Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  01:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
downloaded this last week from soulseek (i did install soulseek just for this purpose). needless to say i will buy the disc when it comes out, but i couldn't wait for another half year.

the first impression was: wow, it's a long way from trompe le monde. trompe and honeycomb, with these two discs one can describe the idea of music frank black has, i think. i'm not saying these are his best works (well, for me trompe somehow is, and honeycomb may turn to), but the span such a wide range (musically, conceptionally, lyrically,...) which is perfectly filled by all other albums. trompe and honeycomb are just like yin and yang, like alpha and omega. if you get these two albums, you get frank black. imho.

more or less all songs from honeycomb are really very, very good. i loved them instantly, which is rare for frank, espeacially the late works. the lyrical pictures are so beautiful("to melt like honey in the sea" from selki bride). "i burn today", "sing for joy", "atom in my heart", "selki bride" are among my favourites, but it's hard to rank with a collection of only A+ songs. (okay, "my life in a storedge" is not that brilliant). "violet" and "strange goodbye" - knowing the story makes it hard not shed a tear.
when frank goes mellow, he sounds like howe gelb. even the voices are similiar. honeycomb can be no doubt mistaken for a giant sand album !

BUT....

there are some songs on this album where i had the impression i've heard this before.
examples:

"selki bride":
"if you retuuuurn again" - "those where the daaaays my friend"

"i burn today" reminds me of "true blue"

"sing for joy" - a bit like "everything is new" or j.cash's interpretation from "jesus, i don't want to die alone"

but maybe i'm just looking for stains on this perfect album. if you don't have it already, get i, get it, get it (and of course buy it, buy it, bu it when it comes out!).

Open the gate, it's a big Wiener dog !

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  02:18:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WHAT? My Life Is In Storage, not brilliant? You probably haven't listened to it enough. I understand that some might not like the long solo at the end (that's the reason why a lot of people don't like Blast Off or 1826), but the sung part and especially the 2nd half (slow part) is mindblowing.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."

Edited by - vilainde on 10/19/2004 02:18:57
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  03:37:22  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blast Off is a cracker, was listening to it today on the plane.... I love this song, to me it sounds like well Bowie-influenced.

Just the good ole boys, never meaning no harm,
that all you ever saw
been in trouble with the law,
since the day they were born
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  03:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourites on what I'e heard from now:
Sing for Joy, My Life is in Storage, Selkie Bride, Velvet Nightmare, Dark End of the Street, Shrimp Song, SSMVGD, I Burn Today, Honeycomb, Lone Child, Atom in My Heart and Strange Goodbye.
Other songs are OK++ for now, but those above are wonderful.

So you have no point of reference, Donny.
You're like a child that wanders INTO THE MIDDLE OF A MOVIE!
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  07:25:19  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I gotta say i was pretty disappointed that Where The Wind Is Going isn't on the latest tracklisting - that would have to be near to my favourite. Probably the only songs i'm not a particular fan of are Kiss My Ring, Dark End Of the Street, All Around The World and Violet. The rest are damn good.

3rd Annual Australian Frank Black Countdown August 2003 - all involved parties rank EVERY released FB song from FB self/titled to the present - average ranks are calculated - beer (or suitable substitute) is added (mostly in drinking-game form - ie. rate a song well below its average and you drink a punishing amount), then sit back and enjoy a day of frank black....the only problem is quite often memory of the top songs is somewhat limited the next day
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  07:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never been one to cry from music (at least not non-classical music), but Strange Goodbye was probably as close as I came. Such a touching and absolutely bittersweet song. The next time someone asks me what bittersweet means, I'm slapping a pair of headphones on them and playing this track.

Selkie Bride is easily my favourite and would make a heck of a single (though those record/radio types might not like the longish intro, but they can burn in the deepest pits of hell reserved for those with no appreciation for music at all).

"Join the Cult of Frank 2.0 / And you'll be enlightened (free for 1.x members)"
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  07:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am only saying good things about this album, not that I have anything bad to say. Highway To Lowdown is straight off the meat rack. It's tighter that bango strings. In other words, I really, really like it. I can't get enough of it.

Free the Heel!
Go to Top of Page

NSpannaus
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  17:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all you lucky bastards need to get onto Soulseek and share this with me!!

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2001 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  05:28:45  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Strange Goodbye is brilliant.
By far the best song of the lot.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  05:53:25  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
why is everyone saying selkie bride? isn't it Selkie Bridge? or is that an error with my track names?

The Monkey Helper has arrived http://www.monkeyhelper.co.uk (that is my band)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  07:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Error in your track name.

Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SSMVGD 2000 v SSMVGD 2004

No contest. The former wins by a country mile. The new version just sounds like a bunch of tired old musos going through the motions.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

Avid-Fan
- FB Fan -

100 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  02:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't heard it yet... but I'm wondering does "my life is in storage" still contain the "funk" component that was originally listed in April?
ie. MY LIFE IS IN STORAGE / FUNK.

What was/is Funk? anyone..............

(( I talk plain talk ))

Edited by - Avid-Fan on 10/22/2004 02:46:06
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  07:38:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DI, I like the original SSMVGD too, not just 'cause I'm used to it, but because I love Eric's keys. Love em.

Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  14:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this CD. Frank's best ever is what my I'm thinking a few days into it...My favorite song is Honeycomb and it's Deep, dark, mystery depths... I could live inside that song. Anyone else love that song?
Go to Top of Page

Monsieur
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1688 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  20:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion we shouldn't discuss it on the forum. Having downloaded it is perfectly illegal.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  03:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

WHAT? My Life Is In Storage, not brilliant? You probably haven't listened to it enough. I understand that some might not like the long solo at the end (that's the reason why a lot of people don't like Blast Off or 1826), but the sung part and especially the 2nd half (slow part) is mindblowing.

Denis

for me, it's just too repetitive. the start is amazing, but after 30 seconds i've the impression that's it. the 2nd part - i don't really know.

p.s.: i love blast off and i almost hate 1826

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1029 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  03:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew

I love this CD. Frank's best ever is what my I'm thinking a few days into it...My favorite song is Honeycomb and it's Deep, dark, mystery depths... I could live inside that song. Anyone else love that song?

i also think the song honeycomb is amazing - for me it has a similiar same feel like subbacultcha, don't know why. guess the structure is really similiar.

Go to Top of Page

pong
= Cult of Ray =

France
315 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  08:21:11  Show Profile  Visit pong's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My fave : "honeycomb" ! what a beautifull singing on it !

- Pong

"i'll be on the first fligh"
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  16:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The start of honeycomb is cool, when it changes and goes into a small guitar intro before the singing, priceless!

This is a high class bureau de change, not some Punch & Judy show on the seafront at Margate!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:20:07  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This isn't even the finished result!
I have got high hopes for march 2005!
These 19 tracks doesn't seem to flow that good to me though
But it isn't like this is the tracklist, not at all, so I'll wait and see

Favourites so far: Selki Bride, Honeycomb, My Life is in Storage, Highway To Lowdown, SSMVGD (love this version, but the 2000 version has some really over the top guitars that I prefer), Shrimp Song (finally found its way)

Just a question; Sing for Joy, the lyrics sound straight from the heart, and that's great, but they sound a bit weak to me, as is Frank singing and the piano playing. I think the song is amazing and his big potential but this recording doesn't work for me. However, I only listened to it 4 times so maybe I am a bit too rushy with my review

one last question
on the last catholics tour they played a song
what was written down in setlists as Fare Thee Well
is that the same song as
Sad man's song on honeycomb?
I hear him sing Fare Thee Well some times

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:28:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tracklist is supposed to be:
SING FOR JOY
HONEYCOMB
I BURN TODAY
MY LIFE IS IN STORAGE
SELKIE BRIDE
DARK END OF THE STREET
LONE CHILD
ANOTHER VELVET NIGHTMARE
SUNDAY SUNNY MILL VALLEY GROOVE DAY
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
THE SHRIMP SONG
VIOLET
ATOM IN MY HEART
STRANGE GOODBYE

Dunno about the other 5, but I do hope Kiss My Ring will eventually be released cause it's one of my faves (Sad Man's Song & Where the Wind is Going are great too).

Denis

"If you do 7-Up, you can't ever do Coke or Pepsi. You've got to hold out for the best deal possible. It's about me being a smart businesswoman as well as a musician." - Jessica Simpson
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:31:07  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About Sad Man's Song, I think it's different to the Fare Thee Well song the Catholics played (though I haven't heard it). But I wonder who wrote it. Looks like it's a traditional song sung by a lot of people (Dylan and Jeff Buckley among others), under the title "Dink's Song". I guess it's similar to Constant Sorrow Man, i.e. a traditional song that everyone covers with their own lyrics. Does anybody have more clues?

Denis

"If you do 7-Up, you can't ever do Coke or Pepsi. You've got to hold out for the best deal possible. It's about me being a smart businesswoman as well as a musician." - Jessica Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  08:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

one last question
is that the same song as

Yes, it is the same song. I preferred the Catholics version. McDave referred to the Burl Ives version of this song when I spoke to him after the Edinburgh gig (Burl calls it Fare Thee Well, O honey").

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)

Edited by - Ten Percenter on 11/10/2004 08:43:38
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  11:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Tracklist is supposed to be:
SING FOR JOY
HONEYCOMB
I BURN TODAY
MY LIFE IS IN STORAGE
SELKIE BRIDE
DARK END OF THE STREET
LONE CHILD
ANOTHER VELVET NIGHTMARE
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
THE SHRIMP SONG
VIOLET
ATOM IN MY HEART
STRANGE GOODBYE

Denis

Are you sure about this tracklist? I thought it ended with the shrimp song? 'My life is in storage' being the second song, etc...
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  12:34:38  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the leaked version ends with Shrimp and has life in storage as second song

I do like the tracklist though

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  12:35:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

one last question
is that the same song as

Yes, it is the same song. I preferred the Catholics version. McDave referred to the Burl Ives version of this song when I spoke to him after the Edinburgh gig (Burl calls it Fare Thee Well, O honey").

"Fried food, cigarettes, no exercise, chest pain..." (Excerpt from the Angina Monologues)

Thanks for clearing that up!

Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  13:30:35  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been listening to it as it arrived off of Soulseek I suppose. I was sent the disc.

As follows:

sing for joy
my life is in storage
selkie bride
honeycomb
kiss my ring
dark end of the street
i burn today
i've been all around the world
highway to lowdown
velvet nightmare
sad mans song
atom in my heart
lone child
go find your saint
violet
sunday sunny mill valley groove day
where the wind is going
strange goodbye
song of the shrimp

But I did rearrange it to match what Frank had posted in the frist thread we heard about it:

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  22:20:29
Edited by - frnck blck on 04/11/2004 15:17:58

HIGHWAY TO LOWDOWN
LONE CHILD
ATOM IN MY HEART
SELKIE BRIDE
STRANGE GOODBYE
SAD MAN'S SONG
VELVET NIGHTMARE
SING FOR JOY
VIOLET
I BURN TODAY
KISS MY RING
GO FIND YOUR SAINT
WHERE THE WIND IS GOING
MY LIFE IS IN STORAGE / FUNK
HONEYCOMB
NEEDLE IN MY ARM (I assume this is "All Around the World" since that's a line in the song)
SONG OF THE SHRIMP
DARK END OF THE STREET

Which way is the correct order? I know none of this is final, I'm just wondering for what we have. It does flow better as it's being traded.

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"

Edited by - kingphilbert on 11/10/2004 13:33:33
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  08:37:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there is no correct order
I believe that dennis' (viliande) tracklisting
was the last frank posted

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  08:39:54  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think Jon Tiven confirmed the tracklisting I posted.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  12:03:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can't believe Highway to lowdown would not be on that release
and Go find your saint would.....
weird choice

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  12:14:58  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
btw is highway to lowdown a fb-original?
I can't find frnkblck posts about the album
couldn't find jon tiven's too
he does say 'bye' a lot
and on the weirdest moments
maybe we should block him

(if anybody of the record company is reading this: although I make a joke about it, I will buy the album, so will a lot of other people, so release the damn album, please sir)

Go to Top of Page

skeleton man1
- FB Fan -

30 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  08:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally found this album on soulseek listening to the song honeycomb as i type this also going to see pixies tonight in chicago very very excited
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  23:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soulseek also. I've got about half the tracks. Very nice. Still soaking it all in. But very nice.

Reminds me of when I was small and listening to my brother's LPs. Warm nights in the Ozarks -- headphones, wood floor, sleeping dogs, analog meters and fireflies dancing in the darkness.

I've been on a Pixies binge lately, so this mellow mood has struck me just right. It's really hard to believe the same man wrote "Debaser." Top of the head analogy is of Jackson Browne also writing for the Sex Pistols. My mind boggles.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  23:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triakel

Reminds me of when I was small and listening to my brother's LPs. Warm nights in the Ozarks -- headphones, wood floor, sleeping dogs, analog meters and fireflies dancing in the darkness.

beautiful. god bless you, brother.

-dan

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

deadlydoctor
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  16:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just downloaded Soulseek, how do I find this stuff on there?

Of course I plan to buy the album when it comes out, as I am a completist when it comes to FB, but I'd love to hear a preview of these tracks

--------
he’s tripping over graves • as rain begins to fall • and finally they escape when the shuttle bus is called
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000