Page: of 13

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  18:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starmekitten

ten percenter has started a thread up there in general frank black chat about fan promoting of the album and I've dug up a load of links and numbers for Brit radio/ online radio request and contact forms

ten percenter's thread:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13348

1.Does anyone have sirius or xm satellite radio? I don't, but I know they have some channels that we could email requests to that might have a much better acceptance rate than the clear channel stations.
2. Still, I think it is worth calling some of the clear channel stations a few times a day to try to request something for the heck of it. The one in Dallas has a special Sunday night show that is programmed by a dj at the station instead of by computer, so we might get some positive results through that kind of thing.
3. Call your good local cd stores about Honeycomb to ask if they have it (the more talk about it the better!), and at least buy what you can there in case they have top selling cd lists that they send out in their own weekly emails to their customers.
4. We need clarification about the sales tracking thing (soundscan?) that was discussed a long time ago: is it more valuable to buy at a big retail store that reports to soundscan, or do all cd stores report? I don't know the answer to that.

Man, all this buzz is really getting pretty exciting!

All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  02:50:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
which is best in theory:

Do i buy my copies from one store,
and tell my friends to purchase HC there too?

Or a one record per store policy?
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  09:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, should someone who lives in Europe order the album from Amazon.fr? Does anyone know something about that July 4th release date in France?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  14:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow this is so cool!! :)

I can't wait!!! ONE MORE MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiki, you could also request on cool alt rock stations that are online... my local fave: 89.3 the current. Plays great alt rock including FB from noon through the early am most nites. http://www.publicradio.org/applications/formbuilder/user/form_display.php?form_code=e7d78b6c2e2d

Or WOXY... another great internet station that plays FB!!! :) http://www.woxy.com/ (just click on the request song button to the right of the tool bar!!)
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  15:13:41  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cooking Vinyl

Monday 18th July sees the release of ”Honeycomb”, Frank Black’s first solo effort since 1996’s “The Cult of Ray”. The Americana-flavored album was recorded at Dan Penn's Better Songs and Gardens studio in Nashville, TN over a four-day period in April, 2004, a few days before the Pixies kicked off their very first reunion tour date. “Honeycomb” features some of the most celebrated players in music: Steve Cropper, Buddy Miller and Reggie Young on guitars, drummers Chester Thompson, Anton Fig, Billy Block, and Akil Thompson, David Hood on bass, and Spooner Oldham on keyboards, among others. “Honeycomb” was produced by Jon Tiven (Wilson Pickett, B.B. King, Robert Plant) who also worked with Black on his 1994 “Headache” EP. ”It was wonderful to have these incredible musicians poking fun at my non-Nashville chord progressions,” said Black. “And then give me a wink after a take to let me know that they approved and enjoyed it. I was so lucky to have them playing on this album.”
Black wrote all but three of the fourteen songs on “Honeycomb”, the exceptions being covers of “Dark End of the Street” (Dan Penn & Chips Moman), “Song of the Shrimp” (Roy Bennett & Sid Tepper) from the Elvis Presley film "Girls, Girls Girls,") and “Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day” (Doug Sahm). Some of the original Black compositions on “Honeycomb” include ”I Burn Today”, “My Life is in Storage”, “Atom In My Heart”, “Another Velvet Nightmare” (co-written with Reid Paley), “Go Find Your Saint” and “Violet”.

Those involved with the making of “Honeycomb” agree that it was a tremendous music experience. According to producer Tiven, “We spent more time having fun and charting the songs than we did with the actual recording; most of the songs were done in one or two takes.” The “Honeycomb” sessions also marked the first time that many of these veteran musicians, whose collective histories are entrenched at Stax Records, Muscle Shoals and American Studios - the three studios synonymous with Southern soul music - had played together. “This was the only time that I have ever been in a studio and had the strange feeling that I was witnessing something spiritual,” Black remembered. “When we were recording, those guys didn’t even look at each other, they closed their eyes and THEY MEANT IT. I have never recorded with people who meant what they played so much. ”I can say without a doubt that the Honeycomb session was the most moving and mind-blowing experience I’ve ever had in my musical career. Steve Cropper co-wrote the first rock’n’roll song that I ever sang in front of an audience (“In The Midnight Hour”). It was a pure pleasure to come full circle with Mr. Cropper.”

29 days, Daisy
International Honeycomb Day

Ah go on then.
You twisted my arm.
Think i'll have the day off work to give the record my undivided attention

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  10:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

The small blurb about Honeycomb on fnac.com had me laughing:

<<Pour ce nouvel album, l'ex-Pixies s'est entouré d'une pléiade de musiciens légendaires de chez Stax. Le son de cet album s'en trouve évidemment métamorphosé et passé l'effet de surprise, on découvre un album d'une richesse insoupçonnable. A noter la participation de Courtney Love sur un titre.>>

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!

Denis, as-tu lu les commentaires sur les autres albums?
C'est vraiment marrant.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  19:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

[quote]Cooking Vinyl

29 days, Daisy
International Honeycomb Day

whooo whoo!!! i am looking forward to this more than I do my birthdays!!!
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  02:58:27  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote

sorry guys
i've never been here during the release of another record.
very, very exciting.
can't wait for those who haven't heard HC to finally hear

Oooh, the potential threads we could have. Yay!

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  03:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hell, start a countdown thread.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  17:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not a bad idea..kiki..

Well Skatealex requested I Burn Today on WOXY and they played it today.

He rocks!
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  10:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tues June 28th is the official radio date.

STARTING TUESDAY, PLEASE FLOOD THOSE PHONE REQUEST LINES! We burn today!

Have a great weekend.
bye,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  11:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon, next time you pop in check out

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13348

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  21:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry folks for posting this in two threads... but I know a ton of you will want to catch this at 6pm est tomorrow!!! Sunday!!

Check it you can catch Frank BLack and Honeycomb this SUNDAY is the last chance for this show!!!

http://www.woxy.com/boards/showthread.php?t=28282

listen @ http://www.woxy.com/
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  07:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No prob, Daisy. Thanks for the timely reminder!

Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  11:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M. Tiven, the CD is sounding (and IS) so much better than what we might have heard a year ago!
It's really different and comparing to the ancient versions, I can appreciate the great job you did!

Congratulations!

Edited by - remig on 07/06/2005 11:08:30
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  12:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are all welcome. It's great that it's finally available for real.

best wishes,
Jon
Go to Top of Page

atomicbart
- FB Fan -

France
32 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  13:17:01  Show Profile  Visit atomicbart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Mr Tiven i love love love the soli of Reggie Young on Dark end of the the street and My life is in storage.
On my life is in storage (i read it's an impro), the touching is very sensitive, very real (i don't know if you're understanding my english !).
I think it's a fender sound am i right or not at all ?

Thank you very much
ps : you did a really good work, bravo

Atomicbart
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  04:47:05  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atomicbart

ps : you did a really good work, bravo

They sure did.

Frank, Jon and the rest who deserve a mention, you've made a great record.
I hope you're proud of it as we are of you
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  05:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know, how the soundscan-sales of HC are doing?
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  13:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Tiven, If there's one thing I can say I'm truly disappointed with about Honeycomb it's that such amazing songs were left off. I mean, "Kiss My Ring," what a great song! It ranks right up there with "Atom in my Heart." Then "All Around The World" and of course "Highway to Lowdown"! I guess you have to leave some songs off in order to have a record that's a reasonable length (I hate most 60 minute records), but is there any chance that any of these songs will ever be officially released on some kind of EP?

¡Viva los Católicos! http://adrianfoster.dmusic.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jontiven
= Cult of Ray =

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  13:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There will be a new album next year and dollars to donuts the songs you mentioned will be on it.

I would appreciate it if everyone who reads this thread would post a review on Amazon.com, it will help in a big way.

bye,
Jon Tiven
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  02:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr J Tiven : was wondering if any other tracks were recorded during the Atlantis session, or was it purely a one-off track for the Japanese release? thanks.

btw I would like to submit an amazon review, but I don't have the CD yet. Honeycomb release has been delayed for some reason in Australia & as far as I know, local copies are yet to surface. Not good...

** I'll Be Blue, True Blue, Jaina Blue **
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  19:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's so funny... I listen to records in layers.

I think the first cool subconcious thing I latch onto is the beat.

And now after looking at all the layers... the melody, the instuments, the vocals, the lyrics, I am starting to really appriciate the true beauty of the beat and rythm.

Jon if you're around can you share any info on the procussion?

I mean it's so beautiful and flows like a heartbeat guiding us through each song... it seems so efortless and soulful... but I know anything that good is has some true artistry behind it.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  08:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...is there another thread where people actually discuss what they think of the record?
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  16:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually if you look back at this thread zolt G, there was a lot of discussion prior. hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

mhotter
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  07:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Regarding: All around the world

Hi there. I just saw the Pixies play in Albany on Thursday night, and they played this "All Around the World" tune. It was the first time I heard it, and I'm curious, is this a new Frank Black song, a traditional song, or a cover? And is it available on any Frank Black-related albums? Thanks!

Put the needle in my arm
And I’ll be dead and gone
Put the needle in my arm
And I’ll be dead and gone
I wouldn’t mind a needle
I’ve just been on this road so long, oh boy
Been all around the world

Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  08:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'All Around The World' got recorded during the Nashville-sessions but didn´t make it on Honeycomb.
It will be featured on his new album 'The Sicilian', I think.
Wich should be released in the beginning of 2006, if I remember correctly.

I don´t know whether it´s a cover or an FB original. That´s an interesting question...
Does anyone know?

mhotter, how was the audiences (and your) reaction to 'all Around The world'?
Go to Top of Page

mhotter
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  08:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the quick and informative reply about the tune. The audience reaction was receptive, I thought. the response was pretty rapturous pretty much all evening. The band surprised us all by playing acoustically, as warm-up for today's appearance at the Newport Folk Festival. I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't get to see Joey rock the Les Paul, but it was a very enjoyable night nonetheless.

As far as my own reaction to the "All Around the World" song, I enjoyed it very much - thought it was a classic, hence my question about whether it was a cover or trad. song, thought I don't think so. It might be a variation on anolder song, though.

mhotter, how was the audiences (and your) reaction to 'all Around The world'?
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  10:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what I know it's a FB original. Like what Kella was saying, it was recorded when the other songs for Honeycomb were recorded.

Great tune!
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  11:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it´s good song. Quite folky. But not too much for my taste.
Glad to hear people (and in that case especially mhotter) enjoyed it.

It´s cool that the Pixies are playing some FB solo material.
For the first time, isn´t it? Or have they done that before?
They could even throw in some Breeder/Amps stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  12:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I am aware, this is the fist time they have played FB solo stuff. I believe there were rumors stuff for the Yellow/Orange album was intended to be for the Pixies, but I am not sure it that info is factual or not.

I think it's a good idea that they throw in Breeders/Amps stuff, too. B/C i think for the most part most of the fans of the Pixies like the solo work of the artists in the Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  16:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you´re right. Most people would like to hear a bit of solo material thrown into the mix.
It would be a good way to diversify their setlist a bit more.

Another way to do that would be with new Pixies songs, of course...
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  17:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, i was ass-uming they would do that too!!!

"I ain't goin to be what I ain't"
Go to Top of Page

gauth
- FB Fan -

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  13:58:09  Show Profile  Click to see gauth's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jontiven

You are all welcome. It's great that it's finally available for real.

best wishes,
Jon

Congratulations! One of the best FB records ever. The sound is remarkable. Good job Jon.
Go to Top of Page

Southbound Bevy
- FB Fan -

Russia
15 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  01:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the songs on the album sound different from what we heard on leaked version? May be it was disscussed already but I'm reluctant to follow the whole length of the tread which has become monstrous over the month I was out.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000