cut from another longer recording of the song. The 27 minute version was recorded in July of '68, and the recording eventually released was done that September.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  00:22:13  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
P.S. Connecting that to the subject at hand, yes, I enjoy the little nod made towards the Beatles there. My ex-girlfriend is a very casual F.B. listener, but she wanted a copy of Honeycomb because she's an enormous Beatles fan and enjoyed the blister line.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  02:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected.

Ringo's the man.
Go to Top of Page

NSpannaus
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  16:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
speaking of Helter Skelter.. does anyone have any versions of this song (bootleg or official) besides those found on the original white album and Anthology 3 ???
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  19:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, that Beatles conversation really killed the excitement of "Honeycomb" eh?

The album, from what I've heard so far...
It's fun. It's follows even more of the traditional country sound with a twist of Frank Blackism: you know, the weird chord progressions and the dark love lyrics. Actually, to define Frank Black would take many, many more words.

Anyway, this album is definitely a 'must buy, legally'
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  04:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my fault about the Beatles there Kirk.

I think the HC thing will take off when it's released. This is the thread to chat about it, but you'll probably find more posts in a general topic thread at the moment.

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 01/31/2005 04:17:15
Go to Top of Page

NSpannaus
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  14:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my favorite tracks right now are Song of the Shrimp, Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day, the title track Honeycomb, and the cover Dark End of the Street.... can't get enough of those four..
Go to Top of Page

Kirk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  08:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
!!! "In Storage" !!!

I hate that song (the first half of it), but it's the ONE song that sticks in my head. While at work, the chorus was repeating over and over and over again. You know, the part with 6/4 timing and the drums hit the snare on beats 5 & 6.

I can still hear that part and I haven't listened to the album for 2 days.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  11:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that part. It's what drew me to the song, the way the 5th and 6th starts so subtle but gets stronger through the song.

And now, it's stuck in there too. thanks Kirk!
(but i love it. unlucky you. frank's now subliminal. it's catchin')
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  22:39:13  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, with the beatles refrence and all, does Velvet Nightmare sound anything like Helter Skelter? Or any other beatles song? Dang, I can't wait to hear this album. What does it sound like, anyway?

How about some Ether?
Go to Top of Page

joetotale
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  01:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance of someone posting up a torrent of Honeycomb?

Been trying to download it off SoulSeek but with no luck.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  03:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could anyone post the official tracklist for Honeycomb? I'm kind of confused about it. Kiss my ring is not in there?
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  05:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think we have one yet. This was someones take on it, but was corrected by Jon Tiven.

1. Sing for Joy
2. My Life Is in Storage
3. I Burn Today
4. My Life Is in Storage (Is it suppose to be on here twice?)
5. Selkie Bride
6. Dark End of the Street
7. Lone Child
8. Another Velvet Nightmare
9. Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
10. Go Find Your Saint
11. The Shrimp Song
12. Violet
13. Atom in My Heart
14. Strange Goodbye
15. All Around the World

If this is wrong then please correct me.

Jon Tiven's reply:

"Close but no cigar.

If you substitute the song "Honeycomb" for "Storage" the first time it appears, and delete "All Around The World," you will have the HONEYCOMB album as it stands right now.
However, all sequences and song choices are subject to change. Or not.
Whatever is out there right now is not the official album. It is not mastered. It is probably not the final mix, although it may bear a strong resemblance to same.
None of us are certain at this time even if the album which will be released next will be HONEYCOMB or the one we cut subsequent to it.
So whatever you are listening to is, at best, a rough cut. As great as it may be, the official version will at the very least be fine tuned to express the artist's vision.

Enjoy it, but do not make any assumptions."

Edited by - frank black conspiracy on 02/08/2005 05:43:45
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  05:52:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I know (and given what Jon says in fbc's post), the exact one is:

1. Sing for Joy
2. Honeycomb
3. I Burn Today
4. My Life Is in Storage
5. Selkie Bride
6. Dark End of the Street
7. Lone Child
8. Another Velvet Nightmare
9. Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
10. Go Find Your Saint
11. The Shrimp Song
12. Violet
13. Atom in My Heart
14. Strange Goodbye

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  06:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks so good in print vilainde.

I do like 'All Around The World' alot, but these tracks would make one excellant record.
Go to Top of Page

whitefrancis
- FB Fan -

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  08:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe you people. Honeycomb is EASILY his worst album.Downloaded it last night, listened on ipod today...MEH.
But love the big fella so will still buy it of course. But come on, who's got the balls to admit that it's ordinary and sounds like catholics(meh) b-sides? Not one CLASSIC frank tune anywhere to be seen on HC. I'd love frank to get back into multi-tracking and produce the proper 3RD FRANK BLACK album. His self-titled was great and teenager was friggin brilliant, so why start making rolling stones/alt-country albums? WHO"S WITH ME???
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  10:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honeycomb is unfinished, but what we have I find hard to believe it could be thought of as his worst.

I'm a huge fan of FB, Teenager and Cult, and probably like you a little bummed out with each catholic release, as he seemed to be drifting further and further away from the music that so drew me in. But it wasn't hard to become a fan of the Catholics 'twang' sound because at the end of the day, they're still Frank black records. And he's never lost what he had in the beginning. The songs.
i take it you don't enjoy the Catholics work, as I believe HC to be the place Frank has always wanted to end up. And through the Catholics work, he's made it. you telling me you can't hear the beautiful fb choruses, like in 'Atom', 'Storage' even 'Sing For Joy'? The riff at the start of Honeycomb'? Don't these sound like the fb signatures and trademarks that litter his back catalogue? The hooks that keep us tied to him.

Sorry whitefrancis, i'm wasting both yours and my time here aren't I? I know how you feel about HC. It would be cool to have another multi-track distort filled onslaught of 2 minute wonders. It's good to have a dream. Maybe the future. The man never stands still or rests on his laurels. That'd be boring, to him more than us.

If you could be kind, could you just answer this last one. please?
Why should Frank 'not' have started making alt-country albums?
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  11:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Violet sounds like a b-side, I guess. There's no hook, any sort of interesting twist. Frank sounds like he's sleeping or something.
Other than that, the album is great. Selkie Bridge is amazing. I'm trying not to ruin it by listening to it to death, but I can't help myself.
I think the slow, solo version of Frank singing The shrimp song would have fitted Honeycomb well. But this version is also great. At least he kept the minor chord arrangement.
All the other songs are slowly showing their charms, too. Even Go find your saint, which I didn't like at all the first time I heard it, I've started to appreciate. The last part of that song is great.
I too would like to hear more of the FB/TOTY type albums. But other than a Pixies album, a harem and Frank spending 3/4 years working on an album (i.e. writing every part, working out every detail), this one-album-a-year system really works for me. As long as Frank can keep releasing songs of this quality, I'm nothing but grateful.
Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  12:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"One day soon and it won't be long, someone'll call my name and i'll be gone"

Then what?
Maybe listen to some Frank Black?
Me too.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  19:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Velvety, I disagree Violet to me is one of the best tracks on there!

I love the album I love all the songs on it. I love the lyrics and I love the music. It is all so beautiful and yummy. Thank you Frank for another wonderful album. To me, it's my favorite.

:) I listen to it all the time. Once a week I listen to it non stop all day!!!!! Now, that's the test of a great album!! And it passed!

I am just itching for the real release.

Go to Top of Page

frank black conspiracy
~ Abstract Brain ~

1126 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  02:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it was an itch, DG. Job offer yeah right.

scratch-scratch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000