Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cabonga
- FB Fan -

Antigua and Barbuda
53 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2004 :  07:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Cabonga's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got it. Disc 2 is just great. More trumpets!!

Die Harder
Go to Top of Page

rocknrolldan
- FB Fan -

Australia
28 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  00:19:00  Show Profile  Visit rocknrolldan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I played it to a friend today when he was stoned, he thought it was Franks best yet. Maybe thats the ticket.

I was thinking it would of been cool if he released the demo with new, well recorded acoustic versions of Pixies tracks instead. Although I am starting to really like the 2nd disc , its only Subbaculture, Nimrods Son and Planet of Sound that i skip over.

"I like Lou Reed" she said...
Go to Top of Page

Alpha Soixante
- FB Fan -

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  06:05:21  Show Profile  Visit Alpha Soixante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Disc 1 is fantastic. It's great to hear Charles' guitar work - his playing is more sophisticated than I would expect, since it's usually drowned out by everything else. His delivery is great - intense yet subtle. I love a good Charles scream as much as anybody, but it's a cheap way to add intensity. This disc has it without the screaming. And there is nothing in world better than hearing Charles do a falsetto for the "I've been tired" line "why don't you tell me one of your biggest fears" then mimic the following guitar line with his mouth. Oh, and the fantastic version of Oh My Golly. This disc is hella better than their officially released live albums that I never listen to.

Disc 2. I'm glad he did it. It's interesting. But it's tiresome. I doubt I'll return to it often. I know I'll never listen to it beginning to end again. But it's not bad, and there's some good versions. I don't like the first half so much--except the ringing, chiming, chugging version of Levitate Me, which is great. The second half is pretty cool. The version of Velouria is freaking beautiful. The high school band version of Holiday Song with thumping tuba and jumping horn section is great. The eery slightly apocalyptic versions of Into the White, Is She Weird, and Subbacultcha are pleasingly disturbing.

Planet of Sound. Overkill. Too bad, it starts off great. It actually starts off sounding like the Hidden Cameras, then gains a pretty satisfying Velvet Undergroundy feel with solo Lou delivery and Moe Tucker on the drums. Then it becomes a very failed attempt at a Sister Ray of Charles' own. On and on and increasingly more annoying.

Go to Top of Page

Brackish Heart
- FB Fan -

Australia
176 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  02:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Brackish Heart's Homepage  Click to see Brackish Heart's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've only listened to disc 2 once, but i thought it was utter shite.

I look forward to posting in the future and refuting my own opinion.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  07:44:58  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got it yesterday. I do like CD2. As some said, I'd like to hear those versions with percussions. I want techno remixes of that stuff.
CD1 kinda got on my nerves when I listened to it, but I'll give it another try.

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

PearlJamaholic
- FB Fan -

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  06:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got this cd the friday it came out. so ive had plenty of time with these discs. the first disc is just too cool. its kinda the birth of the pixies and to have it to listen to is awesome. i really thought id hate the techno stuff. but like the second disc. maybe im the only one but the 15 minute planet of sound just rules. i listen to disc 2 alot more than disc one. now if only best buy would get the picture that people buy frank black. everytime a new frank black album comes out they get like 5 copies and never restock.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2004 :  21:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really loving disc 2 and I must admit it has gotten me listening to all my Pixies cd's again, even more than seeing them live again did. The best thing for me has been hearing my four year old son sing "this monkey's gone to heaven" as we drive around in the car, having got it stuck in his head earlier in the day. Then playing the "real" version for him and have him say that Frank "is a really good singer when he yells 'god is seven...'". Wow, great moment in fatherhood.
Go to Top of Page

Bluish Black
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  03:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had frankblackfrancis a couple of weeks now. I bought it for disk 1 which I got just as a completist really. Although I will probably not listen to disk 1 very much I am listening to disk 2 quite a lot. It is excellent background music and his vocals are really good on it, and in fact it reminds me of the solo show he did in Camden around the same time he recorded it. I still have that show as the best gig I have ever attended, so it is well worth it just as a reminder of that show.
Go to Top of Page

Rauck_stah
- FB Fan -

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  07:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Rauck_stah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whew... This set is a roller coaster ride. Disc 1 just made me tense all over. They're good demos. The quality is nice, but man... too much makes my head hurt. And disc 2 was the antidote. It's good to have on for backround sound, but it gets kind of old if you just sit and listen to it. I don't know how many times I thought to myself "Damn.. Planet of Sound is STILL playing?"

Rauck Stah - The Man Who Is Too Loud
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  11:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone having problems with Disc 2? My canīt play Planet of sound and some players just donīt recognise the CD! The store where I bought mine gave me another, to see if that happens again, and itīs the same! They are saying that maybe all of them have problems, but it seems that my is the only ...
Anyone happened this? I need some help!!

...Love, love, ain't this enough
Pushing around
To find little comfort in words
But words
Well they cannot love
Don't waste them like that
Cus they'll bruise you more
Go to Top of Page

Rauck_stah
- FB Fan -

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  12:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Rauck_stah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've played my second disc on my discman, computer, and car stereo with no problems. Sorry . Are you sure it's not the machine your playing it in?

Rauck Stah - The Man Who Is Too Loud
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  13:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Iīve tryed on the computer, discman, DVD player, and it only plays on the worst player that I have in my kitchen...this never happened to me before!
The man at the store told me that this might be a problem with all the CDs. But maybe in Europe is a different edition from the USA.
Iīm very sad.

Pushing around
But words
Well they cannot love
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2004 :  16:38:12  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is anyone having problems with Disc 2? My canīt play Planet of sound

I think it's trying to save you from annoyance. <g>

"Signature quotes are so lame." --Nathan
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  05:53:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mine plays planet of sound
without a problem
I'm sorry for you rita

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4109 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  07:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Billgoodman, I donīt know what to do, at the store they donīt know what is happening either...this must be a curse!

Pushing around
But words
Well they cannot love
Go to Top of Page

dogjones
- FB Fan -

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  13:18:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dunno how people who can reference obscure nashville session musicians and obsess over artists who's albums barely run a circulation of a few hundred thousand can call that 2nd disc "techno" in any respect/form/shape...but well...i'll keep my cool
Go to Top of Page

Foucaults Dog
- FB Fan -

Ireland
124 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2004 :  23:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rita

Is anyone having problems with Disc 2? My canīt play Planet of sound and some players just donīt recognise the CD! The store where I bought mine gave me another, to see if that happens again, and itīs the same! They are saying that maybe all of them have problems, but it seems that my is the only ...
Anyone happened this? I need some help!!

Pushing around
But words
Well they cannot love

Yeah my disc two was playin up... A good wipe sorted it out. Think it's a combination of static and a cardboard case.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2004 :  02:06:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dogjones

i dunno how people who can reference obscure nashville session musicians and obsess over artists who's albums barely run a circulation of a few hundred thousand can call that 2nd disc "techno" in any respect/form/shape...but well...i'll keep my cool

Uh... I'm a big techno fan, actually I listen to electronic music much more than indie (see the "bought any CDs" thread), and IMO the treated disc does sound "techno" in a way. As I said before, I'd love to hear these songs with a beat. It doesn't have to be done with computers and synths to be called "techno".

Denis

"I believe in your perfect face..."
Go to Top of Page

onemoreover
- FB Fan -

26 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  18:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After thrashing FBF for a good six months, Planet of Sound gets better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better and better ...

lots of guys who shook their heads
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000