Adda LeeeEEEEwww
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  10:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
God forbid I'm treading on all-to-familiar soils, but has anyone noticed this really out of tune harmony on Adda Lee? Pretty strange considering how polished the album is in terms of performance. It's pretty buried but it's there alright.

It's at aboooout 1:02 during the "And Adda weaves awa-aaa-ay, Adda weaves awaa-aa-aay" bit.

http://www.btinternet.com/~edphipps/bleh.mp3

By the powers of Greyskull, I am bored.

"Join the cult of Ray/He was the best Ghostbuster"
www.doog.tk

Edited by - Doog on 04/05/2005 10:14:09

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  10:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intentional.

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, what's wrong with it?

also, isn't it "ada waves away" ?

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!

Edited by - floop on 04/05/2005 11:05:51
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always assumed it was brilliantly unintentional.

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
either way, this makes me want to listen to this song now. i fucking love this song (and this album)

ist es möglich für ein quesadilla skrotum zu lecken? beim sprechen der quesadillas von LBF, ja. ja in der tatheheheheheheehehee!
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word!

I still believe in the excellent joy of the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  11:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never thought that sounded wrong. The song is a little crazy, anyhow.
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:24:29  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea bare

Blats
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's an unconventional harmony considering the key signature of the song, but not really "out-of-tune" per se (unless you're Simon Cowell). It almost sounds like a pitch shifter is being used.

Adda Lee: proto math-rock?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or Frank is being stretched by a big stretching thing.
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  16:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Okay, lame post, I admit it. Still annoys me though, I'm too much of a Beach Boys fan..

Hearing Frank Black do a dodgy vocal take is like seeing a picture of Jesus Christ with bits of fried egg caught up in his beard. And I'm not even religious.

"Join the cult of Ray/He was the best Ghostbuster"
www.doog.tk

Edited by - Doog on 04/05/2005 16:42:17
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  20:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whats with the micro bullshit?

write a song and sing it.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  00:27:02  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

It's an unconventional harmony considering the key signature of the song, but not really "out-of-tune" per se (unless you're Simon Cowell). It almost sounds like a pitch shifter is being used.

Adda Lee: proto math-rock?

Thanks, Chris. I think Peter Radiator is renowned as "king of informative posting", and you're somewhat overlooked. But you seem to know a lot about music theory, and I normally look foward to reading your posts. Ever consider posting more often?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  04:36:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It does sound a bit off key to me though

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  10:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream
Thanks, Chris. I think Peter Radiator is renowned as "king of informative posting", and you're somewhat overlooked. But you seem to know a lot about music theory, and I normally look foward to reading your posts. Ever consider posting more often?

Wow - thank you for the compliment. To be honest, I usually consider posting less often, since I spend way too much time on the net.
BTW, I downloaded one of your songs - I'll be sure to comment on it one of these days.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  16:13:49  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's an unconventional harmony considering the key signature of the song, but not really "out-of-tune" per se (unless you're Simon Cowell).

I think it sounds like a mediocre karaoke performance on a cruise ship.

"Reunion? Shit union!"
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  14:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Or Frank is being stretched by a big stretching thing.

For ages I was stuck with a mental image of this. Then I started to imagine Jackie Stallone, mud-wrestling naked with Nana Moon, Mo Mowlam, and Camilla Parker-Bowles. Now I've got to go for a wank.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get help for that, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Devils Islander
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  14:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Err...not since my gran died.

...where the Ballyhoos and the Tritons are.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  03:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(spits out coffee!!)
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  05:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This song never really caught my attention. Never skipped it but never replayed it either.
Yesterday I was listening to "Black Is Beautiful" on my iPod and it blew me away! This live-version of "Adda Lee" is so powerfull. Frank is really getting into it there.

"...a whishing well, OF WELL WISHING, AND ADDA WAVES AWAY-HAY, ADDA WAVES AWAAY-HAAAY-HAAY-HAY..."

Man, he sure can holler! Now I even like the much quiter album version of it.

I love it, when I discover songs through their live-versions. Had the same experience with "I Bleed"

Edited by - kelladwella on 06/07/2005 05:51:37
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  05:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, kelladwella, I know what you mean about the live-versions of songs, I'm listening to Nadine US single with Hermaphroditos, Los Angeles, Jane the Queen of Love and Gouge Away, all live with the Catholics...fuckin powerful stuff, Frank's vocals on Hermaphroditos are wild, he really lets loose, and the guitars are fuckin on fire...I think this one really captures the moment...

offtopic: [kelladwella did you see those pics of Rich slidin with his Heineken from The Mercy Lounge. I went to get the band a round of Shiner Bocks, but they didn't have it in the bottle, only on tap, so I thought of you when I saw the Heineken on display behind the bar and got that for Rich and the boys...by the way, how do you locals view Heineken in the Motherland?

Edited by - OldManInaCoffeeCan on 06/07/2005 05:56:31
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  06:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, OldMan, that reminds me to keep my eyes open for more live-albums and bootlegs. You may know the songs, the soundquality may sometimes be worse, but there´s these moments...

Have to look for that single. Sounds like a "hard to obtain"-thing overhere though.

(OT: Saw the pics and love them. I allways enjoy your reviews/pics from Rich and Joshua. Thanks to them I found "Hellbent And Brokenhearted", when I was looking for some alt-country-inspiration. As for the beer, some of the dutch posters here on the board should answer that, since it´s a dutch brand. Try to get them a round of Beck´s, Jever, Warsteiner, ... and I will be in a position to answer.)

(Off to work now)
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  06:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't care, I love this song!!
Go to Top of Page

OldManInaCoffeeCan
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1467 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  07:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
offtopic: [Ohhhhhh, my bad, show's you how much I know about imported beers, I always assumed Heineken was German, oh well, it's the thought that counts, right...Yeah, kelladwella, I'll get a round of Beck's at the next show, most bars here in Guitar Town serve Beck's, I don't recognize those other two beers but I'll keep my eyes open for them...]
Go to Top of Page

adda flea
- FB Fan -

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  17:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, wasn't this topic killed last month? To think that frank would miss such a thing is unthinkable. It certainly adds to the power of the song. And yeh, I saw him perform it in Tiajuana on the first tour and it was absolutely fucking amazing live (I also liked duke of earl on the acoustic).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000